PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Flagship Store (Stockton Street)

Jill1228
Jun 14, 2010, 04:24 PM
Who will be there on launch day? :D

Jill1228
Jun 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
I'll be there before the butt crack of dawn :D

Russiaone
Jun 18, 2010, 11:21 PM
I'll be there about 3 in the morning, depending on what I see Wednesday night.

vladinecko
Jun 18, 2010, 11:27 PM
3am? you're hardcore! i was planning on getting there at 6. i figured, it's either that or the night before. if the stock is low (less than 100?), i think getting there anywhere after midnight will be futile.

so getting there an hour before will make me feel better in case i don't get one - at least i won't waste the whole night. i wouldn't be surprised if people started setting up camps on tuesday just like during previous releases.

Russiaone
Jun 19, 2010, 12:26 AM
I imagine the Union Street Store (the biggest in San Francisco) will see about 1,000 units. All my speculation, of course. I have one reserved, regardless.

Jill1228
Jun 19, 2010, 07:28 AM
Since they are the largest store in the area, I'm guessing they will have hella stock. I'm getting there around 5:15. (getting on the first Bart from Dublin/Pleasanton will get me there at 5:01.) And I will need coffee! :)

I have one reserved. I just wanna be back on Bart by 9am because I have a 9:30 appt in Oakland

Russiaone
Jun 19, 2010, 07:49 PM
You'll see me there, in front of you.... I'll be the guy with the hat.

Jill1228
Jun 20, 2010, 02:01 PM
4 more days! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/APHIJill/blinkies/smileyjig.gif

I am so ready for my 32gb black iPhone http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/APHIJill/blinkies/gimme.gif

HiFiGuy528
Jun 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
Did you guys reserved or drop in? What time are you really going to show up?

I reserved and I hope to get there by 6:00 AM.

Jill1228
Jun 20, 2010, 09:16 PM
Did you guys reserved or drop in? What time are you really going to show up?

I reserved and I hope to get there by 6:00 AM.

I reserved. (my mama didn't raise a fool! She just thinks I am for going downtown so early for a phone) :D DH thought I was crazy to get up in the middle of the night to reserve (he is NOT an Apple guy or an iPhone guy) :rolleyes:
I'm getting there around 5:15-5:30. (getting on the first Bart from Dublin/Pleasanton will get me there at 5:01.) Will line up after I visit Starbucks for coffee :)

Russiaone
Jun 20, 2010, 09:41 PM
Can. Not Freakin'. Wait.

Really, I just want it in my hands so I can have this crap done.

I'm hoping to meet my soul mate in line, also. She's gotta be a geek, like me.:rolleyes:

Platypusman99
Jun 20, 2010, 10:07 PM
Please pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression that if an iPhone 4 was reserved in your name there would be no need to wait in line. I can understand a waiting line for those who did not reserve a phone and are hoping to pick up one of the 100 or so that have been set aside at each store but a line for the reserved phones?

Jill1228
Jun 21, 2010, 12:54 AM
People who reserved an iPhone and want it immediately are gonna line up I'm guessing. I am because I want to get it, go to my appt in Oakland and then head home to Tracy and beat the traffic on the 580. Get it done and over with!

But that's just me!

Jimmyfrank
Jun 21, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'll be in the bay area for vacation from Alabama. I can't decide which Apple Store to wait in line at! I really want to be a part of the whole launch day hype but don't want to walk away without an iPhone. I was thinking of getting there at 5 am.

Jill1228
Jun 22, 2010, 04:18 PM
bumping this up to see who will be either camping out or getting there a couple hours before opening :)

Oversoul
Jun 22, 2010, 04:32 PM
I passed by the Apple Store on Stockton this morning, and the line's already started. A guy is camped out with a folded tent, chair, computer and inflatable love seat. For those of you who have to be "first," the guy is apparently renting out his tent.

Jill1228
Jun 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
I passed by the Apple Store on Stockton this morning, and the line's already started. A guy is camped out with a folded tent, chair, computer and inflatable love seat. For those of you who have to be "first," the guy is apparently renting out his tent.

No *****! Are you serious? I wonder if he has a reservation? :)

Oversoul
Jun 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
I waited in line in 2007 for the original iPhone release. Back then, the iPhone went on sale at 5 p.m., but of course the line formed days before. The night before, I walked by around midnight and the line was maybe 30 people long, excluding line cutters (*ahem* like the more than half a dozen Gizmodo crew) who showed up much later. I came back around 3 or 4 in the morning, and the line had grown by maybe another 30 people. By 5 p.m., I think the line snaked all the way up to Stockton and O'Farrell, around the corner down O'Farrell, around the corner again at H&M, and down Powell.

