PDA

View Full Version : Using US iPad in Canada

Matt Phoenix
Jun 12, 2010, 09:15 PM
I live in the US, but a couple times a year, I make a trip to Canada (usually to Toronto). The last time I was there, I used Skype to call back home. Unfortunately, the last hotel I was at did not have free Wifi, so I had to use the Wifi at a local coffee shop in order to use Skype.

Now, I want to get an iPad. Originally, I intended to get the basic 16gb one for $499. However, I was wondering: For these international trips, is it possible to use my US iPad over there and connect to the Rogers 3G network for the month? If I did this, what are the necessary steps? Would I need a different sim card? If it were rather easy to use my US iPad over there, it would totally justify the purchase of a 3G iPad. Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

kdesign7
Jun 12, 2010, 09:31 PM
I live in the US, but a couple times a year, I make a trip to Canada (usually to Toronto). The last time I was there, I used Skype to call back home. Unfortunately, the last hotel I was at did not have free Wifi, so I had to use the Wifi at a local coffee shop in order to use Skype.

Now, I want to get an iPad. Originally, I intended to get the basic 16gb one for $499. However, I was wondering: For these international trips, is it possible to use my US iPad over there and connect to the Rogers 3G network for the month? If I did this, what are the necessary steps? Would I need a different sim card? If it were rather easy to use my US iPad over there, it would totally justify the purchase of a 3G iPad. Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Yes, absolutely, You will need a Rogers Sim Card, which are easily obtainable.

You will then activate your service on the iPad, as you do with A&T. You enter your cc information and such.

If you choose Bell, you will need to contact them via the 1-800 number on the inside folio-case which the Micro-Sim card comes in. Unfortunately, there is no on-device activation.

As with Telus, I am unsure about the methods being used to activate the service, or their data plans.

Rogers and Bell offer the same plans, at the same price.

250MB - $15 (plus tax)
5GB - $35 (plus tax)

Bell does offer free service of their MobileTV App until the end of August. It's for the iPhone, so it needs to be scaled up. It gives u about 10 channels to stream to your device, but it will use your 3G bandwidth to consume the information

*** BUT THERE IS A TRICK - JB is sorta needed ***

Connect to your 3G network. Open the BellMobileTV App, so that it can identify that your a BELL customer (hence being on 3G).

Once the App passes and then shows you the LIST Of channels to watch.

Enable the App to be in the background.

Convert your connection from 3G, to WiFi, by turning off the 3G then connecting to a known WiFi network.

Then go back to BellMobileTV App, and voila, click a channel and then you'll be using your WiFi and saving your 3G.

Voila.

superflush
Jun 13, 2010, 02:11 AM
You would need a Canadian Micro-SIM card.

And you would need to make sure that you could get a plan for one month without a contract.

GDF
Jun 13, 2010, 07:19 AM
Can you activate Rogers via the iPad like AT&T? It looks like you do not need a contract, similar to AT&T. I am heading to the Rice Lake area, which is by Harwood. It looks like Rogers has the best coverage in that area.

Matt Phoenix
Jun 13, 2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the help everybody!

So how exactly would I obtain a sim card? I've been a Verizon customer for many years, so I know nothing about sim cards.

owzer
Jun 13, 2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the help everybody!

So how exactly would I obtain a sim card? I've been a Verizon customer for many years, so I know nothing about sim cards.

Google to find the closest Roger's retailer.
Futureshop & Bestbuy stores will also carry them.

maestrokev
Jun 14, 2010, 12:05 AM
Cdn Apple Stores will give you a Rogers or Bell microSIM for free. Any other stores will sell them to you for $15.

maestrokev
Jun 14, 2010, 12:08 AM
Can you activate Rogers via the iPad like AT&T? It looks like you do not need a contract, similar to AT&T. I am heading to the Rice Lake area, which is by Harwood. It looks like Rogers has the best coverage in that area.

Rogers can be activated on the iPad, Bell said they'll release the same functionality later this month - for now, have to phone them.

I wonder if any non-Cdns have activated their Rogers or Bell plans, does it require a Canadian credit card? I wouldn't know since I have a Cdn credit card.

Madmic23
Jun 14, 2010, 05:49 AM

Where a bouts are you going in the Rice Lake area? I'm just curious because that's where I'm from! Rogers has really good reception out there, but depending on where you are Bell also gets the job done.

GDF
Jun 14, 2010, 07:36 AM
That is funny! We love that area - my family has gone there for years. We go to Tam-Bir Cottages in Harwood. So, you recommend going with Rogers for that area? Thanks for the help.

Where a bouts are you going in the Rice Lake area? I'm just curious because that's where I'm from! Rogers has really good reception out there, but depending on where you are Bell also gets the job done.

JamSandwich
Jun 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
My nagging question (and one I'd like to see answered at least semi-definitively) about international travel is whether you need a computer to sync to iTunes with a different brand of sim. Sounds like a "probably" right now, which sort of spoils things for me, because part of the appeal would not be toting my laptop with me.

