PDA

View Full Version : Leawood, KS I4 launch

cfairbank
Jun 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Anyone lining up at the Leawood store on the 24th?

Jman14
Jun 13, 2010, 12:11 AM
If I can't find a way to get guaranteed that my phone will ship FedEx, then I will be lining up in Leawood. Lol

Jman14
Jun 13, 2010, 06:41 PM
Anyone else? What about the Plaza?

cfairbank
Jun 17, 2010, 10:07 AM
I will be skipping the line this year. Was able to get my pre order with delivery on the 24th. Might stop by the store once my phone is delivered to check out any cases that may show up that day.

nvelker
Jun 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
Anyone camping the Apple Store in Leawood, Kansas for the iphone 4? What time are you going? Do you know anyone else going?

I reserved one for in-store pick up... but I need another for my wife. So I'll be there a little early.

Anyone camping out all night, or know anyone else who is?

reesecollins518
Jun 18, 2010, 06:17 PM
Anyone else? What about the Plaza?

i have 2 reserved at the plaza store. i live closer to the leawood store but on the missouri side....i try to stay away from leawood as much as possible.

Jman14
Jun 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'll be there. I am geting there about 12:30am. I too have one reserved but want to beat the activation sever crash. I'll prob be the only 16 year old waiting in line. Ha

divad1978
Jun 18, 2010, 09:19 PM
Anyone camping the Apple Store in Leawood, Kansas for the iphone 4? What time are you going? Do you know anyone else going?

Will be going at 5am with my roommate. We both have preorders reserved.

AbjectEvolution
Jun 19, 2010, 05:05 AM
My friend and I have one reserved and were planning on showing up at 6:30am. What kind of wait are we looking at?

Irritated Jones
Jun 19, 2010, 09:09 AM

I'm going to be up there visiting my in-laws and celebrating my anniversary, so I had our phones reserved to the Leawood store. I received the confirmation emails from Apple, so I'm hoping that means I'm guaranteed a phone on the 24th no matter what time I show up during the day. But call my paranoid because I'm considering getting up there still early in the morning. I'm just not sure how they'll handle the high demand.

I'm debating about getting up there around 3 am or so just to make sure I get my reservation, and to maybe dodge the server crash that I'm sure will take place on Thursday.

What are you planning on doing?

haenchensd
Jun 19, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'll be there early too. I have a reservation, but the line saying "Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis." leaves me a bit worried based on all the other problems.

AbjectEvolution
Jun 20, 2010, 04:12 PM
Turns out I have to be to work by 9AM. I have a reservation and am planning on showing up there around 5AM. What are my chances of getting my phone and getting out of there by 8:30?

krnboy503
Jun 20, 2010, 04:17 PM
Turns out I have to be to work by 9AM. I have a reservation and am planning on showing up there around 5AM. What are my chances of getting my phone and getting out of there by 8:30?

Hmm I would drive by around 3am and see if there is a long line...but that's just me. If there is no iTunes/AT&T activation problems, then you should be out before 8:30am but that depends on the activation and how many people are infront of you.

Jman14
Jun 20, 2010, 06:50 PM
I am hoping to be one of the first 20 in line by getting there about 12:30am.

AbjectEvolution
Jun 20, 2010, 07:19 PM
There is no way I can get out there at 3am. The store isn't very close to me and I work that day... I won't be able to operate well without much sleep. I'm already getting up at 4:30AM.

It would suck to get there at 5am and wait for 3.5 hours only to leave and not be able to get the phone. I guess we'll see what happens.

watchurbak21
Jun 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
Ya I'll be there around 2. I need to leave on a trip at 8 so I have to be close to the front

nvelker
Jun 21, 2010, 09:10 AM
I'll be there. I have one reserved, but I need another. Heading there nice and early? Does anyone know if the wifi from the apple store is free? OR, if there are outlets for power?

nvelker
Jun 21, 2010, 09:18 AM
Hmm I would drive by around 3am and see if there is a long line...but that's just me. If there is no iTunes/AT&T activation problems, then you should be out before 8:30am but that depends on the activation and how many people are infront of you.

