PDA

View Full Version : Albany, NY. Apple Store Crossgates

mattroman246
Jun 15, 2010, 05:33 PM
anyone else?

Flatlineskillz
Jun 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'll be there. I got my confirmation e-mail yesterday after using the Apple Store App. I called the store about 11:00 today and they said if I have a confirmation e-mail that I will have a phone.

What time are people planning to go to the store? Last time I got an iPhone it was the 3G and I dont think they were open at 7:00 like this time around. I highly doubt I will make it there before 6:00am as I am planning on hitting Mahars Wed. night before the launch since I took thursday off from work. I am hoping I can get around activating in store to avoid repeating the crazy iPockalypse of the 3G launch.

Now to figure out where to get coffee in Albany before 6:00am.

jbachandouris
Jun 17, 2010, 11:32 AM
I'm in! Store opens at 7am EST. I will be there sometime before that.

ski2moro
Jun 18, 2010, 09:58 PM
What time does Crossgates (not the Apple Store) open?

jbachandouris
Jun 18, 2010, 10:21 PM
What time does Crossgates (not the Apple Store) open?

Actually, I was informed that they NEVER lock the doors! The elderly start walking the mall at 4:30 am, so I'm not sure how excited Mall Security is about people showing up before then.

I have a 'reservation,' so I will arrive early, but I'm not sure how early...

CRSullivan21
Jun 19, 2010, 03:19 AM
I'm planning to be there around 7 for my reserved 32gb iPhone 4. Looking forward to the new toy! Sounds great but wish it was 64gb!

flynifr
Jun 19, 2010, 06:06 AM
I can't drop my kids off at daycare until 7am in Clifton Park then I will be down for my reserved 32gb.

ski2moro
Jun 19, 2010, 09:37 AM
Actually, I was informed that they NEVER lock the doors! The elderly start walking the mall at 4:30 am, so I'm not sure how excited Mall Security is about people showing up before then.

Not intended to be rude, but where did you get that info? Was the source reliable?

Are Cap. District people likely to camp out the night before?

BTW, I have a reserved 32 gb, too. I'll bring the donuts.

jbachandouris
Jun 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
Not intended to be rude, but where did you get that info? Was the source reliable?

Are Cap. District people likely to camp out the night before?

BTW, I have a reserved 32 gb, too. I'll bring the donuts.

The front desk guy at Bally's Total Fitness. All I know for certain is the 4:30am for the morning walkers. I have no idea how busy it will be. I am not planning on camping out, but since by Thursday, I will have been iPhone-less for 7 days (sold it), I doubt I will be able to sleep anyway. I usually wake up around 4:30am anyway (not on purpose), so I might just get up and hop in the car.

See you there!

Jacount
Jun 19, 2010, 11:35 PM
I heard that the line for the iPad launch was really long by 6am so I was thinking about getting there between 2 and 3 am, does anyone know what door gets opened first at the mall?

jbachandouris
Jun 20, 2010, 07:16 AM
I heard that the line for the iPad launch was really long by 6am so I was thinking about getting there between 2 and 3 am, does anyone know what door gets opened first at the mall?

Again: THE DOORS DO NOT LOCK! I have verified this by multiple sources. The only question is will security let you in before 4:30AM.

deepdesign00
Jun 20, 2010, 07:58 PM
i bought iphone 3gs last year and was first in the pre order line at cross gates.. yes they do open for mall walkers however they will kick you out that day.. I entered at 4:30 but was told to leave.. I also was told that if i were to come back before 6 that I would be allowed back.. Just thought Id give everyone the heads up.. Id hate for ya not to beable to get one. The cross gates mall "cops" are a pain..

jbachandouris
Jun 20, 2010, 08:02 PM
i bought iphone 3gs last year and was first in the pre order line at cross gates.. yes they do open for mall walkers however they will kick you out that day.. I entered at 4:30 but was told to leave.. I also was told that if i were to come back before 6 that I would be allowed back.. Just thought Id give everyone the heads up.. Id hate for ya not to beable to get one. The cross gates mall "cops" are a pain..

