PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff, St Davids 2

wildoofsmeg
Jun 15, 2010, 06:04 AM
Hey guys, after looking through the UK iPhone 4 Thread I noticed quite a number of people from the Cardiff are reserving so figured it could be of interest to us all if we arranged a meet up, what do you say?

Tibsie
Jun 15, 2010, 06:05 AM
I'm in.

TheAlchemist
Jun 15, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'll most likely be there, not sure what time yet. Two hour drive so I'll need to work out how early I'm willing to get up lol

spooky2k
Jun 16, 2010, 01:10 PM
Count me in guys! I plan on going in early and checking out my carrier store of choice. My phone is reserved, but if I can avoid the queuing, I will do.

wildoofsmeg
Jun 18, 2010, 05:26 AM
Well now that I know there are 10 times more people interested in this thing then I think queueing is probably for the best. I may have to pop in to the store at some point and find out what doors are opening for the centre and when. Unless somebody else has already checked?

vitaminz
Jun 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
Well now that I know there are 10 times more people interested in this thing then I think queueing is probably for the best. I may have to pop in to the store at some point and find out what doors are opening for the centre and when. Unless somebody else has already checked?

Hi all :)

I emailled St Davids enquiring about when they'll open and got this reply:

"I'm pretty sure it'll be the same format as the Ipad launch.* We will open the tredegar street entrance at 8am, this is the entrance that is closest to John Lewis.*"

spencerlamb
Jun 19, 2010, 05:58 AM
I have reserved the iphone 4 at my local cardiff apple retail store and was wondering if this means sim free purchase only? i want to take a mothly contract out with vodafone can anyone assist? Will apple be doing this? thanks Spencer.

antdawe
Jun 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hi all I'm in for a meet up. I'll be heading down there about 7am if no queues then it'll be a Mcdonalds for some brekkie. Got one pre ordered and need to pick up one for my brother.

Just spoke with Apple store cardiff who confirmed that the John Lewis end and the Cineworld end will both be open at 8am for the Apple store and the o2 store. He also confirmed that they will be having both Black and White handsets and there will be extra handsets for walk in customers.

antdawe
Jun 19, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have reserved the iphone 4 at my local cardiff apple retail store and was wondering if this means sim free purchase only? i want to take a mothly contract out with vodafone can anyone assist? Will apple be doing this? thanks Spencer.

You have basically reserved the handset. It is up to you what you want to do with it when you arrive at store. If you want Vodafone just make sure you take two forms of ID. one photo and two forms of proof of address.

wildoofsmeg
Jun 20, 2010, 06:41 AM
I thought the centre opened earlier than 8 for the ipad launch. I don't know for sure as I wasn't there, but I was certain I heard it opened earlier than that.

vitaminz
Jun 20, 2010, 01:05 PM
I thought the centre opened earlier than 8 for the ipad launch. I don't know for sure as I wasn't there, but I was certain I heard it opened earlier than that.

I would think it'd open before 8am too :confused:. Might be in town tomorrow or Tuesday, so if I am I'll ask some staff in St David's. Will let you guys know what they say.

Cooper3k
Jun 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
Hey guys. I am planning on getting there for 8am. What you reckon the queues will be like that early? The guy I spoke to at the store didn't give the impression that they were expectingit to be mega busy at 8am.

wildoofsmeg
Jun 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
Alrighty, went into town today to take a look around and your right, the apple store is currently saying that the centre will open at 8 to which I said was very odd and he agreed. Then he said to call them on wednesday night to find out to see if they have changed anything, which he thinks they will. Also I was right the centre opened early for the iPad.

Also got me a microsim all up and running, yay!

LondonCentral
Jun 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'm going to be in Cardiff, what are the chances of me just walking in a picking up a phone?

I haven't reserved anything :o

spooky2k
Jun 22, 2010, 03:56 AM
I'm going to be in Cardiff, what are the chances of me just walking in a picking up a phone?

I haven't reserved anything :o

Knowing someone from here that has two reservations and that they may only need one? I'd say good ;)

PM me.

spooky2k
Jun 22, 2010, 03:58 AM
Opening time for the Apple store is 8am...

