PDA

View Full Version : Richmond, VA - Short Pump Town Center

mrmiami247
Jun 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
Who's gonna be there? I have work in the morning so I think I'll just pre-order mine and pick it up later in the day.

mrmiami247
Jun 15, 2010, 09:25 PM
come on Richmond, I know there's someone who's gonna want to get up at 4 AM and meet me at Short Pump!?!?

AbSoluTc
Jun 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
Never waited at an Apple store but I just might be up for the experience this time around! Have not decided yet.

How was it last year? I guess as long as I have people to talk to I don't care how long I wait :D Plus I will know for sure I will get my phone. Got a pre-order at Best Buy but not sure how that will pan out.

From the looks of this thread, doesn't seem like many people will be there? Unless they don't get on here much. :cool:

mrmiami247
Jun 17, 2010, 01:25 PM
Never waited at an Apple store but I just might be up for the experience this time around! Have not decided yet.

How was it last year? I guess as long as I have people to talk to I don't care how long I wait :D Plus I will know for sure I will get my phone. Got a pre-order at Best Buy but not sure how that will pan out.

From the looks of this thread, doesn't seem like many people will be there? Unless they don't get on here much. :cool:

actually, I didn't go last year and I went to the AT&T store for the 3G launch. I don't want to take a chance at an AT&T store this year, especially the way things are screwing up. Yeah, I got my reserved one at the Apple store but I'm still getting there fairly early next week.

AbSoluTc
Jun 17, 2010, 01:58 PM
actually, I didn't go last year and I went to the AT&T store for the 3G launch. I don't want to take a chance at an AT&T store this year, especially the way things are screwing up. Yeah, I got my reserved one at the Apple store but I'm still getting there fairly early next week.

What day and how early? Lol.

mrmiami247
Jun 17, 2010, 05:14 PM
What day and how early? Lol.

umm, I think I left the house at like 5 or 5:30 because the AT&T stores didn't open then until 8 I think...but I would be there earlier because of the impressive pre-order numbers out the game...It was the launch date in 2008 for the 3G

AbSoluTc
Jun 17, 2010, 05:16 PM
umm, I think I left the house at like 5 or 5:30 because the AT&T stores didn't open then until 8 I think...but I would be there earlier because of the impressive pre-order numbers out the game...It was the launch date in 2008 for the 3G

I am still contemplating showing up or not. I have a pre-order at Best Buy. Not sure the mall will allow lines or not.

mrmiami247
Jun 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
I am still contemplating showing up or not. I have a pre-order at Best Buy. Not sure the mall will allow lines or not.

Yeah, I'm riding over to Short Pump tomorrow and going to ask them how early the mall will allow for lining up...I would do it at Best Buy but I don't know if I trust them with the launch of such a demanded product, as only an authorized retailer...but I'm going to try and get there next week around 5 or a little after...I got one reserved so I'm not too worried...as long as I'm in the top 20 or so in that line, it'll be fine

AbSoluTc
Jun 17, 2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I'm riding over to Short Pump tomorrow and going to ask them how early the mall will allow for lining up...I would do it at Best Buy but I don't know if I trust them with the launch of such a demanded product, as only an authorized retailer...but I'm going to try and get there next week around 5 or a little after...I got one reserved so I'm not too worried...as long as I'm in the top 20 or so in that line, it'll be fine

Let me know if you can what you find out. I hear that Best Buy is calling people a couple days before the launch to setup times for those who pre-ordered to come in. If I don't get that call or any good info I will probably go to the Apple store. I will line up if I am within the first 30 or so. After that, not sure it's worth it to me. I can wait. Not a big deal :)

mrmiami247
Jun 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
Let me know if you can what you find out. I hear that Best Buy is calling people a couple days before the launch to setup times for those who pre-ordered to come in. If I don't get that call or any good info I will probably go to the Apple store. I will line up if I am within the first 30 or so. After that, not sure it's worth it to me. I can wait. Not a big deal :)

Yeah, I'll put what I found out on here tomorrow afternoon or so. If I were you and you wanted to have one next week and Best Buy doesn't work, then you should get there around 5 or 5:30 AM to line up. Word is that there won't be a huge selection for those who didn't reserve.

