PDA

View Full Version : Uptown Minneapolis, MN

cleric
Jun 15, 2010, 08:07 PM
Store opens June 19th 2010.

iPhone day on the 24th. Be there or be square!

Now do I try and park there or just walk, decisions decisions.

Unoriginator
Jun 15, 2010, 08:15 PM
I just heard about this store like 20 minutes ago when I tried to preorder an iPhone.

This is interesting. Uptown isn't far from where I work, so I can check the place out when I'm in the area.

Paix247
Jun 18, 2010, 12:03 PM
Did this store take iPhone 4 reservations? I reserved at Southdale. I wonder if they'd transfer my reservation... Southdale Mall doesn't open their doors until 7am that day, so there is no place to lineup.

cleric
Jun 18, 2010, 12:06 PM
Did this store take iPhone 4 reservations? I reserved at Southdale. I wonder if they'd transfer my reservation... Southdale Mall doesn't open their doors until 7am that day, so there is no place to lineup.

Yes they did take reservations for iPhone 4, I pre-ordered mine there.

Paix247
Jun 18, 2010, 12:09 PM
Yes they did take reservations for iPhone 4, I pre-ordered mine there.

Are you going there tomorrow to get a free t-shirt?

Sketchr
Jun 18, 2010, 12:38 PM
Store opens July 19th 2010.

iPhone day on the 24th. Be there or be square!

Now do I try and park there or just walk, decisions decisions.

June 19th or July 19th?

Toppa G's
Jun 18, 2010, 01:20 PM

Southdale doesn't open til 7? I've got a reservation there, but I didn't plan on being there before 7 anyway. Should be interesting to see people racing across the mall trying to establish their place in line :D

SingBlueSilver
Jun 18, 2010, 03:20 PM
The option for the Uptown store was greyed out for me and I was unable to select it. I preordered as soon as possible and completed order by 3:08 AM. How were you able to select uptown? I just drove by there too and they aren't done building it yet.

Toppa G's
Jun 18, 2010, 03:39 PM
June 19th or July 19th?

June 19...

http://www.apple.com/retail/uptown/

Paix247
Jun 18, 2010, 05:05 PM
Southdale doesn't open til 7? I've got a reservation there, but I didn't plan on being there before 7 anyway. Should be interesting to see people racing across the mall trying to establish their place in line :D

My response from Southdale Center:

Hi Brandon,

Mall doors at Southdale open at 7:00 am most days, unless it's a special holiday or the day after Thanksgiving. We keep this information on the website for your future reference.

We are aware of the Apple Store product release, and we will keep our usual opening time of 7:00 am that day.

Thanks for your inquiry!

Anne-Marie Cookson
Director of Marketing & Business Development
Simon Property Group/Southdale Center
10 Southdale Center
Edina, MN 55435
Phone: (952) 925-7890
Fax: (952) 925-7856
E-mail: acookson@simon.com

monargom
Jun 18, 2010, 06:40 PM
I sure hope this new Apple store doesn't drive First Tech out of business. :( You'd think Apple could've picked another location that wouldn't compete with such a well established independent Apple retailer. They could have picked anywhere else in the Twin Cities (downtown Mpls, anywhere in St Paul) but no... they open up shop just a few blocks away from First Tech. Not nice.

Paix247
Jun 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
I sure hope this new Apple store doesn't drive First Tech out of business. :( You'd think Apple could've picked another location that wouldn't compete with such a well established independent Apple retailer. They could have picked anywhere else in the Twin Cities (downtown Mpls, anywhere in St Paul) but no... they open up shop just a few blocks away from First Tech. Not nice.

+1
I agree. Maple Grove would have been a good spot. First Tech rocks, and I hope they can hang in there.

cleric
Jun 18, 2010, 09:00 PM
I'll probably go to the opening if I can get up in time.

I actually read that they have done this before forgot the article but other parts of the country that had a well established local retailer got an apple store. Its smart on Apples part just a little cutthroat especially to a place that has been selling computers for them since the Apple II. St. Paul would have been stupid but it seems like downtown would have been an ok idea, I'm not sure where though only thing thats readily available is Block-E which is readily available for a reason.

mplsdude
Jun 18, 2010, 09:27 PM
I'll be there around 6:30am to pick up my reserved iPhone.

