Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malbright

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Hi folks,
Can anyone help me understand the protocol I should use for installing CS5 Design Premium and getting rid of my CS3 apps?

By the way, this will be an upgrade installation from a download.

Your expertise would be really appreciated!

Many thanks.

malbright

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Appreciate the answer, thanks. But some have said that the previous installs should be removed BEFORE the new CS5 version is installed, otherwise, if the previous versions are removed AFTER the new install, some vital bits and pieces will be removed and it will negatively effect the new install.

This is the crux of my question.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
DONT use app zapper. CS3 is special and it wont remove everything. Use the CS3 uninstall thats in the Adobe folder.

Yes, its true that if you install afterwords crucial pieces will be missing. Trust me. First hand experience (and reinstalling CS5 now).

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....By the way, this will be an upgrade installation from a download....

I don't know how upgrades to CS5 are set up but IIRC in the past adobe's upgrade installer searched for the previous version before it would install the upgrade

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
I uninstalled CS4 after installing CS5 and had no issues so far but I guess the safest way is to uninstall it prior to installing CS5. and yeah don't use App Zapper, in the Utilities folder in Applications there is an uninstaller that Adobe provides

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
If your CS5 is an upgrade, it will want proof that you own a previous version. If that previous version is on your system it will just roll with it.

If that previous version is not on your system, you will need to enter the CS3 Serial Number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.