PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 and Power button...

spencecb
Oct 17, 2004, 03:43 PM
There are only two things that annoy me about my new iMac G5...first of all, I don't like the fact the the power button in behind the display. I wish they would have done something like they have on the new displays...have the power button on the side of the computer. Or, go back to the old keyboard when you could turn on the computer by pushing the button on the keyboard. Also, I am annoyed by the light that comes on once the display shuts off if the computer is still on. I understand it is there to tell that the computer is still on, but I think its a little annoying and too bright. Anyone else feel this way?

Mechcozmo
Oct 17, 2004, 04:00 PM
Power button=true. The old displays (I dunno about the new ones...) you could turn on, turn off, and sleep the computer by running your finger along the power thingy on the monitor, and that would be really nice if the iMacs had that ability...(APPLE ARE YOU LISTENING???)

I was disappointed when my iMac G4 had the white light thingy but was completely uncontrolled...:(

quagmire
Oct 17, 2004, 04:11 PM
Mommy is here babies. :p I know and support Apple on this decision on the power button position. Apple wants to encourage people to put their computer to sleep. By putting the power button on the back of the iMac, it discourages people to shut down their computer. Now, what I want to see is a keyboard short cut to put the computer to sleep. Maybe like Apple:Option:S.

spencecb
Oct 17, 2004, 04:19 PM
I for one rarely shut down my computer, let alone put it to sleep. Its perfectly fine to have the computer running all the time. I do Folding @ Home, so my computer needs to stay on all the time in order to do this. I was just simply commenting on the location of it, and its just not something I care for.

Mechcozmo
Oct 17, 2004, 04:39 PM
Now, what I want to see is a keyboard short cut to put the computer to sleep. Maybe like Apple:Option:S.

Try Command+Option+Eject. Or, press the power button and then "s" or you can press Command+Option+Control+Eject to choose between Shutting Down, Restarting, or Sleeping.
:D

zim
Oct 17, 2004, 04:55 PM
The power button is on the back of the previous iMacs as well. Personally, I prefer it there, doesn't bother me because I never touch it. :D Then again I never power off unless I go away for an extended amount of time, usually a week or so. Just tell your computer to go asleep or set the auto start auto shut down feature on.