Trying to decide on WiFi or WiFi+3G right now and really not sure...

silverblack
Jun 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
My nagging question (and one I'd like to see answered at least semi-definitively) about international travel is whether you need a computer to sync to iTunes with a different brand of sim. Sounds like a "probably" right now, which sort of spoils things for me, because part of the appeal would not be toting my laptop with me.

Trying to decide on WiFi or WiFi+3G right now and really not sure...

For Canada (with Rogers), you DEFINITELY need your computer. I purchased my iPad without picking up a microsim. Traveled to Toronto, stopped by Apple store and got my free Rogers sim. Popped it in, and I was greeted with the message asking me to sync with my computer. This was apparently needed for the iPad to download carrier-specific files needed for the 3G data activation. It's completely non-sense to me (you need to already have access to the internet, before you can buy your access to the internet), but that's the way it is.

GDF
Jun 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
Really - if true, that makes no sense. In the US, on AT&T, I did not have to synch with my computer to activate 3G. Just signed up via the iPad. If that is the case, so much for bringing the iPad to Canada on vacation.

For Canada (with Rogers), you DEFINITELY need your computer. I purchased my iPad without picking up a microsim. Traveled to Toronto, stopped by Apple store and got my free Rogers sim. Popped it in, and I was greeted with the message asking me to sync with my computer. This was apparently needed for the iPad to download carrier-specific files needed for the 3G data activation. It's completely non-sense to me (you need to already have access to the internet, before you can buy your access to the internet), but that's the way it is.

MacModMachine
Jun 14, 2010, 08:11 PM
Really - if true, that makes no sense. In the US, on AT&T, I did not have to synch with my computer to activate 3G. Just signed up via the iPad. If that is the case, so much for bringing the iPad to Canada on vacation.

this only has to be done once....and can be done on any machine with itunes.

not really a big deal.

same with AT & T in the us...i had to do the same coming from canada.

silverblack
Jun 14, 2010, 08:24 PM

That's because ATT is the only 3G provide in the US, and so the sim and the setting are already installed in ipads out of the box. In Canada, there are three 3G providers. We select one when we bought the iPad, hence the syncing depending on which sim you installed.

If the canadian city you visit has an apple store, pick up your free sim there and ask them to activate it for you, perhaps even make an appointment with the genie bar for this.

maestrokev
Jun 14, 2010, 11:08 PM
If you don't have the chance to download the latest carrier settings with iTunes you can manually enter into the iPad. It's just the updated APN.

GDF
Jun 15, 2010, 06:52 AM
Where would you get the latest carrier settings for Rogers at? My problem is that I will not be taking my laptop to Canada and was just going to use the iPad. So, if I can just manually add the settings. That would be great!

If you don't have the chance to download the latest carrier settings with iTunes you can manually enter into the iPad. It's just the updated APN.

MikeNemat
Jun 15, 2010, 10:55 AM
The apn is rogers-core-appl1.apn, no username or password needed. That's all there is to it. Enjoy.

notjustjay
Jun 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
Micro sims from Future Shop or Best Buy are $9.99. As for the carrier update, the store can do it from their computer running iTunes. I walked into a Best Buy with my iPad, they set me up with Telus and I was connecting over 3G before I walked out of the store.

maestrokev
Jun 15, 2010, 10:32 PM
pda2.bell.ca

silverblack
Jun 16, 2010, 10:01 PM
I, on the other hand, am traveling to the US with my Canadian iPad. Wouldn't it be ideal if we can somehow buy each other a sim...

rlivingston
Aug 30, 2010, 12:13 PM
Rogers can be activated on the iPad, Bell said they'll release the same functionality later this month - for now, have to phone them.

I wonder if any non-Cdns have activated their Rogers or Bell plans, does it require a Canadian credit card? I wouldn't know since I have a Cdn credit card.

I went to Canada last month. I went to an Apple store in Vancouver BC where they were incredibly helpful. I got a free Rogers SIM card.

But I failed to get the data plan. You had to enter credit card info and it would NOT accept a non-Canadian address for the billing info. Therefore, I could not get a data plan. I went to the Rogers store in the same mall and the woman there said she knew nothing about iPads and could not help.

The Apple guy spent a LOT of time trying to call humans at Rogers to see what to do but no way around the problem was found.

So they pulled out a Bell SIM card. At that time, you signed up with Bell over the phone. They asked for a Canadian address and I gave them the address of my mothers summer house in Canada and that did it. It was NOT the billing address of my U.S. Visa card but they did not object to this. Got a month of Canadian data.

Now, Bell has gone to a sign up on line process rather than by phone. I do not know if that means that it will now not allow a non-Canadian Visa billing address. I would like to hear people's experience.

I was happy with the Bell service. As a traveller you have to be careful to "unsign" up so that they do not automatically sign you up for the next month when it rolls around. This is a nuisance. You cannot upfront sign up for JUST on month. You have to go back, once the service is activated, to say that you do NOT want the next month service.