Carphone warehouse is opening at 7am.

Orange store is opening at 7am.

Not sure about you guys, but I'll be checking the queues at those stores before I head to the apple store. Only 2 minutes down the road.

LondonCentral
Jun 22, 2010, 04:31 AM
I'm sure I'll manage to get myself out of bed early and go for a walk around town. I like to loiter and see what's what. :D

Only other hurdle I've got is in the form of a 150 gift voucher given to me for my birthday, which apparently I can't use to buy an iphone because it's not an 'iphone gift voucher'! I'm sure there are ways though...:p

Cooper3k
Jun 22, 2010, 05:41 AM
For some reason I'm getting a little nervous that I won't actually get the iPhone 4 on release day even though I have reserved it and even rang the store to check if I was on the list. Anyone else feel the same?

What time are you guys planning in getting there? I've read on some US forums that people are planning on getting to their store for 8pm the night before. That's insane!!

I'll aim to be in Cardiff for about 7 to check other stores and even the queue for the apple store. If nothing is too busy I'll be straight to McDonalds for a breakfast!!

Anyone upgrading their contract for an iPhone 4 instead of taking out a new one?

Procrastination
Jun 22, 2010, 10:42 AM
I was told by a member of staff in the O2 shop in St David's that they will be opening at normal time (09:30) as they have less footfall than the Queen Street Shop which will open at 08:02? They did say that they may open early if lots of people are about to get things moving?

Abcmsaj
Jun 22, 2010, 11:05 AM
aI'm torn between going to Bristol or going to Cardiff... I just rung Cardiff up and they said the John Lewis entrance will be open, so that's where I'll be queuing... but he didn't have a clue about white iPhone 4s..

Just spoke with Apple store cardiff who confirmed that the John Lewis end and the Cineworld end will both be open at 8am for the Apple store and the o2 store. He also confirmed that they will be having both Black and White handsets and there will be extra handsets for walk in customers.

So is this 100% genuine? Because the reason I'm driving 60 miles is to pick up 2 white iPhones... and if they don't have white, I'll go with black, but white is obviously what me and my brother realllllly wanted.

I've never done a launch line before... What are the chances of me being near the front of the queue if I join the queue at about 1am?

Also

I was just in Cardiff's Apple Store and, although quite busy, ALL variants of the iPad were available to buy and take home right there and then.
from an old thread.

antdawe
Jun 22, 2010, 11:17 AM
aI'm torn between going to Bristol or going to Cardiff... I just rung Cardiff up and they said the John Lewis entrance will be open, so that's where I'll be queuing... but he didn't have a clue about white iPhone 4s..

So is this 100% genuine? Because the reason I'm driving 60 miles is to pick up 2 white iPhones... and if they don't have white, I'll go with black, but white is obviously what me and my brother realllllly wanted.

I've never done a launch line before... What are the chances of me being near the front of the queue if I join the queue at about 1am?

Also

from an old thread.

100% I do not know. I'm only going from what the apple guy told me on the phone. I phoned again today just to confirm my registration and i dropped the question about White ones and she said yes they will have them. I wouldn't count on it as when I asked to you have stock amounts etc she started mumbling.

The st David's car park will be open for us aswell.

Cooper3k
Jun 22, 2010, 11:31 AM

1am?! Damn. I don't intend on getting there until about 7am!! I don't know about near the front but you DEFINATELY won't be at the end.

Abcmsaj
Jun 22, 2010, 01:14 PM
100% I do not know. I'm only going from what the apple guy told me on the phone. I phoned again today just to confirm my registration and i dropped the question about White ones and she said yes they will have them. I wouldn't count on it as when I asked to you have stock amounts etc she started mumbling.

The st David's car park will be open for us aswell.

Ok cool... I rang them and the guy told me he had no idea. No worries though, I have faith + hope.. -.- (fingers crossed)

1am?! Damn. I don't intend on getting there until about 7am!! I don't know about near the front but you DEFINATELY won't be at the end.

