PDA

View Full Version : Can PostSecret and Facebook Save a Life?

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/picture-111.png?w=455

A disturbing post on PostSecret yesterday revealed an illegal immigrant pledging to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge – but 20,000 online voices have responded with hope.
PostSecret, a blog that weekly displays anonymously mailed-in secrets on postcards from across the country, has long been known for revealing suicidal secrets, and has set up a phone hotline in response since the blog began in 2004. Yesterday, a postcard read, “I have lived in San Francisco since I was young … I am illegal … I am not wanted here. I don’t belong anywhere. This summer I plan to jump off the Golden Gate.”
Within 24 hours, nearly 20,000 people had signed up for a Facebook group titled “please don’t jump,” which was later linked beneath the secret on the Post Secret blog, linking in thousands of supportive comments. On the group’s page, sympathetic users posted comments ranging from simply “I want you here” to “If I knew when you’d be at the bridge, I’d drive all the way from Ohio to meet you there, and hold you until you changed your mind.”
While there’s unfortunately no way to know if the card’s writer has seen the overwhelming number of responses on Facebook, one can only hope the community of writers has helped changed at least one person’s mind — perhaps even beyond the person who wrote the card.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/06/07/can-post-secret-and-facebook-save-a-life/#ixzz0qku9Kb6B

Pretty moving. :o

Zombie Acorn
Jun 13, 2010, 12:46 PM
Deport him and then he won't be able to jump off the bridge.

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah, who cares about thousands of people getting together to save a life, right? THERE'S AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT AROUND!! :rolleyes:

skunk
Jun 13, 2010, 12:55 PM
Deport him and then he won't be able to jump off the bridge.Is this your idea of a joke?

Zombie Acorn
Jun 13, 2010, 01:00 PM
Is this your idea of a joke?

No, I am serious. Illegals need to be deported.

firestarter
Jun 13, 2010, 02:15 PM
Is this your idea of a joke?

Life can be quite simple when you're a teenager.

Zombie Acorn
Jun 13, 2010, 02:22 PM
Life can be quite simple when you're a teenager.

or when you are naive enough to believe an anonymous message from a supposed illegal to gain sympathy.

skunk
Jun 13, 2010, 02:23 PM
or when you are naive enough to believe an anonymous message from a supposed illegal to gain sympathy.How do you gain sympathy by remaining anonymous? :confused:

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 02:25 PM
or when you are naive enough to believe an anonymous message from a supposed illegal to gain sympathy.

you're confident enough to risk the possibility of it being a genuine cry for help?

firestarter
Jun 13, 2010, 02:28 PM

Speaking of anonymity... you're a very interesting character Mr. Acorn. You seem to have been towards the end of the queue when empathy was being handed out - a trait most associated with teenagers (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14738243). I could be wrong of course.

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 02:33 PM
This is from the PostSecret website, about two-thirds down the page:

This secret from last week sparked a movement

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/TBRL6BovG6I/AAAAAAAAMHc/6PvSRgrMh_c/s1600/GGB.jpg

In seven days over 50,000 of you joined an online community offering encouragement and help.

Today (Sunday) at noon hundreds are meeting on the Golden Gate Bridge to take a stand against suicide at the very place where it happens most in the world. (You're invited, look for the yellow balloons and ribbons).

This hopeful story has received international press coverage including this first report on Time Magazine's NewFeed.

I haven't heard from the person who mailed this postcard, but I have heard from many who have felt lifted by this flashmob of kindness.

Zombie Acorn
Jun 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
Speaking of anonymity... you're a very interesting character Mr. Acorn. You seem to have been towards the end of the queue when empathy was being handed out - a trait most associated with teenagers (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14738243). I could be wrong of course.

Justice is more important than empathy, and I am not a teenager so I don't know what you are getting at.

