Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairtrade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
My Mobile Me trial is about to end and, at the moment I can't see why I'd want to pay for it. Unless I'm missing something - please enlighten me if so. Maybe I'm just not using Mobile Me as I should.

Here are my thoughts on MM (unless I'm wrong):

Email - I can't use my own domain (ie mail@fairtrade.com) and don't want fairtrade@me.com (cos it's a business email address) so it's useless for me.

Web hosting - cos I can't use my domain for the email, I need to keep my web hosting/email package, so Mobile Me's web hosting is useless for me.

Contacts/Calendars/Notes updating - Nice but not really sure that my life is so hectic I need it. If I'm out and add a contact, when I get back to my Mac I'll have my iPad with me so will just plug it in to charge/sync. (plus mine is only the wifi model, so I need to have wifi connection for it to update anyway)

iDisk - Only an iPhone app so documents appear tiny, they can't be taken off iDisk and opened in Pages/Numbers on the iPad, uploading from Mac to iDisk takes aaaaages and doesn't keep automatically synced and updated.

I'm wondering if I'm just using Mobile Me incorrectly so would be open to some useful comments.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
iDisk should auto-sync. You need to check your MobileMe iDisk Settings. I really like the fact that MobileMe keeps all my info synced between my MBP's, iPhone, and iPad. It is disappointing that Apple don't have a native MobileMe/iDisk app for iPad, but I'm using QuickOffice instead and it works great.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Use Google to host your e-mail for free, and forward everything to the MobileMe account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.