I'm just taking precautions. I'll bring my iPad for reading materials, should manage to stay awake til 7 :)

Cooper3k
Jun 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm just taking precautions. I'll bring my iPad for reading materials, should manage to stay awake til 7 :)

That's fair enough. I don't think I have the mental stamina for such a long wait. I just get too bored. The longest I ever did was the X-Box 360 launch for 4 hours. Almost killed me.

Abcmsaj
Jun 22, 2010, 04:51 PM
That's fair enough. I don't think I have the mental stamina for such a long wait. I just get too bored. The longest I ever did was the X-Box 360 launch for 4 hours. Almost killed me.

well at the moment I work in Gamestation so I get to do all the midnight launches... fun -.- :p

From July though, I quit Gamestation (sadly :() and get to work in... Carphone. So I'm ready for iPhone 5 ;) haha

Procrastination
Jun 23, 2010, 05:11 AM
O2 shop in St David's will be opening at 08:02 - O2 have added it to the list on their website.......

TheAlchemist
Jun 23, 2010, 05:38 AM
I shall hopefully be arriving in cardiff around 6am. With my sense of direction and lack of an iphone (As i recycled mine) i should find the store about 10am lol

Procrastination
Jun 23, 2010, 05:40 AM
Apple store or O2?

Abcmsaj
Jun 23, 2010, 05:42 AM
Both O2 and Apple are opening at 8:00ish.

I hope I'm not like... 5th in the outside-queue and then 30th in the inside queue coz everyone runs in like a maniac. :(

Procrastination
Jun 23, 2010, 05:45 AM
I know, The Apple store is not far from the doors that are being openend but the O2 store is further along and there are normally some shutters that section off the shops from the "food halls" which I hope won't cause problems at that time?! I dont know when they plan to open the doors to allow people into the building itself?

Procrastination
Jun 23, 2010, 10:04 AM
Carphone Warehouse Cardiff St David's only have 12 iPhone 4 16GB black and 4 iphone 4 32GB according to a sales assistant. Thet also said they will not take pre-orders and won't be opening until 09:30.

Abcmsaj
Jun 23, 2010, 10:25 AM
Apple Cardiff told me they have no White in stock. I don't think he knows what he was talking about though... he didn't seem to know much about iPads when i tested him on them afterwards... Fingers are still crossed.

TheAlchemist
Jun 23, 2010, 10:53 AM
I rang up today to ask about my reservation. Basically i asked for pay monthly as im currently on contract. But as i want to change my contract to 25 a month simplicity and buy the phone outright i thought i may have to change the details of my reservation.

I was told that i would have to que with the rest of the people without reservations as my phone has been locked to O2 only :S. So when i told her i would be using O2 anyway she told me that i would still need to do that. So i'm screwed now if that's true...

wildoofsmeg
Jun 23, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hey guys just got off the phone with the store. the centre opens at 6 at the John Lewis end and the store will now open at 7!!!! Good times. Just changed today, I presume it's to stop people going to the O2 store downstairs now that is opening early.

antdawe
Jun 23, 2010, 12:38 PM
I rang up today to ask about my reservation. Basically i asked for pay monthly as im currently on contract. But as i want to change my contract to 25 a month simplicity and buy the phone outright i thought i may have to change the details of my reservation.

I was told that i would have to que with the rest of the people without reservations as my phone has been locked to O2 only :S. So when i told her i would be using O2 anyway she told me that i would still need to do that. So i'm screwed now if that's true...

Thats nonsense. How would they know who you intended to go on contract with when you pre ordered? They lock the phones there and then when you sort it out.

Procrastination
Jun 23, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hey guys just got off the phone with the store. the centre opens at 6 at the John Lewis end and the store will now open at 7!!!! Good times. Just changed today, I presume it's to stop people going to the O2 store downstairs now that is opening early.

The O2 shop downstairs wasn't opening early, then the O2 website said it was. Then a shop assistant in there said it had changed and it wasn't, would be opening at normal time and so I checked the O2 to site and they have ammended it saying it isn't opening early?!?

Abcmsaj
Jun 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
Excellent... I'll be there at 1am with my ginger friend. Feel free to say hi XD

wildoofsmeg
Jun 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
Good god man thats crazy early, though this will probably mean that you will be at the front of the queue. Do you have a reservation?