AbSoluTc
Jun 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I'll put what I found out on here tomorrow afternoon or so. If I were you and you wanted to have one next week and Best Buy doesn't work, then you should get there around 5 or 5:30 AM to line up. Word is that there won't be a huge selection for those who didn't reserve.

Thanks. Yes, that is what I am thinkng.

arn
Jun 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
I'll be going to Short Pump at some point to pick up my pre-order.

arn

macN00B1975
Jun 18, 2010, 06:37 PM
I pre-ordered at Best Buy in Colonial Heights, but I'm thinking about going to Short Pump also. I didn't reserve one there, but if i can get in early enough I may be able to get one anyway. And even if I end up with two, I'm sure one of the other 6 3Gs in my family will buy it from me!! So, if anyone gets some good intel on how many unreserved ones Short Pump will have (Arn) please post it here!!

AbSoluTc
Jun 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
I'll be going to Short Pump at some point to pick up my pre-order.

arn

Arn - your in Richmond?

mrmiami247
Jun 18, 2010, 07:26 PM
I went to Short Pump today and I didn't get too much information from him. Lines will start at 6 AM and says that even though it is almost guaranteed at this store that people who reserved one will get one, to still get there early. He didn't give any word on those who don't have one reserved but it sounds like if you get there early enough, you will get one.

macN00B1975
Jun 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
That sounds promising. I appreciate the info. I'll just make sure that when Best Buy calls I make the appointment for later in the day so I will be able to get both of them!! My ex just informed me that she wants one also, so I guess I'll get one for her to go along with my own. :confused: Thanks again!

AbSoluTc
Jun 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
Interesting that lines only start at 6am.

Thanks for the info.

macN00B1975
Jun 18, 2010, 08:52 PM
I called Short Pump a little while ago trying to get some info. I swear the rep told me the mall was going to allow lines to start at 5 am (because I told her "good, I'll be there at 4", but that was about an hour and 3 drinks ago, so she may have actually said 6. But I really think she told me the line would start at 5. She also said there would be 2 lines, one for people that reserved one, and one for people that did not. She said she assumes that means they are anticipating a supply of phones that will be available for public sale since they are planning on two lines. I told her I would be the person at the front of the "Did not reserve a phone" line.

AbSoluTc
Jun 18, 2010, 08:58 PM
I called Short Pump a little while ago trying to get some info. I swear the rep told me the mall was going to allow lines to start at 5 am (because I told her "good, I'll be there at 4", but that was about an hour and 3 drinks ago, so she may have actually said 6. But I really think she told me the line would start at 5. She also said there would be 2 lines, one for people that reserved one, and one for people that did not. She said she assumes that means they are anticipating a supply of phones that will be available for public sale since they are planning on two lines. I told her I would be the person at the front of the "Did not reserve a phone" line.

Lol.

Since it is an open mall, you can walk in and wait at the Apple store right? Or do they not allow anyone in the mall period after/before a certain time?

arn
Jun 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
Arn - your in Richmond?

Yep!

arn

AbSoluTc
Jun 18, 2010, 09:00 PM
Yep!

arn

That's cool. :)

macN00B1975
Jun 18, 2010, 09:14 PM
I don't know if/when the mall is open. I'm actually from Alabama and I'm up here on business until the 25th (of all days) so I don't get to buy the iP4 from my home Apple Store where I've bought everything for the past 5 years. That's why I'm trying to get the scoop on Short Pump since it is the closest Apple to me.

AbSoluTc
Jun 18, 2010, 09:29 PM
I don't know if/when the mall is open. I'm actually from Alabama and I'm up here on business until the 25th (of all days) so I don't get to buy the iP4 from my home Apple Store where I've bought everything for the past 5 years. That's why I'm trying to get the scoop on Short Pump since it is the closest Apple to me.