This all took 2.3 hours in the Apple store. This guy stuck with me until it worked. The best customer service that I have ever gotten and the product was Rogers/Bell not Apple (at least directly)

The iPad is a GREAT tool for travel once you get over this hurdle.

b.c.
Aug 30, 2010, 12:57 PM

I have both a Rogers microSIM card for use at home, and an AT&T one for travel to US. My iPad was purchased in Canada, and when I recently visited the US, I just plugged in the AT&T card and signed up for the service without changing any APN setting

I find that when I insert either sim card, the APN setting gets magically set to the appropriate one. I never manually entered either one.

SarahCatt
Aug 31, 2010, 12:51 AM
I have an iPad 3G in the U.S. I am in Montreal today and I picked up a Bell Canada SIM card. All good until I tried to sign up for service and the carrier setup does not accept a U.S. State in place of a province.

I'm willing to buy duplicate data service in Canada, or prepaid or something other than a second iPad. I don't want Internet TV or straming audio or video...I just want emails and Google when I'm in Canada and that appears impossible. I have a Canada voice and texting plan for each of my iPhones but I'd like to use my iPad for things like finding restaurants and directions. My TomTom is better at finding addresses so I really need a search engine.

I'm a low bandwidth user and I'm willing to pay. The Apple Store in Montreal thought my US address would work for service, so I believed them and left wit mu SIM card. They were wrong and I am not sure where to go with this. The Bell CA and Rogers sites have been no help and all the iPad posts about Canada are mostly about people wanting MLB in HD for pennies or something absurd like that.

GVWR
Aug 31, 2010, 12:56 AM
So does Rogers require a Canadian credit card?
A Canadian billing address?

SarahCatt
Aug 31, 2010, 01:07 AM
So does Rogers require a Canadian credit card?
A Canadian billing address?

I assume so from the other data I've seen. The Apple Store in Montreal seemed to know that THIS (Bell SIM) would work but they were wrong. They gave me a choice of either carrier and I picked Bell because my iPhone was roaming on Bell CA at that time. I'm at a loss for accurate information. I'm not a Canadian and I'd just like to spend tons of money here and enjoy my vacation.

b.c.
Aug 31, 2010, 02:28 AM
Sounds like people are having similar problem as we Canadians trying to sign up with AT&T when visiting the US...

ie on-iPad signup failing with foreign address and/or credit card. Or even just a dumb form that doesn't accept a foreign style postal/zip code.

Search the forum for several recent threads on visitors to US.

The solution I've confirmed in my travels is to use a prepaid Visa gift card (it has no name or billing address associated which might fail authentication) and use your hotel for billing address. That worked for me visiting US - maybe same will work here in Canada. Also, apparently Amex cards don't suffer the authentication failure, that might be worth a try if you have one

Madmic23
Aug 31, 2010, 05:55 AM
Use the address of the place your staying in Canada. Oddly enough, the address younenter doesn't have to be the same as the address on your credit card.

When I was in the US, I used my Canadian American Express card with the address of the place I was staying in Florida. Worked no problem.

Give it a try.

IvanHutchins
Aug 31, 2010, 06:03 AM
that makes no sense. In the US, on AT&T, I did not have to synch with my computer to activate 3G.

b.c.
Aug 31, 2010, 09:25 AM
Use the address of the place your staying in Canada. Oddly enough, the address younenter doesn't have to be the same as the address on your credit card.

When I was in the US, I used my Canadian American Express card with the address of the place I was staying in Florida. Worked no problem.

based on other users' reports visiting US, it seems like no problems using foreign Amex with a different address than your own during signup, whereas other cards e.g. Visa have a problem with the incorrect billing address. so it seems to be card dependent, but Amex is probably the way to go if you have one.

SarahCatt
Aug 31, 2010, 09:24 PM
Went to a Bell CA retail store in MTL today and signed up for an account with my US VISA and the address and voice phone number of the Bell Store. The result? I now have and account with Bell CA but I cannot select a data plan.

The Bell person at the store talked to their Tech people and they said that I was required to contact their support to complete the acquisition of a data plan. Yes, I know this makes no sense but wireless marketing makes no sense. I guess I'm going to give up on cellular data when I'm in Canada and use WiFi hotspots when available.

The politics of wireless data have turned me off and I just don't care anymore.

Thanks for all suggestions and input, but it's clearly not worth the hassle.

flynz4
Sep 4, 2010, 03:18 PM
that makes no sense. In the US, on AT&T, I did not have to synch with my computer to activate 3G.

As I understand, AT&T is one of the few pre-loaded APNs pre-loaded in the iPad. Hence, you do not need to activate an AT&T SIM.

We were in Vancouver BC last week, and the Apple Store (Pacific Center) provided me with a Rogers SIM. They took my iPhone from me and activated on their computer as a courtesy.

I found the same problem as others had reported in not being able to enter my credit card data because I could not enter a US address. The Rogers subscription page only lets you choose provinces, and hence you cannot enter a US address. I didn't bother signing up since I had WiFi available in our room.

We are going back up to Canada in a couple of weeks, but my daughter (a new grad student at UBC) should have a Canadian credit card by then, so I will be all set. Since I pay her bills... she can't complain about me making a charge on her credit card.