Abcmsaj
Jun 23, 2010, 03:33 PM
Good god man thats crazy early, though this will probably mean that you will be at the front of the queue. Do you have a reservation?

Nope, that's why I'm coming early. I was also hoping for the white one but my hopes have been crushed thanks to Apple's last minute press release. Black with a white bumper will do!

wildoofsmeg
Jun 23, 2010, 03:50 PM
Well best of luckto you. Myself I'll be turning up at around 5:30 - 6 with my gf and a friend who also has a reservation. It depends on how quickly we can eat our McDonalds. Anyways I'm off to bed as ive been getting up at 4:45 every morning for work. Night all and see you in the queue.

spooky2k
Jun 23, 2010, 04:51 PM
Well best of luckto you. Myself I'll be turning up at around 5:30 - 6 with my gf and a friend who also has a reservation. It depends on how quickly we can eat our McDonalds. Anyways I'm off to bed as ive been getting up at 4:45 every morning for work. Night all and see you in the queue.

See you guys there! Wonder if any others will be there or if it'll be all use forum users geeking out on our lonesome?

LondonCentral
Jun 23, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'm going in later in the day. Glad I'm waiting for the white one, not happy about the apparent faults some of the units are having. When Apple has fixes for everything I'll part with my cash. :)

spencerlamb
Jun 23, 2010, 10:46 PM
im finishing work at 7am so il be heading straight over to the vodafone shop as that is meant to be opening at 7am also. If the queue is looooong then il head over to the apple store to pick up my reserved iphone although im thinking the queue is going to be wild! (LONG) if so we can always come back later on in the day to get it! yer right i want mine NOW PEOPLE! my 3g has had it. Adios and good luck

wildoofsmeg
Jun 23, 2010, 11:59 PM
Ok it's 6 and I'm in the rather small reservation queue. 6 people in total.

wildoofsmeg
Jun 24, 2010, 12:50 AM
D'oh opening delayed by an hour due to technical difficulties. Damn it.

Cooper3k
Jun 24, 2010, 04:11 AM
Overall, an excellent experience. Got there about 6:20 and was about 10th in the reservation line and the service from apple was great. They came out and handed out water and chocolate and explained a few things which I couldn't really hear (something about the 3GS?). Store opened at 8 and the first lot went in and then as a part of the second lot, we got to have a quick play on the iPhone's on display while we waited for a rep to see to us. I was out of the by about 8:40 and got a handshake and a congratulations on the way out. This was the first time I've bought anything from the apple store and was very impressed with it all!! Now to sync my iPhone!

Procrastination
Jun 24, 2010, 05:17 AM
Arrived at Queen Street O2 at about 05:20, was suprised by the number of people there, I was about number 26! was sorted with my upgrade and out by 08:45. They had much larger stock than I thought, about 80 16GB and slightly less 32GB.

Abcmsaj
Jun 24, 2010, 05:28 AM
...Wow... how incredibly stressful. Haha..

Procrastination
Jun 24, 2010, 05:52 AM
It was all good. They had some PR girls there giving out drinks, newspapers and food and I even managed to get some work done on my netbook.

TheAlchemist
Jun 24, 2010, 07:00 AM
cooper3k you were close to me then lol i was number 8. Plus first one out!

Also i didnt have a micro sim so needed to go to the O2 store which had a massive que, but they were really helpful, let me straight in and gave me a microsim no problem!

Cooper3k
Jun 24, 2010, 08:10 AM
cooper3k you were close to me then lol i was number 8. Plus first one out!

Also i didnt have a micro sim so needed to go to the O2 store which had a massive que, but they were really helpful, let me straight in and gave me a microsim no problem!

Must have been close. I noticed the big applause when the first person left with an iPhone. I wasn't far behind! I felt the need to hide my Apple bag when I walked passed the o2 shop and saw their MASSIVE queue.

I had a MicroSIM given to me instore.

When did they start letting those who hadn't reserved an iPhone in?

luvitruff
Jun 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
Phew, that was a lot of queuing :)
We got there at 8:20 and left at around 11:30!