Things have changed since then. I have been informed by Bally's employees, whom I know to be reliable, that people enter the mall at 4:30AM to walk. They are senior citizens and do not get kicked out. I am not sure how motivated I am to enter that early. Exactly what time did you arrive to be first? I have also have a reservation.

deepdesign00
Jun 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
Things have changed since then. I have been informed by Bally's employees, whom I know to be reliable, that people enter the mall at 4:30AM to walk. They are senior citizens and do not get kicked out. I am not sure how motivated I am to enter that early. Exactly what time did you arrive to be first? I have also have a reservation.

What i am saying is that mall security knows the difference between mall walkers and people who want iphones.. The reason why they dont let people in early is because they have to have a police officer there just in case something happens.. apple does not have an officer there untill around 6 ish.. ive done this 3 years in a row and have been able to get an iphone each year. the reason i go to crossgates is because of this policy. It does not require staying all night like some locations do. Show up at 6 and you will be fine.. go earlier and you risk the getting kicked out. IF you do go earlier just stay outside untill its safe to enter.. im not going this year because i preordered online and am having phone shipped to the house.. So its not like im trying to keep people from going.. Im just saying its a waste of time to go earlier than that..

jbachandouris
Jun 20, 2010, 09:24 PM
What i am saying is that mall security knows the difference between mall walkers and people who want iphones.. The reason why they dont let people in early is because they have to have a police officer there just in case something happens.. apple does not have an officer there untill around 6 ish.. ive done this 3 years in a row and have been able to get an iphone each year. the reason i go to crossgates is because of this policy. It does not require staying all night like some locations do. Show up at 6 and you will be fine.. go earlier and you risk the getting kicked out. IF you do go earlier just stay outside untill its safe to enter.. im not going this year because i preordered online and am having phone shipped to the house.. So its not like im trying to keep people from going.. Im just saying its a waste of time to go earlier than that..

Very Cool. Thanks for the heads up! I didn't want to get up too early. Maybe I'll go for a walk with them...

erinsonb
Jun 20, 2010, 09:54 PM
this already all makes me want to throw up, everywhere.

so is the conclusion that being there at 6am is fine? I have a so-called "reservation" ... and I want my effing phone! :)

jbachandouris
Jun 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
this already all makes me want to throw up, everywhere.

so is the conclusion that being there at 6am is fine? I have a so-called "reservation" ... and I want my effing phone! :)

That's when I am showing up. I will ask Mall Security and post their answer.

erinsonb
Jun 21, 2010, 07:35 AM
That's when I am showing up. I will ask Mall Security and post their answer.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! :p

mattroman246
Jun 21, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'm not too concerned having the reservation, see you guy there bright and early at 6:00!

Ruffian829
Jun 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
Any advise on when to get there if we don't have a reservation? I dont really understand the whole "reservation" concept... but since we don't have one are we unlikely to even get one if we don't have a reservation?

papa8706
Jun 21, 2010, 11:46 PM
Any advise on when to get there if we don't have a reservation? I dont really understand the whole "reservation" concept... but since we don't have one are we unlikely to even get one if we don't have a reservation?

I'm in the same boat. Any one know what kind of supply they are going to have for people who didn't reserve one?

erinsonb
Jun 22, 2010, 07:07 AM
... but where is this lovely line going to form at the crack of dawn on Thursday? Outside the main entrance across from apple, I presume?

see you all there :D

jbachandouris
Jun 22, 2010, 07:25 PM
According to Crossgates Mall Security, 5AM is the earliest they will allow anyone to stand outside the Apple Store.

