PDA

View Full Version : Unboxed iPad Straight to Invisible Shield?

Hydrocity
Jun 14, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hey, sorry if this may sound stupid, but,

I plan on buying a iPad and an invisable shield. Now my question is, would it be better off to unbox the iPad in a dust free environment, put on gloves (maybe) and before even turning it on, install the shield? This way, I have a feeling that the shield will result in a very good install since there will be no dust or fingerprints/oil on the screen.

Now my only regrets could be not being able to feel how $exy the iPad really is. Feeling my finger glide on the glass and feeling the nice smooth backing may be worth touching?

maestrokev
Jun 14, 2010, 11:31 PM
You do realize you're buying a mass market consumer gadget, not the Mona Lisa?

sdsvtdriver
Jun 14, 2010, 11:41 PM
You do realize you're buying a mass market consumer gadget, not the Mona Lisa?

qft

Halon X
Jun 15, 2010, 01:57 AM
would it be better off to unbox the iPad in a dust free environment, put on gloves (maybe) and before even turning it on, install the shield?

The best way to ensure a dust free environment is to pull a large, translucent garbage bag over your head, then seal it by tying it tightly around your waist. This will ensure no dirty ;) ;) air gets in to mess up your install. Make sure you have your ipad, gloves and shield into the bag with you befor you seal it. I highly recommend you take your time, it may take an hour or two inside the bag to get it right.

swy05
Jun 15, 2010, 02:13 AM
Terrible idea.

Why don't you use the ipad for at least a week before you put on your screen shield. During this time look for light leaks, dead pixels, dust under screen, battery issues, etc.

Unless you're confident that your ipad is issue free and you want to risk wasting your screenshield.

Shasta McNasty
Jun 15, 2010, 02:53 AM
I did this also but luckily where my apple store is across the way there is an actual invisible shield store and they professionally install it. First 30 days they'll replace it free of charge if anything is wrong, after that you just pay install fee but you have to bring the "old" one back. Unless you work at intel there probably isn't anywhere dust free in your house. Just do it in an area you consider "clean" and youll be good.

MrDeeds
Jun 15, 2010, 03:32 AM
I'd recommend getting a "real" screen protector not that joke made by zagg.

Sgp, power support, boxwave, doesn't matter just pick one.

The wet installs of the zagg and the rubbery feel of the product is terrible.

Even though the guys above me were jerks it would be a good idea to make sure it works correctly.

My first two ipads were duds.

siryellow1
Jun 16, 2010, 02:18 PM
It's not like you can't rub off fingerprints, and de-dust it after using it.

Seems pretty silly to me to go straight for the protector since you obviously care a lot about getting to experience it "raw."

Ingram
Jun 16, 2010, 03:10 PM
I think you should at least try to turn the iPad on and make sure it starts up and works well. Just be a bit careful with your iPad until you get some shield/case on.

And personally, I like "rubbery" shield with wet installation. I've tried so many 'dry' shields, and can never get it right. And when some dust gets trapped and needs washing, those so-called washable shields all get messy or get even more dust sticking to it while drying. Doesn't mean IS is the best shield, though.