PDA

View Full Version : Albuquerque, NM

cwubbels
Jun 16, 2010, 11:07 AM
Anyone planning on camping/getting there extremely early for iPhone 4?

bmtuser
Jun 16, 2010, 01:10 PM
I doubt ABQ will be that packed but I plan on standing in line at 6:30am.

cwubbels
Jun 16, 2010, 01:40 PM

bmtuser
Jun 17, 2010, 10:39 AM
Wow! I didn't know that many people showed up that early for the iPad event. Now I have to rethink my planning. As long as I get out of there by 12pm I will be fine.

Roessnakhan
Jun 17, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'll probably get there about 6-6:15A. I don't expect that many people. Land of maņana. ;)

Elysian
Jun 17, 2010, 11:02 AM
Way back when I was just a little bitty boy living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait shop.... :D

(If anyone gets that reference....)

Roessnakhan
Jun 17, 2010, 11:03 AM
Way back when I was just a little bitty boy living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait shop.... :D

(If anyone gets that reference....)

When he came here years ago I heard he kept ad-libbing the song until it was like 22 minutes long. :p

bmtuser
Jun 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'll probably get there about 6-6:15A. I don't expect that many people. Land of maņana. ;)

Lol! I am worried about the people that are new to NM.

yogurtmac
Jun 17, 2010, 12:36 PM
Im plannin on being at ABQ around 630 ish. Line surely won't be thaaaat long.

cwubbels
Jun 17, 2010, 12:56 PM

LimeyYankee
Jun 18, 2010, 10:50 PM
Looks like I'll meet you'all there around 6 til 6:30 ish :)

mizzouxc
Jun 18, 2010, 11:06 PM
Anyone planning on camping/getting there extremely early for iPhone 4?

I pre-ordered, so I'll just pick it up after work.

protekt0r
Jun 19, 2010, 01:01 AM
I pre-ordered too and am not planning on getting there in the morning. I've got all day to grab it ;-)

Didn't some fool camp out overnight for the iPad launch though?

Payco
Jun 19, 2010, 01:03 AM
I was actually wondering if anyone knew how busy the iPad release was. I want to be there when the doors open, but I also need to be at work between 8 and 8:30, so I need to figure out how long it will take to get through. What time are you thinking of getting there, cwubbles?

cwubbels
Jun 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
I was actually wondering if anyone knew how busy the iPad release was. I want to be there when the doors open, but I also need to be at work between 8 and 8:30, so I need to figure out how long it will take to get through. What time are you thinking of getting there, cwubbles?

Well I have one reserved so 6:30am sounds about right. No need to get their too early for a reserved phone. :rolleyes:

Payco
Jun 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
Well I have one reserved so 6:30am sounds about right. No need to get their too early for a reserved phone. :rolleyes:

That's what I was hoping, but your multiple "..." posts made it look like you thought the store was gonna be packed. I have no idea how long the reserves lines have moved for previous releases, so a packed house sounds scary.

RaNdOm
Jun 21, 2010, 09:13 AM
I didn't get a chance to pre-order so my BF and I are going to go and try to get one of the "extra" phones they may have. I don't know when we will go, but I'm sure it will be EARLY.

jtlivesinabq
Jun 21, 2010, 09:47 PM
I didn't pre-order the iPhone 4G, but was told by the sales guy at the AT&T retail store (in Uptown Shopping Center) that I should come out at 4am or so to stand in line. I'm new to Albuquerque so I don't know what the iPhone-launch mentality is here. For those who have some idea of what it's like here, do you expect the line to be 75+ people long by 4am? I was told that the AT&T retail store will probably carry 75 phones for those without pre-orders. I know this is the land of tomorrow and all, but the iPhone 4G seems to be a bigger deal than its predecessors, so I'm wondering if people will come out in droves for this launch.