Zombie Acorn
Jun 13, 2010, 02:43 PM
How do you gain sympathy by remaining anonymous? :confused:

sympathy for illegals, not for this person. You are trying pretty hard here.

skunk
Jun 13, 2010, 03:12 PM
Justice is more important than empathy, and I am not a teenager so I don't know what you are getting at.What you call "justice" is nothing but authoritarianism, and true justice is nothing without compassion.

sympathy for illegals, not for this person. You are trying pretty hard here.So you think this is a conspiracy to garner sympathy for all illegal immigrants? Seems like you are the one who is reaching here.

Zombie Acorn
Jun 13, 2010, 03:23 PM
So you think this is a conspiracy to garner sympathy for all illegal immigrants? Seems like you are the one who is reaching here.

Seems pretty convenient given the circumstances.

skunk
Jun 13, 2010, 03:25 PM
Seems pretty convenient given the circumstances.Convenient for whom? Which circumstances? These glib one-liners leave much to be desired.

Zombie Acorn
Jun 13, 2010, 03:32 PM
Convenient for whom? Which circumstances? These glib one-liners leave much to be desired.

Sympathizers with illegals, given the circumstances of Arizona's passage of actually enforcing immigration laws.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 03:35 PM
A facebook group hoping to save a life? God, people are stupid.

Eraserhead
Jun 13, 2010, 03:52 PM

:confused:, why? If people show they care and that the individual concerned is wanted I'm sure that's important to them.

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 04:39 PM

I think you're just too cynical. Facebook is acting as a medium to show suicidal people that there are others out there who care. Why is that stupid? Or is it just because it's on Facebook that you have a problem?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 04:47 PM
:confused:, why? If people show they care and that the individual concerned is wanted I'm sure that's important to them.

I think you're just too cynical. Facebook is acting as a medium to show suicidal people that there are others out there who care. Why is that stupid? Or is it just because it's on Facebook that you have a problem?

No. It's a way for people to pretend they've done something (like all those "show you care about AIDS in Africa" groups) without actually doing anything.

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 04:52 PM
No. It's a way for people to pretend they've done something (like all those "show you care about AIDS in Africa" groups) without actually doing anything.

So what? If it stops the person jumping then clearly all the people who joined would have done something. It's also about increasing awareness.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 04:56 PM
So what? If it stops the person jumping then clearly all the people who joined would have done something. It's also about increasing awareness.

Someone jumps off the Golden Gate Bridge every month. I'm sure the person who sent in that postcard already did the deed.

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
Someone jumps off the Golden Gate Bridge every month. I'm sure the person who sent in that postcard already did the deed.

that's the spirit. glass half full.....

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
that's the spirit. glass half full.....

You think it would change anything if I joined the Facebook group?

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 05:01 PM

And still a big group of people went to the bridge today to raise awareness and there are tshirts and other stuff being made about it, its profits being sent to a suicide hotline, which helps tons of people everyday.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:04 PM
And still a big group of people went to the bridge today to raise awareness and there are tshirts and other stuff being made about it, its profits being sent to a suicide hotline, which helps tons of people everyday.

The PostSecret guy is capitalizing on this? Sure, maybe 100% of the profit goes to his suicide hotline, but the Golden Gate event sounds like a good place to market his books.

Anyone been to the Golden Gate T-shirt event? Is he selling his books?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:08 PM
Who's selling the T-shirts? How do we know the proceeds go to the suicide hotline?

EDIT: what happened to the post I was replying to?

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 05:09 PM
Whatever.

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 05:09 PM
You think it would change anything if I joined the Facebook group?

The groups not there to change things that have happened, it's there to prevent things that may happen.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:10 PM
Whatever.

You got your post I was replying to deleted. Is that because it IS the post secret guy selling his books at this event?

The groups not there to change things that have happened, it's there to prevent things that may happen.
I never said anything about changing the past. I asked if me joining a facebook group would change anything? Would it prevent suicides in the future? Would it make me more likely to get spam trying to sell me the next PostSecret book?

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
You got your post I was replying to deleted. Is that because it IS the post secret guy selling his books at this event?

No, it's because I deleted it.

