PDA

View Full Version : Reeder for iPad

srl7741
Jun 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
Those like me who have been waiting for Reeder's iPad App (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder-for-ipad/id375661689?mt=8) to be released the wait is over. It available now in the App Store. Web site Link is here (http://reederapp.com/2/).

Linchpin
Jun 11, 2010, 09:10 PM
First impression, seems like the wait was worth it.....

Minor quibble - the "stacks" of feeds would look nicer with some colour of some kind on them, just a plain grey/white icon looks dull...

furqan8421
Jun 11, 2010, 09:14 PM
Can anyone do a quick rundown of this vs pulse?

Deciding which to buy.

I want a nice UI (both seem to have this), but from the Reeder screenshots it seems it is more text heavy and only shows images once the article loads. Pulse, when supported, will show images from the main page. Reeder seems to separate sources by text names, and the favicon if available.

I know Pulse supports only 20 feeds, but I don't know that I want to keep track of many more feeds than that.

normwood
Jun 11, 2010, 09:54 PM

Okay....Not a fan of Pulse....since it blows! Just my opinion!

Moving on...

Have bought:
I have bought and used Pulse, Early Edition and MobileRSS.

Did not care for Pulse....boring and too limited. Too blocky od a layout and can't mark as read which is a requirement for me in an RSS app..

Early edition is WAY too limited in features and actually didn't care for the fake newspaper layout.

MobileRSS is and was AWESOME, but had to try Reeder due to all the hype. Really like the unique features like the folders and the pinching to open. Very nice UI but maybe not as intuitive as MobileRSS. Needs Facebook integration.

Over all....a keeper...can't wait for future updates.

Steve

PlaceofDis
Jun 11, 2010, 09:56 PM
anyone care to compare this to newsrack? i like newsrack and its a solid RSS reader, but it is clunky at times, although i think by definition RSS readers are all clunky so who knows...

normwood
Jun 11, 2010, 10:11 PM
anyone care to compare this to newsrack? i like newsrack and its a solid RSS reader, but it is clunky at times, although i think by definition RSS readers are all clunky so who knows...

I also have used Newsrack. It is a very nice app. I was only using it though until MobileRSS came out. To me MobilrRSS is cleaner than Newsrack.

Still on the fence on Reeder....but I just downloaded it a little while ago.

For me it will come down to the next updates. I am sure MobileRSS will soon add features like the iPhone version...like being able to subscribe to new feeds and manage feeds right in the app. I have not used Reeder on iPhone so I don't know what the future holds.

Steve

nanohits
Jun 11, 2010, 10:38 PM
If I dont use Google Reader will this app work straight form normal RSS?

furqan8421
Jun 11, 2010, 10:48 PM
Okay....Not a fan of Pulse....since it blows! Just my opinion!

Moving on...

Have bought:
I have bought and used Pulse, Early Edition and MobileRSS.

Did not care for Pulse....boring and too limited. Too blocky od a layout and can't mark as read which is a requirement for me in an RSS app..

Early edition is WAY too limited in features and actually didn't care for the fake newspaper layout.

MobileRSS is and was AWESOME, but had to try Reeder due to all the hype. Really like the unique features like the folders and the pinching to open. Very nice UI but maybe not as intuitive as MobileRSS. Needs Facebook integration.

Over all....a keeper...can't wait for future updates.

Steve

For me at least, I don't care to mark all as read just because I don't go through each news update. I don't like early edition though from when I tried it.

Thoughts from others?

brogan
Jun 12, 2010, 12:15 AM
Functionally, this is probably one of the best RSS readers I've used yet (so far I've used pulse and early edition).

Visually however, I am not sure if I'm doing something wrong? All of my thumbnails are just blank pages, so it is very bland looking and lacks the "pizzazz" of pulse in that regard. That said, it's functionality and feel is tremendous and the fact that it can support all of my feeds instead of just 20 and lets me get through them with no lag at all will likely make this my primary reader.

superflush
Jun 12, 2010, 02:06 AM
Just bought it. Looks great so far.

Minor quibble - the "stacks" of feeds would look nicer with some colour of some kind on them, just a plain grey/white icon looks dull...

