PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in SoCal...

sparkomatic
Jun 14, 2010, 11:29 PM
I hope that doesn't affect my pre-order! haha

Built
Jun 14, 2010, 11:31 PM
I hope that doesn't affect my pre-order! haha

I'm in Playa del Rey...by the beach north of LAX...and I haven't felt anything.

BigdaddyMBP
Jun 14, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm in Playa del Rey...by the beach north of LAX...and I haven't felt anything.

Down in San Diego it shook pretty good for a bit... nothing like the 6.9-7.2 on mothers day tho

macslayer118
It's probably everyone clicking their mouse hitting refresh at the same time

compg318
Oh noes. Is that why the Apple store isn't updating???!?!?

I needz my preorder.

outphase
Down in San Diego it shook pretty good for a bit... nothing like the 6.9-7.2 on mothers day tho

Is it odd that the aftershock came first? :rolleyes:

sparkomatic
Jun 14, 2010, 11:34 PM
It was a 5.9

5 mi. SE of Ocotillo, CA

Apparently, it wasn't strong enough to take down the Apple Store...

CylonGlitch
I'm outside of Irvine, it as a short but sweet shake. Things that were loose shook well, but yeah, nothing like the Mother's Day shake.

OceanView
Felt it

AbSoluTc
Jun 14, 2010, 11:35 PM
These threads are hilarious. :D

Mystikal
Jun 14, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'm outside of Irvine, it as a short but sweet shake. Things that were loose shook well, but yeah, nothing like the Mother's Day shake.

Live in irvine but am in Riverside now. I felt nothing :(.

BigdaddyMBP
Jun 14, 2010, 11:37 PM
Is it odd that the aftershock came first? :rolleyes:

Yeah that was weird... my wife and I were like oh.. that was nothing, and then a big burst came for a second and we went out in the back yard :)

compg318
Jun 14, 2010, 11:38 PM
Yeah that was weird... my wife and I were like oh.. that was nothing, and then a big burst came for a second and we went out in the back yard :)

Probbaly the fact that its near midnight. But I could not stop laughing at this post.

mac'inmama
Jun 14, 2010, 11:39 PM
Having grown up in So. Cal, if a bridge or building hasn't collapsed and the earth hasn't swallowed anyone, it's just another day in CA.

synnerg
Jun 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
I was not going to buy a new iphone, but this earthquake made my 3G drop off the tabletop outside while i was grilling and now it has a spiderweb crack on the screen.

This sucks - or is is just fate?

sparkomatic
Jun 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
Having grown up in So. Cal, if a bridge or building hasn't collapsed and the earth hasn't swallowed anyone, it's just another day in CA.

This is very true. I couldn't resist...had to get in on the 'pre-order frenzy' here :D

BigdaddyMBP
Jun 14, 2010, 11:41 PM

Nice, normally I try to be funny like that, now I just do it at random:)

rtabdo
Jun 14, 2010, 11:41 PM
Here in La Jolla felt it like crazy!

mac'inmama
Jun 14, 2010, 11:43 PM
Nice, normally I try to be funny like that, now I just do it at random:)

HAHA. It's not funny, it's true.

mbell75
Wasnt much in Anaheim, I didnt even stop what I was doing

iMJustAGuy
I was not going to buy a new iphone, but this earthquake made my 3G drop off the tabletop outside while i was grilling and now it has a spiderweb crack on the screen.

This sucks - or is is just fate?

Neither. It's a lie.

billy3785
Jun 14, 2010, 11:45 PM
we felt it here in coronado! but my boyfriend in irvine said that his mirror just rattled

F123D
Jun 14, 2010, 11:47 PM
Felt it here in San Diego, Fashion Valley. I think somethings happening with the apple store. :D

AbSoluTc
Jun 14, 2010, 11:49 PM
I felt it in Virginia. :p

iMJustAGuy
Jun 14, 2010, 11:49 PM
I felt it in Virginia. :p

beach?

mac'inmama
Jun 14, 2010, 11:50 PM
Felt it here in San Diego, Fashion Valley. I think somethings happening with the apple store. :D

FOnd memories. Bought my very first Apple Computer in that store.

mrrish
Jun 14, 2010, 11:50 PM
La Jolla got a good shake. San Diego is has nothing to worry about, its east county that has to worry!

iLoveMyApple
Jun 14, 2010, 11:51 PM
Here in Riverside and I felt it!

rtabdo
Jun 14, 2010, 11:51 PM
FOnd memories. Bought my very first Apple Computer in that store.

You hear about the Microsoft store opening near you guys on the day of iPhone launch?

