PDA

View Full Version : Formac unveils new Gallery Xtreme LCD line

MacBytes
Oct 19, 2004, 02:50 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Formac unveils new Gallery Xtreme LCD line (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041019155015)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

edesignuk
Oct 19, 2004, 02:59 PM
That is very nice, great specs, great look, great price :cool:.

zelmo
Oct 19, 2004, 03:03 PM
Pretty spiffy looking, but they don't look as nice next to a PowerMac as an Apple CD does.
As soon as I get a "spare" $13,000, I'm getting me a dual 2.5 with all the extras and dual 30" displays! Or maybe a car....or a down payment on a house...how many times do you have to look under the sofa cushions to find $13,000 in loose change?

Blue Velvet
Oct 19, 2004, 03:48 PM
Nice price...

...but really hate those black feet.

I hoped that they'd get away from that previous form but they've made things worse by drawing attention to those curved feet by dipping them in black paint.

Capt Underpants
Oct 19, 2004, 04:12 PM
It has the same, or better specs than apple's 20" monitor. There's a $400 difference in price, which is substantial. The design may be lacking, but I'd take one over the apple display.

neonart
Oct 19, 2004, 05:52 PM
I've had my Gallery 2010 Platinum for years now, and it's been incredible! So bright and crisp, it made Apple displays look bad for a long time.

At this new price, getting over the black feet is not a bad idea. Interesting is that this 20" has a better resolution than Apple's. The "widescreen" thing is nice, but most people read up and down, and watch DVD's alot less on their computers. The extra 150 pixels on the Formac are very useful for web surfing, typing documents, looking at long iTunes libraries, etc.

For those getting a G5, this is a great option. In my case, I'll wait till pixel refresh rates drop into the single digits before I upgrade my beloved 2010.

Abstract
Oct 19, 2004, 06:08 PM
Yeah, for that price difference, I'd get this one for sure.

If you can afford to pay an extra few hundred dollars because of black feet, then just buy the Formac display and donate the rest to charity. No need to literally throw away your money for something so insignificant.

aswitcher
Oct 19, 2004, 06:45 PM
Yeah, for that price difference, I'd get this one for sure.

I will be interested to see what they appear for in Oz.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 19, 2004, 10:06 PM
after all the horror stories about support I've heard about on here, it sort of turns me off from wanting one.

If you go to the site and click "Buy" it brings up a couple options, one of which I wish Apple would offer....$99 more and you're guaranteed no dead pixels....that would be very nice.

D

J-Squire
Oct 19, 2004, 11:59 PM
I am suprised that nobody has commented on this already:

Am I the only one who finds it weird that a company offers such high quality displays in two sizes, and chooses 19" and 20" as those sizes? And the rest of the specs are the same! Where is the product differentiation. How do u decide how crucial that extra inch is??

Crazy

Abstract
Oct 20, 2004, 12:54 AM
They're going to be selling a large number of those 19"ers, I guess. ;)

But you're right. I just didn't comment because it wasn't worth thinking about for more than a second.

aswitcher
Oct 20, 2004, 01:44 AM
Where is the product differentiation. How do u decide how crucial that extra inch is??

Crazy

Now this is just begging to be commented on... :p ;)

But, no idea.

edesignuk
Oct 20, 2004, 02:09 AM
Am I the only one who finds it weird that a company offers such high quality displays in two sizes, and chooses 19" and 20" as those sizes? And the rest of the specs are the same! Where is the product differentiation. How do u decide how crucial that extra inch is??1280x1024 vs 1600x1200 ;) As ever, that extra inch seems to make all the difference :eek: :p

nagromme
Oct 20, 2004, 03:31 AM
You also have to look at DPI, and decide what meets your needs/habits.

By cramming extra pixels into the 20", Formac has opted to make everything (menus etc.) tinier than on the Apple 20" (or the 19"). Considering I'd rather not have my nose on a big display, that's a downside for me.

If I had my way I'd never use a display with more than 100 pixels packed in per inch. Until apps and UIs are truly and universally scalable.

DJY
Oct 20, 2004, 04:33 AM
I will be interested to see what they appear for in Oz.

I think the Mac1 chain stock Formac.

Little Endian
Oct 20, 2004, 06:20 AM
Apple's 20 inch Cinema Display has been overpried for a while in comparison to the 20 inch offerings of many other Companies. The nice thing about this new Formac display is it complements a G5 better than most others. A $400 price difference is a huge one especially considering the Formac Display outclasses Apple's in every respect. Widescreen does not warrant a $400 premium given that LCD prices are determined by resolution and brightness and the Formac Display offers better. I hope this puts pressure on Apple to drop the price of the 20 inch Cinema Display to $999 actually even $1099 would be nice as even at $999 we still are paying a premium for Apple but at least it's a rational Premium.

