Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
My iMac G5 will start to hiss after running for about 5 minutes after cold startup or sleep. I think it's got something to do with the processor fan, or at least something loosely associated with the CPU...as the shrill hissing seems to vary depending on the usage of the CPU (i.e. scrolling, mouse or keyboard movement...)

Is this a known issue with G5s or is it something that I should contact AppleCare or the Apple Store over?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
New iMacs have quite a few noise related issues, Apple seem to be sending out a lot of power supplies and "planes" (????).

They're sending me a "plane" for my iMac this week :rolleyes:

Just give 'em a call.

IBSNOWEDIN

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
mine is having a pretty loud hissing sound aswell hmmm... jus notice it after turning everything off in my living room.

Had it on automatic then switch it to reduced and their was no difference in the fan noise. hmm...

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
edesignuk said:
New iMacs have quite a few noise related issues, Apple seem to be sending out a lot of power supplies and "planes" (????).

They're sending me a "plane" for my iMac this week :rolleyes:

Just give 'em a call.

Maybe its to shave a few inches off the edge of your case?? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.