PDA

View Full Version : Sherman Oaks, CA

stoster38
Jun 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
I will be pre-ordering on the 15th for pickup at the Apple Store. Anyone else going to the Sherman Oaks Apple Store on June 24th? :)

andrewb21
Jun 10, 2010, 08:23 PM
Thinking about it... Might ship to the apartment though.

stoster38
Jun 11, 2010, 04:44 PM
I thought about having it sent to my apartment but I just don't want to be stuck at home waiting for Fed Ex or UPS to deliver the phone. I've had issues with deliveries coming late in the day.

I'd rather pick it up, take it home, and activate it. Once that's done I'll have the rest of the day to do what I want. Plus it can be fun hanging out with all the other Apple fanatics!!

andrewb21
Jun 15, 2010, 07:39 PM
Decided to pre-order for delivery, though I may swing by the Apple Store for a bumper at some point in the day.

h1kar1
Jun 16, 2010, 01:52 PM
I should be there.
I have one pre-ordered for my self to my house.
But i could not get my wife's and mothers orders in-before they were closed.
But was able to reserve them.

My wife wants the white one if its available so not sure how things are going to work with reserve line and switch from black to white.

But we all will be there

stoster38
Jun 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
By the time I was able to preorder my iPhone the Apple system said there were no more reservations available so I'm having the phone sent to my apartment. I hope it doesn't take too long to get delivered.

iphone1105
Jun 16, 2010, 03:42 PM
Where in Sherman Oaks is everyone? I'm on Willis and Ventura, right by the Galleria!

To bad I'd love to mee you all, but Apple's shipping my baby to my place, nice thing I already had off next thursday!

DJ ReFRESH
Jun 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
I was only able to secure a reservation. Now I have to decide between going to the store at 7a or during lunch.

I've never bought any Apple product at launch so I'm not sure what kind of chaos I should be prepared for

h1kar1
Jun 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
I've done one after work at sherman oaks and it was a mad house was there to 10 and did not get anything had to go back in the morning got it them with in 2hrs

Shearman oaks don't let you camp out so its kinda of an even playing feild if you show up early.

But they are kinda strict last time no chairs didn't let people on and off line.
even dragged a fater away last year in handcuff's becuase he wanted to get in line with his 10year old son who was there all day was pretty bad.

any how i will be there.. not that i want to .....

DJ ReFRESH
Jun 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
^^ Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll show up in the morning, just before they open. I'm not camping out/staying up all night for a phone.

stoster38
Jun 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
I was kind of bummed that I couldn't get a reservation but was happy that I did get a preorder to ship to my place on the 24th. After reading stories that Apple stores have tons of reservations I'm kind of glad that I'm having the phone shipped to my place.

I'm not sure how many people will show up to the Sherman Oaks location but it's gotta be a lot more than there was when I bought the 3G 2 years ago. It took me several hours to get the phone and activate it due to server issues.

So I'm hoping that by now having the phone shipped to me I'm going to avoid most of the crowds and hopefully there won't be too many server issues that first day so I can activate my phone!!!

HenMaster6000
Jun 18, 2010, 07:03 PM
I'll be there at 7am (hopefully). Just needs to go on time so that I can get to work!

BrianPatrick
Jun 18, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hey all! I wasn't able to reserve my iPhone 4, so I'm planning to get to the Sherman Oaks store early to get one of the phones they'll have for walk-in customers. I know they open at 7am, and I saw someone else post that they don't let anyone camp out. However, I still figure I need to get there earlier to get in whatever line there may be.

So anyone have any advice on what time I should arrive (esp. given the apparent high demand for this launch and the number of people who weren't able to reserve a phone)?

stoster38
Jun 20, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hey all! I wasn't able to reserve my iPhone 4, so I'm planning to get to the Sherman Oaks store early to get one of the phones they'll have for walk-in customers. I know they open at 7am, and I saw someone else post that they don't let anyone camp out. However, I still figure I need to get there earlier to get in whatever line there may be.

So anyone have any advice on what time I should arrive (esp. given the apparent high demand for this launch and the number of people who weren't able to reserve a phone)?

If it's like the 3G launch and the server issues that AT&T had then you're going to be in line for a while. If it was me I'd probably be there between 5am and 5:30am. Since the Apple Store is going to open at 7am that day Security will probably be letting the people standing in line, outside the mall, in about 6am more or less. That's just a guess but based on past experience they let us in about an hour or a little less before the iPhone 3G and the iPad launch times.

DJ ReFRESH
Jun 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
Which entrance will they be unlocking early for ppl to enter the mall?

stoster38
Jun 21, 2010, 11:28 PM
Which entrance will they be unlocking early for ppl to enter the mall?

The couple of times I've been there is the entrance that's about 100 feet past the Macy's on the inside part of the mall near the parking structure. You should see other people lined up there so shouldn't be to hard to spot.

BrianPatrick
Jun 22, 2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone! This matches up with what the people at the Apple Store told me. They tell me that with previous launches, security has let people line up at that entrance by Macy's, then let the line enter the building less than an hour before Apple's opening time. They imagine the line will start by 5am, but it's hard to gauge. One of the employees there said that he wouldn't be surprised if people were at least parking and waiting in their cars starting at 4am. But I still do wonder if security limits when you can park, or when you can get out of your car and line up, etc. I might stop by the mall and try to get some answers from the security people there, just to be sure.

