PDA

View Full Version : New Service Launched to "Rip" CD Collections to iPods

MacBytes
Oct 18, 2004, 08:24 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: New Service Launched to \"Rip\" CD Collections to iPods (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041018092434)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

wordmunger
Oct 18, 2004, 08:32 AM
Sure.... I'll send my iPod and my entire CD collection to some no-name "company" I've never heard of. Makes tons of sense. No mention of security or insurance on the entire site. Or who's behind the thing.

The best part is they disable "auto-sync," so you'll never be able to sync your iPod again (or risk losing all that music....).

Seems like it would be better if they ripped your CDs to MP3 DVDs that you could import into iTunes. Then you could still use auto-sync.

Diatribe
Oct 18, 2004, 08:42 AM
Awesome, I'll open up a company too and do the same with Powermacs and Powerbooks. After 50 people have sent their stuff I'll leave the country. :D
Disable autosync.... oh well, not really worth discussing.

But I have seen companies that rip your CD collection at your home, to your computer. Makes more sense to me.

ac2102
Oct 18, 2004, 10:38 AM
and yet another iRipoff of the apple site. Well you know what they say about imitation!

munkle
Oct 18, 2004, 10:55 AM
Awesome, I'll open up a company too and do the same with Powermacs and Powerbooks. After 50 people have sent their stuff I'll leave the country. :D
Disable autosync.... oh well, not really worth discussing.

But I have seen companies that rip your CD collection at your home, to your computer. Makes more sense to me.

Yeah I know. Do people realise that you can't transfer your music from pod to computer, without additional third party software that is. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me but it is cheaper than some of the others CD ripping services I've seen. People must be using them as they seem to be popping up over the place, who are these people??! :confused: :p

t300
Oct 18, 2004, 10:59 AM
These are FAR from new and have been around for a long while... Hell, I have even made some money doing this on the side.

nagromme
Oct 18, 2004, 11:17 AM
A ripping service makes good sense--it's a long and tedious process if you have a lot of music. I'm surprised just how fast and easy iTunes makes it, but it's still a big task. So if you don't have the time or inclination, pay someone to do it. (Especially if they attach album art, which I've done via Clutter when ripping family members' CD collections.)

This one doesn't sound ideal, though, unless maybe you don't own a computer! Ideally, you should load the person's COMPUTER, which will then auto-synch their iPod. Not load their iPod directly. But if there's a niche that wants this, more power to them.

A better service might be one that sends you DVD-ROM(s) of rips, in your choice of MP3 or AAC, already in an organized "iTunes" folder, ready to drop onto your HD.

And I agree, as with many kinds of service... trust is important. I'd choose one that got good reviews and had been around a while, if I were ever to use such a thing.