PDA

View Full Version : Trafford Centre iPhone 4 Launch?

Pointer
Jun 13, 2010, 03:12 PM
Who will be at the Trafford Centre for the launch of the iPhone 4? I'm almost certain to be there, hopefully in the short "I have one reserved!" queue.

Simbazz
Jun 13, 2010, 03:25 PM
There's a distinct possibility I'll be there! Seeing as its the closest!

Agent-W
Jun 15, 2010, 04:18 AM
I'll be there! Just reserved my 32GB for collection on the 24th!

Has anyone reserved and collected at the Apple store at the Trafford Centre before? Any idea how long the line was? I'm hoping not too long!

jimmybuk
Jun 15, 2010, 04:41 AM
I'll be there too, ive just reserved a 16gb. :D

Pointer
Jun 15, 2010, 01:07 PM
Well have reserved a 16gb for pickup on Thursday 24th. Now just need to figure out what time I get there. Early doors and get towards the front of the line or mid morning when the line has hopefully gone down a bit.

vortexUK
Jun 15, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'll be there - question is how early?! Anyone else been to a launch at the TC before?

Jason-Houghton
Jun 16, 2010, 06:24 AM
hahaha im getting mine from traff.

Jason-Houghton
Jun 16, 2010, 06:25 AM
I'll be there - question is how early?! Anyone else been to a launch at the TC before?

opens at 10am. dont think there will be a line

vortexUK
Jun 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Store is opening 8am for the launch!

Jason-Houghton
Jun 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
Store is opening 8am for the launch!

which one? apple or the o2 stores? cos im gonna get it from the o2 stores.

vortexUK
Jun 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
which one? apple or the o2 stores? cos im gonna get it from the o2 stores.

Apple store opens at 8, what makes you go to O2? are you not able to upgrage at Apple?

Jason-Houghton
Jun 16, 2010, 03:22 PM
Apple store opens at 8, what makes you go to O2? are you not able to upgrage at Apple?

im on o2 simplicity, so i wana buy the o2 payg version which will hopefully be subsidised a little. rather than buy the 499 unlocked one from apple.

vortexUK
Jun 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
im on o2 simplicity, so i wana buy the o2 payg version which will hopefully be subsidised a little. rather than buy the 499 unlocked one from apple.

Ahh I see - well have fun!

I want to see these "bumper cases" before I buy one! Can't make up my mind whether I want one or one of these gumdrop cases (http://www.gumdropcases.com/motoskin-iphone-4g-case.html)

Jason-Houghton
Jun 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
well looks like o2 isnt offering PAYG at launch so im buying it from apple store. im angry because I could have pre ordered on the 15 and got one on the day, but i waited. o2 are so rubbish, now i have to wait like another month. the guys at apple store trafford centre said there might be people in line from 3am!!!! Looks like my chances of getting one at launch are slim.

hannahjayne
Jun 20, 2010, 05:56 AM
well looks like o2 isnt offering PAYG at launch so im buying it from apple store. im angry because I could have pre ordered on the 15 and got one on the day, but i waited. o2 are so rubbish, now i have to wait like another month. the guys at apple store trafford centre said there might be people in line from 3am!!!! Looks like my chances of getting one at launch are slim.

I wonder where they're going to queue at that time. TC doors won't open until 7, so if people get there before then there will be little queues at different doors and then a mad sprint when the doors open. Crazy.

Jason-Houghton
Jun 20, 2010, 06:14 AM
I wonder where they're going to queue at that time. TC doors won't open until 7, so if people get there before then there will be little queues at different doors and then a mad sprint when the doors open. Crazy.

I used to work there are sometimes i started at 6am and the doors were always open, i think they are open all the time, just all the shutters are down, haha

TheChillPill
Jun 20, 2010, 08:44 AM
I'll be at TC for launch, though I think I'll have to use an O2 Store as I need a business contract, which I don't think Apple are able to do.

Oddly, the O2 stores in TC are not opening early (most other O2 stores are opening at 8:02am). Hopefully this may change though, as they always have opened early for previous launches.

