PDA

View Full Version : Skadoosh iPad Stand Review

itzcoolz
Jun 13, 2010, 03:19 AM
i wasn't quite sure how I should do pictures, so the pictures are available on my blog posting (http://davidahn.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/jadu-skadoosh-ipad-stand-review/).... Here is the text from that review:

i was one of the first to receive the Skadoosh iPad Stand, and i would summarize my experience with the stand in that it is exactly what you'd want in an iPad stand. It's a bit costly at $60, but I can definitely say it is extremely well-designed and well-built.

Design

As seen on the official site, the Skadoosh Stand is a sleek block of silver and black, consistent with the stylish design of the iPad. It has a fold-out strip which gives the stand extra stability, without adding to the size of the unit. It comes with a cloth bag for carrying around. When in its most compact form, it is just barely larger than the size of a typical desktop mouse. The one disappointment is that it arrived in the cloth bag, and not in any formal packaging of any type (other than the shipment USPS flat rate box). This might improve as it is still hot off the presses.

There are pass-through slots for the cable to be plugged in even when in portrait orientation, and there is also an opening for the home button. Also, the speakers are not covered by the stand. The only name placement is humbly placed on the back of the stand, in a nearly invisible logo (white on silver). The bottom of the iPad fits into a cradle by simply placing it in. There aren’t any rough surfaces to damage the iPad.

Adjustable Angle Done Right

The back support (in the form of a bar with rubber bumpers) of the stand is adjustable, at (i counted) 7 heights, ranging from roughly 20 degrees to approx 85 degrees (nearly vertical). The stand adjusts by a locking mechanism that clicks into position at various points as you tilt the back support forward. Once clicked in at its various points, there is almost no backwards give (beyond the most recently “activated” click/lock), and the iPad is sturdily in place. It comfortably fits the iPad in portrait or landscape orientation, and again, unless you are applying significant force, there is very little backwards give. With any normal pressure involved in typing, touching the screen, and browsing, there will be no instability or wobbling.

Since the back support bar only moves forward easily, when you need to push it back to stow it away or tilt the iPad back, you can press a button on the front of the stand to allow the back support bar to be pushed back beyond any locked position. It did take a few minutes to get accustomed to the button, because after pressing the button, you have to pull the back support bar slightly forward before you can push it back. However, this was only a miniscule issue that was quickly resolved as I became familiar with it. Even with the iPad on the stand, the angle can be adjusted easily.

Typing
Someone asked me to comment on the typing experience. When in the most flat angle (about 25 degrees), the typing experience is very well done. Because of the slight angle, typing accuracy is improved over lying it flat or even at a small incline. I would parallel it to using the Apple iPad case or Yoobao case when propped up. The bottom is low enough to the table that you can comfortably rest your wrists on the desk. Also, the stand is just narrow enough to not impede your hands when typing with two hands as you would on a keyboard. However, when at the higher, more vertical angles, two-handed typing becomes awkward, but only because of the angle (and not because of any flaw in the design of the stand). At these heights, I would type with one or two fingers instead, and as mentioned earlier, there is barely any backwards give when applying your finger to the screen.

Does it Work With My iPad Case/Shell/Film?

I always am concerned about compatibility of iPad accessories with the vast array of cases and films that people use to protect their iPads. I can say that the Skadoosh iPad Stand will easily fit MOST cases that don't significantly increase the width of the iPad. This means that it definitely will fit ANY film, or thin shell that you place on the iPad. According to their website, it will accommodate any case that adds less than 3mm (1/8 inch) to the thickness of the iPad. For even more fine tune support, they have the back support crossbar on an off-axis, so that by rotating the bar around its axis, you can just slightly modify the point at which the crossbar makes contact with the iPad.

It did not fit my Yoobao folio case, but the Yoobao case is fairly thick. The website shows it holding an iPad with the official Apple iPad case, and I believe this.

Conclusion

The JaDu Skadoosh iPad Stand is well-designed, and has just about every feature that you'd expect or look for in an iPad Stand. However, at $60, it costs quite a lot of money. The biggest issue I've had is not with the stand itself, but rather with finding enough uses for any stand to justify that pricetag. However, if you are looking for the best iPad stand on the market at any cost, I can confidently say that your search is over.

Pros:

Very stable
Fairly compact/portable
Adjustable angle done right
Supports films and thin cases
Allows cable to pass-through
Does not cover speakers or home button
Support both portrait and landscape
Stylish design consistent with the iPad

Cons:

Expensive cost for an iPad Stand ($60)
No retail packaging as of yet

Official Product Page (http://www.jadu-industries.com/iPad-Accessories/iPad-Stand.html)

SchneiderMan
Jun 13, 2010, 03:38 AM
Wow it actually looks amazing! Thanks for the post too.