Gotcha. Wish I could help. Don't know anything about launch days at the Apple store here. Don't even know how busy it will be either.

mrmiami247
Jun 18, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I wish I could tell you guys more about the launch. I swore the guy told me 6 but I had a long day at work today so he could have said 5. I live 40 minutes away so I'll be leaving early anyway. I'm actually excited about waking up at the crack of dawn to get one. My AT&T experience was actually fun with Panera being next door; we'd save each other's spot in line to get breakfast

AbSoluTc
Jun 18, 2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I wish I could tell you guys more about the launch. I swore the guy told me 6 but I had a long day at work today so he could have said 5. I live 40 minutes away so I'll be leaving early anyway. I'm actually excited about waking up at the crack of dawn to get one. My AT&T experience was actually fun with Panera being next door; we'd save each other's spot in line to get breakfast

Uh huh. You will be #2 and I will be #3 and you come back to #3 and you say nah uh, I was #2 and I will like, no cuts! :D

Never done one of these before. Might give it a try. Give me something to do, people to meet. I am 15 minutes away which is nice.

theredmacdaddy
Jun 18, 2010, 10:36 PM
When I went to check my reservation, i got this...231365

I better have 2 phones waiting on me. Driving from Lynchburg to get this. Will be there as soon as they let me get in line.

theredmacdaddy
Jun 18, 2010, 10:40 PM

I will be there!! SPTC info said that the center is not open until 6. Store opens at 7. I think I will be in my car most of the night in the lot!!

AbSoluTc
Jun 18, 2010, 11:07 PM
I will be there!! SPTC info said that the center is not open until 6. Store opens at 7. I think I will be in my car most of the night in the lot!!

That's crazy. Wonder how many people will swarm that place at 6.

mrmiami247
Jun 19, 2010, 09:55 PM
bump...richmond stand up!!!

AbSoluTc
Jun 19, 2010, 10:30 PM
This is actually good news. Hopefully it won't be that busy :)

macN00B1975
Jun 19, 2010, 11:11 PM
I went by there tonight to do some Recon. Customer Service at the mall says that no one will be allowed into the mall area prior to 5 am, and that Security and local police will keep the parking lot of the mall cleared prior to 5 am. From the sounds of it, arriving earlier than 5 is going to be pointless.

And, as expected, Apple employees had no good information to pass on...

AbSoluTc
Jun 19, 2010, 11:51 PM
I went by there tonight to do some Recon. Customer Service at the mall says that no one will be allowed into the mall area prior to 5 am, and that Security and local police will keep the parking lot of the mall cleared prior to 5 am. From the sounds of it, arriving earlier than 5 is going to be pointless.

And, as expected, Apple employees had no good information to pass on...

Lol. Good to see the police are doing something constructive. Lol. Thanks for the info.

corriewf
Jun 20, 2010, 01:10 AM
Wasn't really interested in standing in line but if some of you want to organize a special macrumors meet up to wait, let's do it. I wouldn't mind making some new friends with similar interests.....plus I need more friends to face time with.

mrmiami247
Jun 20, 2010, 10:25 AM
yeah that sounds pretty cool

corriewf
Jun 20, 2010, 03:42 PM
yeah that sounds pretty cool

Ok well we need to know how many people are going and try to get a consensus on times people are gonna go. I personally don't want to go way too early. I have a reservation, but am willing to understand others might need to wait a little earlier cause they don't. :) I'm a line wuss.

AbSoluTc
Jun 20, 2010, 11:26 PM
Not sure what to do at this point. I have an Apple reservation and a pre-order at Best Buy. AT&T store is like right up the street. Last year it had like 8 people in line. That was it.

I might just head there instead. No waiting and I don't have to deal with people. I will know more the closer it gets.

davisjw
Jun 21, 2010, 09:06 AM
I'll be there with a buddy as soon as they let us stand in line! Didn't reserve one in time (d'uh!) so I'm hoping to be one of the first 5 or so.

Called up the Apple store and the manager said they'd have some for walk-ins, of course wouldn't give out total number. At this point, trying out any other store seems very risky.

I've stood in line for other Apple products (and store launches!) but never for the iPhone - what information will I need when buying, if I'm already on an At&T phone? Do I need to make an Apple store reservation?