Ruffian829
Jun 23, 2010, 05:48 AM
Good to know about security when my husband called they said fheyll have to check with the supervisor. My husband also called the apple store to ask when they expect people to start lining up and they said 6PM the night before!! Somehow I don't see that happening and if it does (dare I say it) it's really not that worth it.... I'd rather just have him order one that I'll get mid-July... So I think he's planning on getting there about 5am or so (oh if only he had ore ordered like I told him to he could sleep in ;) )

Bsis304
Jun 23, 2010, 07:00 AM
just for some clarification, i talked to the people at the apple store and they said that anyone with a reservation will indeed be a garunteed their phone, as long as they are there before the time in the email. If there was no time to be there by, then you have all day thursday apparently.

drichx
Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 AM
I'll be there! Now, I received an email from Apple saying "Thanks for reserving your iPhone..." last Tuesday. I haven't received a confirmation email from Apple saying that my phone is indeed reserved, WTF?

Anyways, I called Apple to ask about what happened and they said it "should" be reserved. Again, WTF. But she mentioned each Apple store will have 400 iPhones in stock, reservation or not, it's first-come first-served.

Ellsass
Jun 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
I reserved one and got a confirmation email and reminder email. What time should I arrive if I want to be out of there by 8AM? Some people have to work :(

Does activation happen separately from physically receiving your phone? If it ends up taking a long time, I'm wondering if I could just get my phone (so I'm sure I have one) and come back after work to activate it.

mattroman246
Jun 23, 2010, 11:45 AM
activations are fairly quick at Apple especially in comparison to AT&T. I'm showing up at 6 am since I have a reservation I'm not too concerned.

Flatlineskillz
Jun 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
Anyone getting cold feet after hearing about issues with the iPhone 4?

We have people saying that reception drops when you hold it and reports of yellow spots on the screens. Anyone else worried? Most likely I'll end up getting mine as I feel like the reception issues are software related and if the yellowing of the screens are really that bad I'm sure they will replace it. As of right now I am looking forward to picking up what Engadget calls the best smartphone on the market.

jbachandouris
Jun 23, 2010, 09:04 PM
The yellowing of the screen, they say, is immediately noticeable, so you can just refuse it. As for reception, who knows? Remember: launch day is officially tomorrow. Maybe the other phones have not activated properly. Only time will tell. See you in the AM!:D

Flatlineskillz
Jun 24, 2010, 08:04 AM
Just got back from the apple store. I got there around 6:15 and was out of there by 8:30. They were giving out breakfast sandwiches, coffee, and smartwater. All in all a good time. I did have a low battery on mine when it was taken out of the box. I am synching and charging as I type this.

No cases in stock except the bumpers was a bit of a disappointment. Enjoy your new iphones everyone.

chrisfromalbany
Jun 24, 2010, 08:19 AM
Just got back from the apple store. I got there around 6:15 and was out of there by 8:30. They were giving out breakfast sandwiches, coffee, and smartwater. All in all a good time. I did have a low battery on mine when it was taken out of the box. I am synching and charging as I type this.

No cases in stock except the bumpers was a bit of a disappointment. Enjoy your new iphones everyone.

how bad was the line? Wondering if I can still go down there today and get a phone. Guessing not. I didn't make a reservation.

Ellsass
Jun 24, 2010, 08:20 AM
For future reference (the 2011 launch, I guess). I arrived at 6:45 and the line for reserved phones extended to the Gap, and quickly beyond. I waited until 7:45, at which point I had inched up to where the hallway bends in toward Burlington Coat Factory, before leaving (had to be at work at 8). There were blue-shirted Apple Store employees walking about checking people in and answering questions. I'll go back later to get my phone (they're open till 9:30 tonight).

