PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 Meetup at Pioneer Square (Portland, Oregon)

brett.fish
Jun 15, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hey a couple of my buddies from work and I will be lining up at the Pioneer Square Apple Store here in Portland, Oregon. Let us know if you'll be there too!

iCHiRS
Jun 16, 2010, 10:51 PM
I'll be headed to the W. Square location!

GeneralSpecial
Jun 18, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hey a couple of my buddies from work and I will be lining up at the Pioneer Square Apple Store here in Portland, Oregon. Let us know if you'll be there too!

Yep, Pioneer Square (I didn't preorder, dangit). What time do they open?

cronked
Jun 18, 2010, 06:32 PM
I think you mean the Apple store at Pioneer Place. I will be getting my iPhone 4 there as well (hopefully). I have a reservation set up at the Apple store but I'm sure things will still be crazy. The store opens at 7:00 on June 24th. I plan on getting there before they open.

GeneralSpecial
Jun 18, 2010, 06:44 PM
I think you mean the Apple store at Pioneer Place. I will be getting my iPhone 4 there as well (hopefully). I have a reservation set up at the Apple store but I'm sure things will still be crazy. The store opens at 7:00 on June 24th. I plan on getting there before they open.

You're right, Pioneer *Place*. has anybody heard of allocation numbers fr stores yet?

tngilmore
Jun 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
I'll be there a few hours early.
Anyone know the most likely place for the line to start outside the mall?

TheMachineHead
Jun 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'll be there a few hours early.
Anyone know the most likely place for the line to start outside the mall?

I'll def be there early a well :)

Last year the store arranged to have one of the mall entrances open by 530 so that we could start the line right at the store entrance; not sure which door it will be, but I'm hoping they'll make the same arrangement this time around.

goMac
Jun 19, 2010, 12:20 AM
I pre-ordered my iPhone at Pioneer Place.

gldelx
Jun 19, 2010, 01:27 AM
I'll be there :)

Starbucks opens at 6am, so at least that door will be open by then.

pdxmaclvr
Jun 19, 2010, 09:42 AM
Count me in. Anyone want to camp out overnight?

GeneralSpecial
Jun 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
I was planning to line up at Pioneer Place, but...if I didn't preorder, should I even bother?

krnboy503
Jun 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
I was planning to line up at Pioneer Place, but...if I didn't preorder, should I even bother?

You should still go if you want it on the 24th.
There will be two sep lines...one for reservations and one for non-reserves.

GeneralSpecial
Jun 20, 2010, 09:17 PM

Cool, I'm there.

gldelx
Jun 20, 2010, 10:01 PM

I thought the 24th was for pre-order pickups only, and any others needed to wait until the 25th... no?

GeneralSpecial
Jun 21, 2010, 12:19 AM
I thought the 24th was for pre-order pickups only, and any others needed to wait until the 25th... no?

No.

gentleman00
Jun 21, 2010, 02:06 AM

anyone plan on buying the iphone from the AT&T store across the street?

gldelx
Jun 21, 2010, 02:58 PM
No.

I'm not sure where I heard that. hmmm..

brigleb
Jun 22, 2010, 03:52 PM
I just spoke to the mall and they said that the entrance on 4th and Morrison is opening at 7AM on Thursday for Apple customers. Normally they don't open until 10AM. Anyone planning on showing up EARLIER than 7AM? I think 7 is plenty early, so who will I be seeing there?

GeneralSpecial
Jun 22, 2010, 04:00 PM
I just called two Radio Shacks in town (both on the east side), and they both confirmed they'd have a "decent" supply of iPhone 4's for sale for walk-in, and would start selling them at "11 or 12". Both also confirmed the trade-in: $99 on a 3G, $199 on a 3GS.

gldelx
Jun 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
I just spoke to the mall and they said that the entrance on 4th and Morrison is opening at 7AM on Thursday for Apple customers. Normally they don't open until 10AM. Anyone planning on showing up EARLIER than 7AM? I think 7 is plenty early, so who will I be seeing there?

