PDA

View Full Version : Did 'erase all contents/restore settings' and now stuck on Apple logo

danpass
Jun 12, 2010, 10:19 AM
Phone is 312 and was jailbroken.

Did the erase all settings in-phone function and it got stuck on the Apple logo and the little clock thing showed up rotated a few times and just stuck there static.

Then I decided to hit the power and home buttons until it turned off, it did, then I turned it on and its just stuck on the Apple logo.

Haven't plugged into the computer yet.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 12, 2010, 10:25 AM
I think u were supposed to restore it first then do that and then after re-jailbreak. :(

dhlizard
Jun 12, 2010, 10:59 AM
Phone is 312 and was jailbroken.

Did the erase all settings in-phone function and it got stuck on the Apple logo and the little clock thing showed up rotated a few times and just stuck there static.

Then I decided to hit the power and home buttons until it turned off, it did, then I turned it on and its just stuck on the Apple logo.

Haven't plugged into the computer yet.

Think about it. "Erase all content" You deleted the operating system.

You will have to restore the phone.

danpass
Jun 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
Think about it. "Erase all content" You deleted the operating system.

You will have to restore the phone.

nice try ;)

did the same thing with my iPad as well as previous iPhones.

being stuck on the Apple is new to me

dhlizard
Jun 12, 2010, 11:08 AM
nice try ;)

did the same thing with my iPad as well as previous iPhones.

being stuck on the Apple is new to me

The phone will not complete booting up so it will not get past Apple boot screen.

danpass
Jun 12, 2010, 11:11 AM
The phone will not complete booting up so it will not get past Apple boot screen.

Just FYI. The Erase All Content option is right there in Settings --> Reset.

Its not going to delete the OS ;)

dhlizard
Jun 12, 2010, 11:18 AM

Its not going to delete the OS ;)

I think you will find you are wrong. Erase all content and settings does erase the drive and the OS.

Check the other threads here.

Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7039978&postcount=4) is just one example. There are hundreds of others. That's why when you claim you have done this before, this has not happened seemed impossible/FAIL

Google "erase all content and settings iphone" and you will get dozens of the same posts

danpass
Jun 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
Well I did EXACTLY that with my iPad and it rebooted, by itself, as new out of the box, no music, no ibooks, no plugging into computer, etc and it worked fine as well as with my prior iphone

now ........ maybe its a (mis)function of the jailbreak

and thanks for FINALLY ;) pointing to another method: "hold down the home button as you plug it into the computer.

-aggie-
Jun 12, 2010, 11:38 AM

Itís not going to delete the OS ;)

Youíre confused with reset all settings, I think. Erase all content erases ALL CONTENT.

And searching on erase all content in the iPhone forums would have got you to dhlizardís link.

BTW, you need to do a DFU restore.

danpass
Jun 12, 2010, 11:41 AM
Youíre confused with reset all settings, I think. Erase all content erases ALL CONTENT.

And searching on erase all content in the iPhone forums would have got you to dhlizardís link.

BTW, you need to do a DFU restore.

thanks, already underway.

I had only done a title search for 'restore'

DmbShn41
Jun 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
Well I did EXACTLY that with my iPad and it rebooted, by itself, as new out of the box, no music, no ibooks, no plugging into computer, etc and it worked fine as well as with my prior iphone

now ........ maybe its a (mis)function of the jailbreak

and thanks for FINALLY ;) pointing to another method: "hold down the home button as you plug it into the computer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just wiped my iPad as I'm selling it, and even when I bought it, new out of the box was 'Connect to iTunes' and that was it.
You may have a pretty, well designed brick on your hands.

The General
Jun 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
I have definitely used "Erase all content and settings" several times in the passed and it did NOT erase the operating system. I was presented with the unactivated lock screen that shows the plugin to iTunes logo.

Don't even TRY to tell me that it erases the entire operating system. I've done it outside of the Apple store to de-jailbreak my phone before getting a replacement. I've done it standing in front of a Craigslist buyer to erase everything on my iPhone. I've done it when I was having problems on my iPhone and didn't have time to download the firmware package to restore my iPhone because my internet was extremely slow.

It definitely does NOT erase the operating system of the phone. Maybe that changed with 3.1.3 (I have not tried it on 3.1.3 yet) but I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that since the feature was added to iPhone OS all the through 3.1.2, it did NOT erase the operating system of the phone.