PDA

View Full Version : Please help! PowerBook G4 Won't start up no sound black screen

ninawolf
Jun 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hi, I have this powerbook from 2005 and no problems up to now..ohhh no!
A couple of days ago started to occasionally make a clank clank noise and getting stacked on the spinning colour circle, only manual restart would do it.
Thought it might be the hard disk as it is a bit old and i never replaced anything on it, shacked it and a noise of something loose would happen, so i thought of opening it up and see if i could reattach anything loose....anyway i started unscrewing following instructions, couldn't get memory out...every screw seems different and so i gave up, put it all back together, praying that the screws are all in their right places and hey, now it wont even start, not a loose sound when shaken though, but not a bip not a light, black screen, nothing...only sign of life is the green light under the num block key and the capitals arrow also starts light...hope...
i tried ctrl command and power button, cable and battery are fine...Please
Please any ideas????

max••
Jun 15, 2010, 04:00 PM
did you plug the cables from the screen back in? also try plugging it into a external screen

kbfr08
Jun 15, 2010, 04:50 PM
This sounds like a dead hard drive, or a fan failure. I don't know how powerbooks work, but I have a laptop that won't boot without checking the fan.

Try holding the power button until the powerbook beeps, release it then reset the pram.

marc.richards7
Jun 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
The key to working on PowerBooks and iBooks is patience. Read every step at least twice. Next, use the right tools and keep the screws separated into small bags with labels. Now your issue was remarkable similar to mine. My hard drive decided to fail in my old PowerBook G4 12" DVI. I quickly decided to take it apart without the proper size tools and without a guide. Ending up I screwed it up beyond repair. Not too long after, someone brought in a 12" PB that needed a hard drive (click of death). I ordered a tool kit just for PowerBooks, downloaded a service manual from www.PowerBookMedic.com and began the adventure. After assembling, it didn't power on, needless to say, I freaked. I took it back apart, and noticed that a plug was loose, I secured it, reassembled, pressed the power button, got a chime, and boom I was back in Leopard. If you need links to anything just let me know. Peace.

Undecided
Jul 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hi - I have a problem similar to the OP's. It's a 2005 PowerBook G4 15" 1.5Ghz.

When I plug in the AC adapter, I get the amber / green ring of light on it indicating it's charging the battery. When I turn it on, the fans whirr on high, but nothing happens. Black screen, no startup chime.

I've already removed the hard drive and connected it to another Mac and rescued the data. I've put the drive back in now and want to see if I can get the computer working.

I did remove the memory and it sounded a single chime when powering on (and nothing more - black screen). Well, it did that a couple of times - I'm not sure of the specific sequence of tweaks that resulted in that. I'm also convinced that I did hear the startup chime, once (following by nothing).

I tried resetting things (holding down power button for 5 seconds; cutting all power and pressing shift-control-option-power). No change.

Because the fans come on, power is getting through. I'm concerned the logic board may be dead, but how could that be? There are no moving parts and worked fine for years.

If you have any suggestions on how to confirm what the problem is (other than taking it to a shop - it's not worth it), please do let me know.