The Facebook Group and the event weren't created by PostSecret, they were created by people who saw the postcard and wanted to show their support. Someone thought of doing tshirts for the people who couldn't go to San Francisco still be able to show their support and give the proceeds to a suicide hotline.

Now what is wrong with people wanting to show that they care?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:15 PM
No, it's because I deleted it.

The Facebook Group and the event weren't created by PostSecret, they were created by people who saw the postcard and wanted to show their support. Someone thought of doing tshirts for the people who couldn't go to San Francisco still be able to show their support and give the proceeds to a suicide hotline.

Now what is wrong with people wanting to show that they care?

Nothing. I'm just saying it's wrong to suggest that Facebook can save a life (thread title).

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 05:17 PM
Nothing. I'm just saying it's wrong to suggest that Facebook can save a life (thread title).

And how do you know it can't?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:19 PM
And how do you know it can't?

Because websites don't DO anything.

People save lives.
Dogs save lives.
Mothers with children trapped under cars save lives.
Websites do not.

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
I never said anything about changing the past. I asked if me joining a facebook group would change anything? Would it prevent suicides in the future? Would it make me more likely to get spam trying to sell me the next PostSecret book?

hmm, I misinterpreted you post. Either way...."If I vote in the General Election will it do anything? What difference will one person make?"....seriously? Do you not get it? When people come together to support a cause s*** happens. If this group was hosted on a different medium would your opinion change? It seems like it's just because it's facebook that's giving you issues.

firestarter
Jun 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
Because websites don't DO anything.

People save lives.
Dogs save lives.
Mothers with children trapped under cars save lives.
Websites do not.

Yes, but how do people know to save a life?
How is information disseminated?
How is activism directed?

Your point is facile at best.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
hmm, I misinterpreted you post. Either way...."If I vote in the General Election will it do anything? What difference will one person make?"....seriously? Do you not get it? When people come together to support a cause s*** happens. If this group was hosted on a different medium would your opinion change? It seems like it's just because it's facebook that's giving you issues.

You're equating an election, something that actually decides future policy and leadership, with a facebook group, something often about "liking stuff". Do you want to retract your post, or have me tear it apart in a logical fallacies rant?

Yes, but how do people know to save a life?
How is information disseminated?
How is activism directed?

Your point is facile at best.
Is the correct answer Facebook? :D

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 05:33 PM
You're equating an election, something that actually decides future policy and leadership, with a facebook group, something often about "liking stuff". Do you want to retract your post, or have me tear it apart in a logical fallacies rant?

I'm trying to get the point across that the opinion of "will it really make a difference if I join?" is stupid. If all 50,000 people who joined had that opinion...there wouldn't be 50,000 people in the group. But go ahead, rant away. If all you can do is argue my analogy then clearly you're on loose footing.

Also...have you ever read any of the stuff on that site? There are often comments or postcards from individuals saying that the things they've read on the site have helped them through difficult situations, even helping them get through suicidal feelings. Websites can save lives. I believe that 100%

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm trying to get the point across that the opinion of "will it really make a difference if I join?" is stupid.The fact remains that a Facebook group does nothing, while an election actually decides some important things. Therefore you made no point. Unless you can find something important that does nothing (like Facebook) that relates in the same way as an election.

If all 50,000 people who joined had that opinion...there wouldn't be 50,000 people in the group. But go ahead, rant away. If all you can do is argue my analogy then you're clearly on loose footing. And joining the group does what exactly?

Also...have you ever read any of the stuff on that site? There are often comments or postcards from individuals saying that the things they've read on the site have helped them through difficult situations, even helping them get through suicidal feelings. Websites can save lives. I believe that 100%
Of course. I'm a big PostSecret fan. I have several of the books and have purchased some as gifts for friends. That doesn't make this Facebook ordeal any less stupid.

If people believe that their lives were saved by something they read on the internet that was not directed at them, then those people need to take a long look at themselves and how they interpret the world. In my opinion it's just sad and lame.

ethical
Jun 13, 2010, 05:52 PM
The fact remains that a Facebook group does nothing, while an election actually decides some important things. Therefore you made no point. Unless you can find something important that does nothing (like Facebook) that relates in the same way as an election.