CylonGlitch
Jun 14, 2010, 11:52 PM
You hear about the Microsoft store opening near you guys on the day of iPhone launch?

Yeah, don't bother, the one in Mission Viejo just sucks.

kolture1
Jun 14, 2010, 11:54 PM
i felt it.. it was like 2 second.. 5.7 they were saying

Torresangel88
Jun 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
Nothing shook here in riverside

iLoveMyApple
Jun 14, 2010, 11:58 PM
Nothing shook here in riverside

Yeah it did. I felt it and I'm in Riverside.

jerrycrum
Jun 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
In anaheim, barely felt it in our second story apartment. God was impatient for his iphone preorder...

murdercitydevil
Jun 15, 2010, 12:02 AM
no that was just my ass

iLoveMyApple
Jun 15, 2010, 12:20 AM
In anaheim, barely felt it in our second story apartment. God was impatient for his iphone preorder...

+1

yiyopr
Jun 17, 2010, 12:07 AM
Felt it

"Can you feel it Mr. Krabs?"

Only cool people know where that quote comes from. :cool:

leomac08
Jul 7, 2010, 07:11 PM
Okay who felt the earthquake? 5.4 near palm springs in southern California?!!!

For me it felt my room became a boat! I moved sideways and my head started getting dizzy! In a way.:p

Doctor Q
Jul 7, 2010, 07:13 PM
I'll try typing despite the swaying building...

We just had a very long rolling quake. The first reports say it was magnitude 5.4, centered near Borrego Springs (http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=borrego+springs&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Borrego+Springs,+San+Diego,+California&gl=us&ei=Yxc1TKT9GoH48Aam6IWAAw&ved=0CCkQ8gEwAA&ll=33.254767,-116.375427&spn=1.559481,1.738586&z=9), northeast of San Diego.

This might have been the result of the recent quakes in Mexico, loosening up the north-south faultlines, or it could have been a reaction to the recent Coachella Music Festival (not far away), because it shook things up too!

Brien
Jul 7, 2010, 07:16 PM
Shook the apartment for a good 10 seconds. I'm so used to them, I just kept typing my post on MR.

rhett7660
Jul 7, 2010, 07:18 PM
In downtown LA and in an eight story building. It was pretty strong..

MacMini2009
Jul 7, 2010, 07:19 PM
Lol, I was watching Attack of the Show and they just came back from commercial and the cellphones that were hanging above them were shaking.

JediZenMaster
Jul 7, 2010, 07:23 PM
Wow i'm glad everyone is okay. I'm on the east coast we dont have Quakes here yet :cool: Hopefully there won't ever be a real devasting quake out there that would be bad news for Apple if it was.

RawBert
Jul 7, 2010, 07:57 PM
It was looooong. But not that strong. I was on the 9th floor of an office building in Glendale.

The media's really making a big deal of this one and there's no damage anywhere. They keep interviewing scared people. Kinda funny.

Macky-Mac
Jul 7, 2010, 07:58 PM
didn't feel it at all here in west los angeles.... this is the first I've heard that there was one

snberk103
Jul 8, 2010, 10:06 AM
Wow i'm glad everyone is okay. I'm on the east coast we dont have Quakes here yet :cool: ...

You obviously missed the 5.5 quake June 23rd, centred north of Ottawa but widely felt in the North East USA :)

And for an obscure reference.... the Ottawa 'quake is what Linda Keen was afraid of, and got fired over... hope this doesn't get the thread bumped to PRSI ;)

leomac08
Jul 8, 2010, 11:43 AM
And for an obscure reference.... the Ottawa 'quake is what Linda Keen was afraid of, and got fired over... hope this doesn't get the thread bumped to PRSI ;)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you dun it now boy!:p

snberk103
Jul 9, 2010, 05:10 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you dun it now boy!:p

Ahhhh, but do you know what I dun? I'm surprised I didn't hook any fellow canucks. We could have pushed this thread into PRSI faster than you can say "The new GG never worked at the CBC, so what's up with that, eh?" :D

Doctor Q
Oct 21, 2010, 02:22 PM
October 21, 2010, 10:21 am: The Great California ShakeOut (http://www.shakeout.org/) - earthquake preparedness campaign

October 21, 2010, 10:53 am: real 6.9 quake rattles California (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/magnitude-69-quake-hits-gulf-of-california-2010-10-21)

The State of California must have had inside information. :cool:

leomac08
Oct 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
October 21, 2010, 10:21 am: The Great California ShakeOut (http://www.shakeout.org/) - earthquake preparedness campaign

October 21, 2010, 10:53 am: real 6.9 quake rattles California (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/magnitude-69-quake-hits-gulf-of-california-2010-10-21)

The State of California must have had inside information. :cool:

the earthquake was rigged?:D

or we can predict earthquakes...

those people at Pasadena don't say alot during news conferences and make reporters look dumb sometimes with their obnoxious anwsers.

