Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
Ok so my cousins from Spain are over for summer vacation. They are pretty much the same age as me (20ish) and I noticed after going to the beach yesterday that they all had shaved armpits. I asked them why the hell they would want to do that.

I'm considering doing this myself now since they told me it helps with sweating issues (something I have an issue with :eek: ), and the chicks love it. I'm going to ask my girlfriend tomorrow what she thinks of the idea, but figured I would ask you guys first because it being 1 am in Florida calling her would get me killed :p !!!

But would it be weird if a guy where to do this in the US. I know most of my athletic friends do but I don't have that body type yet (trying to get it!)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Ok so my cousins from Spain are over for summer vacation. They are pretty much the same age as me (20ish) and I noticed after going to the beach yesterday that they all had shaved armpits. I asked them why the hell they would want to do that.

I'm considering doing this myself now since they told me it helps with sweating issues (something I have an issue with :eek: ), and the chicks love it. I'm going to ask my girlfriend tomorrow what she thinks of the idea, but figured I would ask you guys first because it being 1 am in Florida calling her would get me killed :p !!!

But would it be weird if a guy where to do this in the US. I know most of my athletic friends do but I don't have that body type yet (trying to get it!)

From an athletic standpoint, I'd say no. Good cases in point: look at any member of a men's swimming team. They'll shave the armpits, head, and legs if it meant less drag while they are in the water. Does it look weird to the typical American guy? yes. Do they know or understand why they do it? probably not. But if they taunt you about it, you could flash a gold medal that you won at some games or competition, and that would shut them right up.

In short, it doesn't matter what others think. It only matters what you think and how you feel about it.

BL.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
if it is choice between clean shaven sweaty pits and hairy sweaty pits
I go for the guy with shaven pits...
and trim the pubic hair too while at it :D

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
As a woman, I appreciate a trimmed/shaven pubic area, and hell I even shave my husbands back, but I think shaved armpits would be grounds for divorce...

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I knew, right away from the title, you were talking about Spain! :p

It's just a fad. Three years ago every fashionable guy had to shave his legs.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I think the hair actually helps lessen the effect of body oder. I saw it on a documentary on the human body, but I can't remember the name.

Really? I thought it made it worse. Sweat is held on by the hair, so it lingers and that's what makes it smell. Not certain though.

Personally....I think it's pretty weird. Please don't lump us all in with those crazy Spanish guys by saying all Europeans do it :p

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'm from the UK and I shave mine. I can't stand having freakishly long underarm hair and it definitely helps with the sweating and body odour thing. I see nothing wrong with it and you shouldn't worry what other people think, it's your body and your life. As long as you're happy that's all that matters.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Go for the middle ground and trim it with scissors. That's what I do anyway. I have shaved my armpits before and know other guys who used to as well - but that was back when we were into martial arts and all that jazz.

End of the day, go what you're comfortable with. No point doing something that will make you feel self-conscious. Some guys can do whatever they want and always feel confident, if you're of a lesser alpha disposition, you'll need to find a comfort zone and just fit in with the opinions of the sort of people you associate with.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
If you're not the athletic, obsessive swimmer type of guy, trim them at most. I'd think it looked extremely girly if I saw a guy with no armpit hair, but then again, I probably wouldn't look in the first place and if I did my opinion doesn't matter.

Try it. If you like it, stick with it. If you don't, grow it out again.

I'm thankful I'm not that hairy. :p

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Really? I thought it made it worse. Sweat is held on by the hair, so it lingers and that's what makes it smell. Not certain though.

Personally....I think it's pretty weird. Please don't lump us all in with those crazy Spanish guys by saying all Europeans do it :p

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_hair
wikipedia said:
It has been suggested that the hair itself acts with a natural "anti-friction" quality between the upper arm and the thorax. More importantly, armpit hair naturally wicks moisture away from the skin, which aids in keeping the skin dry enough to prevent colonization by odor-producing bacteria.

EV0LUTION

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Florida
Talked with the girlfriend she said go ahead and try it, if she hates she will let me know lol.

I will report on my venture!

lmao this is so weird

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My girlfriend wanted me to try it so I could understand what she has to go through. I tried it once and it wasn't so pleasant! Was itchy for days. I don't sweat much anyways so I guess there's no benefit for me.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
A little manscaping is definitely a good thing, but to completely shave the pits? Yeah, not for me.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I've never even trimmed my armpits, I find them being just fine. I know some people who do but it looks ugly, especially with small stubble.

Please, don't generalize Europeans ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
From an athletic standpoint, I'd say no. Good cases in point: look at any member of a men's swimming team. They'll shave the armpits, head, and legs if it meant less drag while they are in the water. Does it look weird to the typical American guy? yes. Do they know or understand why they do it? probably not. But if they taunt you about it, you could flash a gold medal that you won at some games or competition, and that would shut them right up.

In other words, you better be going for a gold medal at the London Olympics if you're going to pull this off.

The hair absorbs the sweat so that if you're running or doing athletics, or just standing there on a hot day, the sweat doesn't just trickle down your sides or get absorbed entirely by your shirt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.