PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 (I need your help!)

papa8706
Jun 14, 2010, 03:27 AM
Okay, so to make a long story short. My iPhone died out on me a 2 days before the announcement of the iPhone 4 release date. I was eligible for an upgrade with a new 2 year contract so I had no choice but to go for it. When I purchased the phone at Walmart, I was told that I had up to 30 days to cancel the contract and return the phone.

My question is would I be able pre-order the new phone on June 15th, without entering in my account information (to avoid an early upgrade price). I was hoping that I could reserve one, go deactivate and and return the old one so my account opens up, then activate the new one. Is this possible and would I still be eligible to upgrade for the $199 instead of the early upgrade?

I heard Walmart is getting them as well although I'm not sure if they would frown upon me canceling a contract, returning a phone, then buying the new one lol. Hopefully this wasn't too confusing and I appreciate anyone's advice on how to go about this without it turning into a big hassle!

Krafty
Jun 14, 2010, 03:29 AM
I'm in a similar situations, 2 AT&T reps told me just to return the phone, in which the upgrade eligibility will be reverted back, and can be used on the iPhone 4.

blue43fan
Jun 14, 2010, 07:40 AM
My suggestion is to return the phone now, as it usually takes up to three days for your eligibility to return to normal. To avoid any complications, I think it would be best to do this as soon as possible. While you're at Wal Mart, pick up a cheap AT&T prepaid phone to use for the next ten days (which is really what you should have done in the first place :( ).

As for the pre order, I would order it for pickup at an Apple Store. As long as you're fully upgrade eligible, I can't see them charging you for the full price of the phone, even if your pre order says that is what you owe. I don't think you actually pay for the phone until the day of the release if last year's pre order process is any indication. Just explain the situation to them. They'll be extending your contract, so you're due a phone at subsidized price. :)

papa8706
Jun 14, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have never used a pre-paid phone but if I knew how early the iPhone 4 was going to be released, I probably would have done so. You think it will take up to 3 days, but the eligibility the new iPhone will definitely return after I cancel the current contract?

GadgetGeek71
Jun 14, 2010, 01:11 PM
My suggestion is to return the phone now, as it usually takes up to three days for your eligibility to return to normal. To avoid any complications, I think it would be best to do this as soon as possible. While you're at Wal Mart, pick up a cheap AT&T prepaid phone to use for the next ten days (which is really what you should have done in the first place :( ).

I did this and it worked great. The only thing is, I couldn't get the same type of phone (blackberry on t-mobile). They would only swap out the same type of phone if there was an issue with it...which makes sense.

dannyjames8
Jun 14, 2010, 03:29 PM
Wrong board.