FYI - Full list of stores opening early can be found here - http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/storeopeningtimes.html

gkirsty89
Jun 20, 2010, 01:57 PM
How do you reserve the iPhone4? Just phone the store you wish to pick it up from? Do you have to put a deposit down or anything? Or just leave your name and a few details? I haven't reserved anything before, but if it gives me a bigger chance of getting the iPhone4 on the 24th Im going to ring up.

Kirsty :)

TheChillPill
Jun 20, 2010, 02:03 PM
How do you reserve the iPhone4? Just phone the store you wish to pick it up from? Do you have to put a deposit down or anything? Or just leave your name and a few details? I haven't reserved anything before, but if it gives me a bigger chance of getting the iPhone4 on the 24th Im going to ring up.

Kirsty :)

O2 Stores aren't offering a reserve option, it's a case of turn up and hope for the best (and you have to be an o2 customer). Other stores may be different (Vodafone etc).

Apple are no longer taking reservations, so again it's a case of turning up very early and hoping they have some available.

leenoble
Jun 23, 2010, 06:37 AM
I've been umming and aahing over whether or not to try to get an iPhone4 on Thursday morning. I was planning on arriving around 7am. I've already ordered one from Apple but that won't be here until 15th July.

I thought I'd have no chance of getting one by standing in line, until I saw on the Apple retail site that Trafford store was opening early on Thursday AND Friday. They must know they're going to have stock on Friday to be opening early again. Think it's worth waiting until Friday?

Bobcarolgees
Jun 23, 2010, 07:28 AM
That's excellent news! I was planning on getting there mega early but I've got to work till 10 now so can't get there till 10:30 :(
Fingers crossed they still have some 32 giggers left!
If not I'm gonna wait for a white one :)

Holty123
Jun 23, 2010, 07:40 AM
I have a friend well two, one works at an Apple store the other at an o2 store, they have plenty of stock at both! the low stock level that is leaked by apple,o2.vodaphone etc etc is to create a frenzy so that guys like us queue outside said stores hype hype hype, same when the 3g and 3gs came out remember when you couldn't buy an iphone for months? all done on purpose. still wont stop us queuing though.
ps my friend at the Apple store told me that they have in the past had plenty of stock but saved it for the Saturday/Sunday customers!

good luck everyone anyway this week
macintime

luciferuk
Jun 23, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hi, for all peoples help (even though this could be bad for me as I want one too)

Apparently car parks are all closed until 5am. Doors open from 5:30am for those wanting to queue.

Security staff have upped their numbers in advance to control the obvious queue issues. For this reason they are controlling entry through one entrance (the Boot's entrance) so as to not have multiple queues from all directions. Again, TC are opening one entrance for this reason.

Seriously, I'm mad posting this as it's not going to help my cause in getting an iPhone 4 but there you go he he. If you want, call Manchester Trafford Centre to confirm my post info 0161 746 7777 (management suite)

Hope this helps all, I'll be the guy in an Apple t-shirt doh.. Good Luck!! :-)

leenoble
Jun 23, 2010, 09:14 AM
Can somebody PM me a mobile number if you're definitely going Thu a.m, so I can ask you if it's worth me coming. I've got to come from south cheshire and I doubt I can get there before 7 as I have to walk the dog first. You might get word from staff that a cut-off point has been established.

Gamst
Jun 23, 2010, 09:23 AM
I have a friend well two, one works at an Apple store the other at an o2 store, they have plenty of stock at both! the low stock level that is leaked by apple,o2.vodaphone etc etc is to create a frenzy so that guys like us queue outside said stores hype hype hype, same when the 3g and 3gs came out remember when you couldn't buy an iphone for months? all done on purpose. still wont stop us queuing though.
ps my friend at the Apple store told me that they have in the past had plenty of stock but saved it for the Saturday/Sunday customers!

good luck everyone anyway this week
macintime

That's got to be bollocks surely!? They hold back stock and deny paying customers to create hype? If anyone doesn't end up getting one on Friday simply quote this post ;)

vortexUK
Jun 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
Can somebody PM me a mobile number if you're definitely going Thu a.m, so I can ask you if it's worth me coming. I've got to come from south cheshire and I doubt I can get there before 7 as I have to walk the dog first. You might get word from staff that a cut-off point has been established.

