Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I'm sure I'm not alone on this. I actually love the display of the iPhones and I've always put screen protectors on it. Ever since the original iPhone 2G, I've used Anti-Glare due to the fingerprint resistance.

Now with the 3GS, I actually tried to use one without a screen protector. The oleophobic coating is great! However, I want my screen PROTECTED from scratches/cracks/drops. I get the Anti-Glare from PowerCrystal like always and they're great. I just hated losing the display quality :(

It looks like my needs and protection have been met! I will definitely order these ASAP! SGP has released their Ultra line up with Oleophobic Coating! :eek:

iphone_4_ultra_steinheil_oleophobic_contents.jpg

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
hey man! Believe it or not... oleophobic coated screen protectors have been available a long, long time. Check out Wrapsol and Ghost Armor. They've been doing this a long, long time. Oil wipes right off!

And... in my opinion, they are better than SGP.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
this one always worked well for me. looks like SGP bought Steinheil which is a shame because I like them. but many people have had problems with SGP seems customer service doesn't exist. also they added allot of screen protectors. but for me the anti-fingerprint worked well.

Yes! Exactly. Customer service was my problem as well. Wrapsol and Ghost Armor both have the same oleophobic properties and have top notch customer service. When you purchase from these two companies, you get a lifetime warranty on the product. I personally prefer Wrapsol. Check out the durability reviews of it on YouTube.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm I've search both sites and no where does it state they're oleophobic coated. Links please?

this one always worked well for me. looks like SGP bought Steinheil which is a shame because I like them. but many people have had problems with SGP seems customer service doesn't exist. also they added allot of screen protectors. but for me the anti-fingerprint worked well.

http://www.sgpstore.com/popup_image.php/pID/1448

I've always used/loved Anti-Glare/Fingerprint screen protectors, but I also hate them for making the display look fuzzy :(

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Hmm I've search both sites and no where does it state they're oleophobic coated. Links please?

They may not say "oleophobic" but they both have those properties and always have. There are many words for oleophobic: lipophobicity, fat rejection, oil-resistant, etc.

http://www.wrapsol.com/en_US/Home+P...wrapsol_/smart_+dependable_+responsible_.aspx

Go to the top left of the screen: "no fingerprints." Just another way to say oleophobic. It is doing exactly the same thing. I promise. I've used all the products mentioned on this page.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
They may not say "oleophobic" but they both have those properties and always have. There are many words for oleophobic: lipophobicity, fat rejection, oil-resistant, etc.

http://www.wrapsol.com/en_US/Home+P...wrapsol_/smart_+dependable_+responsible_.aspx

Go to the top left of the screen: "no fingerprints." Just another way to say oleophobic. It is doing exactly the same thing. I promise. I've used all the producs mentioned on this page.

That's not true. If you actually clicked on it, it states matte finished for the body. There is a huge difference between matte and oleophobic finished.

With matte finished, the display will be fuzzy and if you clicked on the link, its the body that's anti-fingerprint.

Trust me, I've used ALL types from clear to anti-glare/fingerprint. ALL of the anti-glare/fingerprints will produce a fuzzy display.

From the looks of wrapsol, they're just like zagg's invisible shield, rubber texture for the front screen and matte for the body. I hate the rubber feel of these types of protectors...

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
That's not true. If you actually clicked on it, it states matte finished for the body. There is a huge difference between matte and oleophobic finished.

With matte finished, the display will be fuzzy and if you clicked on the link, its the body that's anti-fingerprint.

Trust me, I've used ALL types from clear to anti-glare/fingerprint. ALL of the anti-glare/fingerprints will produce a fuzzy display.

From the looks of wrapsol, they're just like zagg's invisible shield, rubber texture for the front screen and matte for the body. I hate the rubber feel of these types of protectors...

I think you have your terms confused buddy. ;) Yes, Wrapsol has a matte look, but that doesn't mean that it isn't oleophobic. Oleophobic simply means oil-resistant. What you're trying to differentiate is shiny and matte. Click here for oleophobic definition.

Wrapsol doesn't have anti-glare and does not have a fuzzy display. If you don't like the feel of Zagg, that's totally within your rights to pick something else! :D But don't throw wrapsol into the group "just like invisible shield" until you try it. It's worlds different than Zagg.

Here's a good review that compares Zagg and Wrapsol. There is a difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzyWo8uVCF0

The video will also show you the oleophobic properties of Wrapsol.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
sigh.

How about this...

The screen protectors have the EXACT SAME "chemical" coating as the 3GS on the glass...

Wrapsol, zagg's, ghost armor and etc does not...

Also I noticed you're upgrading from a 3G. Have you tried a 3GS bare? Totally different! It's great...

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
sigh.

How about this...

The screen protectors have the EXACT SAME "chemical" coating as the 3GS on the glass...

Okay, check it out for yourself. It's obvious I can't convince you. ;)

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Nope. I'm good. You're not understanding the differences...

Oh well. Let's just drop it and move along...

Hahaha. I am definitely fine with moving along, but I did some research and I think I understand what you mean.

Zagg, Wrapsol, and Ghost Armor are all a material whereas SGP is a plastic screen protector with the oleophobic material coating it. While oleophobic screen protectors are nothing new... but the plastic-like ones that SGP has is new. Is this what you meant?

Sorry to confuse you or hijack your thread! ;)

truciet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Hahaha. I am definitely fine with moving along, but I did some research and I think I understand what you mean.

Zagg, Wrapsol, and Ghost Armor are all a material whereas SGP is a plastic screen protector with the oleophobic material coating it. While oleophobic screen protectors are nothing new... but the plastic-like ones that SGP has is new. Is this what you meant?

