Durandal7
Aug 13, 2002, 01:34 AM
-

vniow
Aug 13, 2002, 01:36 AM
Um, what exactly is it? :confused:

Durandal7
Aug 13, 2002, 01:46 AM
It is an add-on to Marathon Infinity, it will feature a new scenario as well as high resolution graphics and other goodies. Sorry, I probably should have said that :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 13, 2002, 06:50 AM
Just to set the record straight, I'm not too sure you were the first to mention the idea, its been floating around for about a year now.

Anyway, lets see some stuff already, screenshots, concepts what ever you got.

D

job
Aug 13, 2002, 11:36 AM
We do have our own Development forums and Discussion forums at http://server2.ikonboard.com/thehub/ but there is not much to see right now. :)

For some conceptual screens, duke, check out the Marathon Mod thread in the Gaming forum; I've posted some textures and asurace has posted a rough screenshot with some of the textures being implemented.

mischief
Aug 13, 2002, 12:24 PM
This will be the Engine used as the basis for the Crystal Spheres game under development by myself, asurace, Dukestreet, Eyelikeart, Teabgs, D0ct0rteeth and a couple others that don't have memberships here.

There will be some need for altering the opensource Aleph One Engine to accomodate network play but it'll still be easier (and CHEAPER) than paying through the nose for the Unreal Engine and then having to buy a PC and copy of Maya for the Editor. ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 13, 2002, 12:32 PM
Ha, just today I was making sample terrains in Lightwave for a project at work, pretty damn easy and add some nice little UV mapping and it looks great. I'll post a sample when I get it done.

D

Durandal7
Aug 13, 2002, 01:40 PM
Now that we're on the topic of Crystal Spheres here is some info about the Aleph One engine:

3D characters should be in Alias|Wavefront .obj format and have a skin made with UV Mapper.

The main priorities for altering the Aleph One engine are:
1.Get networking to work on this scale
2.Increase the map size
3.Implement an alliance/trade engine and character engine
4.Improve load time

Not really much more then UT, and it's less of a pain in the arse then dealing with Epic.

job
Aug 13, 2002, 02:39 PM
You guys need any help? ;)

I can set up an Ikonboard forums for the project.. :)

The URL would read something like this : http://serverX.ikonboard.com/crystalspheres/

Interested?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 13, 2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by asurace

2.Increase the map size

Will there be lots of fog so that individuals won't have to worry about loading in a huge ass mesh for the terrain - its mostly exterior, so the visibility should be limited to a certain distance.

Then you have to worry about dynamically adding and removing polygons to the mesh so that you can travel where ever you want.

And the engine might already take this into account, but I curious about the specs anyway. Where can I read up on it.

D

Durandal7
Aug 13, 2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Will there be lots of fog so that individuals won't have to worry about loading in a huge ass mesh for the terrain - its mostly exterior, so the visibility should be limited to a certain distance.

D

Yea, lots of fog will have to be added. We can have it fluctuate at different times of the day as well. I'll get back to you on the specs, the Aleph site is kind of hard to find things on.

-edit: duke there's some info at http://source.bungie.org/_enginedevelopment/reference/_index.html I'm still looking though

mischief
Aug 13, 2002, 03:25 PM
I was thinking that one of the easiest tricks would be to use forest and valley terrain to make it so you (ahem) can't see the grid for the trees.

Duke, I'll try to find some 1' contour maps of BC to show you what kind of hilly terrain I had in mind.

If you've ever been to Kauai's north coast, it's a good example too.

Durandal7
Aug 13, 2002, 03:28 PM
That would work too, we may want to use fog at extreme distances so that you can see the entire valley but if you climbed to a peak you couldn't see the whole island. That would slow any engine down a lot.

mischief
Aug 13, 2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by asurace
That would work too, we may want to use fog at extreme distances so that you can see the entire valley but if you climbed to a peak you couldn't see the whole island. That would slow any engine down a lot.

You don't have to fog it out though. If we construct the whole Island in Lightwave and essentially cut it up into individual cubes of surface we could shoot it from all the accessable cube-center points so you would have a real long-vista view.

Durandal7
Aug 13, 2002, 03:35 PM
That could work, I'm going to start on a test map soon, if anyone has any textures they would like me to use in it send them to me. I'll post some screenshots when I'm done with it. (3D models of flora could be useful too)

Durandal7
Aug 26, 2002, 08:53 PM
Just a short update on the progress. Expect Downfall to be released around March 2003. I'm busy with other things.

Anyway, if you want tidbits on the plot check out Bungie.org (http://marathon.bungie.org/scenarionews/) since what they have is all that I will reveal to the public until release. (It only took them 3 weeks to post it :rolleyes: )

job
Aug 31, 2002, 04:18 PM
another small update :

im currently making some textures for the mod.

at the moment though, due to skool and other commitments, i won't be able to skin and texture as much as i'd like.

i'm currently working on a "texture pack" composed of related (color-wise and patterns) textures.