Someone nearby reserved a 16GB and asked if they could get a 32GB instead. The employee said yes, as long as there was one available. Presumably it would come from the stock allocated to reservation-less buyers. I'm not concerned about my phone not being there because I saw an employee check me in on some app, so as far as they know I'm still there waiting in line.

chrisfromalbany
Jun 24, 2010, 08:28 AM
For future reference (the 2011 launch, I guess). I arrived at 6:45 and the line for reserved phones extended to the Gap, and quickly beyond. I waited until 7:45, at which point I had inched up to where the hallway bends in toward Burlington Coat Factory, before leaving (had to be at work at 8). There were blue-shirted Apple Store employees walking about checking people in and answering questions. I'll go back later to get my phone (they're open till 9:30 tonight).

Someone nearby reserved a 16GB and asked if they could get a 32GB instead. The employee said yes, as long as there was one available. Presumably it would come from the stock allocated to reservation-less buyers. I'm not concerned about my phone not being there because I saw an employee check me in on some app, so as far as they know I'm still there waiting in line.

so you are thinking they will be selling to walk-in going into tomorrow?

jbachandouris
Jun 24, 2010, 09:20 AM
I arrived at around 6:30AM and received my iPhone around 9AM. I only attended Launch Day for the 'experience,' but next time I will pre-order and enjoy the product from my own home (maybe even a day or two early:)). The line wasn't that bad, but Apple did nothing to make this event special. OK this is smAlbany, NY, but still. The free food and coffee was nice, but I was hoping for a little more exciteiment.

Anyway, love the iPhone 4 32GB!:D

chrisfromalbany
Jun 24, 2010, 09:25 AM
I arrived at around 6:30AM and received my iPhone around 9AM. I only attended Launch Day for the 'experience,' but next time I will pre-order and enjoy the product from my own home (maybe even a day or two early:)). The line wasn't that bad, but Apple did nothing to make this event special. OK this is smAlbany, NY, but still. The free food and coffee was nice, but I was hoping for a little more exciteiment.

Anyway, love the iPhone 4 32GB!:D

so you didn't pre-order you were a walk up ? How was the line and how was the line when you left?

jbachandouris
Jun 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
so you didn't pre-order you were a walk up ? How was the line and how was the line when you left?

I was a pre-order. Walk-ins are accepted at a ratio of around 50:1. I never would have gotten the iPhone that fast without the reservation.

chrisfromalbany
Jun 24, 2010, 09:30 AM
I was a pre-order. Walk-ins are accepted at a ratio of around 50:1. I never would have gotten the iPhone that fast without the reservation.

damn so that is quite a wait.. I am guessing if you got there at 8am you could have saved some time?

So how long was the walk-up line?

jbachandouris
Jun 24, 2010, 09:50 AM
damn so that is quite a wait.. I am guessing if you got there at 8am you could have saved some time?

So how long was the walk-up line?

I'm not sure if coming later will help walk-ins, I assume the lines will be steady all day. The reserve line was long enough, so I didn't even look at the walk-in line. I would guess that it had to be at least twice as long. I feel sorry for them since many had tried repeatedly to pre-order and were not able to. This is the only time I have been glad that I don't usually sleep through the night-since I woke up at 4:30AM, I was able to pre-order on the 15th and was able to pick-up today. In the future, I will choose home delievery.

chrisfromalbany
Jun 24, 2010, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure if coming later will help walk-ins, I assume the lines will be steady all day. The reserve line was long enough, so I didn't even look at the walk-in line. I would guess that it had to be at least twice as long. I feel sorry for them since many had tried repeatedly to pre-order and were not able to. This is the only time I have been glad that I don't usually sleep through the night-since I woke up at 4:30AM, I was able to pre-order on the 15th and was able to pick-up today. In the future, I will choose home delievery.

+1 for that..

Just seems like until pre-order volume is over it isn't worth waiting on line @ Apple store as walk-in because ATT and apple couldn't get there act together. Once pre-orders are done or mostly done then walk-ins can actually process. It one thing to wait in a long line. It is another thing all together to wait in a long line that doesn't move.. lol..

ski2moro
Jun 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
Major Props to the staff at Crossgates. It was organized, fast and fun - if you had a reservation. That other line - not so much.

