Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hannahwildcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Tucson
Ok, so first they said it would be when the Hex-Core processors were announced, then they said it would be WWDC. What's the Deal with apple? I know that iOS is important, but what about computers. If they care so much about their iPhone business, maybe they should get their stick out of their ass and go with verizon. Thats why I don't have one. But this latest move to have no computers at WWDC really scares me. It seems to me that apple is no longer concerned with computers. Please someone ease my fears.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
The Mac Pro is coming, we just dont know when. It could be any day now, or it could be in September or October. We dont know.

To turn this topic into something more productive, what are the chances that Apple will actually update it along with the iPhone this Tuesday? A lot of these discussions tend to turn into whether or not we WANT to see the Mac Pro updated the coming Tuesday, so I was wondering what everyone thinks the actual chances are?

I mean, it seems to me that when Apple updates the Mac Pro, they'd want to do an email. While the "New Mac Pro" wouldnt conflict with the iPhone on the website, it seems weird to send an email saying "iPhone preorders available!" and then "(Also there is a new mac Pro!)"

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
They have done RSS feeds talking about iPhone 4, the new Safari, and iAds on the same day. Since they have already announced the date that iPhone 4 will be up for pre orders, I don't see why that would keep them from also updating the Mac Pro.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
What's on June 29th?

Based on nothing but conjecture and wishful thinking:

1. Hexacore Xeons were rumored to be available at the end of June.

2. Judging from WWDC they wan't iPhone front and center for now and thus during the buildup to iPhone availability a Mac Pro release probably isn't on Apple's immediate radar. Thus this Tuesday the 15th is out. The 22nd is also out because of the 24th being the official day iPhone is available.

But again, this is just one Mac Pro wanter ruminating in the absence of any real information :D

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
Must have been a typo. I think you meant to say

"Mac Pro ~ How About a Reefer?"

I've bought my wife a nice new iMac, and my son a nice new i5 macbookpro.

I was planning to hold out for the new power mac, but now I'm thinking maybe just turn my G5 into a file server and get a different machine for a front end. Really the only reason I want a macpro is for expandability (I have 8 disks either in, or hanging off my g5) Firewire 800 is fast enough for those media disks - back of the envelope suggests GB network is about as fast as firewire 800 - I'm not sure how that works out in practice, guess I better find that out before I do this. All I need is a couple of fast processors, and fast local disk, and a decent monitor/keyboard for my desktop. I don't need 6-8-12-24 cpus. Perhaps I'm silly to want a macpro . . . Maybe an iMac or macbookpro with the G5 as backend file server would suit my needs.

Thoughts?

edit: I'd probably buy a single quad-core macpro today if they gave me 12GB RAM for the price they are asking for 3GB - I'm tired of waiting, but don't want to pay premium price for old specs.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia

I was planning to hold out for the new power mac, but now I'm thinking maybe just turn my G5 into a file server and get a different machine for a front end. Really the only reason I want a macpro is for expandability (I have 8 disks either in, or hanging off my g5) Firewire 800 is fast enough for those media disks - back of the envelope suggests GB network is about as fast as firewire 800 - I'm not sure how that works out in practice, guess I better find that out before I do this. All I need is a couple of fast processors, and fast local disk, and a decent monitor/keyboard for my desktop. I don't need 6-8-12-24 cpus. Perhaps I'm silly to want a macpro . . . Maybe an iMac or macbookpro with the G5 as backend file server would suit my needs.

Thoughts?

edit: I'd probably buy a single quad-core macpro today if they gave me 12GB RAM for the price they are asking for 3GB

Yea, you're silly.... just get an iMac, then you can spend the money you saved on storage solutions :p

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009

Thoughts?

edit: I'd probably buy a single quad-core macpro today if they gave me 12GB RAM for the price they are asking for 3GB - I'm tired of waiting, but don't want to pay premium price for old specs.

I don't think you're silly, but a Mac Pro just for storage cannot be justified, both because of its price and its power consumption.
I'm about to build a Hackintosh for a home server, then I'll be flexible on what to replace my Mac Pro 1,1 with, the power consumption of which isn't justified by the way I use it.