You should also be able to leave with the phones... and not activate them. I think I am going to get both my wife's and my phones and leave... activate them myself at home. This should really cut down the time there in the store.

nvelker
Jun 21, 2010, 09:38 AM
Since we'll all be there... anyone want to have doughnuts and coffee? There has to be some place we can send someone with cash once we are all there. We'll hold their place in line, of course.

cfairbank
Jun 21, 2010, 09:48 AM
Little envious of you guys. I pre ordered and my iphone to be shipped to the house launch day. On the plus side I know I am getting one. On the negative I wont be a part of the craziness that happens at the store. I had a great time hanging out at the Leawood store grand opening / iphone 3g launch. I arrived around 10:00 pm the night prior and had of fun hanging with the people that came out. Hoping my iphone arrives early and I can head down there sometime in the morning. Would be nice to snag another iPhone for my wife:). Have fun!

nvelker
Jun 21, 2010, 11:02 AM
Little envious of you guys. I pre ordered and my iphone to be shipped to the house launch day. On the plus side I know I am getting one. On the negative I wont be a part of the craziness that happens at the store. I had a great time hanging out at the Leawood store grand opening / iphone 3g launch. I arrived around 10:00 pm the night prior and had of fun hanging with the people that came out. Hoping my iphone arrives early and I can head down there sometime in the morning. Would be nice to snag another iPhone for my wife:). Have fun!

I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. Have never been to a launch before. So I am pumped to get there early and meet some fellow MacHeads.

Jman14
Jun 21, 2010, 12:05 PM
Since we'll all be there... anyone want to have doughnuts and coffee? There has to be some place we can send someone with cash once we are all there. We'll hold their place in line, of course.

Is there anywhere around there like a Lamars, or Dunkin Donuts?

Jman14
Jun 21, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'll be there. I have one reserved, but I need another. Heading there nice and early? Does anyone know if the wifi from the apple store is free? OR, if there are outlets for power?

Not sure about power outlets, but I know they have WiFi.

nvelker
Jun 21, 2010, 01:27 PM
Is there anywhere around there like a Lamars, or Dunkin Donuts?

I'm sure there is. I'll be there early. Hopefully near the front of the line.

nvelker
Jun 21, 2010, 01:28 PM
Not sure about power outlets, but I know they have WiFi.

That's good. At least we'll have some solid hours of wifi browsing.

Jman14
Jun 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
I'm sure there is. I'll be there early. Hopefully near the front of the line.

Same here.I'll be there about 12:30am- 1am. My mom (Im 16) isn't so thrilled of waiting there with me.

yaddam205
Jun 21, 2010, 06:25 PM
Ill be there around 4am. I am being positive in thinking apple will have White iphone 4's on launch. If there's only black then I go home empty handed.

I'm down for a doughnut run.

See you folks there.

Jman14
Jun 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
There is a Lamar's about 5 miles up the road. I would have to talk to my mom, but I bet I could run up there once everyone gets there and she can hold my spot in line.

blake4ku
Jun 22, 2010, 01:03 AM
I'm hoping to get there around 3am with my friend. I didn't reserve one so i'm hoping to get my hands on one. My question is which i'm sure has been asked a thousand times, I'm not the primary account holder,my dad is ,however i'm an authorized user and I know all the codes including his SSN. Will that be enough? Or should I line up in the ATT store a couple blocks away. My fear is the ATT store will run out quickly, while the apple store will have a larger amount of phones. Thanks for your help.
I believe Lamars opens at 5am, so that would be perfect for a donut run.

nvelker
Jun 22, 2010, 08:32 AM
There is a Lamar's about 5 miles up the road. I would have to talk to my mom, but I bet I could run up there once everyone gets there and she can hold my spot in line.

Don't be rediculous. We wouldn't make you give up your spot because you get everyone doughnuts. If anyone else would, I'll talk to them...

cfairbank
Jun 22, 2010, 08:57 AM
Stoked! I am going to make it out in the morning! Got my confirmation last night that my phone will be delivered tomorrow. Have to work tomorrow night and do not get off till 6:30 am Thursday. Heading out there to hopefully at least get a case and try to pick up an iphone 4 for my wife. Wish I could be out there tomorrow night but least I wont have to sit around waiting Thursday for the Fed Ex Guy.

nvelker
Jun 22, 2010, 01:26 PM
Cool. Well, I guess we'll se all you guys out there tomorrow night sometime. Sounds fun!