I can confirm this is indeed correct! I rung up yesterday about it! See you all there!

Helenlister
Jun 23, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm in the queue now, been here about half an hour and there were already about 20 people lined up. My husband and son are in the reservations queue but as mine was a last minute (surprise for me :)) I am having to wait in the other much longer queue for purchases.

Helen

abcdefghijklmno
Jun 24, 2010, 02:23 AM
I have a reservation for today, can't get there until ~4pm so hoping the queues will have eased by then.... :-)

A

seb1987
Jun 24, 2010, 03:25 AM
i have just got back from the trafford centre with my new iphone!!! got there at 5am and there was about 10 ppl queing in the reservation que love it!!!! was out for 8am :))

TheChillPill
Jun 24, 2010, 03:39 AM
Just got back from TC too, got there around 5.45 and the reservation line already had 20 or so people in it and the other line 60 or 70.

By the time I left at 8.40, both lines were huge - at least 100 people in the reservation line and 400 in the other line. A lot of people won't get an iPhone from there today.

Phones4U was empty though, Orange had half a dozen people queuing and around 20 people at the o2 shop I passed (there are 2 in there, so not sure how the other one was looking).

Apple store actually opened at 7am, which was a pleasant surprise as I was led to believe it would be 8am.

parkyy2k
Jun 24, 2010, 04:21 AM
Just got back from trafford centre, got my iphone 4 from carphone warehouse, got there at just got 9am, about 5-10 people in front of me. The apple shop's queue's were stupid - I don't understand why people don't just go carphone warehouse or o2...

leenoble
Jun 24, 2010, 05:55 AM
Just got back from the Trafford Centre. Got there about 5:30 and met Justin who apparently is on this board somewhere. If I had got there at 7 as planned it's safe to say I would have missed out, just like Shaun Murphy the snooker player who was some way behind us in the non-reserved cue (do you see what I did there).

The process seemed to be taking ages for everyone, but when I got in there I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

scb02
Jun 24, 2010, 09:26 AM
Just got back home now, got to the trafford centre at about 6am, was quite a few people there and I was quite far back in the queue, by the time everyone stood up and moved up thought I wasn't all that far back, got my phone at roughly 11.45 and was in an out within minutes!

parkyy2k
Jun 24, 2010, 12:29 PM
Can someone please tell me why on earth people went the apple store over the other phone shops knowing they'd be there hours?!

gazzzmoly
Jun 24, 2010, 12:55 PM
Can someone please tell me why on earth people went the apple store over the other phone shops knowing they'd be there hours?!

my reasoning was that apple ALWAYS have a few thousand in stock where as the majority of phone retailers usually have less than 50, i bought my 3g from an o2 i wanted a 32gb was third in the queue and had to buy a 16gb. they also only had 9 iphones total

jmorrison85
Jun 24, 2010, 02:50 PM
Just got back from the Trafford Centre. Got there about 5:30 and met Justin who apparently is on this board somewhere. If I had got there at 7 as planned it's safe to say I would have missed out, just like Shaun Murphy the snooker player who was some way behind us in the non-reserved cue (do you see what I did there).

The process seemed to be taking ages for everyone, but when I got in there I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Hi guys,

So that was my first apple product launch experience, High lights has to be the cheesy high fives and wooping from the apple staff haha free doughnuts and coffee! and lee telling Shaun Murphy "shame about the CUEING" ha-ha
i got there at 5.23 and didn't pick my phone up until around quarter to 11, there should of been a couple of queues for contract and sim free with a clear cut off with for people that where unfortunate and didn't manage to get one.

scb02
Jun 24, 2010, 03:05 PM
Anyone any ideas who the lad with the camera was at the TC? Walking around taking pictures and then stood in entrace way for a while?