I may be crazy, but this is the first time I'll be getting an Apple product on launch day...and if I DON'T get the iPhone 4 by this weekend, I may have to wait until the end of the summer (long story). So I'll be pretty devestated if I get there too late to buy one of the phones reserved for walk-in customers!

h1kar1
Jun 22, 2010, 11:46 AM
BrianPatrick,

Please let us know what you find out.
I was planing on calling the apple store tomarrow and seeing what they say.
I have only done this once in the past and it wasn't release day. It was the day after and they wouldn't let you park or line up before a set time.

tiresias314
Jun 22, 2010, 04:11 PM
I was at the Apple Store yesterday (Applecare replacement of my 3G, now I'm ready to sell it), and the guy told me "better get here early". I asked if the mall was going to open early, and he said yes but didn't know when. I was thinking of arriving about 6AM, but now I'm thinking maybe 5:30AM? Either way, I'll bring my laptop and a movie to watch.

BrianPatrick
Jun 23, 2010, 02:44 AM
Hey guys...stopped at the security office Tuesday afternoon, and they told me they'd be determining everything sometime midday on Wednesday regarding their line-up policies for Thursday morning. I'm calling them in the afternoon to confirm what they've decided. I'll post the details once I find out!

Just FYI...I've learned that the people at the Apple Store can't really help us with this (unless security tells them the plan sometime before Thursday morning). As of now, the staff there are just basing their advice on past launches. The official decision comes from security.

More info to follow! :apple:

Dstopsie
Jun 23, 2010, 07:02 AM
HI everyone

just make sure you line up downstairs nears the macys enterance. I was there for the 3G lauch at 5am and while I lined up downstairs some people lined up upstairs near the food court. The line is always downstairs so I just wanna make sure everyone goes to the right enterance near macy's where the B OF A ATM machine is and California pizza kitchen is.

Also this store in the past had alot of stock on launch day for 2G and 3G. I pre ordered through apple 3GS cuz of the nightmare activating the 3G.

As for me, I pre oredered my baby through apple and I got the apple email saying it's being delivered today.

Hope this helps.

DJ ReFRESH
Jun 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
^^ Thanks a lot for the information. Much appreciated

heatherlovesmac
Jun 23, 2010, 02:18 PM
hmm i'm thinking about coming here too. I don't have a pre-order. I'm thinking like 5 am. I live in hollywood, but all the stores near me are a mess and have really no place to park for this.

entrance near the CPK what you are talking about?

thanks for the info guys!

carlywarly
Jun 23, 2010, 09:15 PM
Does anyone have any updated info? I am aiming to get there around 6am - I have a reservation but want to try and get in and out pretty quickly!

stoster38
Jun 23, 2010, 11:24 PM
Sorry no updates but I did get my iPhone 4 today!!! So far it's awesome. I still have to play with it some more. I've already set up folders and bought iMovie from the App store. The screen is amazing!!! The extra ram and more powerful processor sure make it so much faster than my 3G.

I just have to remember when I use my iPhone at home to make sure I turn on the WiFi now that I have the 2GB data cap. Not that I ever came close to 2 gigs but if I start taking video and uploading it to YouTube that could happen before I know.

Good luck to you all tomorrow and I hope the lines aren't too crazy for you. I can't wait for you all to get your hands on another great piece of technology from Apple!!!

SirHaakon
Jun 24, 2010, 01:17 AM
Whatup campers... use #soi4 to keep up with the Sherman Oaks location on Twitter.

BigEvil
Jun 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
Just left shoals store. 3 hr wait before u get into the mall to be separated into the reservation line. I'm coming back later, not waiting in line to get in line.

stoster38
Jun 25, 2010, 07:44 AM
Just left shoals store. 3 hr wait before u get into the mall to be separated into the reservation line. I'm coming back later, not waiting in line to get in line.

Wow that's pretty bad. I'm glad I ended getting my phone delivered to me this time around!!! I hope all of you were able to get a phone!!

h1kar1
Jun 25, 2010, 09:16 AM
Iphone 4 Experiance

Wednesday night drove by at 7pm there were about 20 people camped out.

Thursday morning showed up at 6am line was down to the stop sign with in an hour line went around down to the macy's entrance.

Once the line got inside the building your were split up reserve/non-reserve

Took 7hrs with reservation to get our phones. when we were next on reserve line the guys that were next on non-reserve guys have been waiting since 3am. We were in the store getting phones at 2pm.

oo yha come 1pm they told everyone out side there were no non-reserve phones left. people inside were still holding out trying to get some.
Not sure how many got them from what the 3am guys said the distribution was 20 to 1 for phones.

DJ ReFRESH
Jun 25, 2010, 09:55 AM
^^ Pretty much what he said

I got there at 630 and was walking out with the phone at 230. By comparison, my brother went to the Pasadena store at 5a and was at home with his phone by 930.

Apparently, a major part of the problem was that people (myself included) were having to call their banks bc they had blocks put on their accounts due to 'suspicious transactions', thus slowing the line down. I guess hundreds of thousands of iPhone purchases in one day set off some alarms.

Add to this that it wasn't just 'buy the phone and go' - ppl were hanging out in the store and chatting it up with employees, post-purchase. After standing in line for +7 hours and another 45 minutes in the store, that was the last thing I wanted to do.

Talked to some cool people and finally got the phone but I don't think I'll EVER go this route again. If I can't preorder, I'm definitely waiting a few weeks for the hype to die down.