Epsilon88
Oct 24, 2010, 12:04 AM
My friends in Cali didn't even feel it!

Doctor Q
May 30, 2012, 12:21 AM
Hey, stop shaking my house (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/FaultMaps/119-34.html)!

I felt a quake a few minutes ago here in Los Angeles. Preliminary reports put the magnitude in the mere 4s.

RawBert
May 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
I barely felt it and thought it was just my imagination. Hope it's not a foreshock. *gasp!*

fox10078
May 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
I barely felt it and thought it was just my imagination. Hope it's not a foreshock. *gasp!*

same here, Good to know im not crazy.

Doctor Q
May 30, 2012, 12:48 AM
We're all feeling the effects of RawBert's imagination! :eek:

Doctor Q
Sep 7, 2012, 02:10 AM
We had an earthquake about 7 minutes ago. The first report I saw rated it as a 3.5 centered in Beverly Hills. it was a little after midnight so it no doubt woke up quite a few people.

MacNut
Sep 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
We had an earthquake about 7 minutes ago. The first report I saw rated it as a 3.5 centered in Beverly Hills. it was a little after midnight so it no doubt woke up quite a few people.Get your life vests ready. Might be sliding into the pacific at any moment.

sumone
Sep 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
Glad I missed it, better not be another one while i'm out here! I'll take my hurricanes and snow storms over an earthquake any day.

Doctor Q
Mar 17, 2014, 10:10 AM
Today's earthquake was magnitude 4.4, at 6:25am, centered near Encino California. We felt a couple of violent shakes.

An interesting start to St. Patrick's Day!

Image from USGS.

phrehdd
Mar 17, 2014, 05:06 PM
I lived in the second hardest hit area during the Northridge quake. This quake was like a baby aftershock compared to the Northridge quake. Not much ado about anything.

NukeIT
Mar 18, 2014, 01:36 AM
It woke me up this morning, but all I did was roll over and go back to sleep

Gutwrench
Mar 18, 2014, 06:26 AM
Today's earthquake was magnitude 4.4, at 6:25am, centered near Encino California. We felt a couple of violent shakes.

An interesting start to St. Patrick's Day!

Image from USGS.

Many years ago I signed up for their free notification service. It a nice configurable service.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/

Doctor Q
Mar 28, 2014, 11:25 PM
Is my typing shaky? We've had five earthquakes in a row this evening in Los Angeles.

Magnitudes: 3.6, 2.1, 5.1, 3.4, and just now a 2.0.

And maybe more to come.

thatoneguy82
Mar 28, 2014, 11:41 PM
Is my typing shaky? We've had five earthquakes in a row this evening in Los Angeles.

Magnitudes: 3.6, 2.1, 5.1, 3.4, and just now a 2.0.

And maybe more to come.

Oh wow, I totally thought I was imagining that. I was just at the drive thru window and felt my car shaking but just chalked it up to maybe a truck passing by or something. I knew there was something more to it!

MacNut
Mar 28, 2014, 11:46 PM
Oh wow, I totally thought I was imagining that. I was just at the drive thru window and felt my car shaking but just chalked it up to maybe a truck passing by or something. I knew there was something more to it!Or if you were at Taco Bell it could have been someone in the bathroom.:D

leomac08
Mar 29, 2014, 12:14 AM
Felt it for a good minute here in Inglewood....I was shaving.... :mad: ran outside half shaved...

then I took a selfie and snap chatted it to my friends :D

RawBert
Mar 29, 2014, 12:14 AM
The Big One's coming soon.

:eek:

bradl
Mar 29, 2014, 12:20 AM
Heh.. Earthquakes in SoCal, and tornados yesterday up here in NorCal.

Being from the midwest, I'll take the tornados. ;)

BL.

Gutwrench
Mar 29, 2014, 06:15 AM

BL.

I'm just the opposite, being from the Midwest but spent half my life in the Bay Area, I'll take the earthquakes.

impulse462
Mar 29, 2014, 01:15 PM

BL.

I'm just the opposite, being from the Midwest but spent half my life in the Bay Area, I'll take the earthquakes.

I'm from the midwest too, but I've never seen an actual twister, but been in a lot of tornado warning "situations." I've been in the bay area for college and have yet to experience an earthquake.

bradl
Mar 29, 2014, 05:46 PM
I'm from the midwest too, but I've never seen an actual twister, but been in a lot of tornado warning "situations." I've been in the bay area for college and have yet to experience an earthquake.