The rest of Apple's lineup of Cinema Displays are competitively priced as 23 inch LCDs for under $1900 are still hard to come buy and the 30inch has no competition in it's price class. However there are Multiple offerings equal or better to Apple's Cinema 20 inch that are well under $1000. Hopefully Apple will wake up and realize that they need a competively priced low end display offering as I assume many have and or will seek other options rather than buying from Apple. I would not be suprised if a signifigant amount of G5 owners seek other options completely bypassing Apple for a Display and I can imagine there are many PC users who like Apple's 20 inch Cinema display and would buy it if it were more competitively priced. Oh well we all know Apple likes losing buisness while making up for it by gouging the faithfull.

hydrocetacean
Oct 20, 2004, 10:16 AM
When do you think Formac will introduce a widescreen LCD monitor with comparable specifications? Any hope for by MacWorld SF 2005, or is this likely to be their only new introduction for a while?

I'd like my computer monitor purchase to serve well as my HDTV set and widescreen DVD viewer, had expected the arrival of something like that from Formac by last MacWorld SF, and have held off on buying a G-5 until some manufacturer released such a product. It seems conspicuously missing in the Formac line amidst the current environment where everything is going widescreen. Not sure whether to buy the Apple 23", the Formac Gallery Extreme 2010, or continue to wait.

neonart
Oct 20, 2004, 10:46 PM
Not sure whether to buy the Apple 23", the Formac Gallery Extreme 2010, or continue to wait.

Buy two 2010's for less than Apple's 23". ;)

I'm not a dual monitor kind of guy myself, but I don't find Apples monitors that much better than the competition, except in design. I would seek to Samsung, Sony, or other high profile LCD maker that has the same specs (or better) as Apple's 23" and see what it's worth. Your monitor should be of great quality to fully enjoy OSX, games, etc. But a high quality monitor without an Apple logo will provide the same enjoyment.

Fender
Oct 22, 2004, 11:42 AM
When do you think Formac will introduce a widescreen LCD monitor with comparable specifications? Any hope for by MacWorld SF 2005, or is this likely to be their only new introduction for a while?

I'm pretty sure that's about it from Formac. I don't see them introducting these only to come out a short time later with widescreen versions.

These Formac LCDs are a great bargain, although I would stick to the Apple LCDs personally. Perhaps, I'll get a Formac 2010 for my gaming PC. :cool:

panphage
Oct 22, 2004, 08:43 PM
The extra 150 pixels on the Formac are very useful for web surfing, typing documents, looking at long iTunes libraries, etc.

Ok, maybe this is nit-picking, but isn't it "extra 156 THOUSAND pixels"?

neonart
Oct 22, 2004, 11:41 PM
Ok, maybe this is nit-picking, but isn't it "extra 156 THOUSAND pixels"?

Formac 2010 is 1600x1200=1,920,000 pixels. Apple 20" is 1600x1050=1,680,000 pixels (or 1600 pixels across times the 150 extra pixels down in the Formac LCD)

So the difference is actually 240,000 pixels, but I get what you mean. The difference is alot more noticeable when you put it this way. I was just talking about the amount of pixels straight down in a line, which is not the best way to appreciate it.

Abstract
Oct 23, 2004, 05:01 AM
These Formac LCDs are a great bargain, although I would stick to the Apple LCDs personally.

Why?

Fender
Oct 23, 2004, 09:19 AM
Why? I just prefer widescreen to be honest.

CaptainHaddock
Oct 23, 2004, 06:34 PM
Formac 2010 is 1600x1200=1,920,000 pixels. Apple 20" is 1600x1050=1,680,000 pixels (or 1600 pixels across times the 150 extra pixels down in the Formac LCD)

So the difference is actually 240,000 pixels…

Actually, the Apple 20" should be 1680 x 1050. 1,764,000 pixels, only 156,000 (8%) fewer than the Formac.

Personally, I like the widescreen monitor format better. It lets me have a long document in an editing window (in, say, Photoshop or InDesign) and three columns of tool palettes floating beside it. Or I can work in one document with two other documents visible beside it for reference.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 23, 2004, 06:57 PM
These Formac LCDs are a great bargain, although I would stick to the Apple LCDs personally.
I refuse to use any LCD that isn't 100 ppi - Apple's displays are what I'd go with first. I don't understand why other LCD makers use >100 ppi for determining their resolutions, since I can't read displays like that very well. The LCDs on the Dells at my school are like this, and I don't like them one bit.