There was still a long queue when we left - the reserved line was being topped up the whole time.
Felt really sorry for the 'un-reserved', they seemed to be letting them in only when a contract went tits-up?

Finally got home half an hour ago and I'm syncing as I type.
Credit to Vodafone, my sim is active and playing nicely. My partner's O2 sim is still not up and running :p

As usual the Apple staff were fab - very friendly, chatty and helpful, couldn't have asked for better!

Abcmsaj
Jun 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg138/scaled.php?tn=0&server=138&filename=a72i.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Here's the best photo I took all night/morning :)

Cooper3k
Jun 24, 2010, 11:50 AM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg138/scaled.php?tn=0&server=138&filename=a72i.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Here's the best photo I took all night/morning :)

I saw you guys. Must have been there super early!! Manage to get it?

Xemi
Jun 24, 2010, 12:36 PM
I got to the O2 store on Queen's Street at around 6.45 am... Didn't get out until 11.45 lol my feet/legs are still killing me now haha... Although tbh the service provided by O2 was amazing, they walked round the queue like every 30mins with free drinks/Danish pastries/news papers for people :)

Edit: Also according to one of the employees at O2, 2 people were mugged on Queen's Street just after leaving the O2 store :(

tinkerbelluk
Jun 24, 2010, 12:38 PM
Abcmsaj - we saw you guys as well and as we left we said we were hoping they let you in soon as it looks like you'd been there for a while. Please tell me you got the phone you wanted?

iKennett
Jun 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
Abcmsaj, the other half an I spotted you to today ;)

Did anyone notice that an old women appearing to have a go at the manager at the front of the store on 4 occasions? It appeared (from a distance) that she was trying to push in front of the queue and get special treatment?

We arrived around 07:30 to join the reservations queue and the receipt said we bought our phones at 9:28

Abcmsaj
Jun 24, 2010, 01:22 PM
I saw you guys. Must have been there super early!! Manage to get it?

I managed to get one but in 32GB instead of 16GB and no white bumper :( Beggers can't be choosers though. Did you have a long wait and did you get yours?

Abcmsaj - we saw you guys as well and as we left we said we were hoping they let you in soon as it looks like you'd been there for a while. Please tell me you got the phone you wanted?

We'd been outside since 1:30am! Ha.. the next people turned up in the queue around 4am which surprised us a bit... maybe there's not as many sad gits around as I thought :p I managed to persuade a mate to lend me 100 so I could afford the 32GB model.. so at least I got something! Shame that's all they had. Did you have a long wait? What # were you in the reservation queue?

Abcmsaj, the other half an I spotted you to today ;)

Did anyone notice that an old women appearing to have a go at the manager at the front of the store on 4 occasions? It appeared (from a distance) that she was trying to push in front of the queue and get special treatment?

We arrived around 07:30 to join the reservations queue and the receipt said we bought our phones at 9:28

Ha! the fame.. :p That woman went to the front 3 or 4 times... I can tell you she was complaining about the lack of white phone and saying that she didn't want to queue. The manager offered her some chairs but he wouldn't let her cut the line because "there would be uproar" - damn right.. :D ;)

iKennett
Jun 24, 2010, 01:33 PM
Ha! the fame.. :p That woman went to the front 3 or 4 times... I can tell you she was complaining about the lack of white phone and saying that she didn't want to queue. The manager offered her some chairs but he wouldn't let her cut the line because "there would be uproar" - damn right.. :D ;)

Ha! Thanks for clearing that up was wonder what was said :D

What time did you get in? I think I remember you going in around about the same time as us, 9:30ish? (we were in the reservation line) You had some camping chairs with you?

Did you have to wait outside St Davids 2 all night? Get any trouble from the Cardiff louts?

Abcmsaj
Jun 24, 2010, 02:20 PM
Ha! Thanks for clearing that up was wonder what was said :D

What time did you get in? I think I remember you going in around about the same time as us, 9:30ish? (we were in the reservation line) You had some camping chairs with you?

Did you have to wait outside St Davids 2 all night? Get any trouble from the Cardiff louts?

Yeah.. around 9:30. Time went slow from 6-8 but went really quickly after we realised we'd have to wait for the res queue to go first! Typical.