I think a good place for an Apple store would also be downtown on Nicollet Mall. There is plenty of space for one there, it would do pretty well there.

Unoriginator
Jun 18, 2010, 09:36 PM
I agree with Maple Grove as a good location. They would get plenty of business in the Arbor Lakes area (which is 5 minutes from my house.;)).

cleric
Jun 18, 2010, 09:49 PM
What time do you have to get their for t-shirts? My friend said its like the first 50 people but hes highly unreliable. If I was more hardcore I would just go get blitzed and pass out in line.

Gadgetblurb
Jun 18, 2010, 10:43 PM
Hi all!

A couple of things.

I was unable to pre order from the uptown store as well.

Grand opening is tomorrow. I received an email that said the first 1,000 people will receive a tshirt. That came directly from apple.

Got my pre order at southdale as well. No reason to be there anywhere near 7am, but will be there before 10am.

See you all tomorrow at uptown!!!

Sketchr
Jun 19, 2010, 07:16 AM
I got the uptown opening email too. You'd think they would have handed out iTunes cards instead. I just can't get excited about a busy store opening for a t-shirt.

As stated above, I hope this store doesn't kill First tech. Too bad it couldn't have been located more in the downtown area.

cleric
Jun 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
Just talked to the Apple employee here about phone reservations. Apparently their computers were up and down, when they were down you would get the greyed out option. He said that their was a window in the afternoon where you could reserve one. He did say they will have unreserved phones for sale, so this might be the place to go if you didn't get a reservation.

Some photos from the opening, my iPhone apologizes for the poor quality.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/astadtler/sets/72157624185138889/

nnash
Jun 19, 2010, 11:55 AM
I go out of state for 2 weeks and they open an Apple store in uptown? That's awesome, albeit the MoA location is closer to where I live. Thanks for sharing your photos cleric.

Paix247
Jun 19, 2010, 12:45 PM
This guy thinks the line was for the iPhone launch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqsSfEjxc04

It was a great opening. We got our t-shirts, free Dunn Bros coffee & the Apple iPad case that we've been searching for. Couldn't have been a better morning!

neal.young
Jun 20, 2010, 01:44 AM
CLERIC!!!! I am the guy in the grey long sleeve shirt in the first picture in your album next to my friend in the red haha. Pretty crazy

mlpsponzischeme
Jun 20, 2010, 11:13 PM
So what are my chances of showing up at Southdale at 7 on Thursday and coming out with a phone? I'd rather wait a few weeks than stand in line for 2 hours. Any advice??

cleric
Jun 21, 2010, 04:04 AM
So what are my chances of showing up at Southdale at 7 on Thursday and coming out with a phone? I'd rather wait a few weeks than stand in line for 2 hours. Any advice??

I really think you would have better luck at Uptown which isn't that much farther. Since they didn't take as many pre-orders, but obviously I make no promises.

mixstar336
Jun 22, 2010, 03:13 PM
I really think you would have better luck at Uptown which isn't that much farther. Since they didn't take as many pre-orders, but obviously I make no promises.

Is anyone going to the uptown location? What time would you guys suggest going if you did not preorder a phone? Do you think 4am would be early enough?

anyone waited on release day before?

sueminn
Jun 23, 2010, 10:03 AM
So, I did not pre-order either. What time is anyone planning on going there?

mixstar336
Jun 23, 2010, 11:38 AM
So, I did not pre-order either. What time is anyone planning on going there?

Do you think 5AM is early enough to get in front of the lines?

cleric
Jun 23, 2010, 09:03 PM
Is anyone going to the uptown location? What time would you guys suggest going if you did not preorder a phone? Do you think 4am would be early enough?

anyone waited on release day before?

I've been to all 3 at the Mall of America, I'm not sure how bad lines are going to be for walk-in customers. There seems to be a **** load of demand for this one, more so than any of the previous ones. At all of the past ones they've never sold-out. They usually have coffee, and will probably split up walk-ins and reserved customers. Reserved customers will get to go in first I believe.

