Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I knew I would eventually tire of the way the iPad's screen collects fingerprints so easily and of the glare when using it in bright sunlight, so I started shopping for an anti-glare screen protector. I have one from Power Support USA on my iPhone and it's been great, so I went to them first but found their iPad offering to be pretty expensive - $24.95 for one screen protector and at least $6.00 in shipping. That felt a little too pricey so I went to Brando Workshop.

Brando is a company in Asia and I first heard about them several years ago through The Gadgeteer. I admit I thought that they were a little sketchy back then (their website used to be a little strange and rife with grammatical and spelling errors) and I placed my first order with them and wondered if I'd ever get it. I did and I've been ordering screen protectors from them ever since and I have no concerns whatsoever about ordering products from them now.

Their anti-glare screen protector for the iPad costs $18.00 and shipping on all products to the U.S. is a flat $3.00, for a total of $21 to get the screen protector delivered to me. It took about 10 days to receive it from the time I placed the order. It arrived taped to a large piece of cardboard to keep it flat during shipment and it was in perfect condition when it arrived (the envelope was a little worse for wear, but that is not surprising given the distance it traveled).

Installing the screen protector was stupendously difficult. :p This is not Brando's fault - it's just very difficult to line up such a large screen protector perfectly while keeping lint, dust, and fingerprints off of it and the iPad as you install it. I highly recommend you find a dust-free environment (some have mentioned doing this in the bathroom and running a hot shower for a few minutes to let the steam do this for you, though I have not tried this) and put everything you'll need out at the start: cleaning solution & dust-free cleaning cloth (I use iKlear) to clean the iPad's screen before and during as needed, a can of compressed air, and Scotch or packing tape to remove lint and dust from the screen protector during installation.

The Brando screen protector is cut perfectly to fit the iPad's screen, covering it from edge to edge and with a cut-out that sits perfectly around the home button. I find it cuts down on glare and fingerprints significantly without reducing clarity drastically. I find it far more enjoyable to use my iPad with this screen protector installed.

Some pictures (before installation always followed by after installation), click to enlarge:

BIGbrando-before.jpg.jpg

BIGbrando-after.jpg.jpg

BIGbrando-before-2.jpg.JPG

BIGbrando-after-2.jpg.JPG

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Thanks for the review.

Im considering this protector but wanted to get your feedback after your having used it for nearly a month.

Are you still happy with it?

Best regards...

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Thanks for the review.

Im considering this protector but wanted to get your feedback after your having used it for nearly a month.

Are you still happy with it?

Best regards...

Glad it helped!

Yes, I am still very happy with this screen protector. It's been great since I like to read books on my iPad out on the deck and it's less of a chore in bright sunlight with this screen protector on it. It wipes off easily (I'll use iKlear every now and then) though it doesn't need it often and it shows no wear at all.

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
I knew I would eventually tire of the way the iPad's screen collects fingerprints so easily and of the glare when using it in bright sunlight, so I started shopping for an anti-glare screen protector. I have one from Power Support USA on my iPhone and it's been great, so I went to them first but found their iPad offering to be pretty expensive - $24.95 for one screen protector and at least $6.00 in shipping. That felt a little too pricey so I went to Brando Workshop.

Brando is a company in Asia and I first heard about them several years ago through The Gadgeteer. I admit I thought that they were a little sketchy back then (their website used to be a little strange and rife with grammatical and spelling errors) and I placed my first order with them and wondered if I'd ever get it. I did and I've been ordering screen protectors from them ever since and I have no concerns whatsoever about ordering products from them now.

Their anti-glare screen protector for the iPad costs $18.00 and shipping on all products to the U.S. is a flat $3.00, for a total of $21 to get the screen protector delivered to me. It took about 10 days to receive it from the time I placed the order. It arrived taped to a large piece of cardboard to keep it flat during shipment and it was in perfect condition when it arrived (the envelope was a little worse for wear, but that is not surprising given the distance it traveled).

Installing the screen protector was stupendously difficult. :p This is not Brando's fault - it's just very difficult to line up such a large screen protector perfectly while keeping lint, dust, and fingerprints off of it and the iPad as you install it. I highly recommend you find a dust-free environment (some have mentioned doing this in the bathroom and running a hot shower for a few minutes to let the steam do this for you, though I have not tried this) and put everything you'll need out at the start: cleaning solution & dust-free cleaning cloth (I use iKlear) to clean the iPad's screen before and during as needed, a can of compressed air, and Scotch or packing tape to remove lint and dust from the screen protector during installation.

The Brando screen protector is cut perfectly to fit the iPad's screen, covering it from edge to edge and with a cut-out that sits perfectly around the home button. I find it cuts down on glare and fingerprints significantly without reducing clarity drastically. I find it far more enjoyable to use my iPad with this screen protector installed.

Some pictures (before installation always followed by after installation), click to enlarge:

BIGbrando-before.jpg.jpg

BIGbrando-after.jpg.jpg

BIGbrando-before-2.jpg.JPG

BIGbrando-after-2.jpg.JPG

Excellent Review. I have been doing research into a Screen Protector for a while now and i've taken your advice and will now purchase one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.