PDA

View Full Version : OS X to finally get proper under/overscan correction? Updated: Confirmed

jaw04005
Jun 15, 2010, 08:44 AM
Interesting on Apple’s Web site:

Mac mini comes to the big screen.

It’s easy to connect Mac mini to the biggest screen in the house — your HDTV — courtesy of a built-in HDMI port. Plug in one HDMI cable and start enjoying content on your Mac mini in brilliant HD. Like movies and TV shows from iTunes, the Internet, and your photo library. There’s also a handy control that lets you easily adjust the output on Mac mini to fill even the biggest HDTV screen. And when you just want to listen to music, you can play your entire iTunes collection through your home entertainment center, or stream it to a set of speakers in any room via an AirPort Express Base Station.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html

Hopefully that means an actual adjustment tool, not just the current 720p/1080p/1080i settings in the Display system preference.

Updated: Macworld Sr. Editor Dan Frakes confirms the build of OS X that ships with the new Mac mini includes new underscan controls. Screenshot included.

http://www.macworld.com/article/152061/2010/06/macmini2010handson.html

darkplanets
Jun 15, 2010, 09:07 AM
You can enable/disable overscan. This much I know. It's a little checkbox.

You can also set resolution more specifically, if I recall correctly, but that might depend on the TV.

At school when hooked up via HDMI to an Insignia 42" tv, I can turn off overscan and set the resolution. Maybe its tv dependent?

I'd post screenshots, but its my roommates TV ;)

GeekLawyer
Jun 15, 2010, 10:19 AM
It would be a beautiful thing if I never had to mess around with DisplayConfigX again.

Here's to hoping!!

spice weasel
Jun 15, 2010, 12:01 PM
You can enable/disable overscan. This much I know. It's a little checkbox.

You can also set resolution more specifically, if I recall correctly, but that might depend on the TV.

At school when hooked up via HDMI to an Insignia 42" tv, I can turn off overscan and set the resolution. Maybe its tv dependent?

I'd post screenshots, but its my roommates TV ;)

Yes, this is correct. It's in the Display tab in system prefs. At least in Snow Leopard. There are now more resolution choices for external displays, as well as a checkbox for overscan. Works great for me when I connect my MacBook Pro to my TV.

Fuchal
Jun 15, 2010, 01:43 PM
That checkbox has been there forever.

Another thing you need to check is your TV - make sure it's on the 1:1 or "bit by bit" view setting, it changes depending on the manufacturer.

darkplanets
Jun 15, 2010, 06:27 PM
Sounds like you need SL mate :)

jaw04005
Jun 15, 2010, 06:58 PM
Macworld confirms the new Mac mini has new underscan controls in the Display system preference.

"In fact, Apple has even updated the Displays pane of System Preferences for the new mini to let you tweak video underscan—useful when connecting the mini to a TV. (Sorry, AV lovers—there’s no update to Front Row. Apple told us this Displays option is the only software change you’ll find.)”

http://www.macworld.com/article/152061/2010/06/macmini2010handson.html?lsrc=twt_macworld

Trying to get a screen shot from Dan Frakes. I haven’t updated to 10.6.4, can anyone confirm it’s rolled into the build? I would guess not considering 10.6.4’s development cycle, but it will likely be included for all Macs in 10.6.5.

Mac OS X has had a basic overscan checkbox for years, at least since 10.3 Panther. You don’t need Snow Leopard. I believe it was introduced when Apple started shipping S-Video adapters as optional accessories with their Macs (for projectors and SD TVs). The problem is it’s not designed to deal with the special over/underscan issues associated with HDTVs, and many HDTVs (particularly two or three year old 720p/1080i sets) don’t have 1:1 pixel mapping or “just scan” modes.

This is a big problem on the Mac side since Apple has never included OS-level controls to fix it (like NVIDIA and ATI do on the Windows side). Mac users have had to use DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX to find a convoluted calculation for their specific HDTV set or use VGA (although on many HDTVs if you use the VGA port, your TV turns off image processing and it can leave you with a muddy/washed out picture).

