Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Folks posted this in another thread:

iPad for me is a different matter as I type on my 32GB 3G iPad. At present an over rated and expensive large iPod Touch which is extremely limited in terms of what it could be and hopefully iPad OS4 will address much of that need like the ability to natively print rather than emailing to your home PC for example. For now iPad is another Steve Jobs beta product release program to avoid unless you have money to waste.

It's great for convenient browsing but seriously there has to be more to this $850 product that has the world in a frenzy..........educate me please .... I just don't feel the love :confused:

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
If you've used it and don't get it then it's obviously not for you and you don't need 'education'. Return it and get your money back.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
educate me please .... I just don't feel the love :confused:
Everyone has a different opinion, and I think the other 1000 threads on this EXACT SAME topic have pretty much every opinion already posted in them.

There is no need to start another redundant thread.

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Everyone has a different opinion, and I think the other 1000 threads on this EXACT SAME topic have pretty much every opinion already posted in them.

There is no need to start another redundant thread.

Apologies friend I don't frequent the iPad side of Macrumours so much so didn't intend to provoke your disdain.......that's me told :eek:

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Perhaps you need to be taught the value of money, not what to do with the stuff you bought and don't need.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
Folks posted this in another thread:

iPad for me is a different matter as I type on my 32GB 3G iPad. At present an over rated and expensive large iPod Touch which is extremely limited in terms of what it could be and hopefully iPad OS4 will address much of that need like the ability to natively print rather than emailing to your home PC for example. For now iPad is another Steve Jobs beta product release program to avoid unless you have money to waste.

It's great for convenient browsing but seriously there has to be more to this $850 product that has the world in a frenzy..........educate me please .... I just don't feel the love :confused:

It's definitely not for everyone. For me it has added another device that can access the internet, use calendar, mail, and address book functions. Before my wife and I were having to share my MacBook Pro and now one of us can use the MBP while the other uses the iPad.

Netflix is great on it. Although we usually watch Netflix together on the television there are times I may want to watch something that she isn't interested in and I can watch it on the iPad or the MBP without disturbing her. There is also iBooks and games which my wife uses both.

The best part about the iPad has to be the screen size and portability. Yeah, it is not as portable as an iPhone but it is as portable as a slim book and I can use it to check my email, calendar, address book, surf the internet, use Netflix, etc. while on the go or at work.

It is cheaper than a MacBook or MacBook Pro and as long as you own a computer the iPad can be an excellent replacement of a MB or MBP depending on your needs. For us the iPad is a perfect fit.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
...educate me please .... I just don't feel the love :confused:

FYI, I never enjoyed browsing the web on my iPhone. Too little screen real estate, slow, hard to read, etc. On my pad, though sometimes slow, it's much more enjoyable. And I never have owned a laptop so this was a good in between mobile device. I can still use my Mac for hardcore uses like graphic work and editing. This device suits my needs and always has potential with the AppStore.

Perhaps you need to be taught the value of money, not what to do with the stuff you bought and don't need.

Money is just dirty paper. If you don't spend it on something that makes your short life on this earth more enjoyable, you're misled about the so-called "value" you speak of. :cool:

Ipadq

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Bluethree said:
iPad....What am I missing?

APPLE FANBOYS: A functional brain? Now **** and get lost you troll.
ANDROID FANBOYS: Nothing, just shows you are way too smart.
EVO FANS: Come on over, Evo can do all that iPad can't!
IPAD OWNERS BUT NOT APPLE FANBOYS: *pull out their pre-purchase iPad cost benefit analysis sheets and start typing in landscape mode on their iPads carefully laying out the pros and cons.
99-YEAR-OLD GRANDMA WHOSE FIRST COMPUTER IS HER IPAD: Nothing. I on the other hand...
OTHER MACRUMOR REGULARS: *Facepalm*

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
APPLE FANBOYS: A functional brain? Now **** and get lost you troll.
ANDROID FANBOYS: Nothing, just shows you are way too smart.
EVO FANS: Come on over, Evo can do all that iPad can't!
IPAD OWNERS BUT NOT APPLE FANBOYS: *pull out their pre-purchase iPad cost benefit analysis sheets and start typing in landscape mode on their iPads carefully laying out the pros and cons.
99-YEAR-OLD GRANDMA WHOSE FIRST COMPUTER IS HER IPAD: Nothing. I on the other hand...
OTHER MACRUMOR REGULARS: *Facepalm*

Flmao........ Very good..... I can take the abuse lol

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
It's definitely not for everyone. For me it has added another device that can access the internet, use calendar, mail, and address book functions. Before my wife and I were having to share my MacBook Pro and now one of us can use the MBP while the other uses the iPad.

Netflix is great on it. Although we usually watch Netflix together on the television there are times I may want to watch something that she isn't interested in and I can watch it on the iPad or the MBP without disturbing her. There is also iBooks and games which my wife uses both.

The best part about the iPad has to be the screen size and portability. Yeah, it is not as portable as an iPhone but it is as portable as a slim book and I can use it to check my email, calendar, address book, surf the internet, use Netflix, etc. while on the go or at work.

It is cheaper than a MacBook or MacBook Pro and as long as you own a computer the iPad can be an excellent replacement of a MB or MBP depending on your needs. For us the iPad is a perfect fit.

Thanks for the constructive post.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I like mine. Reeder is pretty cool. As is pages. As is Papers. As is iAnnotate. And the kindle, borders, ibooks trio. Sounds like it's not your thing.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I bought a car, it sucked because I didn't know how to drive it.

Unless you live in a vacuum, there is a myriad of ways to research a purchase and know what it is going to do.

I didn't buy my iPad to replace anything in my life, I bought it to augment it. Reading in bed is so much better now that I don't have to take the laptop to bead. Sitting on the couch and reaching over to pull up IMDB.com to end an argument about a movie, is easier.

Handing it to my 3 year old to color and draw. I didn't buy it to print, because I haven't printed in about a year.

There is a lady where I work that prints EVERY single email and places it in a binder so she has it for reference, I suppose she has little use for the iPad. I've spent far more on far useless things. I didn't get 3g though because I knew I'd only use it at home.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
There's no need to be mean to the OP. Many may think iPad is the best thing invented since sliced bread, it's not for everyone. My wife hardly uses her iPad, and prefers to stick with her Macbook Air. That's her choice and there's nothing wrong with it. No one needs to be educated on any thing.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
From the description you gave us, it sounds like you are missing a functional use for it. We bought ours for several specific functional uses, and it has met those wonderfully:

- Watch TV in bed
- Mobile internet and email (we don't have a laptop)
- For taking notes and reading packets at school board meetings

If you just bought it because everyone said they are great, you are missing the application of your own set of needs and desires to a match of the abilities of the device. I would recommend you return it and reevaluate your needs.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
The one thing I dislike about iOS is that it doesn't support tasks (at least the tasks that I have in Mail and iCal on my MBP). I guess I could have just bought a task app but instead I bought LogMeIn for the iPad which allows me to access not only my tasks but my entire desktop computer now.

Now I can use my budgeting software and Microsoft Excel when I'm not at home. This just made the iPad a lot more functional for me.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
There's no need to be mean to the OP. Many may think iPad is the best thing invented since sliced bread, it's not for everyone. My wife hardly uses her iPad, and prefers to stick with her Macbook Air. That's her choice and there's nothing wrong with it. No one needs to be educated on any thing.
The OP asked to be educated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.