PDA

View Full Version : Who can become a Developer for the $500

TheBunnellFarm
Oct 19, 2004, 09:34 PM
And what hardware discount would come with it, I already get the student discount on hardware like every other student ie duel G5 for $2699 vs $2999 retail. I`m not taking computer classes.

Thanks

I'm hoping for 20% off student discounts or retail, and that it`s open to whoever would want to join.

Edot
Oct 19, 2004, 10:36 PM
And what hardware discount would come with it, I already get the student discount on hardware like every other student ie duel G5 for $2699 vs $2999 retail. I`m not taking computer classes.

Thanks

I'm hoping for 20% off student discounts or retail, and that it`s open to whoever would want to join.

Anyone can join, but if you are not a developer you should not become a member for the discount. The discount is a once a year only thing. You only get one order per year at the discounted price. The most I have seen discounted is on the PowerMac G5 which is $600 off. So if this is the computer you are getting you save $100. Actually you spend more than the normal student discount which you save $300.

You can browse the discounts here
http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

Again if the only reason you want to join is to get the discounts then don't. It will be a waste of money. However, if you are truly a student, you could join the Student Developer Program and still get a ONE TIME (Once per Life) discount. The membership is $100. You MUST prove that you are a student though. You HAVE to send Apple a copy of School ID and Documentation that you are a student.

SilentPanda
Oct 19, 2004, 10:38 PM
You MUST prove that you are a student though. You HAVE to send Apple a copy of School ID and Documentation that you are a student.

Not only a student but a student taking comp sci type classes...

Edot
Oct 19, 2004, 10:40 PM
Not only a student but a student taking comp sci type classes...

I don't think that is true. From the FAQ.

Q: How do I verify my student status so my membership can be activated?
A: The Apple Developer Connection must verify student status before we can fully activate an ADC Student membership. Once you have purchased the membership, please fax a copy of your picture ID (drivers license, passport, student ID, etc.) along with a current or upcoming course schedule or other official proof of enrollment from your college/ university to:

I think proof of enrollment is all they require.

TheBunnellFarm
Oct 19, 2004, 10:46 PM
and a lot of other computer things in my small town. Computers and software top to bottom you might say.

TheBunnellFarm
Oct 19, 2004, 10:51 PM
Does the discount apply to the addons to the computer as well.

Edot
Oct 19, 2004, 11:32 PM
Does the discount apply to the addons to the computer as well.

Yes, but again I don't think you will notice any savings greater than the normal student discount. Remember you have to pay $500. It is all clearly stated on the developers website.