Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epicc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Hey, I was just trying to figure out if there was any way to fix this problem quickly as it's the last few days of school and I need to finish writing up multiple labs .. Which have been saved on my second Hard Disk.

My mac froze, so I had to do a manual reset, and since then, it no longer mounts my second Disk when booted up.
"Repair Disk" and "Verify Disk" on Disk Utility both don't work, I start them and they stop doing the repair and verification within about a minute.
Also, all my time machine backups are saved to my second Hard Disk.

I'm aware I can use 3rd party programs to rescue my files, but I would much rather just fix the problem completely, and I can't waste any time running around this weekend because I have 3 exams next week.

Thanks ahead of time :)

*On a Powermac G4

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do any error messages appear in Disk Utility (DU) while you try to repair or verify the disk? Does the volume name still show up in DU?

What Mac OS X version do you use?

Have you tried running DU from the restore DVD?

Epicc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Do any error messages appear in Disk Utility (DU) while you try to repair or verify the disk? Does the volume name still show up in DU?

What Mac OS X version do you use?

Have you tried running DU from the restore DVD?

When I try to verify it says "Incorrect number of thread records" twice right after "Checking catalog file", and "Invalid node structure" right after "Checking catalog hierarchy", and then the volume check fails and it stops.

When I try to repair it says "Invalid key length" right after "Checking catalog file", and then the volume check fails and it stops.

I'd have to search long and hard around the house for any Software for this Mac, can't remember the last time I've needed any.

Hard drive 2 shows up in Disk Utility but in grey.

Running on Leopard, 10.5.8
Thanks

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Did you tried to repair HDD with Leopard Install disc or this which came with your machine?

You can also try DiskWarrior. It's more powerful than DU.

Epicc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Did you tried to repair HDD with Leopard Install disc or this which came with your machine?

You can also try DiskWarrior. It's more powerful than DU.

Well, DiskWarrior just worked.
but definitely not in the way that I expected it to,
My download location was set to Hard Drive 2, And so I downloaded Diskwarrior, Right clicked "Show in Finder" and Hard Drive 2 randomly opened itself.
And it mounted again when I restarted as well, and is now running much faster.
This is why I love Macs. :apple:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Seems like problem "solved itself". Maybe it lies in your boot volume/system files, not this HDD2... If it'll happen again, check both drives with Leopard Install DVD or Disk Warrior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.