Jman14
Jun 22, 2010, 07:50 PM
Alright guys tomorrow night I'll be heading up there. Is anyone else going to be there earlier than like 4am? Ill post what spot I am in line tomorrow about 12:30.

I talked with my mom, and since she is gonna be there with me she will hold my spot in line and I will go get us donuts at 5am for anyone who wants any. Unless someone else planned on this already.

BTW: I am 16 and my name is Jon- Just to introduce myself.

Irritated Jones
Jun 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
Anyone know if anyone is camped out yet? I'm wondering when to get there still. I received my reminder for my reservation. However I still wonder about the first come first serve. Oh well guess I'll show up around 4.

nvelker
Jun 23, 2010, 08:21 AM
Alright guys tomorrow night I'll be heading up there. Is anyone else going to be there earlier than like 4am? Ill post what spot I am in line tomorrow about 12:30.

I talked with my mom, and since she is gonna be there with me she will hold my spot in line and I will go get us donuts at 5am for anyone who wants any. Unless someone else planned on this already.

BTW: I am 16 and my name is Jon- Just to introduce myself.

Hi, Jon, I'm nate. I'll be there earlier than 4am... not sure what time, though. Have a few things to do tonight before I head over.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone close enough that they could drive by and see whether or not people are camping out this morning? I know the realease is tomorrow at 7am, but I would like to know whether or not people are lining up? I guess I could call the apple store...

Irritated Jones
Jun 23, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hi, Jon, I'm nate. I'll be there earlier than 4am... not sure what time, though. Have a few things to do tonight before I head over.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone close enough that they could drive by and see whether or not people are camping out this morning? I know the realease is tomorrow at 7am, but I would like to know whether or not people are lining up? I guess I could call the apple store...

I was going to give them a call sometime today. I'm also supposed to go out shopping with my wife as well, so I'm probably just going to swing by and have a look. I'll update with what I find out.

I'm hoping this isn't like the 3GS launch in that I didn't pre-order because of the whole AT&T contract deal. Anyways, I walked up and was in a line that was about 5 people deep, compared to all those that had pre-ordered for in store pick up.

dustin45
Jun 23, 2010, 09:08 AM
So, I've heard a lot of talk about the Leawood KS store, but not much about the Plaza store, so I hope that means that there won't be very many people lining up there.

I did NOT pre-order, so I'm going early to stand out there with the chumps who hesitated too long. ANYONE ELSE going to the plaza??

nvelker
Jun 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
I was going to give them a call sometime today. I'm also supposed to go out shopping with my wife as well, so I'm probably just going to swing by and have a look. I'll update with what I find out.

I'm hoping this isn't like the 3GS launch in that I didn't pre-order because of the whole AT&T contract deal. Anyways, I walked up and was in a line that was about 5 people deep, compared to all those that had pre-ordered for in store pick up.

I think this will be different. At&t lowered the data plan pricing... combined with early upgrade at an affordable price.... you do the math. 600,000 units reserved or preorderd in less than 24 hours... I think that says a lot.

nvelker
Jun 23, 2010, 12:54 PM
For the record, I'll be wearing a blue tshirt that says "It's Saturday!" on the front of it. Might have a rain slicker on, which depends on the weather. And army cargo shorts. Might have a red hat, on, too...

No need to look good, right? Functional. That's my motto.

Irritated Jones
Jun 23, 2010, 01:34 PM
Anyone talked to the store yet to see if people are lined up yet? I haven't made it by there yet, and the wait on the phone is 6 calls deep.

Golfer00ksu
Jun 23, 2010, 02:24 PM
[/QUOTE]Just out of curiosity, is anyone close enough that they could drive by and see whether or not people are camping out this morning? I know the realease is tomorrow at 7am, but I would like to know whether or not people are lining up? I guess I could call the apple store...[/QUOTE]

Dropped by leawood store around 1 today. There were 3 people already in line!

