PDA

View Full Version : G5 RAM Options...

TENBLUE7
Oct 19, 2004, 05:47 PM
...hello all.

I'm currently running a Dual 1.8 with 2GB's of RAM - all Kingston.

I've been offered 4 x 1GB Modules (400mhz, 3200 184 pin) at a stupidly low price and was wondering if they will work ok.

I had to wait nearly a month for my 512's as the store I bought them from informed that me that Apple's uniprocessor firmware update did not like non kingston/apple approved ram hence suppliers going out of stock almost instantly. I've no idea if this is true but it worries me that the RAM may not work.

Need the max amount of RAM as I do lots and lots of motion graphics work in After Effects and Cinema 4D.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Christian.

Mechcozmo
Oct 19, 2004, 06:27 PM
Take em if they are that low (and you are SURE that they are good)
Then if they don't work, sell them on eBay.

I cannot, unfortunately, give you any additional information.

TENBLUE7
Oct 19, 2004, 06:37 PM
...thanks for the reply.

They are ment to be really good modules - I've no doubt I'll buy them so I'll post the results on this thread.

And then sell the Kingson 512's and try and make some decent money back. ;)

Cheers Christian

TENBLUE7
Oct 21, 2004, 07:20 AM
...RAM arrived this morning - 4 modules of 1GB.

And it works, this is non parity non kingston third party RAM shows up fine in the profiler.

The difference from running 2GB is amazing, for instance a complex Cinema 4D file of bubbles in a 3 particle emitters all on metaball tags used to take up to ten minutes to preview on my old Dual 500 G4 running 1GB of RAM.

With the 2GB installed on my G5 it was a few minutes, now with the 4GB it's instantaneous, I can drag anywhere on the 10 second timeline and all 4 preview panes re-draw in a matter of seconds.

Tests in After Effects and photoshop are also making me laugh in disbelief, so for anyone doing lots of motion graphics/3d modelling etc etc and for people who suffer from the "I need the max of RAM because it was built for it" syndrome get yourself some third party RAM.

If your in the UK like me:

Get your RAM here... (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6715954506&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT)

I paid the same amount for these modules as I did for 4 lots of Kingston 512, no doubt some firmware update will be released or maybe Tiger - that will render the RAM useless.

Hope not.

Cheers Christian