TurboSC
Jun 13, 2010, 04:01 AM
thanks for the review... the stand is definitely on the nicer end of what I've seen. the finish matches well with the iPad.

normwood
Jun 13, 2010, 05:22 AM
Very nice review. Thanks for including the photos in your blog post.

It looks like a very nice stand. The stand looks well made and well thought out. If I were in the market for a stand I wouldn't hesitate to at least do some research on it. The adjustability looks fantastic.

Thanks again!

Steve

peapody
Jun 13, 2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the review!

Definitely cannot wait to get it. I think it is nice they at least included the cloth bag, because I can see this thing being used on the go. I dunno about other stands though.

peapody
Jun 13, 2010, 07:27 AM
Oh and OP, a couple questions.

How is typing on that angle? Is it comfortable how it is slightly raised like that?

How does the iPad slip in and held? Is that black part adjustable to clamp on the iPad?

T4R06
Jun 13, 2010, 08:31 AM
I hope the company realize that the price is too much and way overpriced.. I want one but $60 is no go for me..

normwood
Jun 13, 2010, 08:40 AM
Tell them to send your commission check....I just placed an order. j/k :D

If I was going to design a stand....and I was thinking about it....this would be pretty close to it. Saved me tons of time and effort. ;)

To those saying it's over priced...it may be "high" priced, but until you have it in your hands and have something similar that is much "lower"priced...it's not "over" priced. Just my $0.02.

I work in the fastener industry and support one large manufacturing customer. Designing, engineering, molds, packaging....all that stuff is expensive. It's also made in the USA. To ME that is worth a little extra.

Steve

DaBrain
Jun 13, 2010, 08:57 AM
Nice review! How about some pics using iPad in landscape? ;)

peapody
Jun 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
Tell them to send your commission check....I just placed an order. j/k :D

If I was going to design a stand....and I was thinking about it....this would be pretty close to it. Saved me tons of time and effort. ;)

To those saying it's over priced...it may be "high" priced, but until you have it in your hands and have something similar that is much "lower"priced...it's not "over" priced. Just my $0.02.

I work in the fastener industry and support one large manufacturing customer. Designing, engineering, molds, packaging....all that stuff is expensive. It's also made in the USA. To ME that is worth a little extra.

Steve

I agree. This thing took time to design and obviously there is nothing equal to it out there. Therefore you would have to pay for that fact.

http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc_ipad/
$40 for a stand that just stands. You have to remove silicon to fit a case. To be in "work mode" it still looks like it's standing up and you can't access kb or anything. THAT is over priced to me. $20 more and you get a lot more functionality, and on top of that the skadoosh is portable. I dunno. Seems about right to me. May even be a bargain.

3goldens
Jun 13, 2010, 09:42 AM
thanks for the nice review. I was interested in it but if it does not accommodate the Yoobao then that's kinda a deal closer for me for the time being. Good to know about it though!

DotCom2
Jun 13, 2010, 09:49 AM
Nice, but too pricey.
They'll be others.
Thanks for the review.

scirica
Jun 13, 2010, 03:36 PM
Nice, but too pricey.
They'll be others.
Thanks for the review.

Agreed. Very nice looking though!

itzcoolz
Jun 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
Oh and OP, a couple questions.

How is typing on that angle? Is it comfortable how it is slightly raised like that?

I added a brief section on typing to the original review:

"Someone asked me to comment on the typing experience. When in the most flat angle (about 25 degrees), the typing experience is very well done. Because of the slight angle, typing accuracy is improved over lying it flat or even at a small incline. I would parallel it to using the Apple iPad case or Yoobao case when propped up. The bottom is low enough to the table that you can comfortably rest your wrists on the desk. Also, the stand is just narrow enough to not impede your hands when typing with two hands as you would on a keyboard. However, when at the higher, more vertical angles, two-handed typing becomes awkward, but only because of the angle (and not because of any flaw in the design of the stand). At these heights, I would type with one or two fingers instead, and as mentioned earlier, there is barely any backwards give when applying your finger to the screen."

How does the iPad slip in and held? Is that black part adjustable to clamp on the iPad?

I've included a closeup picture. The iPad just drops into a cradle. It is not adjustable to clamp (that i know of), but it still fits snugly. The picture doesn't capture it well, but there are various grooves and protrusions to allow the iPad to find a snug fit no matter the angle. I would imagine, so long as the case can fit in the cradle, it would fit snugly.

itzcoolz
Jun 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
Nice review! How about some pics using iPad in landscape? ;)

i added one picture of the iPad in landscape.

itzcoolz
Jun 13, 2010, 05:03 PM
oh, sorry to spam. i also slightly modified the statement on the backwards give. when fiddling around with the stand today, i noticed that if you apply significant force (eg. push uncomfortably hard), it does have some backwards give. however, when simply interacting with it as you would an iPad, there is no unsteadiness or wobble.

