PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro, public relations, and when?

cohen777
Jun 12, 2010, 01:56 PM
The Mac Pro is central to Apple's business. The iPhone is very important too. A ten billion dollar business is something you nurture and grow. Many people I know use Macs now because of the iphone and ipod. So, I don't begrudge Steve Jobs for focusing on the iPhone during WWDC.

However, I think it was bad public relations on people who are the actual developers to not mention Mac OS and, or the Mac. That discussion would have been a great "And, one more thing."

Furthermore, I think that it is highly improbable that Apple won't announce a Gulftown Mac and a 30 inch iMac like display soon. It has 1 years since the Nehalem was introduced. Other PC makers are going to have the hexacore Xeon available.

We know that Apple is very quiet about when it updates models so as to reduce existing stock, but Apple isn't stupid either, and neither is their business partner Intel.

So hopefully, after the iPhone 4G rollout next week (June 15), maybe we'll have some sort of announcement from Apple about the Mac Pro.

J the Ninja
Jun 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
Was a new thread for this REALLY necessary? I counted at least 5 on the first page you could have posted your thoughts on the refresh in. Of course, now people will get fired up, drag this out to 6 pages, and then we have another "established" thread to complain in...

Ravich
Jun 12, 2010, 02:14 PM
In all fairness, is it necessary for every one of these threads to be filled with "do we really need this thread?" posts?

cohen777
Jun 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hey, this is just my opinion, and what's really amazing is that I have about $4k ready to spend on the new Gulftown Mac for my business use and I'm not spending a dime on the current (466 days ago released) Mac Pro.

Icaras
Jun 12, 2010, 02:37 PM
The Mac Pro is central to Apple's business.

Central? More like the outer rim.

reel2reel
Jun 12, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hey, this is just my opinion, and what's really amazing is that I have about $4k ready to spend on the new Gulftown Mac for my business use and I'm not spending a dime on the current (466 days ago released) Mac Pro.

I think Apple might be able to squeeze by without your 4k. Just a hunch. :rolleyes:

Umbongo
Jun 12, 2010, 03:09 PM

No it is a key part of Apple's ecosystem. It offers far more than the margin they get on the hardware.

cohen777
Jun 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
I think Apple might be able to squeeze by without your 4k. Just a hunch.

Multiply my $4K with everyone else who shares the opinion that 466 days is too long without a refresh and you have some $$$ there.

SmilesLots
Jun 12, 2010, 03:38 PM
I'd be willing to bet that as soon as the inventory of the current over-priced Macs has been reduced sufficiently (whatever that means), then we will hear about new Pros. A lot of $ was put into the current line, and it has not done as well as was hoped for, probably because the price was just not in line. But also remember, this is just MHO.

dimme
Jun 12, 2010, 04:14 PM
I love these threads, I think we can't have enough. And just wait when the new Mac Pro is released there will be just as many threads complaining about the processor or video card or no USB3.

linuxcooldude
Jun 12, 2010, 04:36 PM

Agreed, the Mac Pro designed for developers and professionals comprise a very small portion of the Apple market. So I don't believe its at the center of attention by most users.

the editor
Jun 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
I love these threads, I think we can't have enough. And just wait when the new Mac Pro is released there will be just as many threads complaining about the processor or video card or no USB3.

maybe this tells allot about Apple, MacPro's and MacPro pricing

Cavepainter
Jun 12, 2010, 05:31 PM
Was a new thread for this REALLY necessary? I counted at least 5 on the first page you could have posted your thoughts on the refresh in. Of course, now people will get fired up, drag this out to 6 pages, and then we have another "established" thread to complain in...

So?

With all due respect, you've navigated yourself to a forum on a website called MacRumors, on a category called Mac Pro, on a thread thats clearly titled in such a way to make it pretty obvious what its gonna be about. These threads are'nt littering other categories. They're right here, where they belong. So, why is that a problem?

I guess its the same logic as marchers on a picket line, carrying 1000 copies of the same sign. Why carry more than one? After all, every sign has same exact message written on it. Well, 1000 picket signs each carried by someone angry means far more than just one.

Why bother reading the thread? You're free to go elsewhere. And by all means, you're certainly not obligated to post a message on this thread.

As you've admitted, this will probably fill up with dozens of responses, so whether some on this forum care to admit it or not, apparently there is a real need to vent. If we don't complain, how will Apple know their customers are unhappy?

I think the "do we really need another thread about this?" contingent are having fun complaining about the "we really need another Mac Pro!" threads. Otherwise, why do they keep reading them? (And participating in them.)

So from now on, every thread that pops up about the need for a new Mac Pro, express your disdain by NOT reading thru all 100 posts... and participating in it yourself.

ValSalva
Jun 12, 2010, 07:07 PM

And why no SATA-III and on and on and on :D

parakiet
Jun 13, 2010, 04:11 AM
really

all of this is an indication that when it is released we ALL will jump right on it.

G4DP
Jun 13, 2010, 04:44 AM
I'd be willing to bet that as soon as the inventory of the current over-priced Macs has been reduced sufficiently (whatever that means), then we will hear about new Pros. A lot of $ was put into the current line, and it has not done as well as was hoped for, probably because the price was just not in line. But also remember, this is just MHO.

What are you on. Apple have put the least amount of money into the present MacPro than the previous two generations. The current Xeon's used were more than 50% cheaper per 1000 on launch. They are probably getting them for almost nothing now.

Yet they put the price up.

The MacPro has never been central to Apple Inc. The last Pro Tower to be central was the G5 tower introduction. Apple made such a fuss of it being the fastest PC in the world. It made the news all around the world. The MacPro is nothing more than an after thought.

My present DQ 2.8 will be my last Pro tower from them. They are as far from being value for money as a Ferrari.