Of course. I'm a big PostSecret fan. I have several of the books and have purchased some as gifts for friends. That doesn't make this Facebook ordeal any less stupid.

If people believe that their lives were saved by something they read on the internet that was not directed at them, then those people need to take a long look at themselves and how they interpret the world. In my opinion it's just sad and lame.
It's only in your opinion that the group does nothing, and unless you've been in a position where you're having suicidal feelings, I don't think you're one to comment on how effective words on an internet site may be.

Do you think lives can be saved by what people read in books? Or do you only believe in physical healing? Let them jump and see if our machines can bring them back to life...anything else is pointless.

skunk
Jun 13, 2010, 06:34 PM
If people believe that their lives were saved by something they read on the internet that was not directed at them, then those people need to take a long look at themselves and how they interpret the world. In my opinion it's just sad and lame.If you don't believe that anybody can be affected by anything they read on the internet, why on earth are you wasting your time posting your sad, lame and ineffectual opinions?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 06:36 PM
If you don't believe that anybody can be affected by anything they read on the internet, why on earth are you wasting your time posting your sad, lame and ineffectual opinions?

That's not what I said, don't twist my words, skunk. Let me revise: People making a big anti-suicide facebook group likely won't stop someone from committing suicide.

skunk
Jun 13, 2010, 06:46 PM
That's not what I said, don't twist my words, skunk. Let me revise: People making a big anti-suicide facebook group likely won't stop someone from committing suicide.Oh, it's "likely won't" now, is it?

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 06:49 PM
That's not what I said, don't twist my words, skunk. Let me revise: People making a big anti-suicide facebook group likely won't stop someone from committing suicide.

How is Facebook different than any other site on the web? So you admit that a website can make a difference but for some reason Facebook is exempt from that?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 06:49 PM
Oh, it's "likely won't" now, is it?

Really skunk? You want me to somehow make an absolute assumption without gathering any data? If one single life is saved by some delusional person browsing facebook I can't account for that.

What sort of statement are you looking for me to make? Facebook is an effective way to prevent suicide?

skunk
Jun 13, 2010, 06:53 PM
What sort of statement are you looking for me to make?I'm not looking for you to make any statement. It is you who seems intent on making statements, on the internet, belittling people who use the internet.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'm not looking for you to make any statement. It is you who seems intent on making statements, on the internet, belittling people who use the internet.

Quote where I have belittled those who use the internet. I use the internet, so I'm sure I did not.

anjinha
Jun 13, 2010, 06:57 PM
Quote where I have belittled those who use the internet. I use the internet, so I'm sure I did not.

:rolleyes:

Really skunk? You want me to somehow make an absolute assumption without gathering any data? If one single life is saved by some delusional person browsing facebook I can't account for that.

.Andy
Jun 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
I see that anjinhamarota and raise you a;

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 13, 2010, 07:04 PM

That's not belittling people who use the internet. That's belittling people who find a life changing bit of content while perusing the internet.

Take what I say at face value, don't extrapolate.

P-Worm
Jun 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
I got to side with TuffLuffJimmy here. What exactly does a facebook group against suicide accomplish? Do people contemplating suicide really think to themselves "I wish a bunch of people that I don't know and who have never met me would say they care"?

Should we start up an Internet where people sign that they don't want evil to exist? Maybe we can get rid of evil as long as we get enough signatures?

For real change to happen, real things need to be done. Joining a facebook group and making T-Shirts is completely superficial. If we want to change suicide rates, we can start with calling the people with think might be having a hard time and talking to them. But clicking a link that says "I hate suicide" is simply a waste of time.