Edit: Big thanks to Dan at Macworld for the screenshot. Looks simple enough.

mayonaise
Jun 15, 2010, 09:42 PM
I just updated my mac mini with 10.6.4, and the underscan setting is NOT available. How incredibly disappointing, but not surprising. This is the (now) previous generation, purchased just a few months ago.

elpmas
Jun 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
should've looked at buyer's guide :p
:(

mayonaise
Jun 15, 2010, 11:30 PM
should've looked at buyer's guide :p
:( I did. The recommendation was safe, and said something like 'no major updates expected'. :( The overscan issue is hard to discover until you buy and start using the mac mini yourself.

Shoesy
Jun 16, 2010, 06:12 AM
XBMC is the way forward (and when I say XBMC I mean plex!)

aminoff
Jun 16, 2010, 09:42 AM
I just updated my mac mini with 10.6.4, and the underscan setting is NOT available. How incredibly disappointing, but not surprising. This is the (now) previous generation, purchased just a few months ago.

I Noticed the same thing on my Mac Mini after upgrading to 10.6.4.
The question is if the setting in Display Preferences is exclusive for the new Mac Mini or if it will be part of a future version of OSX, like 10.6.5 or something.

If not it would be very nice to be able to "hack" the setting and use it on an older Mac.

I would very much like to be able to adjust overscan on my Mac Mini.

Anyone with a new Mac Mini that could check?

ReggaeFire
Jun 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
The question is if the setting in Display Preferences is exclusive for the new Mac Mini or if it will be part of a future version of OSX, like 10.6.5 or something.

It probably is specific for the 320m gpu at this point, so getting it to work on a new MacBook would be simple. For older cards though... we can hope they'll work with Nvidia/ATI to get it, but who knows.

ericvmazzone
Jun 16, 2010, 03:15 PM
Does this underscan option only apply to the new mini? What about the edition available last November? I can't seem to get it to work with my HDTV.

ReggaeFire
Jun 16, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yes, at this point the new option exists only for the redesigned mini released this week. It's always possible that they'll enable it for older machines at a later date, but don't expect it.

mayonaise
Jun 16, 2010, 04:12 PM
It probably is specific for the 320m gpu at this point, so getting it to work on a new MacBook would be simple. For older cards though... we can hope they'll work with Nvidia/ATI to get it, but who knows. Now that they've implemented the underscan functionality for the new minis, it would be trivial to get it working on older ones. But I doubt they're ever going to do this, because they'd rather have you buy a new mac mini.

Using SwitchResX, I'm able to get a 720p-ish resolution that comes close to filling up my TV's screen. But I have to boot in regular 720p first, then switch over to the custom resolution. Otherwise, the image is shifted to the right for some reason. I haven't tried 1080p-ish custom resolutions yet.

tvamvarg
Jul 3, 2010, 02:36 AM
Truly pathetic if they wouldn't roll it into an SL update for everybody.
I mean, this issue is there for any TV hookup, also for MBPs etc.
Get on it Apple!!

pierrego
Jul 14, 2010, 03:25 PM
I have the new mac min. Here's what I have found:

Underscan is enabled only for the HDMI display, and only if you are using the HDMI output connected to an HDMI device (duh).

If you're using a second display (from displayport), underscan becomes disabled and greyed out IF you mirror your display between the two. If you setup your displays with the desktop spanned across the two, then underscan becomes enabled again.

aminoff
Aug 18, 2010, 02:34 PM
I have the new mac min. Here's what I have found:

Underscan is enabled only for the HDMI display, and only if you are using the HDMI output connected to an HDMI device (duh).

If you're using a second display (from displayport), underscan becomes disabled and greyed out IF you mirror your display between the two. If you setup your displays with the desktop spanned across the two, then underscan becomes enabled again.

So if you only use the Display Port the underscan is also greyed out?

I wonder what happens if one use a Display Port to HDMI adapter, would underscan be enabled then?
I know, if you have a new Mac Mini (with HDMI) it would not make any sense but the test could give an indication on if the option could be made available for other Mac's.

jicka
Aug 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
So if you only use the Display Port the underscan is also greyed out?

I wonder what happens if one use a Display Port to HDMI adapter, would underscan be enabled then?
I know, if you have a new Mac Mini (with HDMI) it would not make any sense but the test could give an indication on if the option could be made available for other Mac's.

It works I just fixed my overscan. I have an iMac hooked up with a display port to hdmi adapter. I am so stoked I have hated this tv for so long because of the overscan.

aminoff
Aug 23, 2010, 02:06 AM
It works I just fixed my overscan. I have an iMac hooked up with a display port to hdmi adapter. I am so stoked I have hated this tv for so long because of the overscan.