I can tell you that door (and the one at 5th/yamhill - and believe the other 2 corners of that building) are open before 7am on a regular basis - I've often cut thru that building after getting off the bus is in the morning and stopping for coffee at sbux at the 4th/Morrison entry - which opens at 6am. So unless the mall person you spoke to is talking about the eastern building (can never remember which is rotunda and which is atrium), they obviously are not the one that is around early in the morning unlocking doors on the western building.

danredwing
Jun 23, 2010, 07:36 AM
I was planning on being there pretty early so that I could get in, pick up the 2 we have reserved for my wife and I and hopefully be out of there by 8. I guess it sort of matters how many folks are there at the butt crack of dawn.

How early are you folks planning on arriving? I was thinking 5 or 6. I don't plan on being first in line or even 10th for that matter, but would like to beat the rush.

danredwing
Jun 23, 2010, 07:42 AM

It certainly would be nice to roll up there at 7, but I would expect a fairly long line by then. Have they done an early morning launch like this before? I've only been at launch for one, which was 5pm the first year. Early morning should keep some folks away. Maybe we'll just need to wait and see how many from the forum plan on being earlier...I don't know if that is a good gauge of what the non- macrumors folks will do though.

Kuzminator
Jun 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
Let's say the line starts outside the mall entrance and people are all waiting to get inside. As soon as it hit's 6am and the doors to the mall open up, who will make sure whoever ever was first in line outside the mall will be the first in line inside the mall. That's one thing I'm worried about. :confused:

gldelx
Jun 23, 2010, 09:37 AM
for the 3G, I went in about an hour before the store opened, and there was a line of probably 50ish people. By 7a, there was probably 4 or 5 times that. that year they didn't do a pre-order, it wasn't at BB, walmart, radio shack - only Apple and ATT, so all of those might spread out the lines elsewhere too.

EDIT: also, pretty sure I was still able to get to work by 8am too

Kuzminator
Jun 23, 2010, 09:51 AM
for the 3G, I went in about an hour before the store opened, and there was a line of probably 50ish people. By 7a, there was probably 4 or 5 times that. that year they didn't do a pre-order, it wasn't at BB, walmart, radio shack - only Apple and ATT, so all of those might spread out the lines elsewhere too.

EDIT: also, pretty sure I was still able to get to work by 8am too

Do you know which Apple Store is the best to get in line in Portland? In Bridgeport Village the security won't allow to form a line before 5 am. I wonder how many people will be there at 5. Imagine you sit in your car all night to be one of the first in line and then at 5 all of a sudden a horde of people will gather and it won't matter how long you've waited. That's why I won't be going to Bridgeport Village.

gldelx
Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 AM
Do you know which Apple Store is the best to get in line in Portland? In Bridgeport Village the security won't allow to form a line before 5 am. I wonder how many people will be there at 5. Imagine you sit in your car all night to be one of the first in line and then at 5 all of a sudden a horde of people will gather and it won't matter how long you've waited. That's why I won't be going to Bridgeport Village.

if you plan to be there by 5am, I doubt there will be a huge amount of people. Personally, I'd think Bridgeport would have less people than Pioneer Place or Washington Square.
Based on my 3G line waiting at Pioneer Place last time, once they started to take people in (which was before the actual opening time), it went really quickly. Apple had staff greeting people as they got in line to make sure that before they waited they were either brand new to ATT, were the main account person and qualified for an upgrade. There were a ton of people that they turned away because they didn't qualify with ATT because of their account or because they were on someone else's account - so while they were not happy to be told that, it at least them waiting in line for an hour or more then being told that. They also came thru the line and handed out cards for the specific phone you were wanting, so you at least knew you had the phone you wanted available by the time you got to the front of the line. Once they were out of the cards for a specific model phone, they either gave people the other choices or told them when they expected the next shipment to arrive.

Kuzminator
Jun 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
if you plan to be there by 5am, I doubt there will be a huge amount of people. Personally, I'd think Bridgeport would have less people than Pioneer Place or Washington Square.
Based on my 3G line waiting at Pioneer Place last time, once they started to take people in (which was before the actual opening time), it went really quickly. Apple had staff greeting people as they got in line to make sure that before they waited they were either brand new to ATT, were the main account person and qualified for an upgrade. There were a ton of people that they turned away because they didn't qualify with ATT because of their account or because they were on someone else's account - so while they were not happy to be told that, it at least them waiting in line for an hour or more then being told that. They also came thru the line and handed out cards for the specific phone you were wanting, so you at least knew you had the phone you wanted available by the time you got to the front of the line. Once they were out of the cards for a specific model phone, they either gave people the other choices or told them when they expected the next shipment to arrive.