I don't expect to line up this year (I'm waiting for white), but I'm glad Apple is opening their stores early, at 7 a.m., and have taken reservations. It seems as if the demand is up compared with the 3G and 3GS, so I hope Apple is prepared to be able to deal with those who camped out early when they first open, then manage the heavy drop in crowds and reservation pick ups throughout the day.

I know the Stockton store is nearest to BART and will be *the* place for the Apple faithful to be, but I can't help but think that the Chestnut store might be a better place to beat the insane crowds. And I really hope all Bay Area stores are well stocked considering how tech savvy it is.

KBP
Jun 22, 2010, 05:15 PM
Im going to the store on chestnut to camp out now!

vladinecko
Jun 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
i really don't get you folks who have reservations and still plan to be there in the wee hours of the day. really?! you already have a unit guaranteed, why not show up there in the early afternoon after the initial craze is over? why would you *want* to be there in line?

KBP
Jun 22, 2010, 05:22 PM
i really don't get you folks who have reservations and still plan to be there in the wee hours of the day. really?! you already have a unit guaranteed, why not show up there in the early afternoon after the initial craze is over? why would you *want* to be there in line?

I dont have a reservation. Im hoping to be first and get one without the reservation!

vladinecko
Jun 22, 2010, 05:40 PM
I dont have a reservation. Im hoping to be first and get one without the reservation!

right, but folks like Jill1228 and Russiaone do and still want to be there at 5am or earlier. i read the same thing on other stores' threads. :confused:

Jill1228
Jun 22, 2010, 06:03 PM
right, but folks like Jill1228 and Russiaone do and still want to be there at 5am or earlier. i read the same thing on other stores' threads. :confused:

I have a reservation and will be there between 5-6am. I have an appointment in Oakland that morning. So I'm hoping to get the phone, grab breakfast, take care of a couple things before my appt and head home (I'm in San Joaquin county)

I wanna be out of there and on the Bart by 9 for my acupuncture appt. For once, it'll be wonderful to beat the traffic and be home early--get it over with!

Oversoul
Jun 22, 2010, 07:10 PM

Why not make it an early morning, line up for the opening and have your new iPhone in time for work?

/dev/toaster
Jun 23, 2010, 01:31 AM

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to reservations. Sure, 95% or more will get it. But who knows, with all the ordering screw ups that happened there is still room for a lot of screw ups. There is a disclaimer on the reservation confirmation email.

I am not sure what time I am going. I have been thinking about getting there are 6:30am, hopefully I can get out of the store early enough that I can make it to work on time :P

The General
Jun 23, 2010, 01:41 AM
I'm going to show up about midnight. My girlfriend doesn't have a reservation, so she's going to try to be close to the front of the walk-ins line.

Sadly, I don't have an inflatable love-seat to bring with me.

Russiaone
Jun 23, 2010, 06:56 AM
I'm just plain old crazy. Besides, beats going to work and being so preoccupied I don't actually get any work done. HUZZAH!

HiFiGuy528
Jun 23, 2010, 08:23 AM
I have a reservation but I can't decide if I want to wait in one before the store opens or wait till the early birds are done.

Platypusman99
Jun 23, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'll be heading over in the afternoon to pick up my reserved phone. I really hate lines.

KenRN
Jun 23, 2010, 11:19 AM

They didn't really say you are guarantee'd to have one.

"Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

I'm going to the Apple store at Stonestown at around 5 .. just in case.

Russiaone
Jun 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
They didn't really say you are guarantee'd to have one.

"Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis."

I'm going to the Apple store at Stonestown at around 5 .. just in case.

Reserving your phone keeps it at the store until the close of business. The next day you're SOL.

Pre-authorization refers to if you are eligible for service with ATT, discounts, etc.

coelacanth
Jun 23, 2010, 01:35 PM
Anyone seen how long the long has become now? I took metro today so I couldn't check it out.

Oversoul
Jun 23, 2010, 02:57 PM
I passed by the store during lunch today, and I'd guess there were about 8 or 10 people in line. The line stretched a little past the Apple storefront and into Men's Warehouse's. It's not a very accurate count because while there was camp obviously set up, the campers were milling about.

FetalSage
Jun 23, 2010, 04:46 PM
I passed by the store during lunch today, and I'd guess there were about 8 or 10 people in line. The line stretched a little past the Apple storefront and into Men's Warehouse's. It's not a very accurate count because while there was camp obviously set up, the campers were milling about.
Were those for non-reserves?

