PDA

View Full Version : eMac - worried about the screen

wowser
Oct 18, 2004, 06:40 AM
Hi. I've had my eMac since May of this year. I have noticed that evry so often (say, once a day or so) the screen flickers slightly, shakes. I would not normally be worried, but after all that raster shift stuff, I am worried about what may happen a few months down the line (or sooner) . Should I be worried?

neoelectronaut
Oct 18, 2004, 10:46 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried.

Typically this happens when you play sound or music too loud. Perfectly normal.

wowser
Oct 18, 2004, 10:58 AM
I think you may have misunderstood. I am used to having a slight ripple at the edges when i play loud music, but this flicker is more random. It has happened even with no music playing, and the volume turned down.

PlaceofDis
Oct 18, 2004, 11:06 AM
ive seen CRTs do what you describe before, but before you get too concered, try and figure out if there is anything causing it, or if it is truely random, for example in the computer labs here at my school if someone sits down next to me and the monitor is off, as soon as it gets turned on it does what you describe, so there might be some other factors, but i wouldnt be too worried if i were you

cluthz
Oct 18, 2004, 11:07 AM
Are you having a cellphone or other wireless acessories near the eMac??
Those can make your screen flicker. Also don't have any magnetic things (like speakers too close to your computer).

jackieonasses
Oct 18, 2004, 11:59 AM
Are you having a cellphone or other wireless acessories near the eMac??
Those can make your screen flicker. Also don't have any magnetic things (like speakers too close to your computer). my cell phone always made it flicker every 5 or so minutes as it was calling the voicemail thingy. (my crt) try seeing if you have your cell phone on you or maybe something else like the guy that i quoted said.

wowser
Oct 18, 2004, 12:09 PM
good points guys! I have a boombox sitting next to the eMac, and next to that i have my cellphone. I will try moving them both and see how it goes. cheers :)

SPUY767
Oct 18, 2004, 12:20 PM
I have crappy electrical service in my area, marked by many surges and dips in the supply of power. The CRT being the single largest draw of power, it tends to flicker whenever there is a power surge. Long story short, my Apple studio 17 flat panel, the same screen as is in the new eMac, has been doing it for years. So as far as I can tell, no worries mate. Oh, and mine will do it every couple of days, but sometimes weeks will go w/o incedent.

jared_kipe
Oct 18, 2004, 12:41 PM
Most power lines have either some kind of variance which can cause this problem. Things like pluging in an iron can usually change the way power flows in a house or apartment.

wowser
Oct 18, 2004, 04:44 PM
man, this whole raster thing i read about has really made me paranoid... well, that and this columbian weed ;) j/k

titaniumducky
Oct 18, 2004, 05:34 PM
It's also possible that it's automatically degaussing.

wowser
Oct 19, 2004, 08:00 PM
sounds like that would be a kind thing for it to do

BornAgainMac
Oct 19, 2004, 08:51 PM
Change the resolution down one notch to see if it eliminates the problem.

ChrisFromCanada
Oct 19, 2004, 08:54 PM
Apple says it should only auto-degauss during start-up or wake up but maybe if the display has been on for a long time it just does it by itself.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88416

wowser
Oct 19, 2004, 09:08 PM
Change the resolution down one notch to see if it eliminates the problem.

Nah, it's on 1152 / 864 at the mo - i wouldn't want to go to 1024/ 768.

At the mo, the screen is behaving itself. :o

wowser
Oct 19, 2004, 09:09 PM
i read the Apple doc. FRom what i read, it seemd possible that it could be due to this degaussing thing

slooksterPSV
Oct 19, 2004, 09:10 PM
I'm just going to answer this just because its happened to me. Yes other monitors do it, other things sitting by it such as telephones or cell-phones will cause it to do that, also the HZ will cause it to do that if you don't have it set correctly or sometimes just the shaking desk will cause the monitor to get a ripple in it. Loud sounds, boxes with energy running through it right by them such as Router, DSL and that. Also the mouse is right by it, it makes it shake sometimes (very slightly). Simple stupid things like that. You may want to check into it being something on the desk. ALSO DO NOT PUT MAGNENTS BY THE MONITOR OR ANYWHERE NEAR THE COMPUTER! Um... what else is there. Oh CDROM's, I've seen this at school, when its reading the CD too fast the monitor ripples or shakes or flickers. Anything i'm missing guys? You mentioned sound and that.

andysmith
Oct 20, 2004, 06:41 AM
I had this problem - turned out to be an Ikea desk-lamp power adaptor that was doing it - after I moved it, it was fine.