Jennbngl
Jun 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
I was there getting an Ipad case and yes, there are already people in line. I may go get my pre-order tomorrow, but may also wait. It will be too crazy. A friend got his today and said the syncing was taking awhile.

nvelker
Jun 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
I've heard there are a few people in line... they are crazy. There is a heat advisory right now... and thunderstorms all night. Bring a rain coat!

I won't be there til early tomorrow morning. Probably 3 or 4 am.

Irritated Jones
Jun 23, 2010, 06:02 PM
Just got off the phone with the an Apple Employee at the Leawood location. He said he guessed there were 15 to 20 people in line. Thinking about camping out now.

enderval
Jun 23, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'll probably come out after I get a few hours of sleep, but I don't get off work tonight until 11:30. I'll come out in the morning, but I suspect I may leave empty handed. I just hope they have another shipment coming in on Friday...

jeffvb9
Jun 23, 2010, 07:32 PM
Just went by around 6:00 and there were probably 30 people in line.

I cant decide whether to get there around 7:30 or wait until my lunch break at noon to head over.

enderval
Jun 23, 2010, 08:06 PM
Just went by around 6:00 and there were probably 30 people in line.

I cant decide whether to get there around 7:30 or wait until my lunch break at noon to head over.

Thanks for the update, I was curious about that.

Do you really think they'll have units left for people arriving at 7:30 (much less at noon)?

Don't get me wrong, I hope they have enough for everyone that comes by tomorrow. I'm just saying...

labrat1996
Jun 23, 2010, 10:43 PM
I've already got my phone but I want a bumper. It might be fun to drop by there as see the "event" tomorrow. Have fun - it's really nice out right now so you should be comfortable if you are camping.:)

cfairbank
Jun 23, 2010, 10:52 PM
My phone delivered today. Will be there in the morning to try and find a case. Wish I was there but have to work. How many in line now? Can anyone post some pics.

Jman14
Jun 23, 2010, 11:22 PM
Walk-in line has about 150 people. Reservation line- 10. Thank goodness I got a reservation!

Koobe
Jun 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
So you're saying even though I have a reservation and was planning on heading over around 1pm, there is a chance all phones will be gone? What's the point in taking a reservation then?

Jman14
Jun 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
I am pretty sure that if you have a reservation your guaranteed a phone til the end of the day.

Jman14
Jun 24, 2010, 02:04 AM
Anyone else here yet?

anfmanusa
Jun 24, 2010, 02:09 AM
I can/ and cant believe that there are already soo many people in line!

Do you think it will be possible to find out how many units the store has once sales start at 7am?

I made a futile attempt to judge how many units they will have.
If there are 221 stores in the US, and they pre-sold 600,000, then standard size store probably has at-least 1000 on hand to hand out to those that have the units reserved. Im sure the larger stores such as those in NY and Chicago have much more in stock. So 1000 for a store like leawood could be high...

Then, add to that the number they have for those that did not reserve the phone and you are looking at a pretty good number. Personally, I believe there may be a shortage, the numbers posted by best buy and walmarts prove this, but on the other hand I know apple to be pretty good at completely managing everything they are involved in and have two ideas;

1. the short supply other stores such as best buy and walmart are a result of apple wanting to be in control of the buying experience as the media will be all over the event. so as a result, they have made sure any sales at best buy ad walmart amount to a trivial event.
2. with this control, i believe their supply "shortages" have been pushed a little further into media hype than truth in reality. They have been producing these units since may, and with production at a million per month, that gives apple a pretty large number of iphone in inventory.

I would expect apple might be sold out in most every store by the end of the day, but then again, they have a number to beat so they have a sales number that wont be beat by the competition until they reach an even higher number next summer with the iphone 5.

I guess we will all know soon if this is even close to the truth or if we will see a repeat of the mess from two weeks ago. best of luck to those waiting all night, i would but standing in front of the store all night just didnt appeal to me after a couple less than stellar experiences of visiting this particular store.

Goteki
Jun 24, 2010, 02:27 AM
I got here around 0:30. The line had 95 people then, only 4 people showed up in the hour after that. The pre-order line is less than 20 people right now. I'm about 5th in line if you want me to say hi. And say hey if you want your picture taken!

