Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
Sony's MP3 player. Merely a quick question: will it work a Mac? I know, I know, I should buy an iPod, blah blah. But everyone has one now! You can't walk 10 yards down the street in London and find someone without an iPod. And I've got a 20GB one, thus fancied a change.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
no i dont think it will since sony requires using the atrac format (sony only) and mac's have nothing to do with atrac (require's sony's propietary software sonic stage to encode atrac files). so no, it's not happening, stupid sony. nice player otherwise, but gimped by sony's ignorance.

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
I recall reading in many sources (their website included - Sony.co.uk) that it plays MP3s....I know that their figure of 13,000 is based upon their crap encoding, though. What I wanted to know was whether I'd just plug it in and be away.

Sony.co.uk

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
NW-HD1 cannot play MP3 files. The companion software (Sony SoundStage, for Wintel only) can re-encode MP3 files to ATRAC3plus and move those out to the player.

In their press releases, Sony specifically list Mac and NEC PC-98 as platforms that are not compatible with the player.

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
iMeowbot said:
NW-HD1 cannot play MP3 files. The companion software (Sony SoundStage, for Wintel only) can re-encode MP3 files to ATRAC3plus and move those out to the player.

In their press releases, Sony specifically list Mac and NEC PC-98 as platforms that are not compatible with the player.

Thanks muchly. Guess it's an iPod then (with the different headphones ;))

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
sony's software turns mp3s into atrac files. sony is adding direct mp3 support to it's flash based players...no word on their hard drive based solutions. **** sony. let them hemhorrage money out their ass. they deserve it for screwing their customer base for so long. sony = more expensive for less features, but they sell because it has the sony brand name, which used to be respected (still is in some circles).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.