Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
all duals!! excellent!
I see a 1ghz or 933 mhz in my future!

does this include DDR ram?

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Oh boy

Some people are gonna go to Wintel after threatening to do so if Apple doesn't come up with near 2 GHz CPUs across the board.

Dual 867 MHz? Why not 933? Is there some quirk with 933 in duals or something?

That makes the whole thing fishy IMHO.

Horne

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
All dual?

Basically no-one has a clue, SJ has done an amazing job in this day and age at concealing what's coming out.
God, our politicians can't keep sleaze from getting out, and nobody even cares about that.
I think somewhere in the middle of the 2 stories tonight, maybe 1.4 dual for top end.
I really want ddr though.....

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
1.25Ghz?

What's that: 166Mhz x 7.5 bus? Or am I missing something.

BTW, 1.25Ghz tops? Very disappointing. A killer mobo architecture is the only possibility for any sort of 'saving grace' at this point in time.

I'm not impressed with these new 'aggressive' pricing either - as promised during the financial stream. Way over-priced as usual.

jesyjames

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2002

My guess for the 867 vs 933 is because who is going to pay the extra cash for the duel gig when the speed difference is roughly 60 mhz? Do the math and 120 mhz isn't that much of a difference either, though. There maybe other things to entice you to it in the configuration..

This is kind of disappointing, but seems firmly grounded in reality. I just can't justify spending upwards of two grand on a 1.2 ghz mac when the windows world has intel set to release their 3.0 ghz p4 and athlon has the clawhammer coming.

I currently own both a mac(g4/466) and pc (amd xp1600+). I've been waiting forever to upgrade the mac but at this nominal mhz bump it seems kind of silly. Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow for the real story on Apple's website.

Titian

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2002
Switzerland
Poor Apple...
For the next 6 months they might as well close down the sales department.

Oh, maybe not:
in the last years they have so well trained (or brain washed) the mac customers that these all will think they have the best of the best and would go lining up the next morning in front of the mac stores waiting to buy one of these "boxes".
Well done Apple, maybe your customers don't deserve anything better...
:D

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
At least the rumored specs aren't la-la-land rosy. 1.25ghz implies a 166mhz FSB (166.67 x 7.5) because it cannot be achieved on a 133mhz FSB.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
it might not sound very impressive, but hey, they are cheaper and for most of my cpu intesive tasks (rendering graphics), multithreading works quite nicely...the high end model would be close to a 2.5ghz G4...;)

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
from the article at MacMinute:
The dual-867MHz configuration is slated to ship by the end of the week, while the new dual-1GHz model will ship towards the end of the month. Availability of the high-end dual-1.25GHz model is being pegged at sometime in September.

Why does it take so long to ship a stinking dual 1GHz? We've had these since January. Pete's sake. Get the high end out first (like Apple did with the iMac G4 in January). Why peddle the low-end first?

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Interesting.

Looks like Apple is back (roughly) to their standard price spread ($1700/2500/3300). As much as I wish the top-end was staying at $3K, it makes sense. I wonder what extras the top-end Mac will have over the midrange. It would be hard to justify $800 just for 2x250MHz. Might be a better video card. (RAM and HD are nearly free.) Or who knows, maybe some surprises.

I hope this time Apple goes to, and stays with, dual processors on Pro Macs. The last time they did nearly this it was because they couldn't come up with faster processors. Don't know if this is the case here.

With OS X, they could almost advertise these at their doubled speed up to 2.5GHz PowerMacs).

We shall see.

ultranoia

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Apple Falters

Well, if these are the actual specs, Apple has definitely stumbled. And they couldn't have this unimpressively incremental PowerMac refresh ready a month ago at MWNY? Ouch.

If this new lineup features that lame enclosure that's been making the rumor rounds, I'll be even more disappointed. Not only are the guts disappointing, it seems as if the Apple design department has been taken over by hack photoshop rasterbators -- because that new enclosure pic sure looked amateurish.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Content Creation

If you're doing heavy graphics having even the entry level machine a dually is a great thing. I agree the hi end box doesn't sound impressive for $3300 clams but I can't argue too much about the entry level and midrange.

I personally don't give a shiza what Intel is at and personally i'm tired of hearing about them. Intel based machines don't run OS X or Final Cut Pro. End of story.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by digitalvideo
Maybe Apple is purposely seeding false rumors so that they can unleash a really big surprise tomorrow?

Hey, that's my line :p With Apple, it's always some sort of conspiracy :cool:

You should see my theory on how Jobs pronounces "Jaguar" as "Jag-wire"

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
DUDE these are the old moto processors also with the 7 stage pipeline anD!!!! OMFG DUALS FOR $1,699!!! OMFG!!!! WITH DDR!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!! THATS 1337, dude those systems would wip 2ghzPIVs, a dual 1.25 woudl WIP a 3ghz especially if it had 333mhz memory!!!!!!! w00t for apple!!!

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: Content Creation

Originally posted by nuckinfutz
I personally don't give a shiza what Intel is at and personally i'm tired of hearing about them. Intel based machines don't run OS X or Final Cut Pro. End of story.

you're my new hero.

amen to that.

you're going in my sig for that quote.. that's the best reason for whiners to shut up EVER

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.