Sorry to confuse you or hijack your thread! ;)

No problem.

Right now, there is NO PRODUCT out that offers the EXACT SAME feature as the 3GS screen's coating. Yes oleophobic means several thing. I understand what you mean by anti-fingerprint and oil-resistance, but what I'm trying to compare is the special coating the 3GS has. So I guess what's confusing you is that Apple uses the term "oleophobic" too. However, the 3GS does have a special chemical coating on it.

The thing I'm trying to point out is that the coating on the 3GS is amazing. You can even see the coat on the 3GS. It's really nice and it keeps the screen PERFECTLY visible. No rubber texture, no matte, no orange peel, nada.

With Wrapsol, Zagg's, etc, you can still get fingerprints on it. I've tried it but not Wrapsol's. From what I read, Wrapsol's protection has the body matte and the front screen as the special rubber-like heavy duty material.

Again NOTHING is out on the market that compares to the original 3GS's coating....

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
No problem.

Right now, there is NO PRODUCT out that offers the EXACT SAME feature as the 3GS screen's coating. Yes oleophobic means several thing. I understand what you mean by anti-fingerprint and oil-resistance.

The thing I'm trying to point out is that the coating on the 3GS is amazing. You can even see the coat on the 3GS. It's really nice and it keeps the screen PERFECTLY visible. No rubber texture, no matte, no orange peel, nada.

With Wrapsol, Zagg's, etc, you can still get fingerprints on it. I've tried it but not Wrapsol's. From what I read, Wrapsol's protection has the body matte and the front screen as the special rubber-like heavy duty material.

Again NOTHING is out on the market that compares to the original 3GS's coating....

I understand what you mean now. ;) Wrapsol is slightly rubbery and fingerprints wipe right off. Maybe we've created a good combo here? SGP and Wrapsol. I will have to try SPG and I'll let you know what I think. I usually don't like these plastic covers because they rip... but we shall see. I actually like the film protection of Wrapsol.

Glad we came to a mature agreement and conclusion. Can't say that happens with the rest of this forum. :D

truciet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I understand what you mean now. ;) Wrapsol is slightly rubbery and fingerprints wipe right off. Maybe we've created a good combo here? SGP and Wrapsol. I will have to try SPG and I'll let you know what I think. I usually don't like these plastic covers because they rip... but we shall see. I actually like the film protection of Wrapsol.

Glad we came to a mature agreement and conclusion. Can't say that happens with the rest of this forum. :D

Yeah definitely. I will be getting this plus the bumper case. I was going to get the wrapsol too, but they have a cut out for the sensor too...kinda pointless :mad:

hushmartin

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Kansas
sigh.

How about this...

Also I noticed you're upgrading from a 3G. Have you tried a 3GS bare? Totally different! It's great...

Yeah! It's really great! Until the coating wears off, that is... Like mine did about 2 months ago. I had only had the 3gs since late July last year. The coating lasted 8, maybe 9 months if I'm being generous. And NO, I am not hard on my phone, I take excellent care of it.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah definitely. I will be getting this plus the bumper case. I was going to get the wrapsol too, but they have a cut out for the sensor too...kinda pointless :mad:

Weird. Maybe they did it just in case it would mess with it. Really, it's fine by me. It's not a make or break thing for me.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This is actually pretty neat. I recently had my 3GS replaced by Apple and for the first time ever i used it without my Invisible Shield on it. WOW what a difference! I LOVE it. But I do want to protect it somewhat, and this SGP protector looks great. Will be ordering one for me and my girlfriend's iphone 4 as soon as they become available.

OP good find!

And that bumper is kinda growing on me... :)

truciet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
This is actually pretty neat. I recently had my 3GS replaced by Apple and for the first time ever i used it without my Invisible Shield on it. WOW what a difference! I LOVE it. But I do want to protect it somewhat, and this SGP protector looks great. Will be ordering one for me and my girlfriend's iphone 4 as soon as they become available.

OP good find!

And that bumper is kinda growing on me... :)

LOL VSMacOne! We had the exact same experience. My 3GS died out of no where. Since day 1, I put on a power crystal anti-glare and never looked back.

When I got it replaced, I lost my protector and I did not want to pay another $15 for another set when I will have to buy ANOTHER set for the iPhone 4.

It's been exactly 1 week and I LOVE the 3GS's screen. Beautiful with bright colors and no fingerprints or grease. Since the iPhone 4 has a MUCH better screen, I do not want the fuzzyness from the anti-glare at all :D

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

I'm following this closely as I've ordered the Wrapsol and am considering ordering the SGP to compare.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I'm following this closely as I've ordered the Wrapsol and am considering ordering the SGP to compare.

That would be awesome. Wrapsol is a naturally oleophobic material, it's not a coated material like SGP. I see that as an advantage.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
lorenwade, because of you, I am SERIOUSLY considering wrapsol :)

Hahahahahaha! Your call. Just sharing my opinions here and I think people need to research a little bit more before they decide. Some people see everyone buying Zagg so they do the same... but I think people should really look for themselves and decide. ;) That's why I try to get all the facts out there and to make people think!

Up to you!!

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Hahahahahaha! Your call. Just sharing my opinions here and I think people need to research a little bit more before they decide. Some people see everyone buying Zagg so they do the same... but I think people should really look for themselves and decide. ;) That's why I try to get all the facts out there and to make people think!

Up to you!!

Yep, I would never buy a Zagg. I hate, hate, hate the orange peel! Power Support ones are completely flat and hard plastic...I'll have to see how Wrapsol compares.

THX723

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Exactly what I'm looking for! Does SGP have this in stock for the iPhone 4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.