Goteki
Jun 24, 2010, 02:32 AM
Oh, and the police got here around 1. No idea if they are still here. Also we just got a guy driving by in a chevy S-10 screaming "iPhone sucks [explicative]!!!" which no one was really prepared for.

cfairbank
Jun 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
If we are not buying a phone can you still enter the store early. Just looking for case.

Jman14
Jun 24, 2010, 03:34 AM
I'm not for sure to tell you The truth. I'd figure so... But don't take my word for it.

AbjectEvolution
Jun 24, 2010, 03:43 AM
I'm about to be on my way. How long is the reserve line? Hopefully we'll be done by 8:30 so that I can get to work with a new phone! I'll be wearing a white tool shirt and black/white plaid shorts.

Goteki
Jun 24, 2010, 03:59 AM
There are still about 25 people in the reserved line right now. I'm in the mac classic disassembly tshirt.

Goteki
Jun 24, 2010, 04:01 AM
By the way, 8:30 is probably not going to happen for you if launches past are any indication.

AbjectEvolution
Jun 24, 2010, 04:03 AM
By the way, 8:30 is probably not going to happen for you if launches past are any indication.

I heard that they can get through reservations pretty quick now especially if there isn't some sort of activation crash. That probably won't happen seeing as though so many phones were activated yesterday to ease things up. Here's hoping anyway.

anfmanusa
Jun 24, 2010, 04:43 AM
What has been the typical setup for launch days in the past?

anfmanusa
Jun 24, 2010, 05:58 AM
how long is the line now?

Jman14
Jun 24, 2010, 06:01 AM
There getting much longer. Prob 50-75 in the reservation. 150 or so walk ins.

Jman14
Jun 24, 2010, 06:08 AM
There getting much longer. Prob 50-75 in the reservation. 150 or so walk ins.

anfmanusa
Jun 24, 2010, 06:24 AM
do you think there will be any way of knowing how many they have in stock once the store opens at 7am?

JasonCoffee
Jun 24, 2010, 06:39 AM
how long is the line? anyone really deep in the line?

Drewby1234
Jun 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
How is everything looking since it opened at Leawood or the Plaza?

How long has it taken once you got in the store?

I have a pre-reservation at the Plaza and am looking to try and go in over my lunch without taking 2 hrs...any chance of that?

cfairbank
Jun 24, 2010, 08:57 AM
Just left the Store and lines were huge. Two lines stretching opposite directions. One for reservations and one for walk-ins. My guess is there were 200-300 people. I am happy that I was as to pre-order and received my iPhone yesterday via fedex.

I was lucky enough to be let in just to buy a bumper. Have some pics taken with my iPhone and will post them later good luck to all you guys out there trying to pick up a phone.

Goteki
Jun 24, 2010, 09:56 AM
anfmanusa: the store employees were specifically not willing to give people numbers on available units.

labrat1996
Jun 24, 2010, 10:18 AM
Did they have plenty of bumpers and if so, did they have colors other than black?

JasonCoffee
Jun 24, 2010, 11:16 AM
Did anyone get an iPhone at Leawood in the past few minutes?

anfmanusa
Jun 24, 2010, 11:59 AM
So the guy who was waiting in line since 730 last night just came out with his iPhone a little bit ago. They handed out tickets. If u have one they said u can leave and come back at any point in the day before the store closes to retrieve your phone. They also said they will stay open till there is not a line, even past the established 9pm closing time.

cfairbank
Jun 24, 2010, 12:14 PM
Talked with a guy at best buy in Lee's Summit when looking for a case and he said he picked his up at the plaza this am. He got there around 9:00 last night and there were quite a few people out there as well. An apple employee informed him that they had approx 600 phones for those who reserved and another 600 for walk ins.