See you all there!!

macN00B1975
Jun 21, 2010, 11:04 AM
I will be activating a phone for a person that will not be with me, and I am not included on their account. She already has an iPhone 3G so it would be a standard upgrade. Apple Store told me that all I would need is her phone number, billing zip code, and last 4 of her social. Seems like it will be using the same process as the pre-order verification. That concerns me because we saw how effective that worked last week. I'm guessing we can plan on it being a long day Thursday...

davisjw
Jun 21, 2010, 12:09 PM
I will be activating a phone for a person that will not be with me, and I am not included on their account. She already has an iPhone 3G so it would be a standard upgrade. Apple Store told me that all I would need is her phone number, billing zip code, and last 4 of her social. Seems like it will be using the same process as the pre-order verification. That concerns me because we saw how effective that worked last week. I'm guessing we can plan on it being a long day Thursday...

Well I have work at 8AM so let's hope a little prayer to the Steve Jobs idol helps out!!

mrmiami247
Jun 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
a little less than 39 hours!!! let's go Richmond!!!

theredmacdaddy
Jun 22, 2010, 03:34 PM
I say since Walmart is 24 hours, that we meet there to head over for the 5 am bell.

SO READY FOR THURSDAY!!!!!

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 05:23 PM
I say since Walmart is 24 hours, that we meet there to head over for the 5 am bell.

SO READY FOR THURSDAY!!!!!

I'm game for that. Anyone else?

TaylorBoi
Jun 22, 2010, 05:49 PM
Just called the Store and the lady couldnt give me a good time to get there!!!! Grrr. She just said "Get here early." Thats not helping much!!!

Im in Colonial Heights and called the Best Buy here...they were clueless!! Lol. Im down for a meetup at short pump though. Im pretty sure the Apple Store will get the most units...how many is the question though

AbSoluTc
Jun 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
Thankfully I won't have to sit in any lines or get up early :) Talked to Best Buy a half hour ago. The nice girl I worked with last year new me and told me my phone was there waiting for me! WOOHOO! Can't believe my phone is sitting there on the shelf already. Crazy. Come on THURSDAY!

Yippy Skippy! No lines, no fuss, no muss! LOVE IT! :D

theredmacdaddy
Jun 22, 2010, 07:18 PM
Just called the Store and the lady couldnt give me a good time to get there!!!! Grrr. She just said "Get here early." Thats not helping much!!!

Im in Colonial Heights and called the Best Buy here...they were clueless!! Lol. Im down for a meetup at short pump though. Im pretty sure the Apple Store will get the most units...how many is the question though

I am driving from Lynchburg. Plan to be there late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning. Do not want to miss out.

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 07:43 PM

Colonial heights bb sucks. Been there a couple times and much prefer the short pump one. What happened to the mall there btw? Last time I was there, it has turned ghetto which makes no sense.

Where should we meet at walmart? Parking lot? You guys have reserved phones? Mine is reserved but I want to activate early before the stores open in the other time zones.

TaylorBoi
Jun 22, 2010, 07:54 PM
Colonial heights bb sucks. Been there a couple times and much prefer the short pump one. What happened to the mall there btw? Last time I was there, it has turned ghetto which makes no sense.

Where should we meet at walmart? Parking lot? You guys have reserved phones? Mine is reserved but I want to activate early before the stores open in the other time zones.

They are renovating the mall on a daily basis. Its starting to look decent now but it needs better quality stores. Bunch of fake stuff is being sold in there right now.

Im wondering the same thing about the meet up and I dont have a reserved phone so i probably get there a tad bit early!

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 07:56 PM

Until AT&Ts activation servers go down.

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 08:02 PM
They are renovating the mall on a daily basis. Its starting to look decent now but it needs better quality stores. Bunch of fake stuff is being sold in there right now.

Im wondering the same thing about the meet up and I dont have a reserved phone so i probably get there a tad bit early!

I used to live in hopewell ten years ago. I remember south park mall being an awesome place. I still love that area though. It remind me of the short pump area. It just a shame some of the rift raft from Petersburg has invaded. I used to work security in Petersburg and the crime rate is higher than downtown Richmond. Yikes!

5 am should be early enough I would think. Security won't let you in till 5 anyway. We could meet at walmart at maybe 4:45 and get over just in time to make the dash.

AbSoluTc
Jun 22, 2010, 08:27 PM
Until AT&Ts activation servers go down.

No problems last year. :)

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 08:44 PM
No problems last year. :)

That's because last year there were not as many people. A lot of people decided to stay with their 3G-2G. Hell even I thought about getting the 3G to save some money.

