Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beckajean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Hello all -

I'm fairly new to Macs, I just got my Macbook back in March and I haven't had any problems with it until lately.

Last week I sent a few very large emails through my mail client which is attached to my gmail account. I'm not sure what happened but while sending them, one in particular, stopped. Now, every time I open mail this email shows up under "On My Mac" under recovered up to 35 times. (Sorry, it's currently 71.) Since it's a huge email it's slowing everything down and making it impossible to use mail. On occasion when I try to delete it my entire mac freezes momentarily.

I've tried deleting it in the folder but it always comes up again when I open my mail client and multiplies. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Is mail accessing gmail through pop or imap???

Did you try going into web version of gmail and see if it was in there and try deleting it?

How big is the attachment?

How long have you waited before trying to close mail or cancel the email?

Maybe you need to wait longer. Some large emails can take a long time to download or send.

In the old days I used to see this slot with pop email where a file was large and people got tired of waiting so they would cancel the sending. All it did was force the email to replicate. 1 became 2. 2 became 4. Etc etc.

On imap should be that the software actually reads from the server on the fly not download then send like Other Types of connections.

beckajean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
It looks like it goes through imap. It's 132MB. This has been going on since the 9th of June at 11am. The recipient did get the email, they're just being stored. Whenever I try and move them and then quit mail mail will freeze and about 2 minutes later give it gives me the error, "error occurred could not move 71 files to trash."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.