/Jim

flynz4
Sep 4, 2010, 03:30 PM
I have a follow-on question. While at the Apple Store in Vancouver last week, I picked up a 2nd SIM card for a friend who also has an iPad 3G who will be with us on our next trip to Canada. As I said in the previous post... the Apple store initialized the SIM for me... so I am not 100% sure of the initialization procedure.

What exactly do I have my friend do to initialize her Rogers SIM on her iPad? She will be bringing her iPad to Canada... but not her computer. I *THINK* she just needs to insert the SIM card, connect the iPad to iTunes, and right click on the iPad name and check for updates. Is that it?

/Jim

SarahCatt
Sep 5, 2010, 03:03 AM
I stopped at a Rogers mall kiosk in a city in Ontario and the inhabitants gave me a Rogers SIM card for my iPad. I never installed it because my AT&T service was in range again, once I was approaching the international border to Michigan.

I've got three SIM cards and here is the detailed status:

- AT&T: Have active account, works fine when in AT&T service areas
- Bell CA: Have active account (with the address of a Bell CA store in Montreal), can't choose a data service
- Rogers: SIM is still in its package but perhaps I will roll the magical, mystical, silly, fish-out-of-water-in-Canada, 3G iPad dice when I return to Montreal for my extended vacation in October.

I discovered that my employer-supplied Verizon Blackberry works fine in Canada, both for data and voice but the network on which its operating is unknown. I still have my old Verizon MiFi-like portable hotspot and I could possibly activate it somewhere in Canada and use that with my Macbook Pros and my iPad when I'm out and about. With all the surplus wireless communications junk I have, maybe something will work in Canada.

It would be <sigh> really nice if I could just use my iPad on any 3G service in Canada...after all, it does have the GSM radio in it and that would be a very elegant solution.

Current score:

Politics 1
Technology 0

Now, if I could only enroll my dog at McGill and get him a Canadian VISA card. :rolleyes:

SarahCatt
Sep 5, 2010, 03:06 AM
I have a follow-on question. While at the Apple Store in Vancouver last week, I picked up a 2nd SIM card for a friend who also has an iPad 3G who will be with us on our next trip to Canada. As I said in the previous post... the Apple store initialized the SIM for me... so I am not 100% sure of the initialization procedure.

What exactly do I have my friend do to initialize her Rogers SIM on her iPad? She will be bringing her iPad to Canada... but not her computer. I *THINK* she just needs to insert the SIM card, connect the iPad to iTunes, and right click on the iPad name and check for updates. Is that it?

/Jim

That even worked :D for me with my Bell CA card. I just don't have any data service under my account at the purloined Montreal address. :o

flynz4
Sep 5, 2010, 01:34 PM
I stopped at a Rogers mall kiosk in a city in Ontario and the inhabitants gave me a Rogers SIM card for my iPad. I never installed it because my AT&T service was in range again, once I was approaching the international border to Michigan.

I've got three SIM cards and here is the detailed status:

- AT&T: Have active account, works fine when in AT&T service areas
- Bell CA: Have active account (with the address of a Bell CA store in Montreal), can't choose a data service
- Rogers: SIM is still in its package but perhaps I will roll the magical, mystical, silly, fish-out-of-water-in-Canada, 3G iPad dice when I return to Montreal for my extended vacation in October.

I discovered that my employer-supplied Verizon Blackberry works fine in Canada, both for data and voice but the network on which its operating is unknown. I still have my old Verizon MiFi-like portable hotspot and I could possibly activate it somewhere in Canada and use that with my Macbook Pros and my iPad when I'm out and about. With all the surplus wireless communications junk I have, maybe something will work in Canada.

It would be <sigh> really nice if I could just use my iPad on any 3G service in Canada...after all, it does have the GSM radio in it and that would be a very elegant solution.

Current score:

Politics 1
Technology 0

Now, if I could only enroll my dog at McGill and get him a Canadian VISA card. :rolleyes:

SarahCatt,

Regarding the sections in bold above:

1) Your Bell SIM: I suspect that the only reason you cannot get a dataplan on the card is because you do not have a Canadian address? Do you have any friends in Canada who will let you charge service to their card/address? Alternately, I wonder if buying a pre-paid canadian visa gift card will work. This is a trick that seems to work for people visiting the US and need a local credit card to enroll in data.

2) Blackberry data/voice plans: Be careful as you may find out that you are paying outrageous rates when roaming out of the US. I had an employee who used his Sprint phone with his PC as a tethered modem during a trip to France... just to check his email. He came home to find a $4000 phone bill. Blackberry users generally use much less data than iPhones... but still... you want to be careful.

3) Verizon MiFi: I called Verizion to see if I could get international roaming added to my MiFi. I was told that I could add it for $129/month, but that it would be prorated for partial month usage. So, according to the rep I talked with, If I went on a 1 week trip and enabled Canadian roaming just during just the week, that the approximate extra cost would be $35 for the week. Of course, you would need to remember to turn it off on your return... and secondly... information from the phone clerks is often sketchy and wrong. Anyway... this is something that you may want to pursue.

