PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Recovery

xman1999
Oct 19, 2004, 01:56 PM
Hi,

Any recommendations on a company that does Hard Disk Recovery? I just got quoted by Disk Doctors out of San Jose for $1650 for a 40GB drive that came back with:

Media Errors Detected.
Unstable Head Disk Assembly (unable to read/write).

Any help will be appriciated

Robert
rramirez1999@earthlink.net

crazzyeddie
Oct 19, 2004, 05:07 PM
Ouch, $1650? What about Drive Savers... I've seen their advertisements in MacAddict.

Apple Hobo
Oct 19, 2004, 05:52 PM
Drive Savers is very expensive, as are most reputable recovery services. Don't expect to pay much less than $1,000 (+/- $200) for a drive recovery.

Mechcozmo
Oct 19, 2004, 06:33 PM
Next time, use SMART testing to see when it will fail so you can postpone your backups until the week before it fails.

Otherwise, you are pretty much paying what I would expect...that sucks!

yellow
Oct 19, 2004, 07:23 PM
Thumbs up to DriveSavers. It's interesting to note that they are the only recovery company allowed to work on most hard drives without voiding the HD's warranty. That speaks pretty well for them..

And yes, $1600 is not outrageous. Most companies give sliding scale quotes (depending on difficulty and amount of data recovered) for an average of $600-$2500. A pretty big slide, eh? It's a good reason to back up that important data.

As for S.M.A.R.T., it's not that reliable.. this is still pretty new technology. In my experience, when it does work properly and tells you the drive is failing, you have very, very little time to actually back up.

Mechcozmo
Oct 20, 2004, 06:20 PM
As for S.M.A.R.T., it's not that reliable.. this is still pretty new technology. In my experience, when it does work properly and tells you the drive is failing, you have very, very little time to actually back up.

A drive in my WinTel is supposed to die in April, 05. It takes longer to spin up...and actually I can tell this because when I open a file/document on that drive it takes longer than normal to open up.