Here are a few pics I took with the new phone this am when I stopped by to pick up a bumper. Props to all those standing in line and I hope you all snag your phone.:)

labrat1996
Jun 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
Well at least this was one of the nicest days so far this Summer so the people in line didn't have to suffer too much. How many bumpers do they have left? I was hoping to run by there on my way home from work since my white bumper won't be here for a few weeks.

enderval
Jun 24, 2010, 07:32 PM
Had to leave my place in line this afternoon to get to work. With any luck they'll still be open late tonight so I can use the fancy ticket they gave me...

enderval
Jun 25, 2010, 02:31 AM
Had to leave my place in line this afternoon to get to work. With any luck they'll still be open late tonight so I can use the fancy ticket they gave me...

Got it! I went by after work (just before midnight) and the doors were still open! Got my iPhone 4!

By the way, it didn't sound like they were running short (in case anyone's still eager to get one tomorrow...)

nvelker
Jun 25, 2010, 10:16 AM
I walked out with two phones yesterday... at work this morning... so tired. Not sleeping for two days is pretty aweful. But considering the prize, it was well worth it.

I wish I was as sexy as my iphone 4.

udunnome
Jun 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
The following is my recap of events of I4 launch in the Kansas City area. As far as I am concerned the events are an accurate portrayal of what actually occured. However, increasing frustration and heat may have affected some recollection.

Couldn't sleep Wednesday night for reasons other than iPhone launch and decided to roll up to the Apple Store to check things out. Armed with a fully charged iPhone 3GS and iPad 3G AND iPad WIFI, I arrived at the Leawood store about 5:30 am to a line of about 154 people. After waiting since 5:30 am until nearly 6:00 or 7:00pm, I feel more like a pawn of Apple than ever before. Having waited in lines before at the Apple Store, my impression was that it would move quickly through and I'd be out of there by brunch. "3 hours tops" was my thought.

While this was no surprise to me, I found the events of the day increasingly humorous. The secrecy and the games initiated to promote the impression of exclusivity and huge demand were quite intriging. Until it became increasingly frustrating. Both the reserved and the standby lines moved at snails paces.

By about 11:00 am, one of Leawood's finest made an annoucement that vouchers would be passed out to match up with available stock. If you don't get a voucher, you won't get an iPhone today.

Officer Jennings made his way through the line passing out cards marked either 16 or 32, representing the sizes available for black iPhone 4's. Very quickly, within about 5 minutes, he proclaimed, "We've run out of 16's, all we have left now is 32's." A few people actually left at this point.

Officer Jennings continued to pass out cards marked 32 until he reached about position..... 150. Yep, right in front of me by about 4 spaces. "I'm out!, that's all we have." <60 second pause while conferring with an Apple shirted rep> "But don't leave yet... it sounds like we might have some more coming available."

After disappearing for 10-15 minutes, officer Jennings emerges to cheers with 2 stacks of vouchers, both 16 and 32's. After a moment of denying trades as he walked through the line, he quickly sucumbed to the crowds pleas to make trades from 32 to 16's.

Jennings works his way back to me and I request 2 32's, "Does this promise me an iPhone today?", "Yes, it does, as long as you have a voucher." Now if I believed there would be a genuine shortage of iPhone's, I would not have taken the extra card as I was only planning on picking up one. But the max was 2, so I asked for 2. The voucher provided a "reset" to the patience level.

Throughout the day, Apple shirts moved through the crowd with breakfast sandwiches, burritos, water, soft drinks, ice juices and several other snacks to tide us over.

The lines continued to snail through. There were several points in the day when I reflected personal disappointment for putting up with this, but my iPhone 3GS has become unreliable to the point of nearly useless, so I was getting a new iPhone TODAY.

Several calls around town to other "stocking iPhone 4's on launch day stores" resulted in, "we've run out" or "we never got any." The manager of a Radio Shack over in KCK actually reported that Apple was very specific on the wording and the "corporate line" regarding iPhone 4.

Several friends were playing the Walmart, Best Buy, Radio Shack, AT&T game, both by car and over the phone. None were successful, but all had varying reports of inventory. I struck a deal with one friend to land me one if he came across it, or I'd give him my extra 32 voucher.

The comradery of those around was both refreshing and frequently fuel for the displeasure of the day. When you go through an event like this with others, the common ground quickly forms connections. After a few hours, it was pretty common to walk out of line knowing that your position was safe.