Beau10
Jun 14, 2010, 09:16 AM
I hope the company realize that the price is too much and way overpriced.. I want one but $60 is no go for me..

Isn't this a common complaint about Apple products in general? I mean products actually made by Apple.

The price seems about dead on to me.

Beau10
Jun 14, 2010, 11:24 AM
I would parallel it to using the Apple iPad case or Yoobao case when propped up.

What is the actual rise you measure, from the base of the ipad to the top while in typing incline?

The picture in the blog post looks quite a bit more severe than what you see in a typical folio stand. For instance, my MacAlly bookstand appears to have about a 1.75" rise (the base is raised about .25", and the top 2"). If I had to guess, it looks like the Jadu has the base about 3/4", and the top about 4" - nearly double. I think the Apple case might be a bit more than the MacAlly, think I heard it was just over 2".

jmor
Jun 14, 2010, 04:38 PM
I think this looks really nice and the price isn't too bad, I would just hope typing would be good on it. Everything else looks about what I'd want in a stand though.

peapody
Jun 21, 2010, 07:42 AM
My stand should be shipping today! Can't wait.

Any other skadoosh owners out there?

alee
Jun 26, 2010, 10:32 PM
Mine arrived today. It is an extremely well made stand, and well worth the 60 bucks. Using it with my Incipio Feather attached to the iPad without any issues. Thumbs up from me!

richpjr
Jun 27, 2010, 01:27 AM
That looks really functional and stable, but man - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. IMO, that thing is...butt ugly, especially from behind. No way I'd put my beautiful iPad on that thing. If I needed a stand, I guess I'd go with the minimalistic and not nearly as useful, but far more elegant looking, Apple dock.

miamijim
Jun 27, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have to disagree with there I am afraid.

This stand is beautiful looking and fits right in next to my iMac.

peapody
Jun 27, 2010, 06:07 AM
That looks really functional and stable, but man - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. IMO, that thing is...butt ugly, especially from behind. No way I'd put my beautiful iPad on that thing. If I needed a stand, I guess I'd go with the minimalistic and not nearly as useful, but far more elegant looking, Apple dock.

I'd disagree as well. This thing is amazing. Just got mine too. So industrial and functional. The Back leg piece you can leave tucked away so it looks minimalistic. All you see in the front is the silver bezel. This stand was well worth the wait.

richpjr
Jun 27, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'd disagree as well. This thing is amazing. Just got mine too. So industrial and functional. The Back leg piece you can leave tucked away so it looks minimalistic. All you see in the front is the silver bezel. This stand was well worth the wait.

Heh - different strokes for different folks. The only thing important is what works for you.

testcard
Jun 28, 2010, 04:13 PM
Quick question - is the rear extendable arm necessary for stable use on a flat surface or can the stand be used safely with the arm folded away?

peapody
Jun 28, 2010, 04:44 PM
Quick question - is the rear extendable arm necessary for stable use on a flat surface or can the stand be used safely with the arm folded away?

The stand is completely stable without it. Rock solid. The extra arm can be tucked away but I have it out when i have my ipad reclined to type.

testcard
Jun 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that.

jtara
Jun 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
Any problem with the Belkin GripVue? If I don't have to take the GripVue off, I'm sold!

peapody
Jun 29, 2010, 01:04 PM
Any problem with the Belkin GripVue? If I don't have to take the GripVue off, I'm sold!

The holder is wide enough for me to slip in my ipad + switch easy nude with room to spare. I am willing to bet your gripvue will fit just fine :o

Jazzy Hobbs
Jun 30, 2010, 12:26 AM

As co-owner of JaDu Industries, LLC-the makers of the Skadoosh Stand- I can tell you definitively that the Belkin Grip Vue is fully compatible with our stand. It is one of the several cases that we had on hand during the development process and have tested it personally for compatibility.

Just an FYI for anyone interested...the cases we have personally tested and can guarantee to be compatible with the Skadoosh Stand are: Apple iPad Case, Belkin Grip Vue, CIMO Cases - Silicone Skin and soft Gel , INCASE Grip Protective Cover (landscape only), Macally METROCPAD

We have also had reports from customers that the Vaja Involution and the Speck Candyshell work as well. So, while we won't guarantee compatibility until we have tested them ourselves, I know there are at least a few people out there who are using those thick cases with our stand as well.