/Jim

SarahCatt
Sep 6, 2010, 12:23 AM
SarahCatt,

Regarding the sections in bold above:

1) Your Bell SIM: I suspect that the only reason you cannot get a dataplan on the card is because you do not have a Canadian address? Do you have any friends in Canada who will let you charge service to their card/address? Alternately, I wonder if buying a pre-paid canadian visa gift card will work. This is a trick that seems to work for people visiting the US and need a local credit card to enroll in data.

Oh, if you read carefully, you will see that I 'have' a Canadian address (the Bell CA store) and that's the only reason I have an account. The clerk had their Technical Services on the phone while I was there signing up for an account on line at the store. I don't have much faith in the people in the store or their tech people, but since I don't work there, I have little choice.

2) Blackberry data/voice plans: Be careful as you may find out that you are paying outrageous rates when roaming out of the US. I had an employee who used his Sprint phone with his PC as a tethered modem during a trip to France... just to check his email. He came home to find a $4000 phone bill. Blackberry users generally use much less data than iPhones... but still... you want to be careful.

I have no interest in tethering because the costs are usually horrid due to the abuse that people streaming audio and video engage in. Bandwidth is expensive and I have always used a dedicated data device when I've done this in the past. The new video over Internet devices don't make much sense to me because they depend upon most people not using them much. There just isn't enough capacity for very many simultaneous video users. It's just playing the odds for the companies. With regard to the BB, my company has an enterprise agreement with Verizon (and we have outlets in Canada) and we get very low bulk rates. We also pay nothing for phones or Blackberries, so the cost for that is negligible since I will be available to work while in Canada.

3) Verizon MiFi: I called Verizion to see if I could get international roaming added to my MiFi. I was told that I could add it for $129/month, but that it would be prorated for partial month usage. So, according to the rep I talked with, If I went on a 1 week trip and enabled Canadian roaming just during just the week, that the approximate extra cost would be $35 for the week. Of course, you would need to remember to turn it off on your return... and secondly... information from the phone clerks is often sketchy and wrong. Anyway... this is something that you may want to pursue.

I don't use my MiFi anymore. It's just sitting around unactivated. I was considering 'borrowing' the address of my rental in Montreal and activating it in Canada (assuming it would be supported by one of the carriers there, which is probably not the case).

What a mess!

/Jim

Oh well.

AbeMajor
Sep 6, 2010, 12:42 AM
US chargers will overheat in the UK, they use 110v & the UK power supply is 240v - you will need a UK charger..

flynz4
Sep 6, 2010, 01:26 AM
Oh, if you read carefully, you will see that I 'have' a Canadian address (the Bell CA store) and that's the only reason I have an account. The clerk had their Technical Services on the phone while I was there signing up for an account on line at the store. I don't have much faith in the people in the store or their tech people, but since I don't work there, I have little choice.

When I picked up my Canadian SIM at the Apple store in Vancouver, I asked which carrier they recommended for the area in which I would be traveling. I was told that Rogers and Bell were both good, but that Bell required a call to their offices in order to activate the plan. Possibly that is the issue you are having? In any case, I choose Rogers, largely because they said service can be completely set up from the device.

I never tried using a local address with my US credit card. I now have a suspicion that it would work OK. I would love to hear a report of someone activating their account and data plan on Rogers using a US credit card, and a local address that differs from their billing address.

/Jim

SarahCatt
Sep 6, 2010, 02:09 AM
When I picked up my Canadian SIM at the Apple store in Vancouver, I asked which carrier they recommended for the area in which I would be traveling. I was told that Rogers and Bell were both good, but that Bell required a call to their offices in order to activate the plan. Possibly that is the issue you are having? In any case, I choose Rogers, largely because they said service can be completely set up from the device.

I never tried using a local address with my US credit card. I now have a suspicion that it would work OK. I would love to hear a report of someone activating their account and data plan on Rogers using a US credit card, and a local address that differs from their billing address.

/Jim

Wow, thanks, Jim. When I am back in Montreal next month, I'm going to try registering for an account with my Rogers SIM card, my U.S. credit card, my Laval, QC temporary address, and I'll post the results to this thread. :D

flynz4
Sep 6, 2010, 08:47 PM
Wow, thanks, Jim. When I am back in Montreal next month, I'm going to try registering for an account with my Rogers SIM card, my U.S. credit card, my Laval, QC temporary address, and I'll post the results to this thread. :D

SarahCatt,

You will need to attach the iPad w/Rogers SIM to your computer to update the settings on the iPad. They did this for me at the Apple store in Vancouver. I am told that you only need to do this once... and thereafter, you can switch between your ATT and Rogers SIM cards without re-attaching to the computer.

/Jim

SarahCatt
Sep 7, 2010, 12:36 AM
SarahCatt,

You will need to attach the iPad w/Rogers SIM to your computer to update the settings on the iPad. They did this for me at the Apple store in Vancouver. I am told that you only need to do this once... and thereafter, you can switch between your ATT and Rogers SIM cards without re-attaching to the computer.