Throughout the day, several strangers around offered advice, kindness, and favors for others. I could respectfully walk out of line at anytime and know that my place was secure. I tried to offer assistance to those around me.. picking up an extra sandwich, an extra drink, or watching personal belongings while line mates left their positions.

Reports of "bumper" case shortages filtered through the line, so I suggested a walkin "street" purchase before everyone else got through. Since I'd just returned from walkabout, I gave a kind lady $100 to pick me up a black one if available. She later returned with a shiny Apple logo bag containing my black bumper and change.

Things started quickly going downhill for my patience when my 3GS started to fail and my iPad 3G was losing battery. This was about 1:00pm. I returned to my truck for a charging session while loaning a fellow line mate's red lined iPhone a charge as well. I gave him the keys to my truck in case he needed his phone, while I walked around the shopping center a little while.

My job and place in line was merely knowing who was in front of me and who was behind me. I hoped neither left or moved, because I'd be lost. A couple young FOB (Use of this term by me is not disrespectful and is provisioned due to my own Asian decent) Japanese guys mysteriously moved from a few places behind me, to a few places in front of me. After asking around, it seems they had moved up on their own. The crowd around was passive about it. After conferring with those around me, I said I'd take care of it. With the cooperation of the people in front of me, *I* cut in front a couple positions myself. When the line progressed forward, I played dumb and asked everyone around me where I was in line and who was in front of and who was behind them, until the 2 Japanese guys were left out. "I think you guys were back there."

Growing increasingly inpatient, I called an employee off another job to come stand in line for me. I'd gotten very little work done and my communication with the world ceased. While he waited in line with about 30 people in front, I continued to wander around the shopping center.

I loitered in nearly every store in the shopping center, including the Crate & Barrell, Z Gallery, the yogurt shop, and even the maternity clothing store, when I realized that I should just wait IN the Apple Store.

I started playing with several iPhone 4's, compared them to the demo 3GS, and even made a few phone calls on the demos while waiting. While ambidextrously working 2 iPhone 4's, only the one in my left hand went "SEARCHING..." on me. WTF? I set it down on the table and it slowly regained signal status. I pick it back up and it drops bar by bar to little or no signal. Is it a fluke? No, I recreated it with the phone from my right hand. My impression is that my left hand position on the phone was causing antenna shorting or interference.

I suddenly realized that the energy level within the Apple Store was NO WHERE NEAR what it has been on launches past. A sign was that... I was sitting at a table of iPhone 4's all by myself. There wasn't any hustle and I found that several employees weren't actually helping customers with I4's. Were they short staffed? I don't think so.. it seemed like lots of Apple shirts around. What gives?

Each time I borrowed the employee restroom at the Apple Store, there were up to a dozen employees taking a break, or refilling and preparing refreshments in the back. It was rare not to have at least 6 standing around in the small back room entry.

I had always believed that there were Apple corporate directives issued to promote impressions of higher demands and limited availability, but these seemed to go to extreme. Try to get a quantity or ANY number of ANYTHING out of an employee. They'll skirt you off or provide a humorous answer.

So I sit back out front at the iPhone table again and begin to study further. There's NO hustle. My contention is that the outside line is being managed for impression. Impression of demand. Impression of desire. Could this really be as fundamental as keeping the line at a club long? Keep the line long to make it look hopping while bartenders and servers sip on sodas.

About 2:30 rolls around and my employee hasn't moved an inch, but the line in front of him has gone from 4 wide, to 1 or 2 wide. Now there's only 20 people in front of him. Using a demo iPhone 4, I call to leave a message for my voucher partner to come around 3. Based on the ability to get in and out in 10 minutes, he should only have to wait 30-45 minutes. RIGHT?

He rolls up at 3:00 and the line hasn't moved in 30 minutes. We walk over to Sullivans to have a few beers while watching the line at the Apple Store across the parking lot. It ain't moving. My employee is STILL in the same place after an hour.

No the sun has moved positions and is beating on the line. Oh, how gracious, Apple shirts start passing out umbrellas. The line crawls. There's 15 people in front of us.