RaNdOm
Jun 22, 2010, 05:58 PM
well I don't know if I would stand outside of AT&T based on the recent news that AT&T will not allow "walk in" orders for the iphone until June 29th. So your best bet is going to Apple in Uptown. You could also try Wal-mart, but who knows how many if any they are getting.

jtlivesinabq
Jun 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
OK, somebody help me understand this, please - if you pre-ordered the phone, why would you go pick it up at the store? Wouldn't you wait to receive it at home or wherever it's shipped to? Also, when people use the term "reserve," is it synonymous with pre-order? I just spoke with an AT&T customer rep and he told me that those who placed pre-orders should not have to wait in line or go to the store for a pick up. So, doesn't that mean the limited supply of iPhones that Apple and AT&T will receive on the 24th will be available to walk-ins? Also, I thought AT&T retail stores all operate differently and are not obligated to adhere to the global AT&T policies on how and to whom they distribute the iPhone 4G...so if AT&T issued a statement declaring walk-ins won't get their iPhone 4G until the 29th, does this apply to all AT&T retail store? Anybody? I'm confused as hell about all of this. Might just stick with the iPhone 3GS...nothing wrong with it.

sandbaby
Jun 22, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hoping lot of people can live with your iPhone 3GS, I can't live with my 2007 EnV anymore. Me and my dude will probably try to be there by 6AM. We'll cruise by the night before too, see if anyone's started camping yet. :eek:

Payco
Jun 23, 2010, 08:24 AM
OK, somebody help me understand this, please - if you pre-ordered the phone, why would you go pick it up at the store? Wouldn't you wait to receive it at home or wherever it's shipped to? Also, when people use the term "reserve," is it synonymous with pre-order? I just spoke with an AT&T customer rep and he told me that those who placed pre-orders should not have to wait in line or go to the store for a pick up. So, doesn't that mean the limited supply of iPhones that Apple and AT&T will receive on the 24th will be available to walk-ins? Also, I thought AT&T retail stores all operate differently and are not obligated to adhere to the global AT&T policies on how and to whom they distribute the iPhone 4G...so if AT&T issued a statement declaring walk-ins won't get their iPhone 4G until the 29th, does this apply to all AT&T retail store? Anybody? I'm confused as hell about all of this. Might just stick with the iPhone 3GS...nothing wrong with it.

I'm not sure what the policy is for AT&T franchises doing their own thing. I do think you should check in with that store today and see what their inventory says- they should know today how many units they're getting total and how many are reserved.

As for the pre-order/reserve thing: Yes, a reserve is basically someone who pre-ordered it to be delivered to the store instead of to their house. This is often because they either like the morning-of hype, or had some reason why delivering it to their home would be difficult- I'm not sure my hostess will be at my house tomorrow, so I'd rather just pick it up. What's more, when I went online (literally the minute the servers opened up), AT&T's server was unable to tell Apple's server that I deserved a discount. I therefore decided that it was best to get my phone from the store, where they have to do an upgrade check when they add the phone to your account. Besides, I'd like to see how the bumpers look/feel/act before I buy one for my phone.

Hoping lot of people can live with your iPhone 3GS, I can't live with my 2007 EnV anymore. Me and my dude will probably try to be there by 6AM. We'll cruise by the night before too, see if anyone's started camping yet. :eek:

My hostess went by the Apple store yesterday at 9, and there were already 4 guys camping out. I'm assuming they haven't reserved anything. I'm probably going to get there between 5 and 6, because I need to get out of there and get to work as early as possible.

RaNdOm
Jun 23, 2010, 08:58 AM

This is how it is: If you "pre-ordered" the phone then that means you already paid for it and it will be shipped to your house. They agreement with AT&T does not allow people to pick the phone up at the Apple store as it MUST be shipped to the address on file with the AT&T account. It is in their rules and shipping it to the Apple store is not even a selectable option when doing the pre-order.

Now if you "reserved" the phone then that means that they have one held at the Apple store with your name on it, but you have not paid for it yet. You must go to the Apple store pick it up, pay for it, activate it, etc. If you did reserve one and do not pick it up that day (5pm or closing; there is debate about this) then it goes into the pool for walk-ins to pick up.

If you are a walk-in then you have only a small number of phones that you can get because the number set aside for walkins is very small.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

protekt0r
Jun 23, 2010, 10:26 AM

To answer your question about why one would pre-order and pick up in store:

I woke up at 4AM MST to pre-order my iPhone and I was successful in doing so. However, the option to ship to my home was not working. The only way I could successfully pre-order the iPhone was to pick it up @ the Apple store. AT&T's website was already MIA by 4AM.

As someone already stated, some people do the in-store pick up because they enjoy the hype and excitement of waiting in line. I have done this before and it is actually fun. If you enjoy the company of other iPhone enthusiasts, it's a memorable experience.