/Jim

Thanks. I'm aware of the need to sync with iTunes the first time the new carrier's SIM is used. It was required when I installed the Bell CA SIM card and when I re-installed the AT&T SIM, it was not necessary. I believe the info is stored In the SIM card's memory.

rlivingston
Sep 15, 2010, 09:53 PM
I have spent literally hours on this issue. For two months I actually was getting service from Bell paid for by my US VISA card.

Now they both require a VISA card with a matching Canadian billing address. Bell will no longer allow me to continue with their service because I cannot renew it. The only way to renew is now on line (before it was done over the phone) and on line they do not permit US VISA cards.

As I say, I have spent hours on this because it is very important to me. I spent 2-3 hours in the Vancouver BC Apple store with a VERY helpful employee trying to deal with Rogers to no avail. He finally set me up with Bell but that solution was short-lived.

SarahCatt
Sep 15, 2010, 11:26 PM
Wow...what a mess! There now appears little to no hope for an iPad user from outside Canada being able to use their iPad IN Canada!

I'd pay for a year of service in advance just to use it when I am in Canada during that year. However, if your experience is the norm, then even if I were to buy another iPad 3G in Canada, I wouldn't be able to use ANY 3G cellular data service in Canada. Well, unless I essentially become a permanent resident of Canada and have a credit card there.

Did I say "wow"?

I'll just go to the ministry in charge of Canadian immigration and ask for permanent residence due to the hardship of not being able to acquire cellular data service for my iPad. I'm sure that will work...right.

b.c.
Sep 16, 2010, 10:57 AM
Wow...what a mess! There now appears little to no hope for an iPad user from outside Canada being able to use their iPad IN Canada!

Q to those of you still having problems signing up for data:
have you tried using a prepaid Visa gift card issued in Canada?

that was the solution I used successfully for the inverse case (Canadian iPad used in US: Cdn Visa card - no good / prepaid US Visa + hotel address - OK)

rlivingston
Sep 16, 2010, 07:54 PM
We are now in Vancouver BC. We bought a prepaid card and put $100 on it. We went to the Apple store and got a Rogers SIM. We were able to enter all the data. It said we will notify you when activation occurs.

Then after 30 minutes it said failed. We are still trying with the aid of the Apple employees who unbelievably helpful.

The saga continues

rlivingston
Sep 16, 2010, 08:09 PM
One thing to think about is that if this works it makes sense to get a refillable pre-paid VISA card. We got one that we cannot refill so after a couple months if this works we will have to do something to "change" our VISA card because our card will run out of money. I hope that that is not too hard. But if you go to Canada frequently you might get a prePaid REFILLABLE VISA card.

We are still waiting to actually see if we can get data over the cell tower to the iPad. That has not yet occurred.

Now getting a message that your credit card financial institution has not approved this purchase...

Now we are working on that.

rlivingston
Sep 16, 2010, 11:14 PM
Bought a prepaid VISA gift card. Needed cash and two pieces of ID. Went to Royal Bank of Canada for this. Got a non reload able card but since we go to Canada often probably should have gotten a reload able one.

Then went to Vancouver Apple store and spent three hours with the incredibly helpful Apple people. Great store.

First actually tried the Bell store. They did not even know they supported the iPad.

Went to the Apple store and first "registered" the VISA card using the Canadian address of a summer house.

So in the Apple store first tried Rogers. This ultimately unsuccessful. We would wait for a long time and then the message would come back Activation failed. Did this repeatedly. Finally a message came up saying that financial institution had rejected our purchase.

Then tried Bell. Put another SIM card in and filled out all the forms. We used the same Canadian address. This time success.

1. We succeeded with a prepaid VISA card
2. We had success with Bell and not Rogers
3. The Apple store provides the best retail experience I have ever had.

SarahCatt
Sep 16, 2010, 11:25 PM
At the risk of seeming prematurely optimistic, that does seem hopeful. I have my Montreal address and even land line phone now, so if the prepaid thing works, I should be able to duplicate your experience.

I don't see why the carrier would care if the card is a prepaid VISA or not. Many people overrun their credit limits on conventional credit cards or run low on funds for a debit card. The debit card that I use for my AT&T 3G cellular data account did not go through because the checking account balance was too low and since it was on Labor Day, the bank wasn't open and I couldn't transfer the funds into that account. I just changed the credit card to another one through the online signup in "Settings", so that presumably would not be a problem if you switch cards.

Also, it might be worth wondering why the carriers would care about the credit/debit card details since they charge each month in full in advance. They really can't lose since if the card ever fails then they can cut off the service. You can't 'run up a bill' because either the account is 'unlimited' or they can also cut you off if you exceed your 250 MB, 2 GB, or 5 GB data usage (depending upon the terms of your plan).

Let's keep the dialogue going until we have a solution or we run out of options. If we find that there is no way to use cellular data in a country in which you are not resident, the :apple: iPad doesn't make as much sense as an :apple: iPhone for the international traveler. At least with a 'locked' :apple: iPhone, you can roam in many countries at a somewhat reasonable rate.