You're talking about the icons of the feeds. The feed provider can have an icon there. In mine, the NYT feeds have it as well as Engadget, TUAW, Ars Technica, Daring Fireball, & Marco.org

Deciding which to buy.

I know Pulse supports only 20 feeds, but I don't know that I want to keep track of many more feeds than that.

I bought both (as well as NewsRack & Early Edition).

The nice thing about the Reeder homepage is that you can see more feeds than other apps will show from the homepage.

Your point about the images is correct though. Pulse will show the images if they are there.

nanohits
Jun 12, 2010, 03:54 AM
After having installed and played with it, Its a good reader but I dont know who are what bribed the iTunes reviews as everyone seems ot be raving about it. It is good but I wouldnt go on to say its the most amazing app ever etc. Having used NewsRack and this now, they both are great in their own right.

For example, you need to have a Google Reader account to use Reeder, you dont for NewsRack. In Reeder if I mark something as Read everything dissapears and I cant get it back. In NR I can still get access to the feeds (unless I am doing something wrong in Reeder). In NR I can pinch and zoom the feeds, in Reeder I cant do that unless I get to the actual site itself and then I can pinch and zoom.

At this stage I would still say that Newsrack is a better program and is a bit more flexible. Speedwise they are similar, I cant say one is faster than the other. I would say that these are the 2 best RSS Readers out there but NR gets the nod.

However I also notice there are several fanbois for Reeder who will I am sure attack me for saying NR is better than Reeder ;)

caubeck
Jun 12, 2010, 04:06 AM
I've installed Reeder but I don't see why it's better than other RSS readers currently in the appstore. It looks ghostly white, almost Zen minimalist. Is that it?

normwood
Jun 12, 2010, 04:13 AM
After having installed and played with it, Its a good reader but I dont know who are what bribed the iTunes reviews as everyone seems ot be raving about it. It is good but I wouldnt go on to say its the most amazing app ever etc. Having used NewsRack and this now, they both are great in their own right.

For example, you need to have a Google Reader account to use Reeder, you dont for NewsRack. In Reeder if I mark something as Read everything dissapears and I cant get it back. In NR I can still get access to the feeds (unless I am doing something wrong in Reeder). In NR I can pinch and zoom the feeds, in Reeder I cant do that unless I get to the actual site itself and then I can pinch and zoom.

At this stage I would still say that Newsrack is a better program and is a bit more flexible. Speedwise they are similar, I cant say one is faster than the other. I would say that these are the 2 best RSS Readers out there but NR gets the nod.

However I also notice there are several fanbois for Reeder who will I am sure attack me for saying NR is better than Reeder ;)

Access to the read feeds can be changed in settings.

Yeah...the fanboys seem to be pretty plentiful.

I think Reeder, MobileRSS and Newsrack are all reasonably similar quality. Once MobileRSS adds all the features the iPhone version has....lights out for the other two. It'll be the winner...hands down.

Steve

enigma2k
Jun 12, 2010, 05:49 AM
Either I am completely blind or there are just no settings in Reeder. Can anybody confirm this? What's if I want to change my google feed? there is no option for this.

Update: okay I have found it now. he put it directly in the settings of the OS.

srl7741
Jun 12, 2010, 05:54 AM
Settings/Reeder, they are not in the App like many others.

shadowness
Jun 12, 2010, 08:29 AM

Its gr8 in functionality both in UI and gestures thats why people rave about it!

When in list mode, slide to left marks that particular feed read/unread and slide to right is for star/unstar

The button is toolbar is for marking all as read.

i own NR to but it doesn't have a intuitive previous/next feature. in Reeder u can just drag the whole feed up or down to go to the next or previous feed.

moreover viewing entire articles in the in-app browser is amazing with instapaper mobilizer support built in!

These are my observation in the last couple of hours reading through almost 400 feeds.

it would have been good if there was an intro or first look window explaining the gestures and functions, as this app doesn't comply with the Apple UI fully

srl7741
Jun 12, 2010, 08:54 AM

I have to agree (well said) NewsRack is a great App and has been number for for me (my uses). Reeder on the other hand has been moved up to number two. I really like the Reeder UI and how it works. It's a nice App and well done. I'm sure like NewsRack it will also be updated and paid attention to by the developers.