How did you do? Any "hacks"? Are there instructions available anywhere?

jicka
Aug 25, 2010, 03:30 PM
How did you do? Any "hacks"? Are there instructions available anywhere?

No you just plug it into the tv go to displays in system preferences and it is there. It is about time apple integrated this into the os it is awesome.

aminoff
Aug 25, 2010, 03:37 PM
No you just plug it into the tv go to displays in system preferences and it is there. It is about time apple integrated this into the os it is awesome.

Ok, sorry, I might have misunderstood you... You mentioned an iMac and I thought you have the underscan option on the iMac?

What computers and displays do you have and how do you connect them?

jicka
Aug 26, 2010, 12:27 PM
Ok, sorry, I might have misunderstood you... You mentioned an iMac and I thought you have the underscan option on the iMac?

What computers and displays do you have and how do you connect them?

Haha dude, 27 inch iMac Hooked up to my 46 inch samsung tv that had overscan it's running an hdmi cable across the room and hooked into the iMac with a displayport to hdmi adapter. Then I go to system preference then displays then arrangement. The slider to fix overscan Is on the samsung screen when you first click arrangement because it opens to windows, one for the settings of each screen. So you have to either move your mouse over to the tv and move the slider to fix overscan or click the gather windows button o bring the tv settings over to the iMac. I'm telling you that cuz it could be an easy mistake to not see the setting for the tv if your just looking at the iMac side.

So anyway yes 2010 iMac displayport to hdmi hooked to samsung tv with overscan problem and finally on the new software update osx has the underscan slider

aminoff
Aug 26, 2010, 01:32 PM
Ok, that sounds good!

Since the iMac is newer than the Mac Mini I guess you have had the option all the time?
Or did it appear with the "graphics update 1.0"?

CWallace
Aug 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
I have an early 2010 iMac 27" with the Graphics Update and I don't have the overscan slider bar, just the button like always.

jicka
Aug 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have an early 2010 iMac 27" with the Graphics Update and I don't have the overscan slider bar, just the button like always.

make sure you have the newest software update 10.6.4 or whatever it is.

CWallace
Aug 27, 2010, 07:51 PM
I have everything Software Update will let me install. :)

jicka
Aug 28, 2010, 12:44 AM
I have everything Software Update will let me install. :)

I don't know then. I'm on the newest update and it has it when u go to displays in system preferences. Maybe your just not looking at the right window it only shows up on the window that opens on the tv and let's you change the resolution

CWallace
Aug 29, 2010, 02:54 PM
I've checked the window on my tv.

It might very well be specific to OS X 10.6.4 shipped with the latest iMacs just as it was originally only shipped with the latest Mac Mini. Hopefully Apple will make it an update for other machines or it will be part of OS X 10.6.5.

Tomple
Jun 20, 2011, 05:05 PM
Sorry to dredge up a dead topic but, I have a macbook air hooked up to my Samsung TV through a Mini-DVI to HDMI. I choose to mirror the displays, but the underscan option becomes grayed out! Any solutions?

JB Tipton
Nov 13, 2013, 05:02 AM
I was directed to this thread from:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2440689?start=15&tstart=0
where they do not look kindly on criticism of the mother ship.

Here it is 3 years later, and this bug still has not been fixed in OSX 10.6.8!!! It is clearly just an everyday software bug that the Overly Entitled Applegencia will not fix. The way you can tell it is a definite bug is that if you use the display system preference to rotate the mirrored display by 90º, 180º, or 270º, the "underscan slider" becomes ungrayed-out, and you can use it!

My unique solution to this Apple botch job is to simply mount my big flat-screen TV monitor upside down, us the display system preference to rotate the slaved display by 180º, and use the underscan slider to set the picture so the menu bar is visible. Oddly, the menu bar is perfectly visible BY DEFAULT in all rotation configurations EXCEPT right-side-up!

C'mon, Apple, what happened to you??? Can't you fix a hard-coded, repeatable, unwork-around-able error IN 3 YEARS??? Sheesh!!!

priitv8
Nov 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
C'mon, Apple, what happened to you??? Can't you fix a hard-coded, repeatable, unwork-around-able error IN 3 YEARS??? Sheesh!!!I'm not even sure 10.6.8 is still under software maintenance.

blueroom
Nov 13, 2013, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix for 10.6 anything. Is it a problem on 10.9?