BREAKING NEWS: So, Bell really works? Great, I have a Bell SIM card, too, so when I go to Montreal in three weeks, I'll get a prepaid CDN VISA card and use my Montreal apartment address and I guess that should work. I have a Bell account from my experience two weeks ago, but I never was able to select a data plan. I hope I can revise my Bell account data. Based upon your success, I will probably go back to the :apple: Store in Montreal (which is where I got the Bell SIM) and seek their help.

flynz4
Sep 17, 2010, 10:36 AM
Success!!!

We just arrived in BC yesterday. On two iPads, we inserted the Rogers SIM cards I got from The Apple store last month. We had already attached them to iTunes to initialize them. Once we arrived into Canada, we entered a Canadian mailing address of a friend, and we both used different US credit cards. We activated OK and I am posting this from my iPad while in Canada.

/Jim

flynz4
Sep 25, 2010, 01:38 AM
Success!!!

We just arrived in BC yesterday. On two iPads, we inserted the Rogers SIM cards I got from The Apple store last month. We had already attached them to iTunes to initialize them. Once we arrived into Canada, we entered a Canadian mailing address of a friend, and we both used different US credit cards. We activated OK and I am posting this from my iPad while in Canada.

/Jim

We are back in the US now. Both of our iPads worked flawlessly during the 7 day trip. We each used about 600 MB of data.

At the border on the way home, we switched back to our A&TT SIM cards and we connected right away to the AT&T network.

It looks like I am all set now for my somewhat frequent trips to Canada.

/Jim

SarahCatt
Sep 26, 2010, 01:56 AM
Great! Thanks, Jim! I have my Canadian wireless carrier SIM card collection in my iPad survival kit and as soon as we touch down in Montreal, I'll try the Rogers SIM first. I'll use the address of my apartment in Laval and my funky U.S. VISA card and perhaps it will work as smoothly as did yours.

Whatever happens, I'll certainly post it here. I should be in Montreal on October 5th. I appreciate all of the information sharing! :p

samoran
Oct 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
Ok, I arrived in Vancouver from Australia and was staying at a local hotel. I did the following steps, and it worked! First of all, I went to a Bell store and they told me that for some reason they don't sell the prepaid iPad micro-sims. Just the monthly ones (weird!?). So they told me that I had to get it from Futureshop. So....

1. Went to Futureshop and purchased a prepaid iPad micro-sim. Cost me $11 (inc tax)
2. Bought a VISA gift card from 7-11 store.
3. Put the micro-sim in the iPad
4. Plugged in my iPad to my laptop and (after updating my iPad firmware), it asked me if I wanted to update my carrier settings. Clicked on Download and Install.
5. Ejected the iPad from iTunes and turned it off/on.
6. Goto Settings > Cellular Data > View Account
7. Billing Page comes up. Filled out all details. For the address, I simply used the street address of the hotel I was staying at. For the Name on the Visa Gift Card I just used my own name.
8. Success!!!

It worked for me, so it should also work for any other traveller to Canada with an overseas iPad.

All the best....

SarahCatt
Oct 12, 2010, 05:38 AM
From The Apple Stores in Montreal/Laval:

Bell - No (have not tried since September trip)
Rogers - No (activation failed)
Telus - No (person at store called Tech Support and she asked me if the iPad was bought in the US so that brought a response that it wouldn't work, along with Je suis trés désole)

I am not sure about this 'prepaid SIM' from The Future Shop or whether it is different from the Bell SIM card I got for free at The Apple Store, but I never tried the prepaid VISA card from Canada. I tried a gift VISA from the US and regular VISA credit cards from the US...all with the address of my apartment in Laval. No 3G so far.

Should I just throw away my iPad and buy another?:cool:

flynz4
Oct 12, 2010, 02:16 PM
From The Apple Stores in Montreal/Laval:

Bell - No (have not tried since September trip)
Rogers - No (activation failed)
Telus - No (person at store called Tech Support and she asked me if the iPad was bought in the US so that brought a response that it wouldn't work, along with Je suis trés désole)

I am not sure about this 'prepaid SIM' from The Future Shop or whether it is different from the Bell SIM card I got for free at The Apple Store, but I never tried the prepaid VISA card from Canada. I tried a gift VISA from the US and regular VISA credit cards from the US...all with the address of my apartment in Laval. No 3G so far.

Should I just throw away my iPad and buy another?:cool:

Sarah,

Did you connect the IPad with Rogers SIM to iTunes to initialize? After this, I had no issues using Canadian residential address and my USA credit card.

One last suggestion, do you have any Canadian friends or co-workers who will let you use their credit card and address with reimbursement?

/Jim

maestrokev
Nov 3, 2010, 02:58 AM
1. Went to Futureshop and purchased a prepaid iPad micro-sim. Cost me $11 (inc tax)

Technically it is not a prepaid microSIM unlike the one Telstra, Optus, Vodafone offer in Australia. In Canada you are just buying a microSIM, there's no data included until you add credit.