My (overclockable) i5-750 build will cost ~800€ (excl. hard drives, which I already have; but with passively cooled graphics card, sound-insulated case with 8 (!) 3.5" bays...).
Have a look at tonymacx86.blogspot.com and its forums. It's surprisingly easy to build a rock-solid Hackintosh.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Who's "They"?
I never heard Apple say anything.

Ok, so first they said it would be when the Hex-Core processors were announced, then they said it would be WWDC. What's the Deal with apple? I know that iOS is important, but what about computers. If they care so much about their iPhone business, maybe they should get their stick out of their ass and go with verizon. Thats why I don't have one. But this latest move to have no computers at WWDC really scares me. It seems to me that apple is no longer concerned with computers. Please someone ease my fears.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Thoughts?

I think I would turn the G5 into a server, firewire 800 is fast enough and you can always add a PCI GB network card in a G5 I would think, Gigabit ethernet is a few years old now even my PS3 has it.
Then if you really want some power you can get the core i7 iMac or portability get a new MB Pro, the iMac may get a speed bump and GPU bump at some point but otherwise both machines are new enough to not worry about.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Based on nothing but conjecture and wishful thinking:

1. Hexacore Xeons were rumored to be available at the end of June.

They have been available. The issue is more so are they shipping in sufficient volume to guarantee Apple as steady stream of the products with the deliver times they want. It is one thing to "announce" a product and take orders which are always follow with "ships in 5-10 days" and another when want that to say "ships in 24 hours" on a consistent basis.

It also isn't the hexcore that are blatantly missing from Intel's lineup. The "next gen", Westmere being shipped in limited fashion are not all hexcores. There is a mix of quad and hex in the line-up. Intel has not announced quad 3600 series replacements for the 3520 and 3540 (used in the low and mid versions of the single processor package Mac Pros ).

Compare the current line up for the 3600

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?series=48311

to the 5600
http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?series=47915

The first is a very odd looking duck. A whole series that consists of just a lone solitary offering. That doesn't look incomplete ?

If Intel comes out and says they are flushing out the 3600 line up and are fully up to speed on 32nm shipments and then Apple doesn't ship, then that would be strange. Right now, it is not so strange.

2. Judging from WWDC they wan't iPhone front and center for now a

No. It is far more the case that folks are muddling the issues. The common notion that "Mac must ship with phone to show commitment". There is no causal or physical parts relationship between the too.
There were no major new features in Mac OS X. Apple has highlighted 10.6 for the last 2 WWDC events. There is no significant 10.7 to show ( that's reasonable since relatively just shipped 10.6 just little over 6 months ago. Plus all of the iOS updates same division had to get out during that gap. )

Mac Pro should be coupled to WWDC . Mac Pro should be coupled to iPhone. Mac Pro should be coupled to iPad ..... what really motives those rationalizations?? Take a time out and think clearly about why that product should be tightly coupled to any of those. There is no good reason. Much more so, they serve as hand waving causality rationalizations for pulling dates out of thin air.

In contrast, Mac Pro coupled to new version/update of Mac OS X. Now that would actually make sense because ship Mac OS X with every Mac Pro system. They are coupled. If they drop hidden support for new models in can release with some give on the exact date the update drops but they are related. (e.g,. https://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/08/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-6-4-build-10f566-to-developers/)
Would not be surprised to see if new Mac Pro dropped and required 10.6.4 .

If folks critical to the Mac OS X release process were diverted to WWDC then maybe a delay due to that. I suspect they were not though.

iPhone availability a Mac Pro release probably isn't on Apple's immediate radar. Thus this Tuesday the 15th is out.

Folks made similar predictions that postponed new MBPro until after iPad shipments stabilized. Very similar threads proclaiming the sky falling because Core i-mobile procoessors had been released and shipping in limited models by other vendors ( not a fully line updates .... just partial updates) That really didn't work out. MBP shipped on the 13th. even while Apple was still dropping press releases about how magical the iPad was.

Apple is a big company (as much as they want to project otherwise). If they can't walk and chew gum at the same time they have major problems.

Between Janurary and now have gotten

iPad , iPhone

MBP , MacBook , ( some rumors Mac Mini drop soon )

The hype has certainly been different between the two major project lines. However, need to look at what Apple is doing as opposed to what hyperbole are spewing. Yeah Apple is much less likely now to heap major doses of hyperbole on the Mac line up. But is that really necessary?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.