Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Special note to people in Minnesota, when I last called the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Bookstore they had everything but the 64GB 3G in stock.

Since common knowledge was the iPad is sold at Apple and BestBuy not enough people think of other places that may have them since there are so few. I know from experience of getting each kind of iPad the day they came out with no line (unless you consider 5 people hanging around for a minute a line) that these places are completely missed by the general iPad seeking public.

I shared my tip, anyone else have any unexpected brick and mortar iPad sellers?

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
My university's computer store has iPads in stock, but they won't sell to anyone who is not student, faculty, or staff with a valid university ID.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
MN
To my knowledge you do not need to be a student for our store, best to check though. ;)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
That's how I got my iPad. On the Canadian release date, May 28, everyone was lining up for hours outside Apple stores. Big news, lots of press photos featuring long line ups. Meanwhile, I walked into the local Best Buy on my lunch break, said "you got any iPads?" and sure enough, they had a couple dozen left and I walked out with one.

I won't tell that to my friend who was one of those waiting in line at the local Apple store since 6:00am. ;)

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I was in the Apple Store in the Mall of America yesterday and a guy was buying a 64 gig 3g. They apparently had those in stock. No cases what-so-ever though.

Steve

iPadforLife

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Toronto,ON
I was in the Apple Store in the Mall of America yesterday and a guy was buying a 64 gig 3g. They apparently had those in stock. No cases what-so-ever though.

Steve
Lols! I wouldnt either! Also, it is great that your university's bookstore sells them... Superior :D

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
There was an article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune about an Apple store coming to the Uptown area. In the article it mentioned a guy buying an iPad at First Tech, a computer store on Hennepin Avenue just 4 blocks north of Apple's new Uptown location. First Tech was the first Apple dealer in the Twin Cities and where I bought most of my Macs before Apple Stores appeared.

Cambot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
There was an article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune about an Apple store coming to the Uptown area. In the article it mentioned a guy buying an iPad at First Tech, a computer store on Hennepin Avenue just 4 blocks north of Apple's new Uptown location. First Tech was the first Apple dealer in the Twin Cities and where I bought most of my Macs before Apple Stores appeared.

Uptown does not surprise me! Is it going where the Uptown bar used to be?
First Tech I think advertises on the side of their building specifically about repairing Apple stuff, I think. Surprised me that the U has them. I reserved a 32g wifi at Rosedale Mall and picked it up in less than 48 hours, 24 of which no models came off the truck apparently.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Steve

I was too in the Apple store in NY during the launch for no apparent reason. I did not purchase an iPad and stood there staring at people. Come to think about it, I do not know why I was there.

-- Steve Jobs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.