I have a reservation, and I'm thinking about showing up around 6:30 tomorrow morning. Too late?

bunn
Jun 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
this is a question for probably any location, but whats the deal with the eventual double lines and waiting in them. It's my understanding that once the doors open, the people with phones reserved will be forming a separate line from the people hoping to get one without (and the latter will probably be a much longer line)

Is it one of those things where before 7am, everyone waits in one line and then chaos begins to unfold at 7 when people need to leave that line to to start another line to get their reserved ones? Sounds potentially messy if so but I imagine thats going to be the case.

Anyone heard how theyre handling it?

Oversoul
Jun 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Were those for non-reserves?

I have a reservation, and I'm thinking about showing up around 6:30 tomorrow morning. Too late?

From what's been discussed, if you have a reservation, Apple will hold your iPhone until the close of business on the 24th and you should be fine showing up anytime during the day. I suppose if you don't have a reservation, you'll need to stand in line to hope to snag some of the extra stock Apple Stores are expected to have.

But then again, this is a major Apple product release, in San Francisco, and we're talking about the flagship store here. I'd guess those in line are a mix of Apple fanboys, attention whores, or profiteers, with and without reservations.

Jill1228
Jun 23, 2010, 06:49 PM
Any update on the line? :D

FetalSage
Jun 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
Any update on the line? :D

I might be able to check it out after work and let you know.

Oversoul
Jun 23, 2010, 07:01 PM
Engadget's updated line watch (with coverage of the SF store):

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/iphone-4-launch-day-line-watch/

vladinecko
Jun 23, 2010, 07:40 PM
do you guys know if they'll require in-store activations or you'll be able to opt for grab-n-go kind of deal?

FetalSage
Jun 23, 2010, 07:47 PM
do you guys know if they'll require in-store activations or you'll be able to opt for grab-n-go kind of deal?

I'm sure it'll be the same procedure as with the 3Gs, which needed activation when picking it up at the store.

Oversoul
Jun 23, 2010, 07:55 PM

Don't know. My girlfriend had to do an in-store activation last year on her 3GS. Conceivably you could activate it at home just like everyone else who opted for delivery.

But given the reports of yellow spots and lines on some iPhones' screens, it might actually be a good thing to activate in store. Gives you a chance to inspect the screen.

That raises an interesting thought, however -- if you notice yellow discoloration in store, and demand another unit, will Apple accommodate you immediately out of their extra stock or will they have you come back with things calm down and supply is more available?

Worf
Jun 23, 2010, 09:36 PM
Anybody pass by the At&t store a few blocks away? If so was anybody there camping yet? Might consider waiting there for the iPhone 4..

Oversoul
Jun 23, 2010, 10:59 PM
Anybody pass by the At&t store a few blocks away? If so was anybody there camping yet? Might consider waiting there for the iPhone 4..

If you don't have one pre-ordered with AT&T, I wouldn't bother. AT&T has said no walk-in sales until June 29.

twrightfield
Jun 23, 2010, 11:01 PM
Just went by the store and there were about 30 people in line. My guess is that they are saving spots for people also.

jhuang
Jun 24, 2010, 01:21 AM
just saw a segment on this store on abc7news. first in line told them his name was gray powell, hahahaha.

Jill1228
Jun 24, 2010, 05:12 AM
Just woke up and I am heading there now, I'll be there at about 5 (coming from Tracy via Bart)

HiFiGuy528
Jun 24, 2010, 08:08 AM
Saw the crazy line on the news (@6:00 AM). I ma going to wait till after 9:00 AM hoping people have to go to work.

I was told by an Apple employee that the S.F. Store WILL remain open for all customers who are in line and have a reservation, even after 9:00 PM.

bmclemons
Jun 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
How are the lines and are they moving pretty well?

kaidoy021
Jun 24, 2010, 12:01 PM
How are the lines and are they moving pretty well?

I'd like to know too:confused:

FetalSage
Jun 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
The reservation line was huge. Went around the block, and even around Powell and O'Farrel. I got there around 5:55am, left around 8:20am.

The reservation line was longer than the non-reservation, but moved a lot quicker. I was around 140th in line, and passed the 5th person in line in the non-reservation by a long shot.

I did ask two Apple store employees, and they will hold an iPhone for you for the whole day if you reserved. But they did say the lines might be long for most of the day.

Was fun though, got free water, coffee, donuts and cupcakes.

kaidoy021
Jun 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
makes sense the reservation line moves way faster.