I really can't speak to what time is best to show up and what location. I just have a hunch that Uptown won't be as bad since they had less pre-order reservations and less people know the store is open, but that is all I'm basing my guess on. 5am Sound be plenty early but who knows the iPhone 4 seems to be a different beast demand wise.

mythgard
Jun 23, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm maybe 10th in line and there is a line of about 50 right now. The Apple store rep came out at about 7 and said that if the line went 2 blocks there "would be plenty" and they had "tons". Seems to be the place to be! If you come down, say hi!

neal.young
Jun 23, 2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks Mythgard! I got screwed by the AT&T authorized reseller in St. Louis Park when they guaranteed that I would get a 32GB phone on launch day, and I just found out that they would only have 16GB models. Unfortunately, I'm 17, and my parents somehow think that it's somehow "unsafe" for me to wait outside at night with tons of other people. I'll be driving my mom to work tomorrow morning, so I can take her car and hopefully get there by 630 or so. I'm really hoping that will be soon enough if they have a lot of phones.

cleric
Jun 23, 2010, 11:31 PM
I'm maybe 10th in line and there is a line of about 50 right now. The Apple store rep came out at about 7 and said that if the line went 2 blocks there "would be plenty" and they had "tons". Seems to be the place to be! If you come down, say hi!

Wow lets see some photos! You guys are hardcore, I pre-ordered and will be rolling in around 7am.

cleric
Jun 23, 2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks Mythgard! I got screwed by the AT&T authorized reseller in St. Louis Park when they guaranteed that I would get a 32GB phone on launch day, and I just found out that they would only have 16GB models. Unfortunately, I'm 17, and my parents somehow think that it's somehow "unsafe" for me to wait outside at night with tons of other people. I'll be driving my mom to work tomorrow morning, so I can take her car and hopefully get there by 630 or so. I'm really hoping that will be soon enough if they have a lot of phones.

It is unsafe you might pick up an STD from a girl coming out of the DRINK :p

mythgard
Jun 23, 2010, 11:58 PM

I hope you can get one. It is really mellow here and I wouldn't worry about any danger as everyone here is being really nice and the passers by are being cool too!

germ79
Jun 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
mythgard,

Anyway you can post around 5 or 6am about the line? I'm curious how it will be. Hope you are having fun! Wish I could join you all tonight!

Jeremy

BlondeBuddhist
Jun 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
Leaving Wisconsin in a half an hour for the Mall of America parking lot.

Estimated Arrival Time: 1 hour 30 mins!

Blonde Buddihist

mythgard
Jun 24, 2010, 12:44 AM
mythgard,

Anyway you can post around 5 or 6am about the line? I'm curious how it will be. Hope you are having fun! Wish I could join you all tonight!

Jeremy

I'll try to remember in my delirium.

Veritas&Equitas
Jun 24, 2010, 12:51 AM
Honestly, coming from a guy who's wife showed up at the Ridgedale 3G release at 7:45 am and waited for over 6 hours, I really doubt you will see a phone in less than 2 hours of waiting...but who know?

Sdlogan
Jun 24, 2010, 01:25 AM
Leaving Wisconsin in a half an hour for the Mall of America parking lot.

Estimated Arrival Time: 1 hour 30 mins!

Blonde Buddihist

What does MOA look like. How is the line in uptown ?

cleric
Jun 24, 2010, 02:22 AM
What does MOA look like. How is the line in uptown ?
I don't think the mall opens until 5am or something technically, so there will be a fun mad dash at 5am.

germ79
Jun 24, 2010, 06:55 AM
How bad is the line?

mythgard
Jun 24, 2010, 07:01 AM
How bad is the line?

Around the corner at this point, but it looks like there are plenty of iPhones.

cleric
Jun 24, 2010, 07:12 AM
Just got here I like the look of the reserve line.

neal.young
Jun 24, 2010, 07:15 AM
In line right now. Got here at 630, an employee told us we would all be getting phones, and it sounded like they had a lot.

cleric
Jun 24, 2010, 07:33 AM
Tons of bagels left at the front of the line nom nom nom! How do you not have kool-aid at an apple store?

Photos, includes the line.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/astadtler/sets/72157624347155046/

mythgard
Jun 25, 2010, 08:22 PM
In line right now. Got here at 630, an employee told us we would all be getting phones, and it sounded like they had a lot.

How are you liking your iPhone 4?

neal.young
Jun 27, 2010, 12:05 AM
Nice pics cleric, you took a pic of me in the opening line, and you got my awesome 1998 Jetta in the picture with the line.