Be good to see them pictures!

Holty123
Jun 24, 2010, 04:26 PM
That's got to be bollocks surely!? They hold back stock and deny paying customers to create hype? If anyone doesn't end up getting one on Friday simply quote this post ;)Sorry i know it's hard to believe but that's what he told me not saying it will happen this year but that's what he said, don't shoot the messenger!

cjb1118
Jun 24, 2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone any ideas who the lad with the camera was at the TC? Walking around taking pictures and then stood in entrace way for a while?

Be good to see them pictures!

I was wondering this too, hopefully someone knows.

chrisash32
Jun 24, 2010, 06:15 PM

Yeh me too!

I was the first guy out of the store with an iPhone 4 just after 7am when it opened. I has been in line since about 3:30am..
Well worth the wait, had a lovely time and was even more pleased I was the first purchase!

Did everyone else have a good time?

Chris

scb02
Jun 25, 2010, 03:22 AM

Surely he is off here lol? Where a bouts in queue was you mate?

Yeh me too!

I was the first guy out of the store with an iPhone 4 just after 7am when it opened. I has been in line since about 3:30am..
Well worth the wait, had a lovely time and was even more pleased I was the first purchase!

Did everyone else have a good time?

Chris

Yeah was my first launch got there just after 6 and got the phone 6 hours later lol, will be worth going earlier to the next one and getting out earlier lol!

Was good though!

andrewjheath
Jun 25, 2010, 05:41 AM
Really angry last night :mad:

Wife wanted to get an upgrade but we could only get there after 8pm. Got to the apple shop and was told that becuase i had't reserved one we could not have one, there was only 10 people in the queue, asked if they had enough stock if we waited, he said yes but we wont be selling you one becuase you didnt register.

Also the so called O2 stores only giving phones to O2 customers is a farse. Wife waiting 3 hours at a local store only to be told they had run out. Even though some people in front wheren't on O2.

Tried the trafford centre O2 stores and was turned away as they say they had no stock. But on there page today they do... arghhhh

Totally frustrated an we cant get there tonight till after 8pm. So looks like we won't be getting one.

cjb1118
Jun 25, 2010, 09:55 AM
Surely he is off here lol? Where a bouts in queue was you mate?

Probably. I was about 20th in the purchase queue. Had a good time, spoke to a few people there. The waiting didn't really drag at all and the service was great. Will likely get there a bit earlier next time though. Couldn't quite believe the size of the reserved queue when I left the shop at around 8:30am.

mkjj
Jun 25, 2010, 10:40 AM

Only place you can buy SIM Free

sheppy1
Jun 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
Probably. I was about 20th in the purchase queue. Had a good time, spoke to a few people there. The waiting didn't really drag at all and the service was great. Will likely get there a bit earlier next time though. Couldn't quite believe the size of the reserved queue when I left the shop at around 8:30am.

You were just ahead of me then, I was about 30th and was sat on on of the 2 bences, service was good wasn't it, I especially enjoyed the free donuts lol

cjb1118
Jun 25, 2010, 12:04 PM
You were just ahead of me then, I was about 30th and was sat on on of the 2 bences, service was good wasn't it, I especially enjoyed the free donuts lol

Oh yes the doughnuts were awesome, i'm glad there was time for seconds :p.

We need pictures in here if anyone has any.

sheppy1
Jun 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
Oh yes the doughnuts were awesome, i'm glad there was time for seconds :p.

We need pictures in here if anyone has any.