I listed my thoughts in another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10041364&postcount=23)about the MobileRSS App vs the NewsRack App and NewsRack is more polished even tho it's hard to notice sometimes unless you have a side by side look at the same article. NewsRack presents the article with more eye candy. I don't see myself moving away from NewsRack b/c it's nice and works well.

Reeder has offered a different appearance or presentation of the same information and I like it.

I used to only use MobileRSS and thought it was a great App till I began using the others. MobileRSS is still great and works well, it's just not best for me. Others may find it outstanding.

I actually like the Digital Post also, it's another great App but much different than the other listed in this thread. The App is just another one to choose from and my point is that it's nice to have such great Apps to choose from on the iPad considering it's only been out for a short time.

furqan8421
Jun 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
After trying both out for some time, I can add some of my own thoughts. I like Reeder. It's very nicely done. However I'm not sure how to add feeds from within the app?

Pulse is also good in my opinion. Unlike Reeder, I don't think videos load from within the app. One thing I prefer is the picture based navigation which looks much nicer for feeds that support this feature. For ones that don't, Reeder may be preferable.

Just some initial impressions. Still unclear which one I will stick with.

PlaceofDis
Jun 12, 2010, 11:39 AM

I have to agree (well said) NewsRack is a great App and has been number for for me (my uses). Reeder on the other hand has been moved up to number two. I really like the Reeder UI and how it works. It's a nice App and well done. I'm sure like NewsRack it will also be updated and paid attention to by the developers.

I listed my thoughts in another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10041364&postcount=23)about the MobileRSS App vs the NewsRack App and NewsRack is more polished even tho it's hard to notice sometimes unless you have a side by side look at the same article. NewsRack presents the article with more eye candy. I don't see myself moving away from NewsRack b/c it's nice and works well.

Reeder has offered a different appearance or presentation of the same information and I like it.

I used to only use MobileRSS and thought it was a great App till I began using the others. MobileRSS is still great and works well, it's just not best for me. Others may find it outstanding.

I actually like the Digital Post also, it's another great App but much different than the other listed in this thread. The App is just another one to choose from and my point is that it's nice to have such great Apps to choose from on the iPad considering it's only been out for a short time.

thanks for both of these posts. looks like i'll stick with newsrack for the time being. the UI in Reeder looks intriguing but i'll just keep tabs on it and see how things develop all around.

srl7741
Jun 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
I should have pointed out in Reeder you can get an article back if it's been read. Simply tap the circle icon and it will bring it back. Sorry for the vague explaination but I'm working from memory at the moment. My iPad is not near.
I know you can get an article back tho b/c I have done it and also was interested in knowing if that was able to be done.

raymond lin
Jun 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
I still like Pulse.

furqan8421
Jun 12, 2010, 02:21 PM
I think pulse is not as good for reading articles. It has no text formatting and no in line pictures. You must always shift to web view.

Reader allows pics to show up as well as formatted text. Not to mention playable videos. Still prefer how pulse presents articles though.

JulianL
Jun 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
I've finally got round to looking at news readers and I bought NewsRack, MobileRSS and Reeder. I admit that I'd pre-judged Pulse from screen shots and reports of a 20 feed limitation so I didn't buy that.

My conclusion, reached fairly quickly, is that Reeder is my favourite. I use my iPad almost exclusively in landscape mode and I was worried by all the screen shots that article reading in landscape mode doesn't use the whole screen width but in Reeder it effectively does because when you click into the full article it automatically puts its built in browser into full width mode whereas the other two candidates stay within the preview window and still leave the lefthand pane in place. For me this is a killer feature for Feeder.

There are a few things that I'd like to see added....

1) It would be really nice to be able to manage feeds in the app (like NewsRack can). It saves having to keep flipping to a browser to do it.