I don't know why people aren't just going to the Apple Canada retail stores to get the microSIM as they are still free for Bell and Rogers.

flynz4
Nov 3, 2010, 10:50 AM
Technically it is not a prepaid microSIM unlike the one Telstra, Optus, Vodafone offer in Australia. In Canada you are just buying a microSIM, there's no data included until you add credit.

I don't know why people aren't just going to the Apple Canada retail stores to get the microSIM as they are still free for Bell and Rogers.

That is what I did... I chose Rogers and they installed and activated it in my iPad, and then it worked perfectly with my USA credit card, and a friends residential address.

/Jim

SarahCatt
Nov 4, 2010, 02:14 AM
After trying Bell, Rogers, and Telus since August and without apparent success, I discovered the problem that Bell CA's tech support could not: I could not activate a data plan on Bell CA because I had typoed my U.S. VISA card's expiration date.

When I got back to Montreal last month, I discovered this error when I was reviewing my account data on my iPad. Surely it could not be that simple, but it was. I've been on the Bell CA 5GB plan for almost a month. Rogers could not seem to get anything to work for me and Telus effectively told me that if I didn't have a Canadian resident driver license from any province, I could take my Telus microSIM card and...

BTW, I have Bell, Rogers, Telus, and AT&T microSIM cards and I've never been charged anything for the cards. While I am in Canada, I am paying AT&T and Bell for service. I never come close to using much data service on my iPad because most of the time, I have WiFi. I'm such a great business deal for both my wireless carriers, but at least when I want access to the Web or email, I have it.

flynz4
Nov 4, 2010, 09:21 AM
After trying Bell, Rogers, and Telus since August and without apparent success, I discovered the problem that Bell CA's tech support could not: I could not activate a data plan on Bell CA because I had typoed my U.S. VISA card's expiration date.

When I got back to Montreal last month, I discovered this error when I was reviewing my account data on my iPad. Surely it could not be that simple, but it was. I've been on the Bell CA 5GB plan for almost a month. Rogers could not seem to get anything to work for me and Telus effectively told me that if I didn't have a Canadian resident driver license from any province, I could take my Telus microSIM card and...

BTW, I have Bell, Rogers, Telus, and AT&T microSIM cards and I've never been charged anything for the cards. While I am in Canada, I am paying AT&T and Bell for service. I never come close to using much data service on my iPad because most of the time, I have WiFi. I'm such a great business deal for both my wireless carriers, but at least when I want access to the Web or email, I have it.

Congratulations on finally getting it figured it out. I've been perplexed on why it wouldn't work for you.

Regarding the bolded section. With Rogers, I never had to contact them at all. I just got the SIM card from the Apple store, and set up the plan from my iPad without human intervention. My daughter who goes to grad school in BC ended up with a Bell iPhone 4, and she has the add-on plan of $10/month which lets her use her existing 6GB dataplan on both her iPhone and her iPad. Since she is under contract with Bell on a post-paid plan... she needed the drivers license (or Gov ID card) from BC before Bell would sign her up for a plan. It sounds like whoever you were talking to at Telus about your iPad was confused between pre-paid and post-paid plans.

/Jim

maestrokev
Nov 5, 2010, 04:40 AM
Since she is under contract with Bell on a post-paid plan... she needed the drivers license (or Gov ID card) from BC before Bell would sign her up for a plan. It sounds like whoever you were talking to at Telus about your iPad was confused between pre-paid and post-paid plans.

/Jim

So much for the US/Canada Free Trade Agreement. You'd think telcos would make it easier for Canadians and Americans to use iPad/phone plans as many of us live close to the border and enjoy frequent trips.

romigr
Mar 9, 2011, 06:27 AM
I am a US resident traveling in Canada. I picked up a Rogers SIM card at a Rogers Plus store. Registered with an American Express card (US billing address) using my hotel address on the Rogers registration form. So far, it's working...

SarahCatt
Mar 10, 2011, 02:45 AM
Great to hear about your success! :D I think we might be past the kind of train wreck which others and I experienced with Canadian data plans for US iPad owners. Most of it appeared to be due to carrier inexperience with the problem. It never made sense to me that ANY cell carrier in the world would give a second thought to taking my money if I were willing to part with it so easily.

It turns out that they didn't and it's all good now. I mostly created my own problem by messing up the credit card number, which escalated rapidly (and not in a good way) when carrier tech support got involved. :eek:

Keebler
Mar 10, 2011, 07:08 AM
after reading this thread, I think i'm right in the following, but would like to confirm b/c i'll be spending $500 or more :)

I'm CDN and in the US so if i buy a 3G model here, I can just buy a rogers/bell etc.. sim card back home and be up and running right?

flynz4
Mar 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
after reading this thread, I think i'm right in the following, but would like to confirm b/c i'll be spending $500 or more :)

I'm CDN and in the US so if i buy a 3G model here, I can just buy a rogers/bell etc.. sim card back home and be up and running right?

Correct,

If you go to an Apple Store, they will give you a SIM card for free.

/Jim