Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Just as many others on the site, im quite eagerly waiting for the powerbook G5 to come out. I hear, though, that the G4 is going to get one last revision before the G5s are released. Now, im perfectly ready to wait another year if that is what its going to take apple to finish the G5s, but what im worried about is buying a 1st generation machine. Were previous 1st generation machines very problematic? Do you guys think that the new design of the G5 is going to make the laptop that much different from the G4 that there may be initial problems with them? Im considering the option of perhaps getting a last generation G4 instead, because all the bugs have been worked out of those. Basically, im looking for the experience of users that have purchased 1st generation laptops, and whether they regretted the decision or not.

towson80

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
Well, I think a Rev. B G5 powerbook (speed unknown) is a Feb. 2006 release. Quite reasonable I think. I have no idea about the Rev. A though I would say June 2005 is probably the best bet.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
rev. a's are not too bad, wait for the g5 powerbook and appreciate the incredible coolness.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
Hector said:
rev. a's are not too bad, wait for the g5 powerbook and appreciate the incredible coolness.

hes not wrong! :p

I think the whole rev a thing is a bit over done, yes its best to be cautious and sometimes some people have problems but Apple will usually fix them pretty quickly.

The big no no's for buying a rev a are:

If its your only mac and you can't bear being without it for 2 weeks. (if it has to go in for repair)
If its your primary work machine.

If you answered yes to either of those then a rev a isn't for you, and if you still think it is then be aware that you are taking a risk.

Me, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will be a walking legend if you manage to get one of the first machines, but you will be very embarassed if it does go wrong and you've told the whole world you have a G5 PB!

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I thought the only possibly confirmed PB speed boost was with the dual core G4's. How the hell are they going to get a G5 in a 12" powerbook?

I guess if you wanted to use it as a hotplate?

The only PB I can even imagine them fitting that into is a 17", because of heat constraints. I mean look at the 17" iMac it already has to have a fan (that's larger than a pb fan) running full blast to keep the heat low enought when running intensive applications. Does anybody really think they can get a G5 into a 15" or 12" pb? That would be quite a feat of engineering.

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
a bit OT but...

i had a convo with a friend, telling him that i'm waiting for the g5 laptops (either powerbook or ibook). he thinks and believes that the g5's will have a much higher price than the g4's ($2k+) due to the cooling engineering involved within a small space.

tho i believe it wont, seeing that the imacs didn't have much of a "jump".

how was the price jump from the g3 > g4 laptops?? what do you all think about the price jump?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.