P-Worm

ethical
Jun 14, 2010, 02:18 AM
I got to side with TuffLuffJimmy here. What exactly does a facebook group against suicide accomplish? Do people contemplating suicide really think to themselves "I wish a bunch of people that I don't know and who have never met me would say they care"?
so you've been in the shoes of someone wanting to commit suicide, and can say that that thought doesn't run through their mind at some point? I'm willing to bet that when you're that desperate and that close to the edge, anyone telling you they care is a boost. Especially messages like “If I knew when you’d be at the bridge, I’d drive all the way from Ohio to meet you there, and hold you until you changed your mind.”

Should we start up an Internet where people sign that they don't want evil to exist? Maybe we can get rid of evil as long as we get enough signatures?

this doesn't really make sense in this context....

For real change to happen, real things need to be done. Joining a facebook group and making T-Shirts is completely superficial. If we want to change suicide rates, we can start with calling the people with think might be having a hard time and talking to them. But clicking a link that says "I hate suicide" is simply a waste of time.
P-Worm
Not everyone is simply clicking the link. Many people are leaving supportive messages, and we've already seen that those can make a difference (even if it is only for the sad and lame).

mscriv
Jun 14, 2010, 09:17 AM
That's not belittling people who use the internet. That's belittling people who find a life changing bit of content while perusing the internet.

For real change to happen, real things need to be done.

How about a little "expert" opinion here. I've worked with suicidal people of all ages for many years and I'm saddened by the negativity I'm reading in this thread. While I understand your cynicism I don't think you understand suicide at all. The primary motivator for individuals that are genuinely contemplating ending their life is loss of hope. Whatever it is they are stuggling with seems like it will never end and there is no belief that they can ever get past it. They don't think or feel recovery is possible.

In these circumstances one of the most effective and successful ways to support the person is to genuinely join with them in their struggle without judgement and provide hope that they can endure and survive.

To say the internet can not be a starting place for someone who is suicidal is just ridiculous. We never know what is going to give that person the hope they need just to make it through the next 24 hours. I've had patients tell me they were ready to "do it", but they held off because of a TV commercial they saw or a seemingly insignificant act of kindness they happened to witness.

The internet is simply a tool. If someone uses a group or a website to connect with genuine people then it is helpful. Saying a suicide website is "just text and pictures on screen" is like saying a suicide hotline is just a "voice on the phone". The point is to use as many ways as possible to encourage people who are suicidal to take the initiative to get the help they need.

Zombie Acorn
Jun 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
If a fleeting commercial or the lady at mcdonalds saying thanks makes you quit contemplating suicide you probably weren't that serious about it to start with.

mscriv
Jun 14, 2010, 10:32 AM
"Your honor, regarding the claim that the individual in question does not truly understand what he is talking about... may I present exhibit A."

If a fleeting commercial or the lady at mcdonalds saying thanks makes you quit contemplating suicide you probably weren't that serious about it to start with.

"While this evidence does provide proof of insentivity and arrogance, we simply present it for the purpose of demonstrating ignorance. The plaintiff has obviously waved his right to voluntary self-incrimination. "

Truly sad. I sincerely hope that if you ever find yourself in need of support and encouragement that people show you more compassion than you are presenting here. :(

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
Agreed.
"Your honor, regarding the claim that the individual in question does not truly understand what he is talking about... may I present exhibit A."

"While this evidence does provide proof of insentivity and arrogance, we simply present it for the purpose of demonstrating ignorance. The plaintiff has obviously waved his right to voluntary self-incrimination. "

Truly sad. I sincerely hope that if you ever find yourself in need of support and encouragement that people show you more compassion than you are presenting here. :(

I don't think you understand at all what we're saying. Of course I wouldn't brush off someone I think, or is suicidal, but I definitely wouldn't think to say "here man, check out this facebook group. It's got two million people and none of them want you to kill yourself." Suicide help does not come from a facebook group. Simple as that.

skunk
Jun 14, 2010, 01:39 PM
Suicide help does not come from a facebook group. Simple as that.It must be so comforting to know this stuff.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 14, 2010, 01:41 PM
It must be so comforting to know this stuff.