This year is gonna be crazy. Your on the east coast, take advantage of the fact that stores won't open in central until 8 here. By 10, I see it taking hours to activate your phone. The servers will go down. There's a small window between 7am and 9am to activate before everything gets crazy. Just saying.

I am willing to wait a couple hours extra with some people and make some friends maybe.

A best buy rep I talked to on evo launch day told me when sprints servers went down by noon, it was taking hours to activate peoples evos. The evo sold 65,000 on launch weekend total. We are looking at probably 300,000 to 500,000 iPhones activating on Thursday. That's not including the ppl getting their phone tomorrow.

theredmacdaddy
Jun 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
Should tweet each other when we get there. Use my twitter @wesredman

AbSoluTc
Jun 22, 2010, 09:10 PM
It's ok. I still have my 3GS and will have my iPhone 4 in hand. Works for me. Thankfully I don't have any children holding me back if I decide to go out sooner.

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 09:19 PM
It's ok. I still have my 3GS and will have my iPhone 4 in hand. Works for me. Thankfully I don't have any children holding me back if I decide to go out sooner.

Yeah, I got a babysitter. :D But I can understand how it might be harder for larger people to stand on their feet for long periods of time.

Theredmacdaddy, I don't have twitter. :(

AbSoluTc
Jun 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I got a babysitter. :D But I can understand how it might be harder for larger people to stand on their feet for long periods of time.

Theredmacdaddy, I don't have twitter. :(

I know right! :D

Maybe I can find myself an illegal wife on MySpace to help me out :)

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 09:38 PM
I know right! :D

Maybe I can find myself an illegal wife on MySpace to help me out :)

Just like your desperate mom? ;) it's gotta be better than spending most of your time alone in your moms basement where it appears most trolls live these days.

Your obviously trying to prove yourself on the Internet. You came here to tell people wanting to meet up to wait in line that you won't have to? If you don't want to wait in line, or meet up, don't post here. Enjoy your no fuss somewhere else. Get a life.

AbSoluTc
Jun 22, 2010, 09:52 PM
Lol. I take that as a no that you didn't find GOD? :)

Well - good luck on your continuing quest. You need it! ;)

corriewf
Jun 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
Lol. I take that as a no that you didn't find GOD? :)

Well - good luck on your continuing quest. You need it! ;)

God is not something that was lost. We are the ones that get lost sometimes and god finds us. He doesn't even need a retina screen. I on the other hand could use one. :D

The ONLY quest I'm on right now is to organize a meet up for us cool macrumor people to meet up so we can wait together. It's gonna be a long wait so it will be cool to hang out and make friends. Maybe we can play some games via Bluetooth on our iPhones together while we wait. Good times.

davisjw
Jun 23, 2010, 08:15 AM
So is 5AM the agreed on time for when we can start standing in line? I'll be trying a couple minutes in advance!

And what do I need to bring to activate my phone if I'm already on an AT&T family plan?

Getting excited! Then nervous that I'll have stayed in line for hours only to be told that the guy in front of me picked up the last one :(

macN00B1975
Jun 23, 2010, 08:32 AM
I just got off the phone with Short Pump. Management has confirmed that they will not allow anyone on the property (including the parking lot) until 5am.

mrmiami247
Jun 23, 2010, 09:26 AM
I'm not leaving my house till 5:15 so I'm not getting there until 6. I got one reserved though

TaylorBoi
Jun 23, 2010, 10:13 AM
I just got off the phone with Short Pump. Management has confirmed that they will not allow anyone on the property (including the parking lot) until 5am.

Confirmed....I just talked to them also. Line starts at the door at 5 AM, Store opens at 7. Looks like its going to be a Sprint to the Apple Store afterall, Bring ya running shoes people. Any more details on the meet up????

mrmiami247
Jun 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
hey Richmond, I won't be able to make the meet-up; I need that extra hour of sleep, especially since I live 45 minutes away..however, I will be there in good spirits at around 6 AM...see ya there!!!

macN00B1975
Jun 23, 2010, 07:03 PM
Thankfully I won't have to sit in any lines or get up early :) Talked to Best Buy a half hour ago. The nice girl I worked with last year new me and told me my phone was there waiting for me! WOOHOO! Can't believe my phone is sitting there on the shelf already. Crazy. Come on THURSDAY!

