PDA

View Full Version : Dual 1.6 GHz and new Monitors!!!!!

JamSoft
Aug 12, 2002, 02:13 PM
:) :D :p :cool:

Here's a list of information that I have gathered from various sites. I hope all of this comes true!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

macrumors.com

New PowerMacs 8/13/02

Various reports have been coming in confirming the announcements of new PowerMacs tommorrow by Apple. As well as one unconfirmed report (so take with a grain of salt) of price drops on the new machines. Apple/Ingram has discontinued the current line of PowerMacs.
Jaguar also appears to be ready for public use -- Xlr8yourmac.com posted a reader report that a new iBook came with a copy of Jaguar.

irumors.com

New Keyboard and Mouse

As we reported on August 10, new keyboards and mice will be released tommorow (8/13) along with new Powermacs.
_ The mice and keyboards will quite possibly be Bluetooth compatible (wireless), although this feature will probably be unveiled in later hardware revisions. Both of the accessories will sport a colour change in line with the new PowerMacs, meaning they will be a colour a silvery white colour. Apart from the colour, the mice and keyboards will have a similar design to the current versions.

yourdailymac.com

Breaking News on New PowerMacs was leaked to yourdailymac.com early this morning. And we are posting the stats that we recieved below. So if you have any feedback or comments be sure to email us.

Fast:
1.2 GHz G4
512 MB DDR RAM (finally!)
60 GB HD
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4MX 64 MB DDR
$1599

Faster:
1.4 GHz G4
512 MB DDR RAM
80 GB HD
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4MX 64 MB
$2199

Fastest:
Dual 1.6 GHz G4
1 GB DDR RAM
120 GB HD
SuperDrive
ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB
$2999

Build-to-order options:
Up to 4 GB DDR RAM
Ultra160 SCSI
nVidia GeForce4MX (standard), nVidia GeForce4 Ti ($150 more), ATI Radeon 9700 ($150 more), or Matrox Parhelia ($250 more)
Zip drive
AppleCare
All systems include:
Gigabit Ethernet
GigaWire (1394b)
USB 2.0
AGP 8x
PCI-X 133 MB/sec
56k modem
AirPort ready
Bluetooth built-in
New "snow" case (similar to spy photos)
DynaCool turbine cooling

Breaking News on New Monitors was leaked to yourdailymac.com early this morning. And we are posting the stats that we recieved below just like the powermacs.

17" was $999, now $599
New 19" $999
22" Cinema was $2499, now $1499

mystixman
Aug 12, 2002, 02:17 PM
If that is true I will blow my load. lol:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

topicolo
Aug 12, 2002, 02:17 PM
These rumors sound pretty impressive and they should be more accurate considering the fact that the pmacs are so close to being released. THe parhelia item bugs me tho. Matrox hasn't supported macs since the Millenium, it seems kinda unlikely that they'll start now. Besides, the Parhelia is a crap card that's the laughingstock of the pc world. Apple doesn't need them

Geert
Aug 12, 2002, 02:25 PM
this is bull of course.
Wish it were thruth, especially the line-up and Bluethooth compatibility ;)

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by JamSoft
22" Cinema was $2499, now $1499
Cutting $1,000 of the current price, that I find VERY difficalt to believe, there is no way there would be such a MASSIVE price reduction.

jelloshotsrule
Aug 12, 2002, 02:32 PM
it's all just too hopeful

the only thing i could see is the powermacs... and that is pushing it

the powerbooks are beyond what i could imagine. and a 17" for 600... i doubt it.

but, i'd love to see it. of course

cesar
Aug 12, 2002, 02:32 PM
and the quad-powermacs???

topicolo
Aug 12, 2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

Cutting $1,000 of the current price, that I find VERY difficalt to believe, there is no way there would be such a MASSIVE price reduction.

I believe it. There has been a recent upgrade of manufacturing processes in the LCD factories to 6th gen I believe. These factories are pretty much only cranking out monitors 17" and above ::eek:::eek:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 12, 2002, 02:51 PM
a 22" LCD for $1500?!? Everyone who was lured into buying a new machine and monitor by the rebates will be pissed, that just doesn't make sense.

If they do go with new montiors - 17" and 19" are just going to be wide format versions of the 15" and 17" currently available (sort of like what happened to the LCD iMac). I'm thinking the 22" is going to be dropped.

D

Liamcow
Aug 12, 2002, 03:10 PM
so if these changes do take place, will apple still keep a few of their old products at a really low price, like 15" monitor for like $400 or the 933MHz powermac for maybe $1300? i want a 15" flat panel and the 17" won't fit my workspace, so i would like to see it for $400 or maybe $300!!! :( (not gonna happen for 300):(

Sun Baked
Aug 12, 2002, 03:17 PM
John Carmack on Parahelia:

http://www.webdog.org/plans/1/

The executive summary is that the Parhelia will run Doom, but it is not performance competitive with Nvidia or ATI.

Driver issue remain, so it is not perfect yet, but I am confident that Matrox will resolve them.

The performance was really disappointing for the first 256 bit DDR card. I tried to set up a "poster child" case that would stress the memory subsystem above and beyond any driver or triangle level inefficiencies, but I was unable to get it to ever approach the performance of a GF4.

The basic hardware support is good, with fragment flexibility better than GF4 (but not as good as ATI 8500), but it just doesn't keep up in raw performance. With a die shrink, this chip could probably be a contender, but there are probably going to be other chips out by then that will completely eclipse this generation of products.

People hope, but there are better cards available, unless you truly need the 3 monitor support in a single AGP slot.

elensil
Aug 12, 2002, 03:29 PM
The GigaWire update seems to be an example of wishful thinking. (Unless I missed the rumors).
I am think it is better be rather sceptical about the upcomming update, that way it would be easier to cope with another disappointment. I, of course, hope there wouldn't be any:D

Hemingray
Aug 12, 2002, 03:30 PM
YourDailyMac.com's specs are pure bunk. See arn's thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=9342

That's so stupid. They declare the specs as "BREAKING NEWS" and then in tiny print at the bottom they disclaim it as pure speculation. :mad:

ibookin'
Aug 12, 2002, 03:42 PM
If this does happen I will buy one. Maybe a single proc 1.4 and a GeForce 4 Ti. :D :D :D

solvs
Aug 12, 2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

Actually, I think they did that already awhile ago. The 22" model had it's price significantly cut. I don't remember how much (and don't really feel that much like looking it up), but one day it was suddenly MUCH cheaper.

I just don't see it happening again so soon.

Maybe $2000?

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by solvs

Actually, I think they did that already awhile ago. The 22" model had it's price significantly cut. I don't remember how much (and don't really feel that much like looking it up), but one day it was suddenly MUCH cheaper.

I just don't see it happening again so soon.

Maybe $2000?
$2,000 is MUCH more realistic, I still think there is NO WAY it would drop to just $1,499 in one foul swoop.

Mr Jobs
Aug 12, 2002, 04:47 PM
Powermacs 1.6 dual, hah no i heard its going to be Powermac with dual IBM 64bit Power4 2Ghz.

hey if can believe dual 1.6Ghz whats so wrong about my dual Power4's

Captnroger
Aug 12, 2002, 08:07 PM
This is getting almost comical.

I really hope I'm wrong come tomorrow, but if all these changes were coming, why in the world wouldn't they have announced them last month (less than 30 days ago). Don't give me that stuff about having to sell out their inventory, because they could have planned for that well in advance of Macworld.

jefhatfield
Aug 13, 2002, 12:10 AM
1.6 or dual 1.6 and quad-whatever are all needed but it won't happen this year