Just as you know god doesn't exist. The simplest answer is usually the answer, skunk. I also don't know Facebook does not cure AIDS. Would you like to debate that one?

ethical
Jun 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
Just as you know god doesn't exist. The simplest answer is usually the answer, skunk. I also don't know Facebook does not cure AIDS. Would you like to debate that one?

You're comparing curing AIDS with suicide prevention? Hardly the same do you not think?

mscriv
Jun 14, 2010, 02:15 PM
I don't think you understand at all what we're saying. Of course I wouldn't brush off someone I think, or is suicidal, but I definitely wouldn't think to say "here man, check out this facebook group. It's got two million people and none of them want you to kill yourself." Suicide help does not come from a facebook group. Simple as that.

What I'm trying to help some of you understand is that people who struggle with suicidal ideation and depression often don't disclose their feelings to others. For this reason it is commonly an anonymous medium that serves as the first step towards getting the help they need. The information and encouragement they receive through that website, pamphlet, televison show, movie, book, etc. helps them find the courage to reach out and talk to an actual person.

I don't think anyone in this thread, especially the OP, is stating that PostSecret or a Facebook group are going to be all any suicidal or depressed individual needs to find their way back to positive mental health. It's a starting place, a way to provide education, awareness, and hope, not a substitute for treament. Don't be confused, there is a distinct difference between raising awareness about an issue, raising money for that cause, providing education about effective treatment, and the actual process of treatment itself. C'mon, seriously, no one thinks that buying a Lance Armstrong bracelet is going to make you lose weight, but going on his website might give you some needed information and motivation to call a personal trainer, join a gym, or set up an appointment with a nutritionist. It's the same for any other website or group that targets an issue and in this specific case the issue is suicide.

My other concern with some of the posts in this thread is the careless manner and negativity regarding this story and it's relationship to the issue. I mention the key aspect of helping people find hope because on a public forum like this you never know who is reading what you are writing and what is going on in their life. Someone could be struggling with suicidal ideation, do a net search, and find this thread. The negative remarks made could be all the demotivation or rationalization a person suffering with depression needs to dismiss the oppotunity for help. Instead of thinking, "hey, maybe I should check out that website or group and see what they are saying" the negative, cynical, and stigmatizing comments made could easily serve to only further their thinking and feeling that "no one cares, they don't understand, something's wrong with me if I can't get over this" etc. etc..

The whole reason this is a positive story is that people want to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem, or worse yet, a cynical bystander who sits on the sideline doing nothing but spouting negative commentary.

skunk
Jun 14, 2010, 02:20 PM
Just as you know god doesn't exist.I know no such thing. I simply see no reason to suppose that any deity exists.

.Andy
Jun 14, 2010, 02:36 PM
Suicide help does not come from a facebook group. Simple as that.
No. Suicide help comes from, and needs to come from everywhere. And at all times. People need to know that they have hope and are not alone in feeling how they do. Using popular media to spread this message and raise awareness is perfectly valid initiative.

Zombie Acorn
Jun 14, 2010, 03:01 PM

With one in 10-20 people who attempt suicide actually dieing I don't have the sympathy to waste. If people were serious about dieing they would choose a proper method.

I don't need compassion, I have an ego.

ravenvii
Jun 14, 2010, 03:13 PM
Well, I'm not suicidal or anything, but when I was in law school, it sucked. Really sucked. Oftentimes I'd surf the internet to read about other people's experiences during law school, and how they thought it sucked, too. And I occasionally would post here (and on another forum) complaining about how much it sucks, or asking people for exit strategies, etc.

The responses here and on the other forum helped in a small way - it shows that people felt the same way, and also showed others who have ideas or simply support. It wasn't much, many of those people probably spent five seconds reading my post, and another second or two typing a quick response.

I survived law school. No, the above wasn't the primary support, or even close. But they're something.

I'm a (mostly) normal person who doesn't contemplate suicide, but I think the underlying concepts are pretty similar except on a different scale, with them it's life, not law school.