Yeah we waited outside all night and the amazing St David's night staff checked up on us every hour or so. Course it was the England game earlier on so we had a few drunkards pass us but no one gave us any grief (thankfully)!

Cooper3k
Jun 24, 2010, 02:47 PM
I managed to get one but in 32GB instead of 16GB and no white bumper :( Beggers can't be choosers though. Did you have a long wait and did you get yours?

I was there from like 6:20 to 8:40. 16gb Black. Wanted the 32gb but reserved it late so was 'unavailable'. Just means I'll have to delete some of my least played music!

I was the idiot in red who went to bin my McDonald coffee cups in the bin then stood there for like a minute debating whether or not to put the cups in a bin that said 'plastic'. Decided against it so walked back to my spot in the queue, cups in hand. Oops

spooky2k
Jun 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
Great morning overall. I went to check on the Orange store at 6:30am and got my phone there as I managed 8th in the queue. They had 7 staff on hand, so when they opened at 8am, I was out less than half hour later.

I took a stroll to the Apple store then to tell them to release my 2 reserved 16GB handsets to the walk-in line. Hope whoever got those phones were happy as Larry with them! I wanted to get a bumper too, but they wouldn't let me in to get one until 9:30am so I went to meet a few friends in other queues.

Not a bad day in all and although it was busy, great service was provided.

Abcmsaj
Jun 24, 2010, 03:55 PM
I was there from like 6:20 to 8:40. 16gb Black. Wanted the 32gb but reserved it late so was 'unavailable'. Just means I'll have to delete some of my least played music!

I was the idiot in red who went to bin my McDonald coffee cups in the bin then stood there for like a minute debating whether or not to put the cups in a bin that said 'plastic'. Decided against it so walked back to my spot in the queue, cups in hand. Oops

Haha! I remember you XD I did the same with the Costa sample cups... one was plastic... one was cardboard... so I just decided to bung both of them in the plastic bin and hope nobody saw. haha

iKennett
Jun 24, 2010, 04:04 PM
Haha! I remember you XD I did the same with the Costa sample cups... one was plastic... one was cardboard... so I just decided to bung both of them in the plastic bin and hope nobody saw. haha

We missed out on the free coffee :( but you guys deserved it more :p

I managed to pull a big kitkat chunky out of the lucky dip sweet bag mind :D

PenLlawen
Jun 25, 2010, 11:07 AM
I managed to persuade a mate to lend me 100 so I could afford the 32GB model.. so at least I got something! Shame that's all they had.Heh. I was just inside the store (I was about 12 back in the reserved queue) when the bloke got up on a stepladder to make the announcement there was no 16Gb models for you guys. I saw your faces fall! Glad you managed to sort out getting one.

iKennett
Jun 25, 2010, 11:35 AM
Heh. I was just inside the store (I was about 12 back in the reserved queue) when the bloke got up on a stepladder to make the announcement there was no 16Gb models for you guys. I saw your faces fall! Glad you managed to sort out getting one.

I was expecting bad news the way he was thanking us all for coming like that! Assuming he is the store manager? Seemed like a tidy guy, said up front most of the morning directing things.

When he said they only have 32GB in stock I was expecting him to say only 32 iPhones in stock! Can you imaging the riot!

PenLlawen
Jun 25, 2010, 11:36 AM
cooper3k you were close to me then lol i was number 8. Plus first one out!Oh, I think we talked then -- did you stop on the way out to chat to two guys you knew about 10 places back in the reservation line?

simplybob
Jun 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
Managed to get my hands on a couple of iPhone's on Thursday in St Davids 2 but had to wait 10 hours, it was killer!

Anyone manage to get any PAYG sims from Apple? They told me they weren't allowed to sell them to me, even though another guy told me they only had Orange ones left :confused:

By the time I got my iPhone the O2 shop was shut, so I'm going to go in later on to hopefully pick one up.

vitaminz
Jun 27, 2010, 09:20 AM
Loved the free chocolate and water :) got there at 7.45 and got out at 11.20, not too bad - although some woman behind me wanted me to buy her one too if she gives me the money :/