2) When I'm going through my unread items I tend to work down the list from top to bottom and the list can be quite long. I think that it would be a really nice touch to have a numerical indicator to say how many unread messages are left in the list running down the left of the screen. It seems to me that a discrete display at the bottom of the toolbar (the bar on the left) would be nice so, if I'm working through 100 articles to read, it would start at 100 and as I work my way down the list it would gradually decrement to reflect the number of unread artichokes left in the list.

3) I quite like the grey scheme but I do agree that the top level folder icons can look a bit too bland if they're all white. Since these are user-defined folders and often named things like "News", "Business", "Computers", "Technology", etc I'm wondering whether it would be possible for Reeder to provide a few (20 or 30 maybe ) stock icons that would be appropriate for the user to select from to set some sort of icons for their top level folders.

Apart from the above I can't find much wrong with Feeder at the moment.

- Julian

headphonesonly
Jun 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
I've finally got round to looking at news readers and I bought NewsRack, MobileRSS and Reeder. I admit that I'd pre-judged Pulse from screen shots and reports of a 20 feed limitation so I didn't buy that.

- Julian

You should still really take a look at Pulse, it's pretty good. I don't use it as my sole reader. I only grab a few of my feeds like TUAW, Engadget, and Lifehacker and read them in there casually. When I need to get through more feeds and do more with them, I use Reeder.

gwynne
Jun 12, 2010, 11:23 PM
As far as the gimmicky/lightweight readers go, I liked early edition better than pulse. Pulse is the worst if what you really want to get at is the information in the feeds, not just a whole bunch of UI. But early edition started giving me a lot of dupe feeds and I finally gave up on both.

I like netnewswire for a while, but ultimately fell back to newsrack because nnw, like others, relies on google and can't manage feeds on its own.

So far reeder is working the best with my personal reading style, but I'm keeping newsrack around to actually manage the feeds.

Its funny how so many of us are willing to try/buy so many different apps in the search for this one holy grail rss app.

Edit: how the heck do you get feeds into stacks like in the screenshots, or folders or whatever? Their site is even more minimalist than the app.

superflush
Jun 13, 2010, 12:14 AM
I should have pointed out in Reeder you can get an article back if it's been read. Simply tap the circle icon and it will bring it back. Sorry for the vague explaination but I'm working from memory at the moment. My iPad is not near.
I know you can get an article back tho b/c I have done it and also was interested in knowing if that was able to be done.

You can also slide the article to the right (when in landscape).

My conclusion, reached fairly quickly, is that Reeder is my favourite. I use my iPad almost exclusively in landscape mode and I was worried by all the screen shots that article reading in landscape mode doesn't use the whole screen width but in Reeder it effectively does because when you click into the full article it automatically puts its built in browser into full width mode whereas the other two candidates stay within the preview window and still leave the lefthand pane in place.

Yes, I think this is important feature. When going into the web view in NewsRack of Pulse in landscape, the text is often to small and it requires me to zoom in a bit. Reeder will bring it to full screen which makes it much better. And it isn't like you lose the quickness of navigation. Reeder makes it very easy to navigate. I feel like Rizzi put a lot of time into figuring out how to make the UI very functional and how to make the navigation in and out of feeds & articles very simple.

spamdumpster
Jun 13, 2010, 05:10 AM
Haven't seen the super speedy syncing/loading time talked about here. Reeder is fast for me, while Newsrack is slow -- it takes a long time to load feeds and even longer to mark all as read. Reeder is awesome.

JulianL
Jun 13, 2010, 05:47 AM
So far reeder is working the best with my personal reading style, but I'm keeping newsrack around to actually manage the feeds.

Its funny how so many of us are willing to try/buy so many different apps in the search for this one holy grail rss app.

Edit: how the heck do you get feeds into stacks like in the screenshots, or folders or whatever? Their site is even more minimalist than the app.

Re your last point, I think that those stacks are based on the Google Reader folder setup that you have so you need to go into your Google reader setup and put your feeds into folders and then each folder will appear as a feed stack which, when you drill down into it, will contain the feeds within whatever google reader folder that stack relates to.

