PDA

View Full Version : Sata/ide cards

JSMencer
Jun 14, 2010, 01:02 PM
Can I put any sat/ide card in my g4 running leopard. I need to boot a1.5tb drive n a 500gb drive

4JNA
Jun 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
Can I put any sat/ide card in my g4 running leopard. I need to boot a1.5tb drive n a 500gb drive

yes, as long as they list 'OS X' as a supported OS.

the thing is, you will look long and hard to to find one that has that support. and it won't be cheap. i wouldn't buy one from ebay... you get the idea.

i have a couple g4 systems running with acard SATA cards that would be able to handle your drives. they work well. they were not cheap.

look at OWC or Sonnet or another mac specific dealer if you want to get it right the first time. best of luck.

JSMencer
Jun 14, 2010, 02:31 PM
FirmTek SeriTek/1S2 will this card be fine?

4JNA
Jun 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
FirmTek SeriTek/1S2 will this card be fine?

per Google (http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1s2/) it would appear to work fine.

your mileage may vary, best or luck.

SmurfBoxMasta
Jun 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yes the Seritek cards work very well with G3
s & G4's. I used several of them in years past neveranottaproblemo :)

Also currently using a SIIG 4 port cart in my Quicksilver, same result for over 3 years now........

got all of them from OWC, the highest one being ~$65....

4JNA
Jun 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
Yes the Seritek cards work very well with G3
s & G4's. I used several of them in years past neveranottaproblemo :)

Also currently using a SIIG 4 port cart in my Quicksilver, same result for over 3 years now........

got all of them from OWC, the highest one being ~$65....

so there you go. i just mentioned acard because it is what i currently use, and OWC because it's where i get stuff when i 'just need it to work'. :apple:

i'm old and i fear change...

i've also had success with g4 projects and SIIG.

get a sata card (you pick the brand), ditch the onboard IDE, and fly. best of luck.