I grew up in Tornado alley. spent my life between Omaha and Oklahoma City, and down that I-35 corridor. I've been through a couple of F4s, that make storm chasers bust a few nuts in trying to get to.

Which is why out here in Sacramento, the 'tornado' we had in Roseville (10 miles northeast) was nothing; it was something I would go out and dance to 'Singin' in the Rain'.

Funnily enough, people were out trying to record it onto their phones as if it was the biggest phenomenon to hit the planet.

Sacramento, incidentally is more seismically stable than most of the state, even though we are roughly 100 miles from both the San Andreas (which was on Loma Prieta in 1989), and the Hayward fault line (overdue to go off). Both are roughly 15 miles apart (split by the bay). I felt a rumble that could be likened to foreplay in the bed with the one in Truckee. Other than that, I felt the Ludlow earthquake in 2002 in Las Vegas, as my aunt did in Phoenix, and my uncle did in San Diego. That one made the Bellagio and Stratosphere shake.

In all honesty, in being from the midwest, if I'm going to go down to natural disaster, I at least want to see what is going to take me out, not have it happen and have the consequences take me out. Perfect Example: Loma Prieta when it cause those cars to fall when it collapsed the Bay Bridge. You could still see the damage from that if you were on the old span of the Bay Bridge.

BL.

rhett7660
Mar 30, 2014, 11:03 AM
The Big One's coming soon.

:eek:

Stop! :D

It has been a rocky few days to say the least........

oldhifi
Mar 30, 2014, 11:07 AM
Stay safe, get your bug out pack ready..

Gutwrench
Mar 30, 2014, 11:20 AM
Which is why out here in Sacramento, the 'tornado' we had in Roseville (10 miles northeast) was nothing...

Funnily enough, people were out trying to record it onto their phones as if it was the biggest phenomenon to hit the planet.

Funnily enough? Was that an unintended pun?

When I moved to California in the early 80's I landed in an apartment in Rohnert Park. In the first couple weeks a thunderstorm rolled through with quite a bit of lightning and thunder. I called down from my second story unit asking a large group of people why they were gathered in the parking lot. They looked astonished at me and pointed to the light show in the evening sky. I replied, "that's all?" and returned indoors. I think that was the last time I saw lightning and heard thunder in the twenty years I lived in the Bay Area.

Perfect Example: Loma Prieta when it cause those cars to fall when it collapsed the Bay Bridge. You could still see the damage from that if you were on the old span of the Bay Bridge.

I expected the Cypress structure would be your example.

I worked through Loma Prieta (and others) and went through two tornados (I don't remember their F rating) while growing up in Iowa and honestly I prefer quakes.

Doctor Q
Mar 30, 2014, 05:59 PM
I thought that these medium-sized quakes were "relieving pressure" that might lessen the intensity of subsequent quakes, but we saw an interview with an expert who said that's not the case, that the small quakes make no significant difference to "the big one" that will eventually hit us.

mrkramer
Mar 30, 2014, 06:51 PM

BL.

I'd much rather have the earthquakes, as long as you're in a building that is somewhat new they are built to withstand them and it would take a huge earthquake to do much damage.

quagmire
Mar 30, 2014, 08:17 PM
Yellowstone Park( a super volcano) is among the recent rounds of earthquakes with a 4.8.

rhett7660
Mar 31, 2014, 06:14 PM
Yellowstone Park( a super volcano) is among the recent rounds of earthquakes with a 4.8.

Ok that is scary stuff. If that sucker goes off....... :eek:

bradl
Apr 1, 2014, 10:14 AM
Ok that is scary stuff. If that sucker goes off....... :eek:

The Nemaha fault line, which goes slightly west of the Missouri river, and down through Oklahoma is roughly 210 years late for going off. there were a couple of rumbles there, but it is long overdue.

There is another fault line that is more concerning than both the San Andreas and Hayward faults to make California go away (trying to remember the name; it was mentioned on a news bump yesterday), as it cuts right through the bulk of the Los Angeles area. It is closer to the ones that have gone off over the past few days, but is also overdue. That one is more dangerous, because of it being a lot closer to the buildings than San Andreas, Ludlow, or Hayward.

If either of those in California go off, I'm going to have beachfront property at my place in Las Vegas! ;)

BL.

quagmire
Apr 1, 2014, 11:03 AM
If either of those in California go off, I'm going to have beachfront property at my place in Las Vegas! ;)

BL.

Californians though might want to split off from the rest of the US. As they will be further away from Yellowstone. That beachfront property you will have in Las Vegas will be useless when it is buried under volcanic ash. ;)