I listened to the tales of one bunch of kids. They had been camping out all afternoon on Wednesday. At mall closing, the mall cops hustled them out. They went to a restaurant to wait, hoping to stay on property. At closing, they went into the parking lot to wait. The mall cops threatened them and told them if they didn't leave, they would call the Guilderland Police. The kids didn't leave, the Guilderland cops came, and after some discussion, the Guilderland cops determined that they had no jurisdiction to arrest the well-behaved bunch. This morning at 5, the went into the non-reserved line at Apple.

The store employee told me that they were letting one non-reserved into the store for every 50 (fifty) reserved customers that went in. The non-reserved people were not happy.

When I left at 7:40, there were probably 500-600 hopefuls in the non-reserved line. The reserved line snaked around past Burlington Coat and down past the Gap, almost to DSW Shoes. Good luck on the non-reserved.

I am really happy with this whole experience and the iPhone 4 is excellent.

Thanks Crossgates Apple for making my day!

Ruffian829
Jun 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hello! I waited as a walk in with my husband!!
For reference, no you likely will not be able to get one "later" today. We were there at 5 am and finally out of there by 2 pm- they sent a LOT of people home. The people that arrived around / after 6:30AM got sent home. We were approx. 50th in line and about 50 people after us got phones before they ran out. They were letting walk ins in at a ration of 50:1 but eventually they moved it to 10:1 and then finally 1:1. Not that I'm complaining- we didn't reserve, so this is what we had to endure if we wanted a phone! Overall it wasn't that bad but a lot of people were unhappy about the long wait and that they sent a LOT of people away (again, I dont really understand the people complaining... standing in line there is optional. You can always just go home and order one to get it by July 15th). The only annoying part is that it took awhile to get a confirmation that we WERE going to get a phone for sure, which we received about 9:30 or 10AM or so.
They had food, snacks, water, staff was helpful, did not ever seem annoyed by asking if there was an update although you know they just got asked that OVER AND OVER again.

But long story short, if you were not there EARLY you will not get a phone as a walk-in. I wouldn't even bother going later considering the hundreds that were sent home.

chrisfromalbany
Jun 24, 2010, 04:24 PM
Any idea when pre-orders are done?

Hello! I waited as a walk in with my husband!!
For reference, no you likely will not be able to get one "later" today. We were there at 5 am and finally out of there by 2 pm- they sent a LOT of people home. The people that arrived around / after 6:30AM got sent home. We were approx. 50th in line and about 50 people after us got phones before they ran out. They were letting walk ins in at a ration of 50:1 but eventually they moved it to 10:1 and then finally 1:1. Not that I'm complaining- we didn't reserve, so this is what we had to endure if we wanted a phone! Overall it wasn't that bad but a lot of people were unhappy about the long wait and that they sent a LOT of people away (again, I dont really understand the people complaining... standing in line there is optional. You can always just go home and order one to get it by July 15th). The only annoying part is that it took awhile to get a confirmation that we WERE going to get a phone for sure, which we received about 9:30 or 10AM or so.
They had food, snacks, water, staff was helpful, did not ever seem annoyed by asking if there was an update although you know they just got asked that OVER AND OVER again.

But long story short, if you were not there EARLY you will not get a phone as a walk-in. I wouldn't even bother going later considering the hundreds that were sent home.

Ellsass
Jun 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
Again, just for posperity/2011 buyers searching the archives...

I went back at 4:30pm with my reservation and had to wait about a half hour for 15 or so people who were ahead of me. The no-reservation line was shorter, but it didn't seem to move. Even though I had successfully checked in that morning, I was no longer in their system. Fortunately they just took my word for it and handed me a 32GB model anyway. The staff was still quite chipper, even people whom I recognized from the morning.

If for some reason you can't have it delivered to your home, I recommend going at off hours -- 2pm or later is my guess, and not when a lot of people are getting out of work. Unless you enjoy the wait, of course.