That's great news. Looks like they're all organized. I've only been in line once, for iPhone 3G, but it was at AT&T store.

danredwing
Jun 23, 2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, that does sound reassuring. I'm starting to think that being there by 5 would probably be a pretty safe bet.

brigleb
Jun 23, 2010, 12:00 PM
Wow, well it's good to know the outer doors open at 6, but that's also when Stumptown opens and there's no way I'm showing up without a good cup of coffee in my hand! Anybody want to meet up at Stumptown in the Ace Hotel at 6AM, then head over?!

I have a unit "reserved" so it's probably not urgent that I get there at any particular time. Apple has indicated via two emails now that I only have to appear tomorrow sometime to claim my unit.

thebasa
Jun 23, 2010, 12:48 PM
i think you should all go to bridgeport because it's gonna be way less packed there......really ;)

gentleman00
Jun 23, 2010, 12:54 PM
Is AT&T across the street from Pioneer Place planning to sell the iphone?

gldelx
Jun 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Is AT&T across the street from Pioneer Place planning to sell the iphone?

according to this (http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10215), ATT will not be selling non-reserved phones until June 29th

danredwing
Jun 23, 2010, 01:47 PM
i think you should all go to bridgeport because it's gonna be way less packed there......really ;)

Nice.

danredwing
Jun 23, 2010, 02:53 PM
So, I mentioned earlier that I haven't been part of this whole first day craziness since the first year. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with some other iPhone nerds and having the new phone in my hands. See you all in the morning!

brigleb
Jun 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Haven't waited in a line since the first iPhone. Seems like a good thing to do every few years. Hopefully I won't be there all day though!

TheMachineHead
Jun 23, 2010, 04:33 PM
Well, I'm one less person to get in your way.

Read the White iPhone press release and confirmed with Matt at Pioneer Place that the white iPhones will definitely not be available till July. I had it in my thick-hopeful skull that they were unavailable for pre-order simply because ... aah hell, I don't know why I thought whatever it was I was thinking.

Good luck tomorrow morning guys, and for anyone else holding out for white SEE YOU IN JULY!

wedgeseven
Jun 23, 2010, 07:28 PM
one person in line already as of 3:30pm. Sitting alone in a chair at 4th and Morrison.

grady--
Jun 23, 2010, 11:25 PM
Anyone else been by recently? I'm tempted to walk down and see but also might go to bed and wake up around 4am to head down there.

robmorgan78
Jun 24, 2010, 12:17 AM

I was told by a friend of mine that works at the Pioneer Place Apple Store that there would only be one line for both reservations and non-reserved...

I have a reservation though, I am still planning on getting down there around 6... See ya guys then!

blen
Jun 24, 2010, 12:22 AM
I was told by a friend of mine that works at the Pioneer Place Apple Store that there would only be one line for both reservations and non-reserved...

I have a reservation though, I am still planning on getting down there around 6... See ya guys then!

The email I got said there will be a specific line for reservations.

Are there many people camping out right now?

gentleman00
Jun 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
The email I got said there will be a specific line for reservations.

Are there many people camping out right now?

10 people have already lined up as of 10:30 pm at Pionner Place.

blen
Jun 24, 2010, 12:58 AM
Without reservations/preorder right?

Or is this a preorder lineup?

conraddon
Jun 24, 2010, 02:06 AM
Washington sq has about 60 ppl in line as of 12:05 :eek:

grady--
Jun 24, 2010, 02:36 AM
Any update on the amount of people in line downtown right now?

I woke up unexpectedly and now I'm quite concerned that I should head down there and get in line.

Acrowne
Jun 24, 2010, 06:57 AM
It seems like as of 5 am there are about 120 people here.

danredwing
Jun 24, 2010, 07:03 AM
It seems like as of 5 am there are about 120 people here.

The line is all the way down 4th, wraps down around the corner onto Yamhill and just about to 5th. 5 am local time.

alana22
Jun 24, 2010, 07:27 AM
The line is all the way down 4th, wraps down around the corner onto Yamhill and just about to 5th. 5 am local time.