So Best Buy has screwed me... I never got a call from them today to make my appointment, so I went up to the store to find out what the deal was. After the girl made a couple of phone calls, and some whispering here and there, she finally came back and told me that she didn't get enough 32GB iPhones to fill my order. I told her I was number 3 to place the order. That's when she said they only got 2. Shouldn't they have at least called to let me know???

Now I'm not saying AbSoluTc did some sneaky behind the scenes stuff with his previous co-workers to acquire my phone... but it is kinda suspicious :confused:

The manager wouldn't even look in the computer to confirm the number of 32Gig phones they got in, she just kept telling me I could get a 16Gig and they would throw in a free $50 bluetooth. I wanted to tell her where to stick her bluetooth, but I kept my composure. So, it looks like I will be fighting my way to the front of the line at Short Pump tomorrow to get 2 phones. Anyone wanna line up behind Me? :D

theredmacdaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
Will be leaving Lynchburg around midnight to get closer to SPTC. Got camera ready for YouTube vids. Gonna be great (as long as I get my 2 phones).

AbSoluTc
Jun 23, 2010, 08:15 PM
So Best Buy has screwed me... I never got a call from them today to make my appointment, so I went up to the store to find out what the deal was. After the girl made a couple of phone calls, and some whispering here and there, she finally came back and told me that she didn't get enough 32GB iPhones to fill my order. I told her I was number 3 to place the order. That's when she said they only got 2. Shouldn't they have at least called to let me know???

Now I'm not saying AbSoluTc did some sneaky behind the scenes stuff with his previous co-workers to acquire my phone... but it is kinda suspicious :confused:

The manager wouldn't even look in the computer to confirm the number of 32Gig phones they got in, she just kept telling me I could get a 16Gig and they would throw in a free $50 bluetooth. I wanted to tell her where to stick her bluetooth, but I kept my composure. So, it looks like I will be fighting my way to the front of the line at Short Pump tomorrow to get 2 phones. Anyone wanna line up behind Me? :D

That sucks man. I am reading about that in the BB thread on here. Seems BB got more stock of the 16's than any other model.

Never worked for BB. I just knew the girl that works in the mobile department from my fiasco with the 3GS. I returned it a few times so she got to know me. Lol. So I trust her when she said they were in and mine was on the shelf ready.

Good luck at Short Pump. It sounds like it's going to be busy as hell.

theredmacdaddy
Jun 24, 2010, 01:24 AM
Sitting near Wendy's. Saw some people at SPTC get run off by security. So only 2.5 hours to kill.

AbSoluTc
Jun 24, 2010, 01:44 AM
That's crazy. Sounds like it's going to be a rush!

arn
Jun 24, 2010, 04:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

At shortpump. A pretty long line.

arn

corriewf
Jun 24, 2010, 06:40 AM
Here at short pump as well. Long line. Very long. Arn what are you wearing?

AbSoluTc
Jun 24, 2010, 08:03 AM
Good luck guys!

TaylorBoi
Jun 24, 2010, 08:30 AM
This was fun overall. I got kicked out the mall twice but managed to sneak in a 3rd time and not get caught. At 4:50 AM a lot people just bum rushed the Apple store and got in line. Security was complaining but it was to many people there for law enforcement to do anything had they been called. I managed to get 6th in line and was in and out the apple store by 7:30.

There were a few people who had been at Short pump since 8 PM!!!!!!!! Next time make sure you guys call management and see how they are going to handle campers. Fortunately those people who did get there that early still managed to get a iphone!

Cant wait to do it again....lol

corriewf
Jun 24, 2010, 09:13 AM
This was fun overall. I got kicked out the mall twice but managed to sneak in a 3rd time and not get caught. At 4:50 AM a lot people just bum rushed the Apple store and got in line. Security was complaining but it was to many people there for law enforcement to do anything had they been called. I managed to get 6th in line and was in and out the apple store by 7:30.

There were a few people who had been at Short pump since 8 PM!!!!!!!! Next time make sure you guys call management and see how they are going to handle campers. Fortunately those people who did get there that early still managed to get a iphone!