I would think the non-reservation line won't move one bite till closing when the the phones reserved arent picked up

Jill1228
Jun 24, 2010, 03:27 PM
They were hella efficient! I was there by 5:15am, got in the door at 7:30am and was out of there by 8am :D
I got interviewed and of course with no makeup, I looked like a death warmed over :rolleyes:
Now at home and gonna catch up on sleep :)

kaidoy021
Jun 24, 2010, 03:35 PM
i just left my wife in line to get back to work. From where she was at, they guy said a 4 hour wait. That was around the corner and half way down the block.

Platypusman99
Jun 24, 2010, 03:36 PM
Fail. I stood in line from 11:50 until 12:30 then gave up my place when I was informed that I wasn't going to be able to upgrade my second phone (my wife's) unless AT&T could turn disable it and activate the new one in the store. As she has the phone in another country and won't be back for a week, I was SOL, so I left. There is at least one iPhone 4 that won't be picked up today.

My guess is that the line was at least 4 hours long at that point anyway so it might have been for the best.

coelacanth
Jun 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
I got there at 4:50 am with my friends. The idea was to avoid the wave of people right after 5 am mark and we were right.

We were done and out of store, answering some reporter questions by 7:15 am. Sleeping pads helped our butts a lot.

Worf
Jun 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
Anybody know if the Apple store has extended hours today? I think this was the case with all the past launches as i saw the apple store still open at 10. Might visit then and get the iphones and skip the block filled line!

thedge18
Jun 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
Fail. I stood in line from 11:50 until 12:30 then gave up my place when I was informed that I wasn't going to be able to upgrade my second phone (my wife's) unless AT&T could turn disable it and activate the new one in the store. As she has the phone in another country and won't be back for a week, I was SOL, so I left. There is at least one iPhone 4 that won't be picked up today.

My guess is that the line was at least 4 hours long at that point anyway so it might have been for the best.

Does this mean you have to bring the actual phone you want to upgrade into the store with you when you buy it?

Oversoul
Jun 24, 2010, 05:34 PM
Does this mean you have to bring the actual phone you want to upgrade into the store with you when you buy it?

You do not need to bring your old phone if you want to upgrade.

If the previous poster was trying to upgrade his wife's phone, but his wife was on a separate account and out of the country, he is SOL because the actual account holder will have to be present to upgrade that account.

P.S. When I walked by about an hour ago, the (I assume no reservation) line was up Stockton and halfway down O'Farrell, ending at the garage entry/exit.

Platypusman99
Jun 24, 2010, 06:19 PM
"You do not need to bring your old phone if you want to upgrade."

That is true, but the old phone becomes disabled once the new phone has been activated. The phone number transfers to the new phone.

Oversoul
Jun 24, 2010, 06:39 PM
"You do not need to bring your old phone if you want to upgrade."

That is true, but the old phone becomes disabled once the new phone has been activated. The phone number transfers to the new phone.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.

Worf
Jun 24, 2010, 06:51 PM
Line is still by the garage, anybody think if I go there at say 7 or 6;30ish there will be little to no wait and will be able to get an iphone?

HiFiGuy528
Jun 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
It there at 10:00 AM. Took 5 hours to get in the store.

/dev/toaster
Jun 24, 2010, 09:13 PM
I got there at 6:30am and walked out with my iPhone 4 around 1:30am, I had a reservation.

A friend got there at 2:30am without a reservation ... and here is the kicker. We were BOTH at the same place in lot one we got to the front. He went in 1 person a head of me :D

Anyway, here is some video of the line after I left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCc6SXRWUpM

bunn
Jun 24, 2010, 11:21 PM
was in line this am. had to do a daytrip to burbank so had to duck out after a couple hours. went back just now right from the airport to find they had capped the line at 8pm. anyone who entered afterwards was given a ticket to claim their phone tomorrow.

store opens at 8am. to be continued...

Jill1228
Jun 24, 2010, 11:23 PM

It looks like us who got there early now had the right idea, huh? I was in line a total of 2 hours (arrived around 5:30am) before I got into the store :D In the store by 7:30 am and out by 8am

And was on the channel 7 news :eek:

/dev/toaster
Jun 25, 2010, 01:56 AM
Here is a Panoramic that I did tonight, this was the last group of people for the day. This is made up of 18 pictures all taken on the iPhone 4. The software used is Autostitch and does add some minor ghosts to it due to its nature.

Side note, I *VERY* highly recommend this app! Its only $2.99 and creates panoramics *VERY* easy.

http://joped.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iPhone_4_line_night.jpg
(http://joped.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iPhone_4_line_night.jpg)

Worf
Jun 25, 2010, 02:13 AM
Here is a Panoramic that I did tonight, this was the last group of people for the day. This is made up of 18 pictures all taken on the iPhone 4. The software used is Autostitch and does add some minor ghosts to it due to its nature.