I'm guessing most of these people have no reservation?

gldelx
Jun 24, 2010, 07:33 AM

I would hope people that pre-ordered would not be waiting over night (or hours before they could at least get into the mall). :eek:

grady--
Jun 24, 2010, 07:39 AM
From my brief conversations with the 2-3 people around me, none of them have preordered the phone.

blen
Jun 24, 2010, 07:47 AM
See everyone at 7 :D

Eddieowns
Jun 24, 2010, 07:49 AM
I'll be there in about 40 minutes! Thank god I pre-ordered..

danredwing
Jun 24, 2010, 07:52 AM
From my brief conversations with the 2-3 people around me, none of them have preordered the phone.

2 apple employees just went down the line counting who was a walk in and who has reservations. Lot of folks including the 2 in front and the 2 behind with no reservation.

gldelx
Jun 24, 2010, 07:52 AM
I was going to wait until 9-10a to avoid traffic driving in from vancouver, but getting antsy now and figuring I used to deal with that every day anyway, so what's sitting in 7am traffic today? ;)

alana22
Jun 24, 2010, 08:02 AM
Has the line moved indoors now at Pioneer Place? How long is it?

cronked
Jun 24, 2010, 08:23 AM
Dang it! I called the Apple store yesterday and they said there would be a separate line for people with reservations. I'm on my way down to the Pioneer Place store right now. Don't forget to check your new iPhones for defective screens!

cronked
Jun 24, 2010, 08:40 AM
My 3G data stopped working. I had to switch to Edge. I'm at the end of a very long line. Oh, and there are two lines. One for reservations and one for walk ins.

cronked
Jun 24, 2010, 09:14 AM
Educated estimates put 700 people in line here.

alana22
Jun 24, 2010, 10:12 AM
Just told by an Apple Store employee that the Reservation Line que is roughly 4-5 hours. I bailed.

grady--
Jun 24, 2010, 11:34 AM
The walk up line was even longer. I'm going to swing by after work and see how it's going in about 6 hours as I expect there will still be a line lingering about.

gentleman00
Jun 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
Arrived at 4:30 am ( walk-in). Purchased the iphone by 10:30. In all, 6 hours.

goMac
Jun 24, 2010, 04:19 PM
I was just there. Line still ran back to the second atrium.

puetner
Jun 24, 2010, 04:34 PM
I was just there. Line still ran back to the second atrium.

Is the line that stretches back to the second atrium for walk ups or reservations or are both lines that long right now?

GeneralSpecial
Jun 24, 2010, 04:39 PM
The Apple Store at Pioneer Place is sold out. I called to confirm.

gldelx
Jun 24, 2010, 05:33 PM
I got there just before 7a (my parking stub was stamped 6:47) and was out the door at 2:30pm for the pre-order line.

alana22
Jun 24, 2010, 07:12 PM
The Apple Store at Pioneer Place is sold out. I called to confirm.

ha! You were lied to. I just got back from there, bought the phone around 4:45pm - they had a MOUNTAIN of boxes of both 32gb and 16gb.

Waited about 6.5 hours in line.. when I came out of the store the line was even further back.

GeneralSpecial
Jun 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
ha! You were lied to. I just got back from there, bought the phone around 4:45pm - they had a MOUNTAIN of boxes of both 32gb and 16gb.

Waited about 6.5 hours in line.. when I came out of the store the line was even further back.

Er, no. You're lying. They've been sold out of walk-in sales units. If anybody doubts it, call or drop by yourself.

blen
Jun 24, 2010, 11:23 PM
Good GOD. That line EXPLODED. 6 hours waiting in a preorder line.

Never again. lol.

gldelx
Jun 24, 2010, 11:28 PM
Er, no. You're lying. They've been sold out of walk-in sales units. If anybody doubts it, call or drop by yourself.

agree... the people that got there about the same time as me, 7a, in the walk in line were the last to get a ticket. so unless apple happened to get another shipment during the day, my understanding was anyone walking in without a pre-order after them would not be getting one today.

alana22
Jun 25, 2010, 12:48 AM

They were sending in one walk-in per 20 reservations. The entire time we were up front we watched this go on. The people who were walk-ins were given a fresh batch of red and blue tickets while we were waiting and had been told by various store employees they were getting a phone. This was around 4:00-4:30pm PST.