Re your other point - ditto; that's exactly what I'm doing, reading with Reeder but keeping NewsRack around as a convenient app to manage the feeds. I really hope Reeder does add in the capability to manage feeds because I like simplicity and it would be really nice to be able to just have it all in the one app.

Re trying/buying apps, I'm new to the Apple app world and before I joined I thought people were pretty weird complaining about $10 apps being too expensive and sometimes even bitching about $5 apps. I'm now realising that for competitive areas like news readers, browsers, calculators, personal finance trackers, etc it isn't a case of paying one fee and getting your app, it's a case of needing to buy 3 or 4 and then keeping the one that suits you best so building up one's collection of core apps does get quite expensive.

I'm actually off to buy some more iTunes cards right now.

- Julian

gwynne
Jun 13, 2010, 11:06 AM
Re your last point, I think that those stacks are based on the Google Reader folder setup that you have so you need to go into your Google reader setup and put your feeds into folders and then each folder will appear as a feed stack which, when you drill down into it, will contain the feeds within whatever google reader folder that stack relates to.

Thanks, this did help. However, I still can't figure out what's going on in the second screenshot of the app's itunes listing:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder-for-ipad/id375661689?mt=8

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out, posting for posterity: that's what it looks like when you slowly pinch to zoom (rather than tap) a stack of feeds.

TheClaff
Jun 13, 2010, 12:04 PM
Does it Sync just your feeds with Google reader, or also what you have read? So if you then use google reader on your computer will it mark the things you read on ipad as already read?

srl7741
Jun 13, 2010, 12:31 PM
Does it Sync just your feeds with Google reader, or also what you have read? So if you then use google reader on your computer will it mark the things you read on ipad as already read?

Yes they will show as already read.

gwynne- I did the same and finally took a moment to think about that one a little more. Kind of neat but probably not something I will use a lot.

This morning I took a little time to compare load times of Reeder, NewsRack and MobileRSS on the iPad. Reeder easily beat the others. I'm sure it's different for each person depending on how many feeds you have and what the feeds are from. Some are quicker than others for various reasons. For my 30-some feeds tho Reeder loaded them much faster each time. Actually several seconds faster.

Again I think it depends on many factors but for me this seems to be the case.

mchank
Jun 13, 2010, 10:54 PM
One problem I've had is that Reeder sometimes doesn't open up links in the app. I've had this problem readings feeds from MacNN for example.

reiichiroh
Jun 14, 2010, 12:22 AM
News junkies may also enjoy ReadItLater Pro (Universal) now for iPad with $4.99 in app purchase of a "digest" mode.

srl7741
Jun 14, 2010, 09:02 AM
News junkies may also enjoy ReadItLater Pro (Universal) now for iPad with $4.99 in app purchase of a "digest" mode.

Thanks for the heads up. Been using Instapaper and love it but have also been waiting for this App to be released also.

imacdaddy
Jun 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
This morning I took a little time to compare load times of Reeder, NewsRack and MobileRSS on the iPad. Reeder easily beat the others. I'm sure it's different for each person depending on how many feeds you have and what the feeds are from. Some are quicker than others for various reasons. For my 30-some feeds tho Reeder loaded them much faster each time. Actually several seconds faster.

Again I think it depends on many factors but for me this seems to be the case.

I think the reason is Reeder doesn't download images that's why it's faster. Try it and then turn off your wifi / 3G and browse offline. You won't see any images but a bunch of blue squares with question marks. Do the same with MobileRSS and go offline, everything is intact text, images, video thumbnails etc.

superflush
Jun 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
I think the reason is Reeder doesn't download images that's why it's faster. Try it and then turn off your wifi / 3G and browse offline. You won't see any images but a bunch of blue squares with question marks. Do the same with MobileRSS and go offline, everything is intact text, images, video thumbnails etc.

Reeder has the default settings with image caching on for Unread Items and Starred Items, and you can have it on for Shared Items and Notes as well.

applesupergeek
Jul 18, 2010, 10:59 AM
As far as the gimmicky/lightweight readers go, I liked early edition better than pulse. Pulse is the worst if what you really want to get at is the information in the feeds, not just a whole bunch of UI. But early edition started giving me a lot of dupe feeds and I finally gave up on both.

