PDA

View Full Version : Skype OS X Beta

MacBytes
Oct 17, 2004, 11:50 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Skype OS X Beta (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041018005044)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

PlaceofDis
Oct 18, 2004, 06:31 AM
anyone here tried this yet? im thinking about giving it a go with my parents, it would be nice just to be able to voice chat with them and not have to worry about using minutes on my cell phone for once...

techgeek
Oct 18, 2004, 09:34 AM
I've had a play with it and it was ok.
Couple of caveats:
I had problems with the Skype store thingy. It wouldn't let me buy minutes in Safari. IE worked ok though.
The built in mic in my iBook screen was useless. I had to hold my head right upto it. An external mic worked ok though. I'm going to buy a proper headset on my way home tonight.
I've only tried it skype->landline so I don't know what the skype->skype is like.

musicpyrite
Oct 18, 2004, 02:04 PM
I've been using this with a PC friend of mine for about a week, and I love it. It sounds crystal clear, better than a normal phone. Easy to use and setup.

Only problems I have with it is that it's a Beta version, and tends to crash every few hours or so. And I wish I could make regular phone calls with it too.

I wish iChat was like this, I'd use it a lot more.

billyboy
Oct 18, 2004, 02:25 PM
Ive had it a few weeks now and if you only launch the app when you want to chat I think it is pretty good - it doesnt crash, just gobbles up cpu in waves, then behaves etc etc, so it is better to use it sparingly. I wouldnt leave it on 24/7 as an alternative to a normal phone set up - yet. I put on headphones and chat into the internal mic on y PB and pretty much it works. Im calling landlines all over the world with it and am happy. They are supposed to be working on a USB handset phone, so that will be next on my list of things to try.

Nermal
Oct 18, 2004, 06:56 PM
I chatted with my cousin on it a few weeks ago. It was a one-way chat though, because I don't have a mic. He only has dialup and it still sounded all right :)