Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
between a top of the line imac g5, and a low end powermac g5?

they come out to about the same price....

considering which i should buy, if i already have a low end ibook (for portablity) with a large external monitor (for usability in autocad, photoshop, illustrator)... thinking the powermac... but the imac so pretty... i'm beginning to do heavy graphics work, things like rhino in vpc, and maya... maybe eventually animations... thinking powermac... but how much of a diff?

thanks,

r.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
whyrichard said:
between a top of the line imac g5, and a low end powermac g5?

they come out to about the same price....

considering which i should buy, if i already have a low end ibook (for portablity) with a large external monitor (for usability in autocad, photoshop, illustrator)... thinking the powermac... but the imac so pretty... i'm beginning to do heavy graphics work, things like rhino in vpc, and maya... maybe eventually animations... thinking powermac... but how much of a diff?

thanks,

r.

I would definately say go for the Power Mac--I think the difference will be more than noticable. Of course, I haven't used an iMac G5 yet, but DANG my Power Mac's fast! :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
They're about the same price, but you don't get a monitor with the power mac. But you do get a better video card.

It all depends on what you plan on using the machine for....

D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'll second that: Powermac, all the way!

Esp. if you want to get into animation, 3D etc.

Future expandibilty (i.e. more RAM, extra HD) etc.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Because you have the monitor, take the PowerMac. It will last longer than the iMac in terms of usable speed. While both will last you 5+ years, the PowerMac can be upgraded to allow you to use it for longer.

But if you did not have the monitor, the iMac would be great...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
whyrichard said:
Between a top of the line imac g5, and a low end powermac g5? I already have a low end ibook (for portablity) with a large external monitor (for usability in autocad, photoshop, illustrator)

iMac G5 1.8GHz: 1900$US
PowerMac *DUAL* G5 1.8GHz: 2000$US

Why is everyone forgetting that PowerMacs are dual G5, all of a sudden? And the bus is 50% not 33%. The upgradability factor is also, of course, better with the PowerMac.

Go with the "low-end" PowerMac. :D

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Yes, that PowerMac will serve you well. It's got a 900Mhz FSB, compared with the iMac's 600Mhz. It's got expandability, 8GB of RAM and more than a terabyte of internal storage with the G5Jam. The graphics card can be upgraded.

Plus, w/ the PM, you get TWO G5 cpu's.
You also get an 8x superdrive, and, while external drives exist, there's something annoying about adding unsightly boxes under than nice looking iMac G5. Because dvd burning speeds are increasing- LaCie is already selling a 16x external for only $229- the 4x is going to seem more andmore outdated, and slot load drives are incredibly expensive. The drive in the PM, OTOH, can be upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.