Cant wait to do it again....lol
I saw you. Thanks for telling us they had plenty of reserves. Been here since 6:45. About 30 people ahead of me.

AbSoluTc
Jun 24, 2010, 12:00 PM
Picked up my phone from Best Buy today. Got there at 10. Was a little line so I had to wait about an hour. Was out the door at 11. Did some errands and went home to activate. No issues. The screen is AMAZING!

painteddigital
Jun 24, 2010, 03:13 PM
Still pretty pissed about this. Maybe it will help future line-waiters. I left Lynchburg at 2 this morning to get to Short Pump by 4:30ish. Met my buddy and his g/f at 4:45 and we waited until 4:56 to go in when others seemed to be heading in. We ran to find about 20 other people in line in front of us. Everyone kept wondering which line was for reserves, but there was no sign. So around 5:30, someone from Apple finally puts the signs up (the line poles/guides were already up). And we discovered that we were in the reserve line, so we ran to the other side and ended up around 150th in line.:mad: At 7, when they were counting out iPhones, they ran out of 16GBs about 10 people in front of us, and then 32GBs 2 people ahead of us.

Moral of the story - if Apple would've labelled the lines ahead of time or if we would've split up when we arrived, I'd have an iPhone 4 right now.:( Also, it seems like those who tried sneaking in repeatedly were more successful than us too. So next year, don't worry about the "rules."

AbSoluTc
Jun 24, 2010, 04:15 PM
Still pretty pissed about this. Maybe it will help future line-waiters. I left Lynchburg at 2 this morning to get to Short Pump by 4:30ish. Met my buddy and his g/f at 4:45 and we waited until 4:56 to go in when others seemed to be heading in. We ran to find about 20 other people in line in front of us. Everyone kept wondering which line was for reserves, but there was no sign. So around 5:30, someone from Apple finally puts the signs up (the line poles/guides were already up). And we discovered that we were in the reserve line, so we ran to the other side and ended up around 150th in line.:mad: At 7, when they were counting out iPhones, they ran out of 16GBs about 10 people in front of us, and then 32GBs 2 people ahead of us.

Moral of the story - if Apple would've labelled the lines ahead of time or if we would've split up when we arrived, I'd have an iPhone 4 right now.:( Also, it seems like those who tried sneaking in repeatedly were more successful than us too. So next year, don't worry about the "rules."

Sorry to hear that. Sucks. That store is horrible. One of the many reasons I did not go there this year or last year or the year before. Even going there for a warranty issue results in 2 years off my life because of stress caused by the stupidity called genius'.

corriewf
Jun 24, 2010, 04:20 PM

I share your pain. Waited for 4 hours in line. Thought I would about die when it got to the mid 90s. Finally got in the store. Of course my luck, for the second phone, they could not get the line set up to go through. Took an hour and a half to get that going through. Then had to have my phone replaced due to yellow issue. Got home a few hours ago and my line is still not able to make calls, yet my wife is fine. Someone shoot me.

Next year I am going through the mail. Shame you can't start a new line of service via mail. I can now say that I experienced the launch day wait and shall never wait for a product like this again.

AbSoluTc
Jun 24, 2010, 04:29 PM
I share your pain. Waited for 4 hours in line. Thought I would about die when it got to the mid 90s. Finally got in the store. Of course my luck, for the second phone, they could not get the line set up to go through. Took an hour and a half to get that going through. Then had to have my phone replaced due to yellow issue. Got home a few hours ago and my line is still not able to make calls, yet my wife is fine. Someone shoot me.

Next year I am going through the mail. Shame you can't start a new line of service via mail. I can now say that I experienced the launch day wait and shall never wait for a product like this again.

You have to admit though, it's a sexy piece of hardware. :)

corriewf
Jun 24, 2010, 05:55 PM
You have to admit though, it's a sexy piece of hardware. :)

Didn't think I would be happy with 3.5 inch screen again but have to say it's very nice. I don't have to zoom in to read text. The phone itself feels great in the hand. Just wish my service would activate so I could test FaceTime with my wife. For now I have to look at her directly without the assistance of a cam. Damn. : - P kidding.