Side note, I *VERY* highly recommend this app! Its only $2.99 and creates panoramics *VERY* easy.

http://joped.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iPhone_4_line_night.jpg
(http://joped.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iPhone_4_line_night.jpg)

Still all the way past the garage.. actually might check this app out, its a great pic, did you take it with your iPhone 4?

I'm probably going to get my phone, likely in the afternoon after all the morning craze dies down again.

/dev/toaster
Jun 25, 2010, 02:18 AM
Still all the way past the garage.. actually might check this app out, its a great pic, did you take it with your iPhone 4?

I'm probably going to get my phone, likely in the afternoon after all the morning craze dies down again.

Ya all of them were taking with the iPhone 4. Check out this other one I did about 30 minutes before that in the West Field mall.

http://joped.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mall_pan.jpg

bholaladka
Jun 25, 2010, 10:14 PM
Ya all of them were taking with the iPhone 4. Check out this other one I did about 30 minutes before that in the West Field mall.

http://joped.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mall_pan.jpg

this is the flagship store...and it's sold out ;(

bholaladka
Jun 25, 2010, 10:38 PM
this is the flagship store...and it's sold out ;(

anyone going here tomorrow?

vladinecko
Jun 26, 2010, 02:34 AM
It looks like us who got there early now had the right idea, huh? I was in line a total of 2 hours (arrived around 5:30am) before I got into the store :D In the store by 7:30 am and out by 8am

And was on the channel 7 news :eek:

Well not really. If you reserved, you had a phone guaranteed as long as you showed up the same day. The preorder line was moving significantly faster than walk in line. I think you'd be in and out within 2 hours no matter what time you'd show up.

I actually went to Walnut Creek so I don't get harassed by all the newscasters. But I can see how that might be kind of cool.

Worf
Jun 26, 2010, 02:44 AM
I got mine today, the way the apple employee was talking it seemed there would be plenty of stock. Also the reserve line was so short but it constantly filled up in the hour and that extended the wait to get a phone by at least an hour and a half for non reserve waiters.

/dev/toaster
Jun 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
Well not really. If you reserved, you had a phone guaranteed as long as you showed up the same day. The preorder line was moving significantly faster than walk in line. I think you'd be in and out within 2 hours no matter what time you'd show up.

I actually went to Walnut Creek so I don't get harassed by all the newscasters. But I can see how that might be kind of cool.

I got there at 6:30am and left around 1:30pm ... So no, it was not 2 hours :D

chris650
Jun 26, 2010, 03:31 PM
I got there at 6:30am and left around 1:30pm ... So no, it was not 2 hours :D

I have no reservation. I got there at 2:30pm on Friday afternoon. Got my phone and walked out of there around 4:00pm....

Everything is so easy... i don't what the fuss is

They have plenty!!!!!!!!

/dev/toaster
Jun 26, 2010, 05:48 PM
I have no reservation. I got there at 2:30pm on Friday afternoon. Got my phone and walked out of there around 4:00pm....

Everything is so easy... i don't what the fuss is

They have plenty!!!!!!!!

You got lucky on the timing. Had a friend get in line that night around 6:00pm and got to the door around 9:30pm.

Sure, they had plenty ... but many people were going before or after work. That was the time that the line was long and very slow.

chris650
Jun 26, 2010, 06:24 PM
You got lucky on the timing. Had a friend get in line that night around 6:00pm and got to the door around 9:30pm.

Sure, they had plenty ... but many people were going before or after work. That was the time that the line was long and very slow.

well, iphone... work... one needs to set priority... for techies... iphone is the priority

/dev/toaster
Jun 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
well, iphone... work... one needs to set priority... for techies... iphone is the priority

I took the day off ... agreed, priority for techies :D

chris650
Jun 26, 2010, 11:00 PM
A friend in South Bay looking for an iPhone...
Does anyone know any store still have them?

A N G E L
Sep 20, 2012, 01:15 AM
It's my first time ever lining up for an iPhone. Not sure how long the line is gonna be for this, but I'll be joining in around 4 or 5 am (since they don't open til 9am). Hopefully that's a good time. I've seen lines get long even for video game releases at the nearby GameStop.

guitargoddsjm
Sep 20, 2012, 01:09 PM
I'll be joining in around 4 or 5 am (since they don't open til 9am).

All Apple stores will open at 8am tomorrow for the launch. Maybe 9am is really specific to your store, but I doubt it

Jill1228
Sep 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
All Apple stores will open at 8am tomorrow for the launch. Maybe 9am is really specific to your store, but I doubt it
When the 4 launched, I think the store on Stockton Street opened at 7:30 or 8. Line was wrapped around the next block