At about 6:30, we finally made it into the entrance of the store armed with our vouchers. I was greeted nicely by my dedicated Apple shirt, Jason, who had also been there since 5. Knowing that inventory was plentiful, I requested 2 32 gig units and he went to retrieve them. He quickly returned requesting 2 vouchers, which I did not have. I'd given the other to my friend, but told Jason that I probably left it in my truck and was he really going to make me go get it? Yes. So I whined about being too tired, skip it. I want out of here.

"My wife is eligible for an upgrade, but I'm not. I thought I might as well get her one too." No go. I'd have to get back at the end of the line for another. I was very kind and polite while apologizing for my degraded attitude and energy level. Jason understood. We went through the process and activation and my receipt was emailed to me at 6:40 while I held my new iPhone 4.

10 minutes. I was in the door and greeted by Jason and walking out with my new iPhone in 10 minutes. This included some extended discussion and pleading for an additional iPhone for my poor wife who is dealing with a <gasp> iPhone 3G. 10 minutes.

Reports of quick service and walk ins at the Country Club Plaza store phoned in as we walked out. Hmm.. I was really liking the idea of upgrading my wife's phone. DAMN. I am a glutton for punishment. Away to the plaza I go.

At about 7:00, I get to the plaza and walk up to the store where there is a familiar 2 line setup. I walk to the back of the stand by line where a kind Apple shirt greeted me and reviewed the process. "We won't be selling any iPhones to stand by until 9:00, when the reserves will be released." I've been burned by thinking it's only be a 2 hour wait all too freshly. No thanks.

The attempt to locate and return to my truck was severely impaired. So I got lost. My I4 was STILL not active, so I couldn't map myself, so I walked where I thought I parked. Tired and hungry, I walk by the Cheesecake Factory and decide to grab a quick bite before heading home.

As I sit at the bar, I place a call back out to the Apple Store in Leawood. Are there any iPhones if I stop by on my way home? No. We are all sold out. This was about 8:30.

A few beers, Teriyaki Chicken, and a 7" cheesecake to go later, I'm ready to go home. I4 is active, so I map my way back to the Country Club Plaza Apple Store about 9:00 pm to reaquire my truck location.

Well, what do you know.. the line ain't so bad for stand by. A semi-serious offer to bribe the greeter with my full cheesecake for a position resulted in a, "I think there might be enough if you get in line quick." Aw, hell. I really wanted to get my wife one after all this. There's about 20 people in front of me.

The manager of shirts polls the crowd one-by-one and tells us each "yes" or "limited quantities available" (for the 16 gig). I get a yes. The line starts moving. Within 15 minutes, I was at the front of the line. At 9:20, my receipt was in my inbox and I was walking out with my wife's activated I4.

While the events of the day certainly were a memorable experience, I ask myself if it was worth it in the end? Let's assume that quantities were in fact really limited. Knowing what I know now, if I could go back, I would NOT have waited. At every point in the day, I was willing to wait another hour. If I'd known it's be 13 hours, or even 3 hours, I'd have moved on. After nearly 17 hours, I have 2 new I4's. I feel like a chump for putting up with all of this, but it was an experience.

I guess the Apple Store in Leawood "got another shipment" between my call at 8:30 and 11:00 pm, because my friend walked right in and picked up a second one for his wife.

chadelard
Jun 25, 2010, 10:21 PM
@udunnome

I can't believe I actually sat here and read all your ********. OMG you whined because you didn't plan ahead and reserve or buy your iphones, then you bitch because you have to watch your employees run around town and stand in line for you all day while you shop and drink beer with your buddies. Tough life man. Get a new one.

udunnome
Jun 25, 2010, 11:42 PM
@udunnome

I can't believe I actually sat here and read all your ********. OMG you whined because you didn't plan ahead and reserve or buy your iphones, then you bitch because you have to watch your employees run around town and stand in line for you all day while you shop and drink beer with your buddies. Tough life man. Get a new one.

Tried to reserve as did many others unsuccessfully. My employee stood in line for me in my absence for 2 hours. I didn't whine about anything. I merely told my story of the events of the day and reflected upon them. I can't believe you read it either. Oh, I'm quite happy with the life I have, so wont be following your advice to get a new one. Perhaps you should reflect upon your life, you might conclude to follow your own advice. Chill dude.