AbSoluTc
Jun 24, 2010, 06:12 PM
Didn't think I would be happy with 3.5 inch screen again but have to say it's very nice. I don't have to zoom in to read text. The phone itself feels great in the hand. Just wish my service would activate so I could test FaceTime with my wife. For now I have to look at her directly without the assistance of a cam. Damn. : - P kidding.

Lol.

Service is still not active? The screen is amazing. The phone feels really nice and has a great weight to it. No yellow. Do have the signal issue. Seems to be pretty much everyone though.

Csmitte
Jun 24, 2010, 06:32 PM
So me and a co-worker got up at 3:30 am left the burg and headed for Richmond, we got to the Apple store at 5:10 am and seen some pretty massive lines. Luckily I was there on launch day for the Ipad and remembered how they had the lines setup for the pre-orders and the walk-in purchases. So we get in the correct line, and wait till 7am, and they start bringing people in. I moved approximately 37 feet in 2.5 hrs! then one of the employee's comes out and starts a direct count correlation to stock on hand so people wouldn't wait around for no reason. I was one of the last few souls to have a 32gb Iphone 4!! (or so i thought!) so we keep moving slowly, and we get to the point in the line where the curves stop and we can see the finish line. At this point the manager comes out and tells us that there is a good chance that the last few peeps would not get the opportunity to buy one. (this almost caused a RIOT!) But we stuck it out and then we met the manager of the store and a great employee named MILA! MILA somehow kept coming up with IPhones and a long story short they closed our line off and gave all of us what we had asked for, I don't know how but they did. I just wonder if they were trying to punk us all out, because literally 25 people got out of line and signed up to be put on the priority list. we stuck it out and prevailed! thanks MILA I owe you a cold beverage!!!!!of your choice not to exceed 9.50 plus richmond tax!:D

andrewroycarter
Jun 24, 2010, 07:58 PM

Us nice guys that follow the rules always lose >_< My favorite was everyone's (including my own) constant rationalizing the whole time... "Oh man they moved the sign way down there, that means they have to have at least that much!". Guy behind us promised that they would have at least 2000. )))))= AT&T on tuesday it is. And next year, waking up early and playing the beat the slow server preorder game seems like a much better option!

corriewf
Jun 24, 2010, 11:20 PM
So me and a co-worker got up at 3:30 am left the burg and headed for Richmond, we got to the Apple store at 5:10 am and seen some pretty massive lines. Luckily I was there on launch day for the Ipad and remembered how they had the lines setup for the pre-orders and the walk-in purchases. So we get in the correct line, and wait till 7am, and they start bringing people in. I moved approximately 37 feet in 2.5 hrs! then one of the employee's comes out and starts a direct count correlation to stock on hand so people wouldn't wait around for no reason. I was one of the last few souls to have a 32gb Iphone 4!! (or so i thought!) so we keep moving slowly, and we get to the point in the line where the curves stop and we can see the finish line. At this point the manager comes out and tells us that there is a good chance that the last few peeps would not get the opportunity to buy one. (this almost caused a RIOT!) But we stuck it out and then we met the manager of the store and a great employee named MILA! MILA somehow kept coming up with IPhones and a long story short they closed our line off and gave all of us what we had asked for, I don't know how but they did. I just wonder if they were trying to punk us all out, because literally 25 people got out of line and signed up to be put on the priority list. we stuck it out and prevailed! thanks MILA I owe you a cold beverage!!!!!of your choice not to exceed 9.50 plus richmond tax!:D
Wait what? I got there at 6:45 and never heard anything about limited phones. I was there for two hours after I got my phone and they still had a ton of preorders. Were in walk in lined?

TaylorBoi
Jun 28, 2010, 01:10 PM

Kind of late reading this but you guys shouldve complained!! The first 5 or 6 people in that same line were walk-ins and they complained to Apple Employees about the situation. They ended up staying in the reserve line and still got an iPhone 4. We had several reserves in our line who stayed put and got a iPhone. It does suck however that Apple didnt have signs ahead of time to let people know which line was which. SMH. Now that the dust has settled im definitely taking the pre-order route next year, it'll be much easier.

Also Apple shouldve allowed 1 phone per person. Knowing that the iPhones were limited why would you allow 2 per person? That line was huge.