Even if someone contemplating suicide decides to put it off one more day after reading the feel-good stuff going on, that's worth it, I think. That's another 24 hours for someone to step in, or even for them to change their minds. Sort of like in that movie "The Mist," where if the father just waits a few more minutes before shooting his son, the army would've came rolling in to blow away the aliens.

I'm just saying I don't agree with those who say this is worthless, and that only sad and lame people peruse the internet for support.

ravenvii
Jun 14, 2010, 03:14 PM
With one in 10-20 people who attempt suicide actually dieing I don't have the sympathy to waste. If people were serious about dieing they would choose a proper method.

... I've gotten an infraction because of you, and I really want to do it again here.

But I'll leave it up to your imagination. :mad:

skunk
Jun 14, 2010, 03:15 PM
With one in 10-20 people who attempt suicide actually dieing I don't have the sympathy to waste. If people were serious about dieing they would choose a proper method.Callous =/= clever.

I don't need compassion, I have an ego.You may need compassion on that score alone. Some egos are a huge burden.

.Andy
Jun 14, 2010, 03:16 PM

The only thing you have is an entirely transparent and escalating compulsion to try and inflame threads.

mscriv
Jun 14, 2010, 03:40 PM

Hello bait, let me introduce you to self control and refusal to fan the flames.

Well, it looks like we've come upon something we can agree on. Except I would use the term Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

The essential feature of NPD is a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and lack of empathy that begins by early adulthood and is present in a variety of contexts. Indviduals with this disorder have a grandiose sense of self-importance.

Please keep in mind that this is not PRSI and I don't believe the OP wants it to go there since that is not where it was originally posted.

;) :(

Zombie Acorn
Jun 14, 2010, 03:55 PM
... I've gotten an infraction because of you, and I really want to do it again here.

It wasn't by my hand, as I don't report posts.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 14, 2010, 04:07 PM

Someone else made you get an infraction? No one here can make you get an infraction.
Well, it looks like we've come upon something we can agree on. Except I would use the term Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's always funny when people without PHDs diagnose people they have never met through an online forum.
Please keep in mind that this is not PRSI and I don't believe the OP wants it to go there since that is not where it was originally posted.

Fair enough, I'll be on my way. Go and save the world with facebook!

ravenvii
Jun 14, 2010, 05:22 PM
Someone else made you get an infraction? No one here can make you get an infraction.

Made? Make? Where'd that word come from?

Ahh, wait a minute. Perhaps you're right and we all bleeding heart types are delusional. I mean, I couldn't see the word in my own post.

Thank you for saving the day - I'll be seeing a psychologist shortly!

mscriv
Jun 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
It's always funny when people without PHDs diagnose people they have never met through an online forum.

First, you don't have to have a doctorate or be a psychiatrist to diagnose, just a professional license. That means LCSW, LPC, or LMFT. As far as diagnosing over the internet, well, I'm just that good. ;) :D

absolut_mac
Jun 14, 2010, 09:29 PM
Deport him and then he won't be able to jump off the bridge.

Come on - I'm all for deporting illegals, but that doesn't mean that I want them to die or kill themselves.

Have a little compassion for your fellow travelers, we only sojourn here for a few decades. Make the most of it!

Ttownbeast
Jun 14, 2010, 10:39 PM
I don't know has the word "hoax" come to anyone's mind?

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 14, 2010, 10:44 PM
I don't know has the word "hoax" come to anyone's mind?

Good point. I'm sure a fair share of the postcards are embellished. People will do anything to get on a website.

anjinha
Jun 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
Good point. I'm sure a fair share of the postcards are embellished. People will do anything to get on a website.

They're anonymous.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 14, 2010, 11:05 PM
They're anonymous.

So are web forums and people make up outrageous stories here for attention too.

MattSepeta
Jun 15, 2010, 11:01 AM
Spot on. I don't believe a word of anything I see on ridiculous sites like postsecret, f my life, last nights texts, etc...

I imagine it's a lot easier to be shamelessly narcissistic behind a computer monitor under an anonymous guise.