"Seconds", that guy came round at least 5 times lol and yea, we could do with tracking that guy down with the big camera, bet he took some decent shots, I saw some people at the front of the queue taking pictures too, wonder if they are from these forums? Would be good if they could post some of their pics

gazzzmoly
Jun 25, 2010, 02:18 PM
"Seconds", that guy came round at least 5 times lol and yea, we could do with tracking that guy down with the big camera, bet he took some decent shots, I saw some people at the front of the queue taking pictures too, wonder if they are from these forums? Would be good if they could post some of their pics

the guy with the beard ?? he is a genius works in the Trafford centre apple store.. he was there for the ipad launch as well.

i was the guy with the ginger hair and glasses lol arrived at about 5:20 and my wife had the cute baby lol......

and the guy from krispie kreme was like a drug pusher lol you know you want a donut

leenoble
Jun 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
He was very persistent that guy, although I think he was desperate to get shot of those last few trays as it wasn't too difficult to convince him to give me a whole box.

As well as Shaun Murphy there was a guy who used to be in Coronation Street yonks ago, but he turned up on spec at about 10am and had to walk away empty handed. It was this guy: http://www.corrie.net/profiles/characters/barnes_des.html

jmorrison85
Jun 25, 2010, 05:19 PM
i too would like to see some pictures! i have had a quick look on flickr but cannot find anything. There is a couple of movies on youtube but there not great.

sheppy1
Jun 25, 2010, 05:47 PM
the guy with the beard ?? he is a genius works in the Trafford centre apple store.. he was there for the ipad launch as well.

i was the guy with the ginger hair and glasses lol arrived at about 5:20 and my wife had the cute baby lol......

and the guy from krispie kreme was like a drug pusher lol you know you want a donut

Yea that was the guy, if he works there then he must have been taking the pictires for a reason, hopefully they will surface online somehwere...and yea that guy would only go away once you had taken 3 donuts off him lol, you weren't the guy who ended up with a full tray of them and had to walk down the line and offload them all on people were you?

leenoble
Jun 25, 2010, 05:54 PM
Nah, I persuaded the guy to find a box to put 3 doughnuts in as he had already tried and failed to get me to take one twice before. I was going to take them back to the office to sweeten the fact I was going to be 3 hours late for work. He kindly stuck half a dozen in there for me. I saw someone steal a tray about 5 people behind me, it may have been a consequence of having seem me get a box load for free. ;)

gazzzmoly
Jun 26, 2010, 04:08 AM
Nah, I persuaded the guy to find a box to put 3 doughnuts in as he had already tried and failed to get me to take one twice before. I was going to take them back to the office to sweeten the fact I was going to be 3 hours late for work. He kindly stuck half a dozen in there for me. I saw someone steal a tray about 5 people behind me, it may have been a consequence of having seem me get a box load for free. ;)

Where you the guy that was behind me? Where you pretty much outside the apple store when you got the box?

I was the guy that was with his wife and baby in the sling and pram. She brought me mc mcdonalds with the army style jumper on!

Stiss
Jun 26, 2010, 04:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA3Edjrqzd8

My video of the lap of honour the Apple employees did.

Someone else has made a video too from a different view and it shows me around 4 seconds in making my video in the cream hooded top.

leenoble
Jun 26, 2010, 04:16 AM
Where you the guy that was behind me? Where you pretty much outside the apple store when you got the box?

I was the guy that was with his wife and baby in the sling and pram. She brought me mc mcdonalds with the army style jumper on!

Yep, that was me. Bit of a coincidence for 3 people on this board to end up in the queue right next to eachother.

jmorrison85
Jun 27, 2010, 02:56 AM
Yep, that was me. Bit of a coincidence for 3 people on this board to end up in the queue right next to eachother.

Spookey! Lol :-)

Littleman
Jul 4, 2010, 08:06 AM
Just got back from Trafford Centre (Sunday).

Went to shop for clothes for daughter and there was a queue of about 5 people outside o2 shop. Sign said iphone 32gb only.
I don't have a phone contract with o2 so thought I wouldn't be able to get one. Manager said that restriction has now been lifted and I walked out (about 20 mins later) with a 32gb iphone4 with a new contract.
O2 didn't have any bumpers but apple shop (which didn't have any iphones) , had loads of black bumpers. Happy days!

Woman said they had 40 32gb at 10am and would sell out within the hour. Just lucky I suppose :)