PDA

View Full Version : Long distance facetime

bigjnyc
Jun 11, 2010, 09:27 AM
Don't know if this has been covered but... has anyone confirmed whether facetime uses AT&T cell minutes for voice and WI-FI for video or just WI-FI for both? It would be cool to use facetime when overseas on vacation or something with someone back home. But if the voice goes over AT&T networks then that would mean major charges.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 11, 2010, 09:29 AM
Face Time has nothing to do w/ ATT. It's 100% WiFi. Voice is VOIP like Skype.

gianly1985
Jun 11, 2010, 09:30 AM
Read this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=932652

Short version: we still haven't figured out. Wait for June 24.

gianly1985
Jun 11, 2010, 09:34 AM
Face Time has nothing to do w/ ATT. It's 100% WiFi. Voice is VOIP like Skype.

For what we have seen, you may be required to pay at least the first seconds of the call, which is still pricey from abroad.

gianly1985
Jun 11, 2010, 09:41 AM
. But if the voice goes over AT&T networks then that would mean major charges.

Just to be clear, there's NOT A CHANCE that voice goes over ATT. Facetime, as said, is like an OPEN version of Skype, audio and video go through the internet. (via wifi)
We're just wondering if it is needed to START a phone call for the initial handshaking of the 2 phones.

bigjnyc
Jun 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
For what we have seen, you may be required to pay at least the first seconds of the call, which is still pricey from abroad.

that makes sense, looks like it's initiated as a regular call and then the facetime option is selected. Maybe there will be an option for facetime when you click on a contact so the call will start that way.

gianly1985
Jun 11, 2010, 09:58 AM
that makes sense, looks like it's initiated as a regular call and then the facetime option is selected. Maybe there will be an option for facetime when you click on a contact so the call will start that way.

Yep.
Especially if the next iPod Touch (which cannot make phone calls) will be FaceTime capable.

Peter Harrison
Jun 11, 2010, 10:10 AM

That's been confirmed by hands-on testing at WWDC event. You can initiate a Facetime call directly from the Contacts app. I'm not sure if that still requires some kind of phone call to handshake or not, but you can definitely activate a Facetime call from Contacts without calling them first then choosing to go Facetime.

Mliii
Jun 11, 2010, 10:12 AM
As I said on another thread on this subject, You CAN use just the Facetime Application using your contacts if the person you want to have the video chat with also has an iPhone 4 and if you both have access to a wifi network.
IF you are already on a call and you have wifi access and you want to switch to video chat, you can go right from the call to Facetime. The call ends and Facetime takes over.
But you don't have to make a call to use it. It's got a separate button in your contacts page next to "Text Message" and "Share Contact" that allows you to use Facetime directly.
Hope that clarifies things a bit.

angevil
Jun 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
I am only excited about FaceTime if I can use it for free video calling to another country. Like Skype on the computer. It makes sense if it can do that.

My only question is how can it recognize that your friend has iPhone 4. I think there will have to be at least one initial call (first time only) so that the contacts app can make note that you can video chat with that person.

And then FaceTime should be implanted into Skype! Not everyone will have the new iPhone, so this feature would be very convenient to video chat with anyone, on computers, phones..

Mliii
Jun 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
how can it recognize that your friend has iPhone 4.

At the WWDC, the Facetime button only showed up on iPhone 4's. If you had a 3g or 3gs, the contact page on the iPhone 4 didn't show a Facetime option for that person. Now remember, IOS 4 was still pre-GM, so those who have downloaded and are using the GM can probably chime in here. But it's NOT going to require any telephonic contact to use Facetime. It's both hardware AND software combined that allow this option. Hope I am making sense.