PDA

View Full Version : New hard drive screws up computer/can't partition w/OS restore disk

Agincourt
Jun 15, 2010, 08:26 AM
I've recently purchased a 250 GB ATA hard drive for my ibook G4 (1.42 Ghtz) and decided to first test it on a powerbook G4 (12 inch 877 Megahertz). I could not get the thing booted up with an OS disk, nor does it register in firewire disk mode. So I can't perform a migration in any event.

I realize that the new drive probably needs to be reformatted to work with an Apple machine, but isn't the OS disk supposed to allow you to format new hardware? Whenever I try to boot up the computer with the OS restore DVD, it freezes and I get lines across the screen.

Question: Is this most likely a result of an old powerbook not able to equip a 250 GB hard drive? Or would this problem very likely strike my ibook if I had installed it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

max••
Jun 15, 2010, 10:15 AM
have you tried booting without the hdd installed, the symptoms sound smiler to what i got with failed gpu's of three ibooks i had

Agincourt
Jun 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
have you tried booting without the hdd installed, the symptoms sound smiler to what i got with failed gpu's of three ibooks i had

I wasn't aware you could do that. And even if I could, it doesn't address how I would migrate the OS and data from my ibook to the new hard drive. I can't exactly install the drive while the computer is in operation. And unless I'm confident that the drive works, I don't want to risk taking my ibook apart multiple times.

And I highly doubt it's the GPU, as the powerbook was working perfectly until I replaced the drive.

666sheep
Jun 16, 2010, 12:32 AM
Did you set jumper on new HDD properly (to master)?
Second: if your PB will not boot and you're getting lines on screen, you probably made some mistakes while assembling it. Especially if it was working before.

MacHamster68
Jun 16, 2010, 03:39 AM
setting master or cable select to boot , and that is interesting subject
first i guess its on all Mac's that the drives wont boot if they set to slave
but some Mac's need to be set as Master , but others need to be set as cable select , either way the easiest way to make sure the drive boots is to jumper it the same way the original harddrive was jumpered ( careful some hardrives need to be jumpered mirrored as the labels are upside down )

but your stripes on screen have absolute nothing to do with the harddrives jumper settings , so my guess is too that you messed something up when assembling it again ...or while disassembling it (static charge ? wire not connected properly or pinched ? something like that ):eek:

Agincourt
Jun 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
but your stripes on screen have absolute nothing to do with the harddrives jumper settings , so my guess is too that you messed something up when assembling it again ...or while disassembling it (static charge ? wire not connected properly or pinched ? something like that ):eek:

Nope. Didn't mess up. After reinstalling the old drive back into the PB, it seemed to work just fine.

I have to admit that the symptoms I described were more related to hardware, so this only makes everything more difficult to figure out. I almost wished the PB were broken when I started it up again with the old drive.

Anyway, I just bought a USB 2.0 HD enclosure and I'll see if I can partition the drive that way after it arrives.