PDA

View Full Version : How Is Your Mac Connected To The Internet?

MacBytes
Oct 18, 2004, 08:24 AM
Category: Polls
Link: How Is Your Mac Connected To The Internet? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041018092411)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

wdlove
Oct 18, 2004, 01:49 PM
I seem to be in the minority when ti comes to broadband. My connection is via DSL. At the moment I just don't want to go through the hassle of changing.

DSL Modem Connection
184 (32%)

Cable Modem/Broadband
325 (57%

wrldwzrd89
Oct 18, 2004, 01:52 PM
I'm a cable modem user myself.

Blue Velvet
Oct 18, 2004, 02:06 PM
:o

Dial up (eeewww) for just another 6 weeks or so...

...then 512 ADSL (woo-hoo!) :)

Could get 1mb for another 10 or so pcm but as I've got that at work it's not too much of a problem.

Nermal
Oct 18, 2004, 02:48 PM
Slow DSL at the moment, with faster DSL ordered a month ago and still not installed yet :mad:

bousozoku
Oct 18, 2004, 02:58 PM
Another unreachable article from Mac360? Geez.

Anyway, I'm currently using DSL but that could change at any moment, if BellSouth doesn't fix their DNS problems. Cable is not a good idea though, since video on demand takes away bandwidth.

kronos2611
Oct 18, 2004, 03:04 PM
1Mbit ADSL, a bit pricey from Pipex, but the service has been great.

cluthz
Oct 18, 2004, 03:04 PM
W-Lan 802.11 (and not any letters..) 2.8 mbit longrange
(It has never ever been close to 2.8 mbit...)

edesignuk
Oct 18, 2004, 03:05 PM
My trusty old Motorola Surfboard 3100 cable modem, started off giving me broadband a few years back at 512kbps, now serving me up the internet at 3mpbs :cool:

Bob Knob
Oct 18, 2004, 03:41 PM
Cable is not a good idea though, since video on demand takes away bandwidth.

That was part of a big sales pitch by the DSL providers in my area, but in reality it didn't hold water.
I was a beta tester for RoadRunner (cable modem) years ago, at that time there was no DSL option.
Last year one of the neighborhood geeks did a survey, and wound up getting lots of replies. He was asking if you had cable or DSL and what your peaks and valleys were in terms of speed, and when they happened. What he found out was that the area is about 2/3 cable, and even the lower speed rates on cable during "congested times" were still faster then the highest rates stated by the DSL users. So at least in my area cable is the way to go.

bousozoku
Oct 18, 2004, 03:53 PM
That was part of a big sales pitch by the DSL providers in my area, but in reality it didn't hold water.
I was a beta tester for RoadRunner (cable modem) years ago, at that time there was no DSL option.
Last year one of the neighborhood geeks did a survey, and wound up getting lots of replies. He was asking if you had cable or DSL and what your peaks and valleys were in terms of speed, and when they happened. What he found out was that the area is about 2/3 cable, and even the lower speed rates on cable during "congested times" were still faster then the highest rates stated by the DSL users. So at least in my area cable is the way to go.

I've heard people moan about the dip in speed after schools let out and after work lets out. It could just be that Time-Warner (now BrightHouse Networks) just didn't plan well for capacity.

I've considered changing so I'll have full cable again but I don't consider it a priority. I may be moving back to Philly/Jersey anyway.

Lancetx
Oct 18, 2004, 04:19 PM
I'm using SBC/Yahoo DSL here because it's $25 per month less before taxes than what the local cable company is gouging people for their service. It's only about half the speed of the cable internet service, but it's also half the price once you factor in taxes. I've also had fewer service outages with the DSL service than I did when I had cable.

g4cubed
Oct 19, 2004, 08:45 AM
I've heard people moan about the dip in speed after schools let out and after work lets out. It could just be that Time-Warner (now BrightHouse Networks) just didn't plan well for capacity.

I've considered changing so I'll have full cable again but I don't consider it a priority. I may be moving back to Philly/Jersey anyway.
I use cable from Armstrong and haven't had to much of a drop at those peak hours. :p

iMeowbot
Oct 19, 2004, 08:50 AM
DSL for me. I don't have a TV, so cable is kind of superfluous.

JeDiBoYTJ
Oct 19, 2004, 10:11 AM
Wireless to 1Mb DSL, upgraded to 3Mb recently but still hasnt been implemented yet :mad:

yellow
Oct 19, 2004, 10:51 AM
@Home: Overpriced, "underspeed" (1.5Mbps (yeah right!) d/386Kbps u) DSL, paid for by my work, so I cannot b!t*h too much.

@Work: It's just too fast and it spoils me. Connected to a 100Mbps router, real-world speeds is probably 15Mbps up and down. Totally spoils me, which might be why I complain so much about my home DSL speed.

crazy norwegian
Oct 19, 2004, 06:49 PM
Satellite (StarBand) from home (we live in a very rural area) and dial at home for on-line gaming. At work, we have a 768K radio link serving our free public hotspot via a 802.11g SMC wireless router. I just got a 17" PowerBook, and it works pretty well.

If you are ever on the South Coast of Oregon, stop in at "The Crazy Norwegian's Fish and Chips" in Port Orford and say hi.

crazy n

brap
Oct 19, 2004, 07:04 PM
512-256k, soon to be 1024-256k ADSL, because Cable Ain't Here Yet(tm).

BT Broadband, horribly overpriced, under specified crap. Mercifully we live without TV, because non-cable TV (ie Sky digital) costs an arm and a leg to install :(

dubbz
Oct 19, 2004, 07:07 PM
2 Mbit SDSL...(shared with two friends, plus two other families... not that we've ever noticed). Fast enough for most stuff. You can never have enough, though :)

Edit: It's Catch, btw. Don't think they operate outside of Norway.