MagnusVonMagnum
Nov 13, 2013, 03:40 PM
I was directed to this thread from:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2440689?start=15&tstart=0
where they do not look kindly on criticism of the mother ship.

Here it is 3 years later, and this bug still has not been fixed in OSX 10.6.8!!!

Go figure. That was 3 operating system versions ago. You are expected to upgrade your OS once in a blue moon. I'm not saying that's fair and I think it's kind of ridiculous in some respects, but that's just the way it is with Apple. They've moved on...three years ago. Snow Leopard "upgrades" were stopped three years ago. They only do the occasional security fix now. That's it. That's all there will ever be since it's not longer supported. I mean I realize Lion sucked (I skipped it), but Mountain Lion 10.8.5 was rock solid and ran like a champ on my 2008 MBP and my 2012 Mac Mini. Besides, now that Mavericks is FREE, there's no excuse to not upgrade short of your Mac not being supported or you have massive amounts of PPC software that are not replaceable with Intel versions. Mavericks feels just as fast as Snow Leopard on my 2008 Macbook Pro and pretty darn stable for version 1.0 of it. The multi-monitor improvements in Mavericks alone are worth the upgrade, IMO. I can finally use full screen mode on my second monitor without screwing up m primary display and vice versa.

C'mon, Apple, what happened to you??? Can't you fix a hard-coded, repeatable, unwork-around-able error IN 3 YEARS??? Sheesh!!!

They did fix it. They fixed it in newer versions of the OS (i.e. my secondary display is an HDTV and overscan adjustments worked perfect in both Mountain Lion and Mavericks for it). Time to upgrade to the present day. Frankly, Mavericks is pretty slick for redirecting video output. I can AirPlay my Mac Mini's primary display to my AppleTV in the living room and play games in the living room using a Bluetooth Playstation 3 gamepad (yeah it has that kind of range). I assume Bluetooth mice and keyboards would let me use the living room as an Internet station as well, etc. If I had a newer Macbook Pro, I could use Logic in the living room and mirror the display without a cable to the same TV for editing. The iPad can be used to adjust mixing controls without touching the primary computer. You can't do any of that stuff in Snow Leopard. Wake on Internet activity finally works right in Mavericks too for that matter. My Mac Mini can even get email, etc. while sleeping and wakes instantly if my AppleTV running XBMC wants to access a media archive. I've got full USB3 support on my 2008 Macbook Pro with an express card that only cost me $12 shipped (not supported under Snow Leopard either). Yeah, I have no love for Snow Leopard these days. I was worried when I saw Lion was such a POS, but thankfully Mountain Lion fixed all that. Mavericks needs a few tweaks, but it's still pretty darn stable here on both my machines, especially for version 1.0 of it.

JB Tipton
Nov 14, 2013, 08:05 PM
Now I think you're telling me something of fundamental importance:

I have assiduously applied every upgrade suggested by ">Software Update.." (except for iTunes) since purchasing this Macbook Pro 2 years ago. But all it suggests it is possible to upgrade to is 10.6.8. I have been cursing Apple for offering an extended maintenance contract which lasts longer than they continued to create new compatible software for this machine. Apparently we are supposed to ignore the automatic software update feature and do something else? Update OS's by hand? What gives? What is the point of automatic update if it serves only as a red herring to dissuade those of us in the field from updating manually???

Now that I've been tipped-off, I'll google the issue, but what a surprising twist of events! Thanks for taking the time to criticize my out-of-date OS, or I would never have known my MBP may be compatible with unadvertised newer S/W!

blueroom
Nov 14, 2013, 08:43 PM
Mavericks is a free OS upgrade and address the problem. Your 2 year old MBP qualifies.

MagnusVonMagnum
Nov 14, 2013, 09:12 PM
Now I think you're telling me something of fundamental importance:

I have assiduously applied every upgrade suggested by ">Software Update.." (except for iTunes) since purchasing this Macbook Pro 2 years ago. But all it suggests it is possible to upgrade to is 10.6.8.

You pretty much need 10.6.8 installed in order to upgrade through the App Store to newer versions of OSX (in prior times that meant Lion and Mountain Lion, but now Mavericks). Thus, you may need to let it update to 10.6.8 first and then select to upgrade to Mavericks.

But yeah, your 2 year old machine will definitely run Mavericks. My 2008 model runs it just fine.