I like netnewswire for a while, but ultimately fell back to newsrack because nnw, like others, relies on google and can't manage feeds on its own.

Its funny how so many of us are willing to try/buy so many different apps in the search for this one holy grail .

Oh tis true indeed! But I am underwhelmed by reeder to try it out.

rickeames
Jul 18, 2010, 04:18 PM
I can get every single one of the good RSS readers to crash on a good image heavy RSS feed. It makes me crazy. Reeder does it, NNW, NewsRack. NewsRack's biggest issue at the moment is that it is just wrong about article counts.

Reeder is the best of the lot, but still crashes a lot and the author is not as responsive as one would hope. I have sent him a ton of crash logs and got no response.

applesupergeek
Jul 18, 2010, 05:06 PM

It's excellent, needs some work done, but is a fantastic piece of software, intelligent auto categorising of topics is the next best thing to sliced bread. I hope the velopper keeps bettering it.

applesupergeek
Jul 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
I can get every single one of the good RSS readers to crash on a good image heavy RSS feed. It makes me crazy. Reeder does it, NNW, NewsRack. NewsRack's biggest issue at the moment is that it is just wrong about article counts.

Reeder is the best of the lot, but still crashes a lot and the author is not as responsive as one would hope. I have sent him a ton of crash logs and got no response.

Daily edition doesn't crash often at all.

srl7741
Jul 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
There is always room for improvement w/software but Reeder is still my go-to RSS App. I don't have any complaints about it altho i would love to see the main page icons look a little more polished. I'm just not sure how that can be done when some of it is dependent on the Feeds Site developer I think?

IronLogik
Jul 18, 2010, 08:44 PM
There is always room for improvement w/software but Reeder is still my go-to RSS App. I don't have any complaints about it altho i would love to see the main page icons look a little more polished. I'm just not sure how that can be done when some of it is dependent on the Feeds Site developer I think?

Yup. Hoping the developer adds the ability to browse by feed in a future release like you can in the iPhone app. Wish I could just pick a particular feed sometimes. Most of my feeds are in a folder based on category.

PlaceofDis
Jul 18, 2010, 08:48 PM
i like reeder, and i have been using it more and more as it turns out. just wish i could add feeds through it like with newsrack. as suck newsrack won't be going away any time soon for me.

applesupergeek
Jul 19, 2010, 06:56 AM
i like reeder, and i have been using it more and more as it turns out. just wish i could add feeds through it like with newsrack. as suck newsrack won't be going away any time soon for me.

What? You can't even add feeds directly thorugh it? What a load of rubbish

PR.
Jul 22, 2010, 06:19 AM
Was relying on Reeder last week while I was on holiday and only had a single bar of GPRS connectivity, Reeder behaved very well, sometimes took a while to download 400+ items but once it was done I could star/mark as read everything and re-sync.

superflush
Jul 23, 2010, 03:45 AM
Was relying on Reeder last week while I was on holiday and only had a single bar of GPRS connectivity, Reeder behaved very well, sometimes took a while to download 400+ items but once it was done I could star/mark as read everything and re-sync.

That is pretty crazy. I think the lowest service I've used on the iPad so far has been EDGE. Reeder definitely seems to update the feeds very quickly (in comparison with other RSS apps).

applesupergeek
Jul 23, 2010, 08:15 PM
What feeds those that you can't add unless you go via the big google pimp?

That's an epic fail.

srl7741
Aug 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
Reeder released an update today. Some nice additions and fixes. Check for the updates.

JulianL
Aug 3, 2010, 05:00 AM
Reeder released an update today. Some nice additions and fixes. Check for the updates.

I'm disappointed that they haven't added the ability to add/delete/organise feeds from within Reeder yet though. I don't get on too well with Google's web site so I keep another RSS app on my iPad for when I need to manage my feeds and needing this extra app is irritating.

Still, if Reeder doesn't add this functionality soon then I suppose that at least Apple will be coming along in the fall with iOS 4 for the iPad and I can tuck these occasionally-used apps away in a folder on my final app screen.

- Julian